Bush Vows To Eliminate U.S. Dependence On Oil By 4920

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Bush Vows To Eliminate U.S. Dependence On Oil By 4920

Post by Winston Blake »

Link.
WASHINGTON, DC—President Bush unveiled an aggressive initiative Monday that would make the U.S. free of petroleum dependence by the year 4920, less than three millennia from now.

President Bush presents his plan for our nation's far future.

"Our mission is clear," Bush said in a speech delivered at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. "We must free ourselves from dependence on fossil fuels within 85 generations. A cleaner, safer America is my vision. And it is our great, great—great-times-80 grandchildren who will realize that vision."

Bush promised a legislative package that would mandate severe cuts in oil-production subsidies and provide new funding for alternative-energy research and development. According to the timetable he presented, these bills could be introduced as early as 3219, and U.S. energy consumers could start to see radical changes by the early 42nd century.

"If we don't end our dependence on oil by 4920, when will we end it? 5580? By then, it may be too late," Bush said.

Bush called on both Democrats and Republicans living 1,200 years from now to work together to pass the program.

"It would be a shame if, by the 33rd century, these bills were still tied up in committee. I urge the 712th Congress to pass this legislation with minimal partisan gridlock," Bush said.

The president's science advisor, John Marburger, provided more details of the energy plan in a press release issued late Monday.

"It is the president's hope that hydrogen fuel cells, nanotechnology, or the recycling of human beings into fuel will hold the key," Marburger wrote. "Whatever the people of the 50th century feel is appropriate."

Enlarge Image Bush jump
U.S. soldiers prepare to withdraw from Iraq in the unfathomably distant future.

In a detailed policy statement, Bush elaborated on the plan, expressing the hope that a third party, perhaps one comprising robots or super-intelligent, genetically engineered man-beasts, will help reduce America's dependence on fossil fuels.

"I am calling on the popularly elected cyborgs of tomorrow to support this sensible measure to ensure the security of the nation," Bush said.

Some industrialists, particularly major auto manufacturers, expressed reservation over Bush's initiative.

"As admirable as Mr. Bush's visionary pronouncement is, I worry that the timetable he proposes is far too ambitious," General Motors CEO Richard Wagoner Jr. said. "It is simply not realistic. The automotive industry would require an additional three or four thousand years to develop engines that can run effectively on renewable or cleaner-burning fuels."

Exxon Mobil CEO Lee Raymond said the petroleum-producing company shares Bush's hopes for a cleaner environment "well before the sun turns into a red giant and dies."

"Mobil Oil has already made great strides in protecting the precious air and water within the television-commercial environment. And we plan to golf closely with the U.S. Department of Energy and oil-industry lobbyists to ensure that President Bush's initiative comes to pass in the unimaginably distant future."

Responding to reporters' questions, Bush admitted that our progeny could face challenges in pursuit of the goal, such as the earth's degrading orbit and eventual destruction of the moon by tidal force, or the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

"Our distant relations will have some hard work to do," Bush said. "But hard work is what built this nation, and I have every faith that they will succeed."

The proclamation comes on the heels of Bush's plans to pay off the national debt by the early 6300s, and win the war on terror by 7450.
Now for some real news in the same vein:

Link.
US to turn off power-hungry light bulbs

Fresh from its last-minute acceptance of a global climate deal last month in Bali, the US underlined its green credentials by flicking the switch on the power-hungry incandescent light bulb.

The Energy Independence and Security Act, which President George W. Bush signed into law on 18 December, is a mandate for phasing out 100-watt incandescent bulbs starting in 2012, 75-watt bulbs in 2013 and 60-watt bulbs in 2014. They will be replaced by energy-saving alternatives such as compact fluorescent lighting. It also proposes a fivefold increase in the availability of biofuel by 2022, and making vehicles 40 per cent more fuel-efficient by 2020.

This law adds federal momentum to moves already under way in the lighting industry and individual states (New Scientist, 2 March 2007, p 26). Last March, lighting giant Philips launched a campaign to scrap energy-guzzling lighting by 2016 - the firm estimates that ditching ...

The complete article is 378 words long.
You can rest easy, folks. 60-watt light bulbs will be history by 2014. The future is safe.
alexholker
Youngling

Re: Bush Vows To Eliminate U.S. Dependence On Oil By 4920

Post by alexholker »

Winston Blake wrote:Now for some real news in the same vein:

Link.
US to turn off power-hungry light bulbs

Fresh from its last-minute acceptance of a global climate deal last month in Bali, the US underlined its green credentials by flicking the switch on the power-hungry incandescent light bulb.

The Energy Independence and Security Act, which President George W. Bush signed into law on 18 December, is a mandate for phasing out 100-watt incandescent bulbs starting in 2012, 75-watt bulbs in 2013 and 60-watt bulbs in 2014. They will be replaced by energy-saving alternatives such as compact fluorescent lighting. It also proposes a fivefold increase in the availability of biofuel by 2022, and making vehicles 40 per cent more fuel-efficient by 2020.

This law adds federal momentum to moves already under way in the lighting industry and individual states (New Scientist, 2 March 2007, p 26). Last March, lighting giant Philips launched a campaign to scrap energy-guzzling lighting by 2016 - the firm estimates that ditching ...

The complete article is 378 words long.
You can rest easy, folks. 60-watt light bulbs will be history by 2014. The future is safe.
Your outrage seems rather forced when it says right there in the same paragraph that this isn't all that the government is doing.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

alexholker wrote:Your outrage seems rather forced when it says right there in the same paragraph that this isn't all that the government is doing.
Since when is sarcasm equal to outrage? Forgive me if I don't think that planning to make vehicles 40% more fuel efficient by 2020 is going to have any real effect.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

I appreciate the comedy, but we can't really post Onion articles as news now, can we?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Xisiqomelir wrote:I appreciate the comedy, but we can't really post Onion articles as news now, can we?
Why do people not grasp that we have done so for the longest time and if you get caught it's your own damn fault? I'm sorry, we're not making rules because nitpickers and morons like you are bitching.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

*ticks off the counter* Seventy-third consecutive Onion thread in N&P where someone asked if we're allowed to post Onion threads in N&P.

That said, this one didn't seem quite as subtle as most. Usually I'm several paragraphs into the story before double-checking the link. This time I didn't even get past the opening sentence.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Xisiqomelir wrote:I appreciate the comedy, but we can't really post Onion articles as news now, can we?
Why do people not grasp that we have done so for the longest time and if you get caught it's your own damn fault? I'm sorry, we're not making rules because nitpickers and morons like you are bitching.
It was an honest question, no need to start raging. Thanks for letting me know.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

He wants to start "phasing out" the bulbs in 2012? Why the hell would we wait that long? My apartment's been incandescent-free since 2005 and I see no reason why the phase-out can't start immediately. It's not like we'd replace them all overnight either way.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Xisiqomelir wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
It was an honest question, no need to start raging. Thanks for letting me know.
Oni Koneko Damien wrote:*ticks off the counter* Seventy-third consecutive Onion thread in N&P where someone asked if we're allowed to post Onion threads in N&P.
Yes there is, Xissy. The entire POINT of Onion articles is to keep us sharp! :roll:
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Drooling Iguana wrote:He wants to start "phasing out" the bulbs in 2012? Why the hell would we wait that long? My apartment's been incandescent-free since 2005 and I see no reason why the phase-out can't start immediately. It's not like we'd replace them all overnight either way.
Because incandescent light is more romantic and less harsh........ Methinks if you want to get jiggy with it, candles represent a much better choice.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

simple oil will be long gone, we won't be needing it anymore, since we won't have it.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

PainRack wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote:He wants to start "phasing out" the bulbs in 2012? Why the hell would we wait that long? My apartment's been incandescent-free since 2005 and I see no reason why the phase-out can't start immediately. It's not like we'd replace them all overnight either way.
Because incandescent light is more romantic and less harsh........ Methinks if you want to get jiggy with it, candles represent a much better choice.
That's exactly what I hate about incandescents beyond the fact they noticeably raise the room temperature. One person's 'romantic' is another's 'dingy yellow', and one person's 'harsh' is another's 'crisp and clean'. Some of us would actually like a proper D65 (6500K) color temperature in our lighting.
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

If you need "romantic" lighting, put a darker lamp shade over your compact fluorescent.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Some of us would actually like a proper D65 (6500K) color temperature in our lighting.
So basically you want to light your room with something that's even more blue than the piercing xenon arc lights used in BMWs and other such luxury cars? You're weird.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P