Last split from Breaking News

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Rob Wilson wrote:
BoredShirtless wrote:How the Russians are intercepting and decoding US radio comm:

http://www.iraqwar.ru/iraq-read_article ... icleId=316
One small page, so many errors. Where to begin? Well the quoted Caracal Radio system doesn't exist for a start. Go to Thales product page, maybe you can find it, or the named Programmer and Fill Gun. Then you perhaps you can explain why none of the Prefixs used in the Intercept page match Thales own Prefix system.
Could be a discountinued product/old information.
Rob Wilson wrote: So lets move on to the "this is how we get the freq hopping key". One, the sets actually used as Burst transmission, this works by a digital voice recorder is activated when you use the push-to-talk button and that communication is compressed, the compression is encrypted and this is then sent in a single burst when the operators finger comes off the button. It is impossible to stay on air over the course of mulpiple hops as the burst for a one hour conversation takes less than 1/100th of a second to transmit. A normal comm is contained inside a single freq without going into another. But what the hell, lets say that against physical possibility it actually happens, and the interceptor unit cathces this 1-in-a-million transmission, they now somehow have the hopping key for every other transmission on that net for the next 24 hrs (despite the sample being far too small to give a pattern). Now all they have to do is decrypt the burst... you know, the 128 bit, randomised key with the added benefit of 'noise' being added to the encryption to completely scramble the encryption from analyse. So all these intercept points have, is a 1/100th of a second burst of static that would take Supercomputers years to break.

But you say, although they specifically mentioned an Encrypted and freq hopping system, maybe they meant the old British Army Radio. That was fixed Freq and had no bult in iencryption. they must have meant that. Unfortunately all transmissions on that system bar 2 are in BATCO, a single use code sheet that renders a system of numbers into Letters. The numbers are set on a series of sheets and refer to lines of a report, and without the single use codesheet, and without knowing exactly what role the unit sending it is, you just have something like this :
"Zero, Alpha 10, Bravo, Delta, Whiskey - Tango, whiskey, Romeo - November, Charlie. Over."

Good luck on decoding that.

Basically anyone with Military Comms experince just read that page and pissed themselves laughing. Now please excuse me as I go change my underwear. :lol:

See everyone tomorrow.
Could be old information, or GRE don't want to disclose how they go about intercepting US radio so they fed some bullshit to a journalist.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Vympel wrote:A further reminder people:

BREAKING NEWS ONLY. DEBATES GO ELSEWHERE.
Sorry, just noticed there's a seperate thread about the Russian site. Can you move Boredshirtless's post about the reports and my reply to the relevant thread. Cheers, if you wait a couple of minutes I have another reply to make on a similar vein and you can move it as well (and the post it's answering).

ADDENDUM : Bored Shirtless's post's are on page 11 and 13 respectively.
My other post that he was replying to was on page 10 and 11 repsectively. I'll keep anything else on the subject in the relevant thread.
Last edited by Rob Wilson on 2003-03-25 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

BoredShirtless wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
BoredShirtless wrote:How the Russians are intercepting and decoding US radio comm:

http://www.iraqwar.ru/iraq-read_article ... icleId=316
One small page, so many errors. Where to begin? Well the quoted Caracal Radio system doesn't exist for a start. Go to Thales product page, maybe you can find it, or the named Programmer and Fill Gun. Then you perhaps you can explain why none of the Prefixs used in the Intercept page match Thales own Prefix system.
They've never had that Product, and the Prefixes are actually an International standard, not just restricted to Thales brochure (another reason i knew they were making it up). They are lying on that page, even on the smallest details (hell a simple search would have inproved the veracity of the lie, and they couldn't even get that bit right), doesn't bode well for the rest of the info when they can't research their lie properly :wink: ).
Rob Wilson wrote: Snip my long and detailed (though still only the tip of the iceberg of Encrypted Comms, if they try again I still have other points that will fuck up an attempted bluff about intercepting Encrypted comms).
Could be old information, or GRE don't want to disclose how they go about intercepting US radio so they fed some bullshit to a journalist.[/quote]

Did you note that the site only offered a bogus (and laughble) description of how they got the Encrypted Info not a peep on how they manage to Decrypt it, as if it would be a fait accompli.

If they are wrong on this, and demonstrably so to a horrible degree, why should anything else they say be trusted? The very fundamentals of how they supposedly work is a fabrication of huge proportions, why should the rest of the site be different?

BTW, on a seperate note, does it mention anywhere the names of these 'journalists' so their credentails can be checked?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Split.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Vympel wrote:Split.
Oh for crying out loud. Don't split them to a new seperate thread, put them in the thread they should have been in the first place. :roll:

Image Image
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Oh for crying out loud. Don't split them to a new seperate thread, put them in the thread they should have been in the first place. :roll:
That can't be done man- not on this edition of the board anyway.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Vympel wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
That can't be done man- not on this edition of the board anyway.
Yeah, just ignore the rant, it's just me being pissy.

Image Image
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Rob Wilson wrote:
BoredShirtless wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote: One small page, so many errors. Where to begin? Well the quoted Caracal Radio system doesn't exist for a start. Go to Thales product page, maybe you can find it, or the named Programmer and Fill Gun. Then you perhaps you can explain why none of the Prefixs used in the Intercept page match Thales own Prefix system.
They've never had that Product, and the Prefixes are actually an International standard, not just restricted to Thales brochure (another reason i knew they were making it up). They are lying on that page, even on the smallest details (hell a simple search would have inproved the veracity of the lie, and they couldn't even get that bit right), doesn't bode well for the rest of the info when they can't research their lie properly :wink: ).
Look's like the Russian's cred is shot...or is it just what they want us to think? :P
Rob Wilson wrote: Snip my long and detailed (though still only the tip of the iceberg of Encrypted Comms, if they try again I still have other points that will fuck up an attempted bluff about intercepting Encrypted comms).
Could be old information, or GRE don't want to disclose how they go about intercepting US radio so they fed some bullshit to a journalist.[/quote]

Did you note that the site only offered a bogus (and laughble) description of how they got the Encrypted Info not a peep on how they manage to Decrypt it, as if it would be a fait accompli.
[/quote]

To be fair, that page wasn't meant to be a technical breakdown on how they decrypt encrypted messages.
Rob Wilson wrote: If they are wrong on this, and demonstrably so to a horrible degree, why should anything else they say be trusted? The very fundamentals of how they supposedly work is a fabrication of huge proportions, why should the rest of the site be different?
Because there stories have been vindicated. The "How we Intercept Radio Comm" may be bullshit, but at the end of the day if there analyses are vindicated by none other than the mainstream media, they're not total crap.
Rob Wilson wrote: BTW, on a seperate note, does it mention anywhere the names of these 'journalists' so their credentails can be checked?
Don't know.