Bhutto assassin 'used laser beam'

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Beowulf
The Patrician

Bhutto assassin 'used laser beam'

Post by Beowulf »

Daily Telegraph wrote:PAKISTAN opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was killed not by an assassin's bullet but by sophisticated "laser beam technology", it was claimed yesterday.

Members of Ms Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party (PPP) claimed their former leader was felled by laser beams, which caused massive head injuries.

Sources claimed reports of gunshots fired at Ms Bhutto as she waved to crowds from the sunroof of her van and subsequent bomb blast were a "decoy to hide the real shooters".

When Ms Bhutto was admitted to Rawalpindi General Hospital shortly after the attack on her on December 27, doctor Musaddiq Khan, who treated her, told a PPP leader he had seen "such a case for the first time in his life", The Nation newspaper reported.

PPP sources told the paper that after the suicide attack, the "ambulance also picked up a dead body behind the stage of Liaquat Bagh" in Rawalpindi, the venue of an election rally Ms Bhutto had addressed.

The mystery surrounding Ms Bhutto's murder deepened yesterday with the Pakistani Government backing off earlier statements that Ms Bhutto died not from a bullet but because the force from a suicide blast forced her head into a sunroof crank, crushing her skull.

After increasing public uproar over the government investigation, the Interior Ministry issued a statement yesterday saying there was "no intention to conceal anything from the people of Pakistan".

Interior Minister Hamid Nawaz even asked the public and the media to forgive and ignore the comment made last week about the sunroof by Interior Ministry spokesman Javed Iqbal Cheema.

Mr Cheema said he based his statement about the sunroof lever "on the initial investigations and the reports by medical doctors" who treated Ms Bhutto.

He said the ministry would wait for forensic investigators to finish their report before making any more conclusions about her cause of death.

"I was just narrating the facts, you know, nothing less, nothing more," he said yesterday.

But the medical report - criticised by many as unprofessional and simply clinical notes - said nothing about a sunroof.
Posted without comment.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Wanderer
Jedi Master

Post by Wanderer »

Does such a laser exist to even pull that off?
Amateurs study Logistics, Professionals study Economics.
Dale Cozort (slightly out of context quote)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Wanderer wrote:Does such a laser exist to even pull that off?
Since they don't say what KIND of massive head injuries, we don't know. If her head was burned severely, then maybe.

Of course, such a weapon doesn't officially exist, and definitely wouldn't be in Pakistan if it did.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

Beyond parody. I'm just glad that these people's chance of getting to run Pakistan again are near to zero.
"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Oh any laser class 3b and up can potentially kill you. It depends on how long you're willing to stand there to allow someone with a 300mw+ ND:YAG laser try to burn a hole through your head. So I guess the answer is no, unless you want to go to the NIF facility in Livermore Labs.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Lasers sure do exist that can kill a person near instantly, but they’d do that via a whole lot of burning, not blunt or piercing trauma as you’d get from a human skull being hit by bullets or smashing up against a car (the two far more realistic reports of what killed her). Course, those lasers are also the sort of thing you need multiple large trucks to haul around, followed by hours or even days of setup time if you have any realistic mobility at all. Besides which no part of this claim makes sense to start with. Why for example would you fire guns or set off a bomb as a decoy before hitting someone with an silent and invisible laser beam that’s ultra accurate at any range it could kill at?

So basically this is a bunch of utter bullshit dreamed up for no useful reason.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Do I detect "Dr" Julie Wood near by??
Redshirt

Post by 1138 »

Azazal wrote:Do I detect "Dr" Julie Wood near by??
Do you mean Judy Wood, who proposed that the WTC were knocked down by a space based weapon? I was reminded of that too, especially after having to discuss 9/11 conspiracy theories with people who don't think things through before believing in it.

What I don't understand is what's the motive for claiming that a laser weapon was used for assassination.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

1138 wrote:What I don't understand is what's the motive for claiming that a laser weapon was used for assassination.
A super-ultra-laser-blaster would mean it wasn't simply bargain basement terrorists. Instead, it must be high-tech, high-level plot orchestrated by whatever government figures her supporters see as enemies.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Did you know it snowed in Baghdad last weekend?

If a laser was involved, I'd bet it was a laser sight fitted to a handgun. They make snap shooting much easier. They're cheap, USD300 or thereabouts and easily obtainable.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Sounds like the Pakistanis are trying to pin Bhutto's death on someone other than Pakistani extremists, e.g., the CIA. Maybe 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars' should be banned in Pakistan so the people there won't get stupid ideas like this.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Was the assassin a mutated sea bass?
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Why not an Ion Cannon?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Why not an Ion Cannon?

Because nobody over there would look good saying "Now it is time, we must destroy G.D.I!"
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I think you're all dismissing this too early.

Clearly she just pissed off Cobra, so they sent some of the more fatalistic Vipers to down her ass, kamikaze style.
Kanye West Saves.

Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

18-Till-I-Die wrote: Clearly she just pissed off Cobra...
I knew it!
unsigned
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Looks like Pakistan has its JFK now. I wonder if conspiracy theories like this will just keep growing around Bhutto's death.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Surlethe wrote:Looks like Pakistan has its JFK now. I wonder if conspiracy theories like this will just keep growing around Bhutto's death.
Pakistan has several JFKs already if you count all the previous state leaders who were assasinated in mysterious circumstances :)
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.