Fred Thompson will run in the Repub primaries...

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Fred Thompson will run in the Repub primaries...

Post by Glocksman »

According to this USA TODAY article
TAMFORD, Conn. — Politician-turned-actor Fred Thompson has been coy with audiences as he flirts with a bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

In an interview with USA TODAY, however, the former Tennessee senator not only makes it clear that he plans to run, he describes how he aims to do it. He's planning an unconventional campaign using blogs, video posts and other Internet innovations to reach voters repelled by politics-as-usual in both parties.

"I can't remember exactly the point that I said, 'I'm going to do this,' " Thompson says, his 6-foot, 6-inch frame sprawled comfortably across a couch in a hotel suite. "But when I did, the thing that occurred to me: 'I'm going to tell people that I am thinking about it and see what kind of reaction I get to it.' "

His late start carries some problems but also "certain advantages," he says. "Nobody has maxed out to me" in contributions, he notes, and using the Internet already "has allowed me to be in the hunt, so to speak, without spending a dime."

Thompson could reshape a GOP contest in which each of the three leaders has significant vulnerabilities and none of the seven second-tier contenders has broken through. Without formally joining the race — he's preparing to do that as early as the first week of July — Thompson already is placing third and better among Republican candidates in some national polls.

Dissatisfaction among one-third of Republicans with the 2008 field has opened the door for the candidate whose folksy tone, actor's ease before an audience and conservative credentials drew comparisons to Ronald Reagan at the annual Connecticut GOP dinner here. Thompson addressed the dinner last week to a sold-out audience.

"People listen to him and see someone who's very comfortable with who he is and confident about what he believes in," state Republican chairman Chris Healy says. "That's a skill that, obviously, Ronald Reagan took to great heights."

Thompson, who's left a five-season stint playing Manhattan District Attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's Law & Order, says his model will be the untraditional campaign he ran for the Senate in 1994.

After a lackluster start, Thompson swapped his suit for a plaid shirt and began driving a pickup across the state in a bid to fill the final two years of Al Gore's term. Despite his background as a Washington lawyer and lobbyist, Thompson derided Congress as larded with legislators who had lost touch with their constituents and principles.

He swamped his Democratic opponent by 21 percentage points in a year Republicans capitalized on anti-pathy to President Clinton to win control of the House and Senate.

"I feel some of the same feelings that I felt in the latter part of that '94 campaign about what is going on in the country today — only greater," says Thompson, citing public cynicism toward the Republican president and the new Democrat-controlled Congress. "You can't drive the truck all the way across the country, but since '94 other opportunities have opened up in terms of ways to communicate."

A candidate could use the Internet "to cut through the clutter and go right to the people," he says.

And the truck, now parked at his mother's home in Franklin, Tenn.? "You might drive it a few places."

It's rare: The Republican presidential nomination is as up-for-grabs as the Democratic one.

Even in Connecticut — the backyard of former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and a state whose primary Arizona Sen. John McCain carried in 2000 — many Republican activists are still trying to decide whom to support.

"We're looking for someone who can be dynamic, who can bring together the troops," Stephen Bessette, 44, a Stonington selectman, says as he waits for Thompson to speak. "There are still people with their hands in their pockets, waiting for the right candidate."

'A disconnect out there'

None of the current contenders seems to have the stuff to win an "uphill battle" in the general election, says John Nazzaro, 49, a member of the GOP state central committee. He wonders if Thompson's persona might fare better.

Despite what seems to have been a charmed life as politician and actor, Thompson can project an outsider's demeanor — as much the working-class kid from Lawrenceburg, Tenn., as the celebrity who now lives in the tony Washington suburb of McLean, Va. He has a Southern drawl, a loping gait, a lined face and a balding pate.

Although he's never spotlighted the social issues that energize much of the Republican base, Thompson consistently voted against abortion and in favor of gun rights in the Senate. Giuliani's support of abortion rights and Romney's conversion to oppose them have raised qualms among some social conservatives toward them.

On Iraq, Thompson voted to authorize the invasion in 2002 and now opposes setting a timetable to withdraw U.S. troops. Still, his fortunes aren't as inextricably tied to the war as those of McCain, one of the war's leading defenders.

In any case, Thompson argues that Republicans lost control of the House and Senate in November not because of the war but because of out-of-control spending and unrestrained partisanship. What's surprising is that Democrats didn't gain more ground, he says.

"It's been kind of a pox on both your houses," he says. "There's a disconnect out there between the people and Washington. — It seems lately whoever has power, whoever has control makes the same predictable mistakes." His campaign themes: tighter borders, smaller government, lower taxes.

He says he knows a primary campaign won't be easy. Most of the top GOP strategists have signed up with other campaigns. The current contenders have a head-start on fundraising.

And some skeptics question whether Thompson has the drive for a national campaign. "He didn't have a particularly distinguished Senate career, though that has never been a bar to anybody else being president," says David Keene, president of the American Conservative Union. "The book on him is he's lazy. I don't know whether that's true or not."

Thompson bristles at the suggestion he's lazy or running on a lark — dismissing them as "shots by concerned future competitors." He acknowledges a campaign involves "working your fanny off" and predicts his late start means he'll need less money than the others. He made his first appeal to 100 fundraisers in a conference call Tuesday.

He hopes to make a splash by amassing an impressive fundraising total on Monday, when he forms a testing-the-waters committee. The formal campaign is to be launched around the Fourth of July.

Volunteer State volunteers

The Tennessee Republican running for president in 2008 was supposed to be former Sen. Bill Frist.

Then Frist announced in November he was retiring from politics. That weekend, Tennessee Rep. Zach Wamp met with former Sen. Howard Baker as part of an effort to persuade Toyota to locate an assembly plant in Chattanooga.

That campaign failed — Toyota announced in February the plant would go to Tupelo, Miss. — but a presidential draft was launched.

Wamp asked Baker, Thompson's mentor, to call Thompson and urge him to jump in the presidential race. "You've known him a long time," Baker replied, according to Wamp. "Call him yourself."

Thompson had been re-elected to the Senate in 1996 and briefly considered a presidential bid before the 2000 race. In 2002, however, devastated when his 38-year-old daughter, Elizabeth Panici, died of an accidental prescription-drug overdose, he decided not to run for another Senate term.

He signed on for the Law & Order role — he has been a character actor since playing himself as a whistle-blower's lawyer in a 1985 movie about a Tennessee political scandal — and went on the speaking circuit. He began blogging and regularly appearing on ABC Radio, sometimes filling in for idiosyncratic commentator Paul Harvey. Divorced for nearly 20 years, he married Jeri Kehn, a Washington lawyer, in 2002. They have a 4-year-old daughter and a 6-month-old son.

When Wamp first called, Thompson demurred. When none of the GOP candidates seemed to catch fire, he reconsidered. In February, Thompson told Wamp he was "very open-minded."

In March, Thompson announced on Fox News Sunday that he was "going to leave the door open" to a bid. Two weeks later, he finished in third place among Republicans in a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll, beating Romney out of the box and trailing only Giuliani and McCain.

In April, he disclosed that he had been diagnosed in 2004 with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, though he says the slow-growing cancer hasn't caused him any problems and his doctors tell him he may well live a normal lifespan.

A video offensive

Last week, he won an unofficial straw poll of GOP activists in Georgia, besting by 2-1 the No. 2 finisher — former House speaker Newt Gingrich, who's from Georgia and isn't formally in the race yet, either.

His biggest challenge, Thompson says, will be to avoid getting cautious — that is, to forget the lessons he learned in his 1994 plaid-shirt-and-red-truck campaign.

Consider how he responded two weeks ago when liberal filmmaker Michael Moore challenged him to a debate on health care and called him a hypocrite for favoring embargoed Havana cigars. Thompson had chided Moore's new documentary, Sicko, which unfavorably compares the U.S. health care system with the one in Cuba.

" 'Jeri said, 'You know, we could have some fun,' " Thompson recalls. " 'Why don't you do something on the Internet?' So I got to thinking about it."

"And Mark Corallo and Ed McFadden had that camera there in 40 minutes," Jeri, who is sitting in on the interview, breaks in. Corallo and McFadden, aides to John Ashcroft when he was U.S. attorney general, have been helping Thompson behind the scenes.

In the video, sitting in at the desk in his study, Thompson seems to be studying his calendar, an unlit Montecristo in his mouth.

"You know, I've been looking at my schedule, Michael, and I don't think I have time for you," Thompson begins. "But I may be the least of your problems. You know, the next time you're down in Cuba visiting your buddy Castro, you might ask him about another documentary filmmaker. His name is Nicolas Guillen. He did something Castro didn't like, and they put him in a mental institution for several years, giving him devastating electroshock treatment.

"A mental institution, Michael," he says. "Might be something you ought to think about."

By 11:30 a.m., two hours after his first chat about the furor, the 38-second video was done. Soon it was posted on Breitbart.tv.

The challenge of his campaign will be to keep taking risks, Thompson says. "I've got to fight to have the guts enough to follow my own instincts," he says. "You're going to have good days and bad. You might as well do it your way."
Comments to follow.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Bah! could a mod change the title to 'in the' in place of 'the the'. :oops:

Anyway, this could really upset the balance right now as Thompson even without campaigning is pretty close in the polls to the 2nd and 3rd place candidates, and he's not campaigned at all as a candidate.
Some interesting times in the GOP ahead. :lol:

A Thompson vs Richardson general election would make it hard to choose indeed.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Another socially conservative and Pro-Iraq war apologetic GOP candidate. The presidential election is certainly going to be easy for me. The Republican party might as well tell Liberals not to even bother considering their candidates.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Oh, damn... I misread that as Jack Thompson. :lol:
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Will he have Jack "Hang 'em High" McCoy as his VP? :roll:
Kanye West Saves.

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Will he have Jack "Hang 'em High" McCoy as his VP? :roll:
If you're referring to the fact that he's now an actor, let me remind you that he has been elected twice to the US Senate and has a distingushed record as a US Attorney (he sent a corrupt governor to prison) and has was one of the lawyers working on the Senate Watergate committee (reportedly he was the one who prompted Sen. Baker to ask 'What did the President know, and when did he know it?'').

Frankly, his experience is greater than both John Edwards's and Barack Obama's, and is arguably equal to Hillary Clinton's.
What's next, claiming he's a Nazi because he played one on TV? :roll:

Oderint dum metuant
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Glocksman wrote:Frankly, his experience is greater than both John Edwards's and Barack Obama's, and is arguably equal to Hillary Clinton's.
The fact that he is experienced doesn't make me feel any less queasy about his socially conservative ideas and, arguably, neocon bent. Why should any decent person support this candidate?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I will never quite grasp the GOP's relationship with Hollywood actors.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Glocksman wrote:Frankly, his experience is greater than both John Edwards's and Barack Obama's, and is arguably equal to Hillary Clinton's.
The fact that he is experienced doesn't make me feel any less queasy about his socially conservative ideas and, arguably, neocon bent. Why should any decent person support this candidate?
There are some things he advocates that I disagree with (free trade, the aforementioned 'social conservative' gay rights stances, tax cuts, health care reform, and Iraq, among others), but right now he's the only viable GOP candidate who *isn't* either backtracking from his record and trying to explain away what they did in office (Romney & Guilani) or slime covered from previous scandals (Weathervane McCain).

Obviously if you're a social liberal, you wouldn't support him.

To be honest, if it wasn't for his positions on illegal immigration, I'd vote for Bill Richardson before I'd support any of the current crop of Repubs.
It's not really fair to compare him with Reagan or teh Governator because he was a successful for real US Attorney and politically involved before he went Hollywood.
Though I'm sure his acting experience helps quite a bit when it comes to dealing with audiences and looking comfortable in front of the cameras.

Oderint dum metuant
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Glocksman wrote:
It's not really fair to compare him with Reagan or teh Governator because he was a successful for real US Attorney and politically involved before he went Hollywood.
Though I'm sure his acting experience helps quite a bit when it comes to dealing with audiences and looking comfortable in front of the cameras.
It's less comparing him directly to Ray-Gun and Arnie, and more that they will happily rant against the 'Left Coast' and 'Liberal Hollywood' out of one side of their mouth, while they swoon for an actor whose on their side.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

SirNitram wrote:
Glocksman wrote:
It's less comparing him directly to Ray-Gun and Arnie, and more that they will happily rant against the 'Left Coast' and 'Liberal Hollywood' out of one side of their mouth, while they swoon for an actor whose on their side.
There is that. :lol:

And I want to add to this:
To be honest, if it wasn't for his positions on illegal immigration, I'd vote for Bill Richardson before I'd support any of the current crop of Repubs.
The Repub who comes closest for me is Ron Paul, but I think we need some form of national health care and to raise taxes (or at least let the Bush cuts expire) in order to balance the budget.
Thus I can't even support Ron Paul.

Oderint dum metuant
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So why would you even want to vote for a candidate from a Party which basically discredited itself through the current years, at all? :?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Stas Bush wrote:So why would you even want to vote for a candidate from a Party which basically discredited itself through the current years, at all? :?
Assuming Thompson can disassociate himself from the GWB 'legacy', it's because he'd be the lesser of the two evils*.

If we wind up with a Democrat that I can get behind (possibly Richardson, though I'm not real happy with his illegal immigration stances), I'd vote for him over Rudy McRomney in a heartbeat, and possibly do so against Thompson depending upon how things shake out in the coming months.

*I'm assuming that Hillary Clinton would be the Democratic candidate here, as she's the front runner.

Oderint dum metuant
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Between his life and policies, he'll be hailed by conservatives as the re-incarnation of Ronald Reagan. Considering how well Americans still perceive RR, Thompson's popularity already without even running, and how much the others in the GOP are backtracking, I'd say he has a good shot at the White House. Considering his policies though, I dislike him immensely. Obama, baby!
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

To be honest, I probably have the proverbial rose colored glasses on when I look at Thompson right now, as I'm basically a Republican at heart even though I disagree with them WRT gay rights and health care reform.

But to paraphrase Reagan, I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me and I'm furious about what Bush has done nationally and the local Repubs have done in my city.
Between GWB and the ex-Mayor of Evansville*, the Repubs have done their damnest to make me a Democrat. :evil:

*the dumbshit pissed off so many people with his proposed $20+ million baseball stadium boondoggle, he failed to carry even the heavily Republican 1st ward when he ran for re-election and suffered one of the most one sided losses in the city's history.

Oderint dum metuant
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Glocksman wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:So why would you even want to vote for a candidate from a Party which basically discredited itself through the current years, at all? :?
Assuming Thompson can disassociate himself from the GWB 'legacy', it's because he'd be the lesser of the two evils
Considering that Thompson's platform essentially is "more of the same", that's going to be a tougher climb than Capt. Kirk faced going up El Capitain.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

To me the issue seems rather simple.

Republicans:
+ reckless spending
+ racism
+ war in Iraq ("stay the course!")
+ nothing good for healthcare
+ nothing good for education, since heavily infiltrated by real theocrats

Democrats:
+ fiscal responsibility
+ remove tax cuts for the rich
+ end war in Iraq
+ institute some sort of national healthcare
+ keep the state secular and take no shit from Christo-fascists

The core policies vary little from candidate to candidate.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
White Cat
Padawan Learner

Post by White Cat »

Glocksman wrote:What's next, claiming he's a Nazi because he played one on TV? :roll:
Too late.

(Or is that what you were referring to?)
LISTEN TO MY LOUSY ANIME SONG
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Plus, Thompson also has a hot, photogenic, well-spoken wife, which doesn't hurt him at all PR-wise.
Democrats:
+ fiscal responsibility
+ remove tax cuts for the rich
+ end war in Iraq
+ institute some sort of national healthcare
+ keep the state secular and take no shit from Christo-fascists
I might agree with you, except they promised to do all that after the mid-terms and havn't done any of it. The tax cuts for the rich have actually resulted in the greatest INCREASE in tax revenue in a long time, and I seriously doubt they're going to get rid of something that's actually benefitting the government.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

The tax cuts for the rich have actually resulted in the greatest INCREASE in tax revenue in a long time, and I seriously doubt they're going to get rid of something that's actually benefitting the government.
Source, please.

As for the others...

Fiscal: Actually passing the spending bills. The 110th Congress didn't bother.

Iraq: Repeatedly veto'd.

Healthcare: The US system is so fundamentally broken it cannot be fixed in a few months.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

WAT? :? Did the US congress ignore control over budget expenses? That's insane. How is that possible at all?

And yeah, it's pretty damn hard to implement those measures, some of which are long-term strategies, especially with Il Bushe still in office.

Assalti Frontali
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Stas Bush wrote:
WAT? :? Did the US congress ignore control over budget expenses? That's insane. How is that possible at all?
Why do you think supplements and emergency funds have been the order of the day?
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stas Bush wrote:
Entirely possible. You forget that the entire philosophy of the Republicans towards government is less is better. So they simply didn't bother to fund it properly.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

SirNitram wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:
Entirely possible. You forget that the entire philosophy of the Republicans towards government is less is better. So they simply didn't bother to fund it properly.
More like they know Iraq is going to cost a shitload to fund properly, they don't want to but don't want to have it on record, so they just do nothing.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stormbringer wrote:More like they know Iraq is going to cost a shitload to fund properly, they don't want to but don't want to have it on record, so they just do nothing.
I'm not referring to the Iraq supplementals, Storm. I'm referring to appropriations bills. They used 'Continuing Resolutions' to fund the government, which do not allow spending increases. Add in inflation, and they just didn't bother to fully fund the government.