Marvel is pathetically sexist.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Marvel is pathetically sexist.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 63942.html
Sexist apparel and toys for children are sadly nothing new, but it's even sadder that manufacturers continue to produce them. Marvel, the comic book publisher, is now contributing to the boys are strong/girls are weak dichotomy with two t-shirts based on the popular "Avengers" franchise.

The shirt for boys declares, "Be A Hero," while the shirt for girls says, "I Need A Hero." Anyone else sick of the idea that girls are incapable of taking care of themselves and being their own heroes?

This isn't the first time "The Avengers" has gotten flack for sexism. Cartoonist Kevin Bolk made a splash when he re-drew the Avenger's movie poster depicting the bodies of the male characters in the pose Marvel usually reserves for females -- booty out.

To make the t-shirt situation worse, the one for boys costs eight dollars less than the one for girls.

LOOK: The difference between an "Avengers" shirt for boys and for girls
Were they so stupid they thought no one would object to this, do they not give a fuck about what their customers think, or are they banking on all their customers being sexist?

Whatever the reason is, fuck them.

Also, I really want to hear what Joss Whedon thinks of this.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Marvel is pathetically sexist.

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It flies in the face of how they were depicting Romanov and Hill as being strong women in the film, despite having no superpowers themselves.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's true.

But then, they were in a Joss Whedon film, and whatever faults Joss Whedon has he's not adverse to heroic women. The people in charge of merchandizing in Marvel, on the other hand, seem to feel differently.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Wow, I have to say, I find the "what century are we in again?" complaint boring but this...this makes me feel like asking. How this slips under a manager's nose is just baffling.
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

But doesn't Marvel portray a variety of strong women, both hero and non-hero? So why the hell does someone want to claim that they're being sexist over a couple of lousy t-shirts? *shakes head sadly*
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Whoa whoa hang on - comics? Sexist?

Is this a real thread? :v

The only surprise to me is that these t-shirts aren't for adults.

Hey DJ I think you left out the 'huge titted' and 'in their underpants' in your post. Five minute edit window dude!
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

First, even if Marvel were a paragon of equality and feminism in their works, it still wouldn't shield them from criticism for doing something this sexist. And remember, it's never just a couple shirts, or a cartoon, or a joke, or anything, since sexism is so omnipresent that even little things just add on to it. Don't try to look at them all individually and say each one isn't worth much, since they AREN'T individual separate things to the people that have to deal with them.

But that was with us making an assumption about Marvel, and having muscular women punch stuff in your comics is nowhere near a sufficient and great portrayal for women. The mainstream American comics industry is more rife with sexism than any other major entertainment media in the country I can think of, from the art to the stories to the marketing and everything.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DieselJester wrote:But doesn't Marvel portray a variety of strong women, both hero and non-hero? So why the hell does someone want to claim that they're being sexist over a couple of lousy t-shirts? *shakes head sadly*
Because the shirts are sexist?

And its not just the shirts. Stark is right about there being a lot of sexism in comics.
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
DieselJester wrote:But doesn't Marvel portray a variety of strong women, both hero and non-hero? So why the hell does someone want to claim that they're being sexist over a couple of lousy t-shirts? *shakes head sadly*
Because the shirts are sexist?

And its not just the shirts. Stark is right about there being a lot of sexism in comics.

Really? Hm. I don't read a lot of comics anymore so I'm not sure what the current stories are or how they're being portrayed short of what they put into the movies nowadays. I'm just going off of what I remember reading as a teenager and my impression of Marvel Comics at the time. I always thought of the 'strong' women as not being simply physically strong or having any kind of super powers but mentally strong, emotionally strong, etc... Strong Personalities, in other words.
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

And huge tits. And that whole 'impossibly small waist' period. I mean I thought the thread would be laughing at kids t shirts because the boy one says WORK HARD AND BE BUFF LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA and the girl one says GET AN EATING DISORDER AND HUGE BREAST IMPLANTS LIKE FEMALE SUPER HEROES. :lol:
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Well to be fair, almost everyone in comic books has an impossible body. At least the recent movies have extremely difficult to get bodies, as a result of using real people.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Look the joke is they're for men so the laughable sexualisation of women in them don't really impact girls vey much (outside of t shirts). But a woman doesn't have to hear it for it to be sexist against women.

Comics as a role model is a ridiculous idea anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. Like I said, if it was adult women wearing that shirt would anyone care?

What if she had HUGE TITS?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Stark wrote:And huge tits. And that whole 'impossibly small waist' period. I mean I thought the thread would be laughing at kids t shirts because the boy one says WORK HARD AND BE BUFF LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA and the girl one says GET AN EATING DISORDER AND HUGE BREAST IMPLANTS LIKE FEMALE SUPER HEROES. :lol:
You forgot having your spine removed so you can do the silly cover poses showing off your tits and ass at the same time, despite this requiring you to twist your torso more than 180 degrees.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

On a related note, I'm disappointed that Disney didn't make a Sergeant Calhoun action figure for Wreck-It Ralph.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Well, Marvel has got the new Captain Marvel comics (which is Ms Marvel, except with a name change plus a less t&a costume), plus Sif is now the star of Journey into Mystery, which are both pretty feminist. And there's a new all-female X-men series starting next month, which may or may not be racist, but judging by the costumes, is at least going to have semi-realistic proportions:

What really sucks though, is that they create stuff like this, but it's almost impossible to find a Ms Marvel t-shirt, even though Carol Danvers is awesome, cause she's basically just like me except blonde and with superpowers.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Well as long as it doesn't result in women imitating the Mohawk look! :shock: :lol:
Lusankya
ChiCom

EnterpriseSovereign is pathetically sexist.

Post by Lusankya »

Who died and made you the boss of women's hairstyling decisions?
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

The same guy who told him nobody likes punk/goth/whatever chicks with nose piercings and tattoo sleeves and all that stuff.

Anyway, comics are sexist? Of course they are. But if I've learned anything from Cracked, is that you can't even imply that without making a shitstorm.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I'm not even sure what joke he is trying to make. Does he not like punk girls? Do a lot of comic book woman have mohawks? Does it make me an idiot to think this much about any post ES has ever made?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i can't find anything on a superhero named mohawk.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Well as long as it doesn't result in women imitating the Mohawk look! :shock: :lol:
I hope they do. I only vaguely remember when they were sort of popular, it would be interesting to see.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Is that supposed to be Rogue in the green suit with the broken wrist and spine?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Vendetta wrote:You forgot having your spine removed so you can do the silly cover poses showing off your tits and ass at the same time, despite this requiring you to twist your torso more than 180 degrees.
You do not mean more than 180 degrees - that's past the point where the breasts are directly above the buttocks. In actuality, a 60 degree twist would show both, and that's easily achievable for anyone in reasonably good health.
Terralthra wrote:Is that supposed to be Rogue in the green suit with the broken wrist and spine?
Seriously? They might have drawn her hand a little long, but are you under the impression that a person's spine is an immobile rod? Just shifting your weight from one leg to the other will result in your spine bending from side to side.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

yeah, that rouge is fine, it's when you get both buttcheeks on view then it's twisty.

escher girls is great, but this one of catwoman has to be my favorite: http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/post/3697 ... transplant
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Grumman wrote:
Terralthra wrote:Is that supposed to be Rogue in the green suit with the broken wrist and spine?
Seriously? They might have drawn her hand a little long, but are you under the impression that a person's spine is an immobile rod? Just shifting your weight from one leg to the other will result in your spine bending from side to side.
It will result in your spine arching, but not like that image. Seriously, go ask a woman to tilt her hips to the side and put a hand on the up-tilted hip. See what the spine actually does.