Chem factory found

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

kojikun
BANNED

Chem factory found

Post by kojikun »

Supposedly they found a chemical weapons factory in an najaf or al kuat or something like that according to MSNBC. chemicals were there apparently.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

US troops have found a chemical factory in a country that ran its economy on petrochemicals. Even the Pentagon is saying that it's way to soon to leap to the conclusion that they've found a chemical weapons plant.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:US troops have found a chemical factory in a country that ran its economy on petrochemicals. Even the Pentagon is saying that it's way to soon to leap to the conclusion that they've found a chemical weapons plant.
No but it is supposedly camoflauged and garrisoned heavily. I'm guessing they're making something they shouldn't be.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Stormbringer wrote:No but it is supposedly camoflauged and garrisoned heavily. I'm guessing they're making something they shouldn't be.
Very likely but let's not jump the gun here.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Enlightenment wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:No but it is supposedly camoflauged and garrisoned heavily. I'm guessing they're making something they shouldn't be.
Yes, they were probably making baby milk or fertilizer, which would explain the need for heavy concealment.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Yeah, those petro factories all have a general and troops attached to them. :roll:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:
Yeah. Because we all know that the Iraq have a such a need theft problem that they have conceal and garrison their fertilizer factories.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Stravo wrote:Yeah, those petro factories all have a general and troops attached to them. :roll:
Keep in mind this is a part of Iraq where the local population tried to rebel... Local security might well be an issue.

Chances are they have found a chemical weapons plant but lets wait for the facts to come in before pulling a Darkstar and summarily declaring victory.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:
Stravo wrote:Yeah, those petro factories all have a general and troops attached to them. :roll:
Keep in mind this is a part of Iraq where the local population tried to rebel... Local security might well be an issue.

Chances are they have found a chemical weapons plant but lets wait for the facts to come in before pulling a Darkstar and summarily declaring victory.
As opposed to you jumping to the conclusion that a camoflouged, garrisoned factory is safe and harmless?
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Stormbringer wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:

As opposed to you jumping to the conclusion that a camoflouged, garrisoned factory is safe and harmless?
To be fair, I haven't seen him say it wasn't a chemical agent factory.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The garrison doesn't really tell us anything. It could just be an outgrowth of air defenses installed n the 80's to guard against Iran, which bombed and destroyed a good part of Iraq's oil industry in that area.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Stormbringer wrote:
Enlightenment wrote: Chances are they have found a chemical weapons plant but lets wait for the facts to come in before pulling a Darkstar and summarily declaring victory.
Cast your eyes a little higher up the screen to the portion of my post that you quoted. I'll repeat it for you:

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

ok, right, a plant which is camouflaged specifically to hide from satellite detection is not something major.. uh huh.. and remind me again when Iran and Iraqi rebels put satellites into orbit..
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

kojikun wrote:ok, right, a plant which is camouflaged specifically to hide from satellite detection is not something major.. uh huh.. and remind me again when Iran and Iraqi rebels put satellites into orbit..
Do you have a reputable source (sorry, Faux doesn't count) that says the facility was specifically camo'ed against satellites rather than, for instance, recon aircraft?
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

watch the news. every news agency is reporting it.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Guys, Enlightenment is right here, let's not jump to conclusions without much evidence (from FNC or otherwise).

That said, Reuters has an article that also says it was camouflaged (and cites FNC, ABC and the Jerusalem Post).
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

A quick list of why this is suspicious, for those just joining.

1. Camoflaged from air recon.
2. Garrisoned, complete with military barracks in the facility.
3. Electrified fence.
4. Booby traps.

While not concrete, it's certainly enough to make one leery.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

phongn wrote:That said, Reuters has an article that also says it was camouflaged (and cites FNC, ABC and the Jerusalem Post).
Yeah. I know it's painted in camo but I'm looking for a source that it was specifically camoed against satellites. Camo against ground forces and recon aircraft is somewhat excusable given the location of the suspected plant but obscuring satellite observation is a little harder to explain away.

And again, I repeat: from the evidence provided so far, this probably is a chemical weapons plant.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

FNC isn't even reporting satellite camoflauge at the moment - just against aerial coverage.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

What works against aircraft will work fairly well against satellites. Better in some cases, since radar recon systems work better at an angle rather then from directly or nearly directly above, and aerial photography has higher resolutions. And of course against a satellite you only need to hid from overheads, the sides can be ignored to an extent.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Update:

US finds nothing at alledged CW plant.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ical_plant

I told you that caution was in order...
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

well obviously, theyve already shipped the dren out to the troops :roll:
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

kojikun wrote:well obviously, theyve already shipped the dren out to the troops :roll:
It's an alledged plant, not a depot...

From the article:
WASHINGTON - U.S. military investigators have found no evidence that chemical weapons have been made in recent years at a suspect chemical plant secured by U.S. troops in southern Iraq (news - web sites), a senior defense official said Tuesday.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:Update:

US finds nothing at alledged CW plant.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ical_plant

I told you that caution was in order...
Indications then were that the plant had not been used for banned weapons activities since 1998, the official said.
No, we found that they hadn't been using it since 1998. That's still making weapons. And the plant was still there as well. If he really intended to give up the program that building wouldn't be there and garrisoned and defended.