Super-Everything must GO! Tuesday!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Super-Everything must GO! Tuesday!

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Whatever name you call it by, I thought I'd start the thread for the biggest primary day in America tomorrow.

It'll be my first time voting, and I'll be casting my first-ever vote for Mr. Barack Obama. :) I actually am holding out hope for an Obama victory, especially after seeing this online:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02 ... index.html
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democratic Sen. Hillary Clinton is losing ground to Sen. Barack Obama in a national CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released on the eve of critical Super Tuesday presidential primaries and caucuses.

The two are virtually tied in Monday's survey, which shows the New York senator has lost a comfortable national lead she's held for months over Obama and other rivals.

The survey also shows Arizona Sen. John McCain as the clear Republican front-runner.

Obama, who trounced Clinton in January's South Carolina primary, garnered 49 percent of registered Democrats in Monday's poll, while Clinton trailed by just three points, a gap well within the survey's 4.5 percentage point margin of error.

"Coming out of his overwhelming victory in South Carolina and followed quickly by his Kennedy family endorsements, Obama clearly has the momentum in this campaign," said Bill Schneider, CNN's senior political analyst.

Obama has won support from Sen. Edward Kennedy and his nieces Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg and Maria Shriver, although Clinton has endorsements from former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, the daughter of Robert Kennedy, and her brother Bobby Kennedy and sister Kerry

The poll is consistent with other national surveys during the past few days. A CNN averaging of five national polls conducted in the last few days -- a "poll of polls" -- puts Clinton at 45 percent and Obama at 43 percent. Those five surveys were done by CNN/Opinion Research Corp., Gallup, Pew, ABC and CBS.

In the battle for the GOP nomination, McCain has the backing of 44 percent of registered Republicans, while former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney received 29 percent, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee got 18 percent and Rep. Ron Paul of Texas won 6 percent.

McCain took the top spot in most national surveys of Republican voters after his January 8 victory in the New Hampshire primary.

Prior to that, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani had the lead in the national polls. Giuliani gave up his bid for the White House last week after a third-place finish in Florida's primary.

CNN's "poll of polls" of the Republican race puts McCain at 45 percent compared with 24 percent for Romney.

"McCain is clearly the front-runner nationwide, thanks in part to his recent victories in South Carolina and Florida. Both McCain and Obama are on the rise not only because they've won important primary victories but because they've captured the change issue. Clinton and Romney tried to echo the change theme but don't appear to have had much success," Schneider said.

The economy remains the top issue on the minds of Americans, according to the new poll. Two-thirds of those questioned say that the economy is in a recession. That's up five points from January and 20 points from October.

The economy ranked as the most important issue to 44 percent of those surveyed, while 20 percent cited the war in Iraq and 16 percent identified health care. Illegal immigration was the most important issue to 10 percent of respondents, while 8 percent cited terrorism.

"Clinton has an advantage among registered Democrats on most issues, including the economy and health care, but Obama is seen as the candidate who would best handle Iraq," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

"Republicans nationwide see McCain as best able to handle Iraq and terrorism but view Romney as the candidate most likely to handle the economy," he said. "Mike Huckabee is seen as the GOP candidate who would best handle abortion."

The poll results come out one day before Super Tuesday, which is as close as the country comes to a national primary, as contests will be held 24 states and American Samoa.

The Democratic candidates will compete for 1,681 Democratic delegates Tuesday, less than 400 shy of the 2,025 needed to clinch the nomination. On the Republican side, 1,020 delegates are at stake, just shy of the 1,191 needed to lock up the GOP nomination.

National polls may not be the best indicator of what could happen on Super Tuesday. A look at polls in the crucial states voting Tuesday could give a clearer indication of what may occur.

In the Democratic race, two new polls in California have Clinton up by single digits. New surveys suggest the race is virtually tied in Arizona and Missouri. Clinton leads in Connecticut and New Jersey and is ahead by double digits in her home state of New York. Obama leads in Georgia and is the clear front-runner in his home state of Illinois.

McCain has a single-digit lead in California over Romney. That could be one reason why Romney has added a last-minute campaign stop in California on Monday. Polls suggest McCain has large leads in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Illinois, but he's only ahead by single digits in Georgia and Missouri.

The key to many races are undecided voters, which could make up from 10 to 15 percent of those who cast ballots.

There is one thing Democrats and Republicans agree upon, according to the poll, 58 percent of registered Democrats and 56 percent of registered Republicans say clear winners won't emerge from Super Tuesday.

Looking ahead to the general election in November, Clinton tops McCain 50 percent to 47 percent and beats Romney 56 to 41 in hypothetical matchups. Obama beats McCain 52 percent to 44 percent and tops Romney 59 percent to 36 percent.

"Issues also appear to play a big role as registered voters nationwide look ahead to general elections matchups," Holland said.

"Will the race boil down to a fight over foreign policy, or will 2008 be the year of 'It's the Economy, Stupid -- the Sequel'? If it's foreign policy, McCain has the edge -- he is seen as better able to handle Iraq and terrorism than Clinton or Obama. If it's the economy, which is the top issue with voters, the Democrats have an advantage; either Clinton or Obama is seen as better able to handle the economy than McCain," Keating said.

The poll surveyed 1,192 adults. Of 974 registered voters, 500 described themselves as Democrats and 412 identified themselves as Republicans.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Re: Super-de-duper-pooper Tuesday!

Post by Xisiqomelir »

It's lose-lose for the Hildebeest atm. If she tanks tomorrow, she's done. If she wins tomorrow, Obama will still be there till the end.

Stravo's probably happier about it than I am, but I'm still pretty damn happy!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The following takes place between 8PM and 9PM, on the day of the California Presidential primary.

Events occur in real time.

So, who sees Obama as being the winner here? I sure do hope he thrashes Hillary in this arena, because I'm starting to get a bit tired of her tactics and playing the Bill card. Can't we just have Bill run instead?
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

I never thought I'd see the day where a black man is the leading choice in Georgia.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:The following takes place between 8PM and 9PM, on the day of the California Presidential primary.

Events occur in real time.

So, who sees Obama as being the winner here? I sure do hope he thrashes Hillary in this arena, because I'm starting to get a bit tired of her tactics and playing the Bill card. Can't we just have Bill run instead?
Nah, he's ineligible to run again.
Anyway, some of the most race baiting comments are ones he's made trying to paint Obama as a 'black' candidate like Jesse Jackson.

The major reason I support Obama over HRC or almost all of the Repubs (I could hold my nose and vote Romney, I guess) is that so far nothing's come out about Obama being 'ethically challenged', so to speak.

Compared to Clinton, Huckabee, or McCain, Barack Obama is a fucking saint ethics wise, and I'd rather have a honest Democrat in power than a corrupt Republican even if I disagree with the Democrat.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Obama packed the arena in Boise. There were about 8,000 or so people expected, max, and some 14,000 showed up. The stadium had to shift to "theater-in-the-round" instead of the standard set-up, and there was still standing room only and another 1,000 or so outside that had to listen in on speakers moved outdoors for them.

I'm sure Hillary will say that he was just pandering to the huge Black vote in, uhh, Idaho. Yeah, I think I saw all six Black people there. :wink:

I was neutral about Hils until the race-baiting started, and the comparison to Jesse Jackson. I hadn't considered what Bill would be doing to pass time in a Hillary White House and now the idea scares me.

Well, tomorrow night I'm caucasing for Obama, and I'll try for a Delegate shot at the state convention.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Well, tomorrow night I'm caucasing for Obama, and I'll try for a Delegate shot at the state convention.
Our primary isn't until May, so usually it doesn't do me any good to vote in a presidential primary.
Though if BHO and HRC are neck in neck, I'll declare as a Democrat and vote for Obama.
Otherwise, I'll declare as a Repub and hit the 'anyone but McVain' button. :P
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Hmmm......
Hillary has another 'emotional moment'
(CNN) – Hillary Clinton became teary-eyed during an event at Yale University Monday — a moment that harkened back to her much talked-about display of emotion on the eve of the New Hampshire Primary.

Holding a campaign meeting at the Yale Child Study Center, the New York senator welled up as she was introduced by Penn Rhodeen, a public interest lawyer who worked with Clinton when she was in college.

Rhodeen praised Clinton's efforts as a college student and said, "Here is the abiding truth we know — you have always been a champion for children. Welcome home, dear friend. We are so proud of you."

Clinton's eyes appeared to grow misty during the introduction, and when it was her turn to speak she said, "Well, I said I would not tear up; already we're not exactly on the path."

Clinton's last teary moment on the trail occurred after an undecided voter asked how she was holding up. The moment instantly became the most-covered event on the campaign trail on the day before the critical New Hampshire primary, drawing both praise from some who said Clinton had finally bared her true self to voters, and criticism from those who thought the moment was calculated.

I'm sure that it's just a total coincidence that tomorrow is Super Tuesday. :roll:
It worked once, but I'd hope the crocodile tears would fail a second time.
However, given she's appealing to the 'Sisterhood' demographic, it'll probably work again.

Oderint dum metuant
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

And just in case it can't get any more topsy-turvy. Brings to mind the phrase 'strange bedfellows'. :lol:
Image Image
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

It'll be interesting to see how the Republican Race pans out. Romney and McCain are rather neck-and-neck, and Huck is looking to ride it out all the way to the convention.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:It'll be interesting to see how the Republican Race pans out. Romney and McCain are rather neck-and-neck, and Huck is looking to ride it out all the way to the convention.
Some of the more paranoid anti McCain commentators are saying that Huck's staying in it as a spoiler to divide the 'anyone but McCain' vote and is angling for a VP nomination if McCain wins.
It makes sense, because a lot of the socially conservative evangelical Christians would spilt to Huck while the more fiscally conservative business wing would prefer Romney.

I don't listen to him, but Rush Limbaugh is reportedly telling his listeners that 'a vote for Huckabee is a vote for McCain'.

Oderint dum metuant
Haruko
Jedi Master

Re: Super-de-duper-pooper Tuesday!

Post by Haruko »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:It'll be my first time voting, and I'll be casting my first-ever vote for Mr. Barack Obama. :)
I've been coming across several people on several forums I've gone to stating the same thing (i.e. that they are first-time voters, and registered to vote for Obama). That, how Obama has already been doing in polling, and along with seeing how many people at this forum are voting for Obama, it's encouraging, as I, too, recently registered to vote (approx. a month ago), and did so, so that I may vote for Obama.

I'm Californian. My polling place is less than a mile away. Heck, I can walk there in little time.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

That NOS Guy wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where a black man is the leading choice in Georgia.
Well, black Georgians can vote now and most of the white racists went over to the Republicans.
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

I will also cast my vote for Obama. The only position of his I take issue with is his stance on guns, and come down to it, I'm less concerned about him taking our guns away than I am about the Republicans taking away our civil rights. Obama for President!
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

darthbob88 wrote:I will also cast my vote for Obama. The only position of his I take issue with is his stance on guns, and come down to it, I'm less concerned about him taking our guns away than I am about the Republicans taking away our civil rights. Obama for President!
Also, remember that some stances cost more political capital than others. Obama's going to be too busy fixing our fucked up national telecoms infrastructure to be grabbing your guns, but the Hildebeest could easily squeeze through some odious video game censorship bill.
mingo
Jedi Knight

Post by mingo »

darthbob88 wrote:I will also cast my vote for Obama. The only position of his I take issue with is his stance on guns, and come down to it, I'm less concerned about him taking our guns away than I am about the Republicans taking away our civil rights. Obama for President!
Where is Obama's position on gun control? I couldn't find it on his web site. Or is this the Right's assumption that Democrat must equal extreme pro gun control. Gun control is a loser for Dems, they learned that, just like the Republitards are learning that pro-life is a loser for them, (although not as big a loser as gun control for us) Hell I OWN guns and I'm voting for Obama.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquering of it.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-Anais Nin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

THis will be my first time voting and I will be voting for Obama.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I don't get to vote till Saturday, and even then it's a fake caucas that my state's Democratic party is putting on to see how well it works. I do find it amusing that our superdelegates recently promised their votes to whichever candidate actually visits Nebraska.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

mingo wrote:
Where is Obama's position on gun control? I couldn't find it on his web site. Or is this the Right's assumption that Democrat must equal extreme pro gun control. Gun control is a loser for Dems, they learned that, just like the Republitards are learning that pro-life is a loser for them, (although not as big a loser as gun control for us) Hell I OWN guns and I'm voting for Obama.
Actually, he's on record as being anti-gun. Among the things he has said is that he is in favor of banning all semi-automatic weapons, and that he would want to renew the 1994 AWB. But, one should never, ever be a one-issue voter, and since my personal favorite (Richardson) is out of the running, Obama's the best of the whole lot of presidential candidates.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

While I worry about his gun views, unless a sea change happens in Congress, a coalition of progun Democrats and progun Republicans will prevent new legislation from passing.

Especially if we win Heller, which I think we will but I'm not sure what standard of scrutiny the Court will order used.

Oderint dum metuant
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

What is the rationale to have semiauto weapons anyway? :? Is this so worrying to people who own guns?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

I seriously doubt the Dems will want to fuck with gun control especially considering they think it cost them 2000. However, they might use dishonest statistics to prove that somehow magically more guns makes more crime while discounting rampantly more intense income inequality, poverty, drug busts, police sweeps, and other such inconvenient truths.
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Stas Bush wrote:What is the rationale to have semiauto weapons anyway? :? Is this so worrying to people who own guns?
I think it's the Red Queen effect, usually referred around here as evolution. Law-abiding gun owners and law enforcement want to be competitive with criminals, who by definition observe no weapon prohibitions whatsoever and sometimes amass considerable monies and resources to illegally purchase, make, or modify weapons with. Considering the stakes, I'd like to have as capable and competitive a weapon system as the law and budgets will allow.
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

For some interesting news:

Obama and Romney lead in CA, Clinton pulls ahead in NJ
Obama, Romney lead in California on Super Tuesday

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent 43 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama surged to a big lead over Hillary Clinton in California hours before "Super Tuesday" voting began in 24 states, according to a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released on Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

In the Republican race, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney held a 7-point advantage on Arizona Sen. John McCain in California, while McCain added to commanding double-digit leads in New York and New Jersey.

On a sprawling day of coast-to-coast voting, the biggest ever in a U.S. primary race, the U.S. presidential contenders in both parties were fighting to win a huge cache of delegates to this summer's nominating conventions.

In California, which alone provides more than one-fifth of the Democratic delegates needed for the nomination, Obama led Clinton by 49 percent to 36 percent, the poll found. The margin of error was 3.3 percentage points.

Clinton pulled into a 5-point lead in New Jersey, 46 percent to 41 percent, after being tied on Monday. Obama held a 45 percent to 42 percent edge on Clinton in Missouri. Both polls had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.

Obama had a 20-point edge in Georgia, aided by a more than 3-to-1 lead among black voters.

Obama, an Illinois senator, and Clinton, a New York senator, are in a hard-fought battle for the Democratic presidential nomination and split the first four significant contests.

"There is clear Obama momentum in California," pollster John Zogby said. "But in New Jersey, things seemed to swing in favor of Clinton, and Missouri was very mixed."

In the Republican race, Romney maintained a stable 40 percent to 33 percent lead on McCain in California, fueled by heavy support in the southern part of the state and among self-described conservatives. The margin of error was 3.4 percentage points.

DASH TO CALIFORNIA

Both Romney and McCain made last-minute changes to their campaign schedules to fly to California for late appearances. A Romney win there could be his last hope of blunting McCain's growing momentum in other states.

McCain held a 26-point edge on Romney in New York and a 29-point advantage in New Jersey as he pushed for a convincing triumph that could knock Romney out of the race to be the Republican candidate in November's presidential election.

McCain held a narrow 34 percent to 27 percent lead over former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in Missouri, with Romney running third at 25 percent. The margin of error was 3.4 percentage points.

"It looks like a big day for McCain with Romney making a last stand in California," Zogby said.

The two launched hard-hitting attack ads on Monday questioning each other's conservative credentials before the vote.

McCain won the last two contests, in South Carolina and Florida, to seize the front-runner's slot in a hard-fought Republican race despite qualms among some conservatives about his views on taxes, immigration and campaign finance.

More than half of the total Democratic delegates and about 40 percent of the Republican delegates are up for grabs on Tuesday.

The Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby rolling tracking poll surveyed presidential races in both parties in California, New Jersey and Missouri. The polls also looked at the Republican race in New York and the Democratic race in Georgia.

The rolling polls were taken Saturday through Monday, except for the California survey, which was a two-day poll on Sunday and Monday. In a rolling poll, the most recent day's results are added while the oldest day's results are dropped in order to track changing momentum.
Link

We'll see if this holds true for the actual primary.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Stas Bush wrote:What is the rationale to have semiauto weapons anyway? :? Is this so worrying to people who own guns?
Uh, yes? Just about every single handgun in use today is semiautomatic. Pull the trigger once, one bullet is fired. Extremely simple for self-defense, rather than having to cock the hammer of a revolver back after every shot.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan