The Republican Civil War over gay rights has begun

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SystemError
Redshirt

The Republican Civil War over gay rights has begun

Post by SystemError »

Two unrelated news items that, taken together, seem to form a narrative:

An RNC Committeman from Michigan named Dave Agema posted a link on his Facebook wall to a missive suggesting, among other things, that the homosexual lifestyle is "filthy". Other Republicans called for him to resign his post. He declined.
Michigan Republican Dave Agema says he is refusing to resign after promoting an article that said “part of the homosexual agenda is to get the public to affirm their filthy lifestyle."

"They say 'Dave's got to withdraw' or 'he's got to resign,' which I'm not going to do," Agema told WWMT Newschannel 3.

Agema, a former lawmaker who now serves as a Michigan Republican National Committeeman, said he posted the article to promote discussion on gay issues within the GOP.

"Now's the time to discuss it, that's why I brought it up," Agema said. "Say, 'oh, you're dividing the party,' no, I don't think so; we're standing on the principle of the party. If the party doesn't stand on its principle, we'll lose our base."
And the dean of GOP bastion of "higher learning", Mat Stover, is on record calling Senator Portman, Karl Rove, Reince Priebus and the Log Cabin Republicans "cockroaches":

"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long. And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."
- Stephen King, The Stand

"Ozone Man, Ozone. He's crazy, way out, far out, man." — George H.W. Bush, speaking about Al Gore during the 1992 presidential campaign
SystemError
Redshirt

Re: The Republican Civil War over gay rights has begun

Post by SystemError »

I forgot to mention the eliminationist rhetoric of the host in that video clip:
Eliason: You know Mat, as we look back to a term that isn’t new but they call them Log Cabin Republicans and that of course was the group that favored homosexual involvement and moral decadence, as I define it, but this was the liberal element. When I saw that happen years ago down in my heart I thought: Is there nobody to clean the cockroaches out? Why do you coexist with that?
"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long. And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."

"Ozone Man, Ozone. He's crazy, way out, far out, man." — George H.W. Bush, speaking about Al Gore during the 1992 presidential campaign
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Not sure this is really much of a "Civil War" that implies there is a side growing to support Gay marriage in the GOP. Really what we are seeing with the above are some people saying something really REALLY stupid and other people in the GOP trying to get him not to cause a shitstorm.

Not really because they are supporting Gays, but mostly to try to keep them from looking worse then they currently do.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
SystemError
Redshirt

Post by SystemError »

http://schoolcraftrepublican.info/end-of-the-gop/
How then can we as Christians stay in a party that adopts Homosexuality into the fabric of the tent. I say we cannot. Homosexuals make up less than one percent of the total population. They must prey on our children to increase their numbers. Why then, would we, as a party, entertain this perversion? We as a party should be purging this perversion and send them to a party with a much bigger tent. When we lose track of foundational principles we lose the very essence of our party. By throwing God under the bus we become nothing more than the poor Democrats who have lost their way and by doing so have lost their party.
But you guys, whatever happened to the idea that the Tea Party wasn't about social issues?

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

How then can we as Christians stay in a party that adopts Homosexuality into the fabric of the tent. I say we cannot. Homosexuals make up less than one percent of the total population. They must prey on our children to increase their numbers.
Hello? 1969 called, it wants its bigotry back.

I, for one, look forward to a Republican meltdown, whether over this or something else I don't care.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice