Iraq Body Count Database.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Iraq Body Count Database.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

....I half expected to see a point tally and scoreboard at the top of the page...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Uh... too bad, I thought they were still counted in dozens not in hundreds... :cry:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

This is rather low for a full-scale war of this type.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

HemlockGrey
Agree. It's all much more quiet. Still, war is war.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Odd, I noticed that they had 'Syrian Tour Bus' as a target...
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

I also noticed that the title of the chart is CIVILIANS killed, not SOLDIERS killed. So the Syrian tour bus fits nicely.

So much for precision-guided missiles. Let's invest some money in weapons that hit the bad guys, huh?
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Precise hit, yah. Precisely hitting civilians, failed to kill Saddam.

Assalti Frontali
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Would you rather we went the old fashioned way and used dumb bombs to blow Baghdad back to the stone age?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

No thanks. Either is bad.

Assalti Frontali
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

And weren't some people predicting "tens of thousnds of civilian deaths"?

There's notihng saying it could get worse, though. Some might be killed in taking Baghdad..
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Queeb Salaron wrote:I also noticed that the title of the chart is CIVILIANS killed, not SOLDIERS killed. So the Syrian tour bus fits nicely.

So much for precision-guided missiles. Let's invest some money in weapons that hit the bad guys, huh?
If the Iraqis emplace stuff near civilian areas, noncombatants are, unfortunately, going to get killed. And things sometimes go awry (the marketplace incident, for example)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Queeb Salaron wrote:I also noticed that the title of the chart is CIVILIANS killed, not SOLDIERS killed. So the Syrian tour bus fits nicely.

What is with you people? This is like Star Trek perfect targeting crap. NOTHING is perfect! Why is it that when civilians get killed people keep saying the US went out of their way to kill them or other trash like this?

It's been said before and I'll say it again: if the US was trying to kill Iraqi civilians, that maximum dead estimate would be a lot more than around 300...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

The civilian body count may rise dramaticaly,about a thousands Iraqi armored vehicle left Bagdad going south probably to fight against American forces.
And like the bunch of bastard they are,i would`nt be surprised if these assholes put 1 or 2 Iraqi civilians in each vehicle. :shock:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

One misguided bomb, out of thousands that have been dropped and fired.

The bus was not targeted, the bomb simply went off course.

As previously stated, these numbers are incredibly low for a war of this scale.

Plus, this doesn't state anything about the Iraqi soldiers using civilians as human shields. I am seeing this as being more anti-war propaganda BS...
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:And weren't some people predicting "tens of thousnds of civilian deaths"?

There's notihng saying it could get worse, though. Some might be killed in taking Baghdad..
during the protests, I was told 500k.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Define "civilian". Saddam is deliberately planting his soldiers around Iraq dressed in civvie clothes, half so he can get the drop on US troops, and half to denote outrage from the rest of the worlds at "civilians" getting killed.

Further, Saddam also plans to kill his own civs and blame the US, if things get desperate enough.
The Great and Malignant
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

SPOOFE wrote:Define "civilian". Saddam is deliberately planting his soldiers around Iraq dressed in civvie clothes, half so he can get the drop on US troops, and half to denote outrage from the rest of the worlds at "civilians" getting killed.

Further, Saddam also plans to kill his own civs and blame the US, if things get desperate enough.
Regardless, if a US soldier killed an Iraqi with a gun, the stats would call him a soldier. Why does the chart say "Civilian," then?

Maybe this is why:

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Indeed, someone in civilian clothes, armed, does not fall under the definition of civilian.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Queeb Salaron wrote:Regardless, if a US soldier killed an Iraqi with a gun, the stats would call him a soldier. Why does the chart say "Civilian," then?

Maybe this is why:
http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/144/912/10x7/030323_war_06.jpg
It's regrettable that any civilians have died but when the enemy is in cities and indeed people's neighborhoods civilians deaths will occur. That at most 300 have died is a testament to the precision of the weapons.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Why don't you invest in a brain? Thousands of strike sorties flown, thousands of bombs and missiles expended and yet civilian deaths are in the hundreds. That's actually very good, and by the standards of pervious conflicts incredibly low.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

Why don't you invest in a brain? Thousands of strike sorties flown, thousands of bombs and missiles expended and yet civilian deaths are in the hundreds. That's actually very good, and by the standards of pervious conflicts incredibly low.
Is that so? Well, explain this next link:

http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/145/640/ssMain ... N280145640
MSNBC News wrote:Civilians struck
An Iraqi comforts a friend at a site allegedly hit by coalition missiles Wednesday in Baghdad, reportedly leaving at least 14 people dead and dozens injured. The missiles crashed into a building occupied by a car mechanic's garage on the ground floor and private apartments on the upper floors at 11:30 a.m. Baghdad time.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

What part of his answer didn't you get?

Grow a brain, moron.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

MSNBC News wrote:Civilians struck
An Iraqi comforts a friend at a site allegedly hit by coalition missiles Wednesday in Baghdad, reportedly leaving at least 14 people dead and dozens injured. The missiles crashed into a building occupied by a car mechanic's garage on the ground floor and private apartments on the upper floors at 11:30 a.m. Baghdad time.
An important word there is allegedly. And that is on the list despite the unconfirmed ownership of the missle.

Three hundred civilian casulaties maximum is damn impressive considering the sheer numbers. Mistakes will happen because whatever else, there's humans involved. There's never been a war of this magnitude waged so surgically.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

fgalkin wrote:

What part of his answer didn't you get?

Grow a brain, moron.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Look, it just seems to me that there are a lot of stories about civilians being killed and injured. And considering the website specifically listed civilian deaths... I dunno. How can anyone in their right minds say that 300 dead people is "very good"? It just seems to me as though there are certain Americans (particularly in the military) who don't care who fills the bodybags, so long as they're emaciated and brown.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.