Margaret Thatcher dies at 87

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Margaret Thatcher dies at 87

Post by Dalton »

Apologies I'm on my phone.

Link
Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, the “Iron Lady” who led a conservative resurgence in her home country and forged a legendary partnership with President Ronald Reagan, died Monday following a stroke, her spokesman said. She was 87.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Margaret Thatcher dies at 87

Post by Crazedwraith »

I wonder if the general reaction will stick to 'don't speak ill of the dead'. I know Thatcher is thought very poorly of in some circles. I don't know how modern conservatives feel about her now. OBviously she was popular at the time, I didn't know she was the longest serving post-war PM.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I suspect the pubs in Scotland will do well today.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Almost certainly Siege. I personally don't believe in not speaking ill of the dead, particularly since I was more than happy to speak ill of her while she was alive too...dropping dead doesn't change that.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Crazedwraith wrote:I wonder if the general reaction will stick to 'don't speak ill of the dead'. I know Thatcher is thought very poorly of in some circles. I don't know how modern conservatives feel about her now. OBviously she was popular at the time, I didn't know she was the longest serving post-war PM.
That film probably helped her image a bit, so that worked out for her.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

She was a titan in politics, her political acumen only matched by her xenophobia and racism.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lady Reagan was a lousy PM and she's dead. And listening to Morning Joke and Chris Matthews talk about what a great leader she was and how STRONG she was makes me wish I was too.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

semi-relevent

Nah. in fairness she died years ago. Today was just an old lady with dementia.

Seen on twitter re her state burial:
"Should be offered to lowest bidder. It's what she would have wanted."
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

So, why is a friend of president Botha not a pariah, again?
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

The conservatives on Facebook are all weeping and praising her, and of course offended that she might be criticized now that she's dead.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Luckily that sort of thing only appears once on my fb wall, and equal number of times as some has said 'Thatcher? I barely remember John Major. I have no opinion of Thatcher. I'll wait till Blair dies before caring about dead PMs"
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

did she accomplish anything good while in power?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Akhlut wrote:So, why is a friend of president Botha not a pariah, again?
Because she was also a friend of Pinochet, Suharto, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein and Bitburg Ronnie. Now she joins them all in hell.
SystemError
Redshirt

Post by SystemError »

There are some oh-so-heartwarming tributes from American politicians to Margaret Thatcher on Twitter. My favorite comes from Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas:
"The best way to honor Baroness Thatcher is to crush liberalism and sweep it into the dustbin of history. What are you doing this morning?"
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... e-thatcher
"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long. And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."
- Stephen King, The Stand

"Ozone Man, Ozone. He's crazy, way out, far out, man." — George H.W. Bush, speaking about Al Gore during the 1992 presidential campaign
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

dragon wrote:did she accomplish anything good while in power?
She did win that war against Argentina and got the south of England more financial power, at the same time pushing policies that enhanced British profit from the EU. Whether those were good moves largely depend on your ideology.

I suspect that in a few decades there will be a more nuanced view of her, right now she is very polarizing.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thanas wrote:She did win that war against Argentina and got the south of England more financial power, at the same time pushing policies that enhanced British profit from the EU.
And dealt with the IRA and the trade unions. She was indisputably the greatest post-war PM the UK's had.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Elfdart wrote:
Akhlut wrote:So, why is a friend of president Botha not a pariah, again?
Because she was also a friend of Pinochet, Suharto, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein and Bitburg Ronnie. Now she joins them all in hell.
On the bright side, Mahathir feuded with her government with a "Buy British Last" campaign in the early 80's :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I remember how 2 years ago I read a book that was basically conservative propaganda. Even that book admitted that her handling of the strike was pretty bad. I mean, congrats on being the very first female prime minister, but

Also, how was she a xenophobe? she just struck me as very conservative.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Yan wrote:Also, how was she a xenophobe? she just struck me as very conservative.
She literally claimed that Germany would immediately become Nazi again if allowed to reunify.
------------
------------
My LPs
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I was only 5 when she left office so she was before my time, but the one thing that comes to mind when I think of what she did was her handling of the Falklands.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:
Darth Yan wrote:Also, how was she a xenophobe? she just struck me as very conservative.
She literally claimed that Germany would immediately become Nazi again if allowed to reunify.
She also regarded Nelson Mandela as a terrorist and didn't have an issue with Apartheid according to Martin Bashir. Lovely woman.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

Well I am from the valleys where she is probably THE most hated pm ever. I am happy at no ones death but It doesn't mean I like her.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Rest in peace Baroness Thatcher.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

She might have been a good PM in some regards but I'm sure you won't find many in Scotland and the north of England who will be mourning her passing after what she did.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

For beating the coal miners' union in the 1980s? Those mines were fucked anyways - they would have closed as soon as the tap of public money was cut off (which is what happened once the industry was re-privatized in the early 1990s).

Honestly, if it hadn't been Thatcher, it would have been someone similar in terms of economic and labor policy after the Winter of Discontent. She did do some good in that area, even if she had a ton of shitty policies elsewhere.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood