Aussie Navy Clearing Mines at Um Quasar!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Aussie Navy Clearing Mines at Um Quasar!

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co ... 38,00.html

SAS joins raid on air bases
By Rory Callinan, Doha and Ben English
March 25, 2003

AUSTRALIAN navy clearance divers were searching for booby traps and mines in the port of Umm Qasr in southern Iraq late yesterday, while SAS troopers were reported to have taken part in an attack by coalition special forces on airfields in the west of the country.

Australian commander Brigadier Maurie McNarn revealed the increased RAN commitment to the war yesterday and conceded that civilian casualties from Australian attacks could not be ruled out.

His comments came as British press reports suggested Australians had been among a force that raided two bases on Iraq's border with Jordan, which resulted in the deaths of dozens of Iraqi troops and the discovery of electronic equipment used to direct bio-chemical weapons.

The force launched strikes on two crucial Iraqi bases, codenamed H2 and H3, on either side of the desert town of Rutba, according to reports in the News of the World.

The Iraqis were suspected of moving missile launchers to Rutba, a key spot to launch missiles or air attacks on Israel.

During the briefing at Central Command in Qatar yesterday, Brigadier McNarn declined to comment in detail on SAS operations, but did say they were in western Iraq and that their primary focus was weapons of mass destruction in areas where strikes could be launched at neighbouring countries.

Brigadier McNarn spoke of the role of the navy divers for the first time and revealed that RAAF FA-18s had struck at tanks, a barracks and Iraqi defensive positions.

"The aim is to quickly open the port for the delivery of international humanitarian aid," Brigadier McNarn said.

A mine-laying craft had been discovered at the port, as well as mines stored in a warehouse.

"You have to work on the worst case," he said.

The SAS had encountered "hard-core" Iraqi elements, including special forces and intelligence service operatives and had called in air strikes and engaged units of up to a platoon strength.

"We have had a rolling series of contacts of the last couple of days," he said.

"As you would be well aware, we carry a fairly lethal array of weapons with those patrols and the people manning them are extraordinarily competent in other ways, we have close air support and in some cases a combination of both.

"When we have had to close with the enemy and use our weapons in direct fire role we have. Where we can use air support we have done that as well. It's a fairly complex and well integrated fire system between all those different elements.

"Our main focus at the moment is ensuring that they don't get any missiles away into their neighbour states or any further missiles, in particular any with chemical warheads, that is our primary focus at the moment."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
apocolypse
Jedi Knight

Post by apocolypse »

Damn, Aussies are clearing mines over at Quasar. When did they get hyperdrives? JK :D That is good news though, it will ease the way in for shipping.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Wow, I didn't know they planted mines on quasars!

<ignores boos>

Thank you! I'm here till Thursday!
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

We could have just thrown the Collins Class subs in there.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Durandal wrote:Wow, I didn't know they planted mines on quasars!

<ignores boos>

::screams::

NOOO! A PUNNING MODERATOR!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

phongn wrote:

<ignores boos>

::screams::

NOOO! A PUNNING MODERATOR!
OW, my puncreas.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

<ignores boos>

Ack, ack, the pain!
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

B-17 Pilot wrote:Ack, ack, the pain!