Not sure if its been posted yet...

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Not sure if its been posted yet...

Post by weemadando »

A few days ago an Australian pilot declined to bomb a target as he could not gain a positive ID and under the Australian ROE you cannot engage a target without this.

Has it been posted?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Not sure if its been posted yet...

Post by Stormbringer »

weemadando wrote:A few days ago an Australian pilot declined to bomb a target as he could not gain a positive ID and under the Australian ROE you cannot engage a target without this.
Good for him but exactly how is this news?
weemadando wrote:Has it been posted?
I think so. Damn if I know where.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I didn't think anyone else saw that! And I am not sure if it has been posted though.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Not sure if its been posted yet...

Post by weemadando »

Stormbringer wrote:
weemadando wrote:A few days ago an Australian pilot declined to bomb a target as he could not gain a positive ID and under the Australian ROE you cannot engage a target without this.
Goo for him but exactly how is this news?
Several reasons

1- The Australian military set these rules of engagement much to the ire of the Australian government, as a kind of protest against the commitment of forces to a war that the military felt was unneccessary.

2- Several American officers have bitched about the Aussie rules of engagement and how would be a threat to the forces on the ground if the pilots (or whoever) refused to launch on targets because of the risk of civilian casualties.

3- There were worries that such ROE's might cause rifts in the coalition.

4- Its a case of an Australian pilot following his orders to disobey orders.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

It's been posted in the breaking news thread somewhere. I thought you were the one who did it actually weemadando.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s814616.htm

Aborted raid

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has defended an Australian pilot's decision to abort a bombing raid in Iraq because of concerns about the target.

The ADF has denied the incident has caused a rift within the coalition forces.

Australian forces have stricter rules of engagement than the United States military.

The chief of the Royal Australian Air Force, Air Marshal Angus Houston, says an Australian pilot decided against bombing a target because he did not have enough time to check whether it was a "legitimate" target.

"What happened was quite unremarkable because if it isn't all set up correctly, if the weather is a factor, we will say sorry we can't do the task," Air Marshal Houston said.

F/A-18 Hornets have since attacked enemy targets, dropping a number of 2,000 pound bombs.

Also in the past few days, Australia's special forces have called in coalition air strikes on a suspected missile launching site and a platoon of enemy soldiers armed with heavy weapons.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Archaic` wrote:It's been posted in the breaking news thread somewhere. I thought you were the one who did it actually weemadando.
No, if not me it was probably Vympel.

I'm interested in peoples opinions of the pilots actions.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Several reasons

1- The Australian military set these rules of engagement much to the ire of the Australian government, as a kind of protest against the commitment of forces to a war that the military felt was unneccessary.
You guys really need to work on that military discipline thing.
2- Several American officers have bitched about the Aussie rules of engagement and how would be a threat to the forces on the ground if the pilots (or whoever) refused to launch on targets because of the risk of civilian casualties.
It may make for some nasty situations if they do that when troops are under fire. Caution is all well and good but being overly cautios is a good way to get people killed too.
They might if an Aussie refuses to drop and ground troops die because of it.
For all the sense that makes.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Any further details of the nature of the target?

It would explain much more as to why he did waht he did. Even though I doubt we will get any more info in the near future on this...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

weemadando wrote:
Archaic` wrote:It's been posted in the breaking news thread somewhere. I thought you were the one who did it actually weemadando.
No, if not me it was probably Vympel.

Yep, just found it before. It was Vympel.

And the pilot did the right thing, if he couldn't properly identify the target, then he couldn't complete his mission. A very wise choice.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

weemadando wrote: No, if not me it was probably Vympel.

He obeyed the ROE set by his senior officers. It's totally routine.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stormbringer wrote:
Several reasons

You guys really need to work on that military discipline thing.
Yeah, but when its the chief of our military and the heads of each branch of service endorsing such things, you really have to ask questions.
It may make for some nasty situations if they do that when troops are under fire. Caution is all well and good but being overly cautios is a good way to get people killed too.
They might if an Aussie refuses to drop and ground troops die because of it.
That was the concern, but I believe that the RAAF has been given fairly clear cut strike missions for this reasons. Like hitting a pure military target in the middle of fucking nowhere rather than a potential target in a built up area.
For all the sense that makes.
That was actually the order given by the brass, "disregard any orders which may result in civilian casualties" or words to that effect.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
weemadando wrote: No, if not me it was probably Vympel.

He obeyed the ROE set by his senior officers. It's totally routine.
Yes, the ROE set by the ADF on a mission tasked to him by what I'm assuming was American Command. Its interesting how forces interact, no?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Yeah, but when its the chief of our military and the heads of each branch of service endorsing such things, you really have to ask questions.
Yes you do. Like why aren't they obeying their legal commanders. The military isn't supposed to set national policy, it's their to enforce it.
That was the concern, but I believe that the RAAF has been given fairly clear cut strike missions for this reasons. Like hitting a pure military target in the middle of fucking nowhere rather than a potential target in a built up area.
Which is smart if you can't depend on them.
That was actually the order given by the brass, "disregard any orders which may result in civilian casualties" or words to that effect.
Which is a sensible goal carried to something of an extreme.
Yes, the ROE set by the ADF on a mission tasked to him by what I'm assuming was American Command. Its interesting how forces interact, no?
Yeah, it sure is.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

weemadando wrote:
Coalition warfare can be very complex. The coalition that was formed to defeat Napoleon in 1813-1814 is an interesting study in that, and how it was kept together, for example.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Ando,

I'm not up on what's happening politically in Austrlia. I take it from your posts that the military is not happy about the government's decision to join the coalition or there is some sort of rift between the folks down under and the government. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Stormbringer wrote:
Yes you do. Like why aren't they obeying their legal commanders. The military isn't supposed to set national policy, it's their to enforce it.

snip.
They are obeying their legal commanders. However it does appear that the Aussie millitary has had a bit of a tiff with the government. I think you will also find that with Aussies,{ and NZ armed forces}, that their actions tend to reflect national sympathys. So if Howard says one thing and the armed forces think its stupid and immoral they will say so and act accordingly
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Personally I believe the military is still rather angry with the Government over the 'children overboard' scandal. And rightly so in my opinion.