Meanwhile, in Afghanistan

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan

Post by Vympel »

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: Meanwhile, in Afghanistan

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:400 gunmen! WTF?!
There was no independent confirmation of the claim.
That about sums that up. I'm inclined to think some one was inflating the numbers a weee bit.

A commander in neighboring Herat province, Ammanullah Khan, gave a different version of events and suggested the fighting was ethnically motivated.
Either way it's hardly suprising that there's violence. Afghanistan is less a country than a civil war that doesn't like to be interupted. They've got ethinc hatreds from centuries ago and no amount of intervention by anyone is going to stop that.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stormbringer wrote:
Either way it's hardly suprising that there's violence. Afghanistan is less a country than a civil war that doesn't like to be interupted. They've got ethinc hatreds from centuries ago and no amount of intervention by anyone is going to stop that.
See- if only the Soviets had been left alone, they could've made all the Afghans real good communists ...

[ducks heavy flameage]

:wink:
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:See- if only the Soviets had been left alone, they could've made all the Afghans real good communists ...

[ducks heavy flameage]

:wink:
Ah, the good old days of the sickle and hammer....

It never would have happened. They're a third world shit hole more interested in settling centuries old grudges than actual progress.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Ah, the good old days of the sickle and hammer....

It never would have happened. They're a third world shit hole more interested in settling centuries old grudges than actual progress.
I doubt they're even a real country- I don't know much about the history of Afghanistan- probably just some lines on a map the British drew up a few hundred years ago ...
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Vympel wrote:I doubt they're even a real country- I don't know much about the history of Afghanistan- probably just some lines on a map the British drew up a few hundred years ago ...
Ah, it wasn't the British who drew the boundaries of the Afgans, not entirely, only te Indian, now Pakistani border.

Thats where most of the Ghurka's reputation comes from, the 2 Afgan Wars and all the border conflicts, about 1 major raid every year, with minor ones interspersed.