Russian missles take out 2 American Battle Tanks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Russian missles take out 2 American Battle Tanks

Post by Omega-13 »

Well, the Iraqi's are starting to use them, the russian Kornet missle system was used for the first time yesterday on the 7th cavalry, destroying 2 M1A1's

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/03 ... index.html

interesting article however...I think this was the beginning of many american MBT's being destroyed.
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Re: Russian missles take out 2 American Battle Tanks

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Omega-13 wrote:Well, the Iraqi's are starting to use them, the russian Kornet missle system was used for the first time yesterday on the 7th cavalry, destroying 2 M1A1's

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/03 ... index.html

interesting article however...I think this was the beginning of many american MBT's being destroyed.
This article denies that that ATGM has been supplied to Iraq

"We do agree that the Kornet missile is able to successfully oppose any tanks or motorized infantry divisions," the company added, "but if they were in Iraq in any quantity, then the U.S. infantry would be taking greater losses than they are now."

Allthough one wonders what will happen if Bush does get taken by the Idea that Russian arms are being used by Iraq :roll:
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Thats why I thought it was such an interesting article, the a LT. in the 7th cavalry reported that it was wire guided missle fired from over 4 km, do the Iraqi's have anything like this? The LT. said it was a 'toe like system'

Is there any doubt its starting to be used?
The russians are lying, they want to see if their new toys work
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Before we have another round of denouncing Russia, what everyone seems to be ignoring is that it is possible for Iraq to get weapons like the Kornet through intermediaries instead of direct from the Russians, in which case the Russians would be telling the truth and all the saber rattling about it by the US in their direction has been useless.

Edi

*reads own post*

:shock: :shock:

Fuck, me defending Russia, time to go dig up the old ice skates and join Chrostas in taking a spin over the ice cover of the lake of fire...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Edi wrote:Before we have another round of denouncing Russia, what everyone seems to be ignoring is that it is possible for Iraq to get weapons like the Kornet through intermediaries instead of direct from the Russians, in which case the Russians would be telling the truth and all the saber rattling about it by the US in their direction has been useless.

Edi

*reads own post*

Fuck, me defending Russia, time to go dig up the old ice skates and join Chrostas in taking a spin over the ice cover of the lake of fire...
*hands you some samogon and a fur cap with a red star on it* Drink and dance with your comrades, Edi!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This belongs in breaking news.

As for Kornet- BULLSHIT. Kornet is laser-guided. The missiles were wire-guided. Try again, dumbass mainstream media.

The Iraqis have Fagot (AT-4 SPIGOT), and the French/German HOT. Fuck the media know nothing ...

This is a Kornet: http://www.army-technology.com/projects ... rnet3.html

One thing they're right about is that if the Iraqis did have Kornet-E missiles (export versions of systems have an -E suffix), then you'd see a lot more dead American/UK armor. It has a range of 5,500m, a thermal imaging sight, and 1,200mm RHA equivalent penetration. Enough to reduce an Abrams to a burning hulk.
Last edited by Vympel on 2003-03-26 05:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
*hands you some samogon and a fur cap with a red star on it* Drink and dance with your comrades, Edi!
:D

Anyone remember that Simpsons episode (with the hilarious return of the Soviet Union skit) with that picture of Homer in the full cossack garb?
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

"But...the Soviet Union? I thought you guys broke up years ago!"

"Zhat's vat ve vanted you to vhink!"
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

In USSR he was always called "our friend Saddam". :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

HemlockGrey wrote:"But...the Soviet Union? I thought you guys broke up years ago!"

"Zhat's vat ve vanted you to vhink!"

"must....crush.....capitalisim"
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

"Smert zhazhravshimsya burjuyam"
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Edi wrote:Before we have another round of denouncing Russia, what everyone seems to be ignoring is that it is possible for Iraq to get weapons like the Kornet through intermediaries instead of direct from the Russians, in which case the Russians would be telling the truth and all the saber rattling about it by the US in their direction has been useless.

Edi

*reads own post*

You are right Iraq get the weapons from an intermediary party its called the Russian mafia :lol:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Where did you hear about the tanks being destroyed?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Axis Kast wrote:Where did you hear about the tanks being destroyed?
Reuters, and the Army Times.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

I always thought that the M1A1/2 was immune to RPGs and man-portable missiles. Or can those things destroy any fighting vehicle in the world?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Axis Kast wrote:I always thought that the M1A1/2 was immune to RPGs and man-portable missiles. Or can those things destroy any fighting vehicle in the world?
Obviously not. It sounds like the Iraqis managed to hit the weaker rear armor rather than the frontal armor.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

I meant all-around. I wasn't aware that the M1A1 had deficiencies of that sort. IFVs and APCs? Okay. Not MBTs.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Stormbringer wrote:
Axis Kast wrote:I always thought that the M1A1/2 was immune to RPGs and man-portable missiles. Or can those things destroy any fighting vehicle in the world?
Obviously not. It sounds like the Iraqis managed to hit the weaker rear armor rather than the frontal armor.
The pilots are all OK and unscathed. Remember, disabling a tank doesn't equate to its complete destruction.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Enough RPG hits will knock out an M1, but it does depend where they hit and how many. As for man-portable missiles, they can be very deadly to tanks (especially newer generation top-attack ones like Javelin). Russia has been deploying active defenses in the form of ARENA for that reason.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Omega-13 wrote:The russians are lying, they want to see if their new toys work
I doubt the Russians are so eager to test their systems they'd kick of a major international incident. Bush's reaction to any weapon's sales alone would be enough to give thems serious pause. If they are supplying weapons, it'd probably be older weapons that are much more common on the international market. Putin's smarter than to get his ass nailed with shenigans like that.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

The Russians are refuting the claims though. It doesn't help that Putin is now dangerously against the war. I figured he'd have shut up. He's now worse than the French. And I understand that Bush is keen on having the Russians back American foreign policy as much as possible. At least, he emphasizes the importance of a relationship with Moscow more than he ever did a relationship with Germany or France.

Why haven't we chosen to deploy an ARENA-type system?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Colonel Olrik wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
The pilots are all OK and unscathed. Remember, disabling a tank doesn't equate to its complete destruction.
That's something to be thankful for. And I am aware of the distinction between destroyed and disabled. But even if it's only disabling, that hardly counts as immunity.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It's purely a question of where you hit the vehicle. Along the frontal arc, the M1A2 is quite well protected, but still not invulnerable. A modern Russian RPG round fired at the flanks (93mm PG-7VL, or the tandem HEAT 105mm PG-7VR) *will* penetrate, guaranteed. Rear, even more so.
I doubt the Russians are so eager to test their systems they'd kick of a major international incident. Bush's reaction to any weapon's sales alone would be enough to give thems serious pause. If they are supplying weapons, it'd probably be older weapons that are much more common on the international market. Putin's smarter than to get his ass nailed with shenigans like that.
The Russians no quite well how their weapons work- performance characteristics can be measured etc. As for supplying older weapons, I really don't see the point- the Iraqis have plenty of ATGMs as it is.
Enough RPG hits will knock out an M1, but it does depend where they hit and how many.
How many? That's true in terms of a tank with reactive armor (fire two shots, one to take out the reactive armor block, the next to penetrate the armor itself), but in terms of a normal tank, the round either penetrates, or it doesn't, yes?
As for man-portable missiles, they can be very deadly to tanks (especially newer generation top-attack ones like Javelin). Russia has been deploying active defenses in the form of ARENA for that reason.
Yup. Actually, the first active ATGM defense system ever deployed was the Russian Drozd system, fitted to Naval Infantry T-55s. Now there's Arena, and the new Drozd-M system. Then there's Shtora, which is a passive system that makes TOW and other such wire-guided SACLOS missiles pretty much a waste of time.
Pilots?! Tankers! tsk tsk tsk *Wags finger* :)

The M1A2 is one of the safest main battle tanks in the world. You have an excellent chance of living if your vehicle is holed. Unless burning embers ignite a round the loader may be holding. That could be bad.

I should add that despite the Army Times claim that this is the first time an Abrams has been lost to enemy fire, it's not true. In 1991 Iraqi T-62s took a pair of Abrams out by sitting still with their engines off (at night), so that they didn't show up on thermal imagers (which lots of tankers exclusively fight with, since everything comes up so clear)- the T-62s waited for the M1s to go by, and fired into their flanks. Two tanks were knocked out- but unfortunately for the wily Iraqis, their gun barrels were now hot. You can guess what happened next.
Last edited by Vympel on 2003-03-26 09:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Axis Kast wrote:The Russians are refuting the claims though. It doesn't help that Putin is now dangerously against the war. I figured he'd have shut up. He's now worse than the French. And I understand that Bush is keen on having the Russians back American foreign policy as much as possible. At least, he emphasizes the importance of a relationship with Moscow more than he ever did a relationship with Germany or France.
Russia has ties with Iraq that go back a long time and they were (and perhaps still are) good customers for Russian arms. It's a case of the Russian's protecting their interested. Bush's piss poor diplomatic efforts probably didn't help though.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Axis Kast wrote: Why haven't we chosen to deploy an ARENA-type system?
It's quite expensive, and given the current range of threats, not particularly necessary. But then again, the US is abandoning the 70-ton MBT and pursuing a 20-ton 'Future Combat System' that will rely on it's sensors to stay out of trouble (trouble meaning any enemy fire whatsoever).