Ted Stevens (R-AK) guilty of corruption

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Ted Stevens (R-AK) guilty of corruption

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Link
Washington D.C., USA -- Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens was convicted of seven corruption charges Monday in a trial that tainted the 40-year Senate career of Alaska's political patriarch.

The verdict, coming just days before Election Day, adds further uncertainty to a closely watched Senate race. Democrats hope to seize the once reliably Republican seat as part of their bid for a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

Stevens, 84, was convicted of all seven charges he faced of lying about free home renovations and other gifts he received from a wealthy oil contractor. Jurors began deliberating Wednesday at noon.

Stevens faces up to five years in prison on each count when he is sentenced Jan. 26, but under federal sentencing guidelines, he is likely to receive much less prison time, if any.
This might just be a bombshell dropped on the McCain campaign. What did Palin know, and when did she know it?
Diocletian had the right idea.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Re: Ted Stevens (R-AK) guilty of corruption

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Jesus Christ.

What's wrong with this picture?
Diocletian had the right idea.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

:lol: Out of curiousity, has Fox ever got that Democrat/Rebublican ID right?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Captain Seafort wrote::lol: Out of curiousity, has Fox ever got that Democrat/Rebublican ID right?
Yes, when it shows the Republicans as valiant defenders of american values.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Only if it really is a democrat. But if it's a Republican, you can bet there's a D next to his name.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:What's wrong with this picture?
If Guinness included "wrongly identifying a statesman's party membership", FOX would forever be peerless in that category. And to include a note: it's always the case that if FOX is reporting on a politician found guilty of something, if his party membership is wrongly identified, it will only ever be as a Democrat.

Or does someone here have an example of a Democrat found guilty of something wrongly identified as a Republican?
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Bwahahaha! Have fun browsing the Series of Tubes behind bars ya sneaky old fart! :lol:
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

At this point it comes as no surprise that Fox misidentified his party. They've done it previously, and they've been caught doing even more egregious things, such as using really poor photoshopping to ugly up a couple of reporters critical of the network. Fox News is complete dogshit, and if the FCC and truth in advertising laws worked in a sensible way, it would not be allowed to present itself as news.

I honestly don't think this will affect the presidential race, because Palin has done a good job constructing a false narrative about fighting the Alaska good ol' boy network, and in large part the media have swallowed it. In fact she might well come out and say that this was exactly the thing that she fought in Alaska and golly, she's gonna fight it in Washington, too!

But it is going to cost the Republicans that senate seat, because it is far too late to replace Stevens with anybody and it frankly isn't possible to win a Senate election as a convicted felon. The polls were running neck and neck prior to the verdict being handed down, and with the conviction for corruption the gig is up. Also, I think that if Stevens somehow won anyway in some kind of staggering upset, the Senate should definitely expel him. It would be a complete disgrace to the concept of representative democracy to seat a public official after they'd been convicted on seven counts of corruption.
Icehawk wrote:Bwahahaha! Have fun browsing the Series of Tubes behind bars ya sneaky old fart! :lol:
He's not serving a day in jail. He's 84 years old, the most important public figure in Alaska and the chairmen of their political machine, and has been convicted of a white collar offense. His punishment will be to live out his twilight years in disgrace.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:At this point it comes as no surprise that Fox misidentified his party. They've done it previously, and they've been caught doing even more egregious things, such as using really poor photoshopping to ugly up a couple of reporters critical of the network. Fox News is complete dogshit, and if the FCC and truth in advertising laws worked in a sensible way, it would not be allowed to present itself as news.
It's gotten to the point where I'd be more surprised if Fox didn't put a D in front of the latest Republican to do the walk of shame.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Good, now take his name off the airport.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

They're simply trying to keep their viewership completely isolated from the outside world.

Is it possible for the democratic party to launch a suit showing a pattern of faulty identification sufficient to indicate malignant intent? It might come off as somewhat bad publicity for the party, but surely it couldn't help Fox News? How wide ranging an injunction could result? Presently, perhaps considering the demographics, it probably would be a waste of resources.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Is someone keeping a running count of all the times they conveniently misidentify these clowns as Democrat?
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:Jesus Christ.

What's wrong with this picture?
When the news broke that Stevens was convinced, Democratic Underground ran a poll on whether Fox News would do it. There is something seriously wrong about the bunch of lunatics that is DU making any sense whatsoever.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Looking at the screen, it looks like the signage is for "Fox 29". Was that actually the broadcast on Fox NEws and the picked it up on their cable network, or is that just from one of the affiliates? A quick google check shows that the "Fox 29" logo on the screen is the logo of a Fox Station in *fakes shock and surprise* Florida.

http://www.wflxfox29.com/

Not that i'd be surprised either way if it was all of Fox News or just this station, it's still a case of horrible journalism.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ghetto Edit:

I don't want to look like an apologist for Faux News at all by any means, but it was something I felt like looking into before getting really annoyed about it.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Looking at the screen, it looks like the signage is for "Fox 29". Was that actually the broadcast on Fox NEws and the picked it up on their cable network, or is that just from one of the affiliates? A quick google check shows that the "Fox 29" logo on the screen is the logo of a Fox Station in *fakes shock and surprise* Florida.
The Philadelphia Fox 29 has that "You decide 2008" logo on their website, so it might be them. Either way, it's probably not News Corp's Fox News.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The biggest thing wrong with that picture is that Ted Stevens is leaving the courtroom without a new set of silver bracelets.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dominus Atheos wrote: The Philadelphia Fox 29 has that "You decide 2008" logo on their website, so it might be them. Either way, it's probably not News Corp's Fox News.
I think the "You Decide" is universal to all of the Fox affiliates, but the specific "Fox 29" doesn't match anything I saw on the Philly network's website like it did on the Palm Beach one.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

It is definately a local broadcast network FOX affiliate. While it is part of the larger News Corps enterprise they are not part of Fox News Channel which is a seperate venture under Murdoch's umbrella. Fox News gives us O'Reilley and FOX gives us The Simpsons so there is a bit of difference.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

CmdrWilkens wrote:It is definately a local broadcast network FOX affiliate. While it is part of the larger News Corps enterprise they are not part of Fox News Channel which is a seperate venture under Murdoch's umbrella. Fox News gives us O'Reilley and FOX gives us The Simpsons so there is a bit of difference.
It could have been Fox News breaking into a FOX network broadcast. I think they do that for special reports, though I don't know if they did that for the Stevens conviction.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

Can and should the Democrats sue Fox News for libel, by branding the Republicans delibrately as Dems?

Fox is deliberately lieing to its viewers. Someone could possibly claim that calling themselves a news service is false advertising then.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Ekiqa wrote:Can and should the Democrats sue Fox News for libel, by branding the Republicans delibrately as Dems?

Fox is deliberately lieing to its viewers. Someone could possibly claim that calling themselves a news service is false advertising then.
Fox got sued for just that- lying. They defended lying during news broadcasts as freedom of speech, and won the right to continue doing it while being a news agency. No shit.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

RedImperator wrote: I think they do that for special reports, though I don't know if they did that for the Stevens conviction.
MOst of the cable news networks do, but I don't think this is the case. Unless there is a good reason that Fox News would use the coverage from an affiliate in Florida for this case.

Magus
Padawan Learner

Post by Magus »

Ekiqa wrote:Can and should the Democrats sue Fox News for libel, by branding the Republicans delibrately as Dems?
You can't libel more than 60 people at a time.
"As James ascended the spiral staircase towards the tower in a futile attempt to escape his tormentors, he pondered the irony of being cornered in a circular room."