US attacks Iraqi leadership?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Serious attack in response to credible evidence
57%
Progaganda attack (eg. attacking obviously empty gov't buildings)
13%
Somewhere in between
30%

Total votes: 23

Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

RE: U.S. attacks Iraqi leadership (CNN says Hussein)

Serious response to a "target of opertunity"?

*or*

Planned attack with no real chance of getting Saddam, just a propaganda tool for both the world and Iraqi citizens (ie. "see we're attacking the leadership, this proves it")
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

NOTE: I'm not saying that attacking a real target vs propaganda target is any better/worse.... propaganda is a weapon in any war, just need to be aware of it so that you're not a sheep. Just looking for opinions on this attack.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

i think it was a shot at the leadership. If you eliminate Saddam and his assclown sons, the whole regime collapses. That's the thing with governments like Saddam's, once you kill the figurehead, the whole ball of yarn unravels. Therefore, instead of an invasion we would most likely be dealing with a peacekeeping/police action type situation. it's good strategy.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Zoink wrote:NOTE: I'm not saying that attacking a real target vs propaganda target is any better/worse.... propaganda is a weapon in any war, just need to be aware of it so that you're not a sheep. Just looking for opinions on this attack.
Hello Deimos fucking Anomaly :roll:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

MKSheppard wrote: Hello Deimos fucking Anomaly :roll:
Don't understand your lingo.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

MKSheppard wrote:Hello Deimos fucking Anomaly :roll:
Shep, Zoink isn't Demios Anomaly. I've checked his IP. Next time try verify it before shooting your mouth off.
Zoink wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: Hello Deimos fucking Anomaly :roll:
Don't understand your lingo.
He think's you're a sock puppetting troll. :roll:
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Stormbringer wrote:
Ah, thanks.

Seems CNN is a sock puppeting troll for asking similar questions. Can't please everyone *shrug*.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Zoink wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Ah, thanks.

Seems CNN is a sock puppeting troll for asking similar questions. Can't please everyone *shrug*.
No, you jut called people sheep. Demios did that all of the time. So Shep as usual went off half cocked.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Just to be clear:
propaganda
n : information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause
If the primary purpose of the attack was to show the world/arab world that the U.S. was targeting the leadership, then the attack was for propaganda.

If the primary purpose of the attack was in response to real evidence on Saddam where-abouts, its not.

People have a tendancy to think propaganda=bad, that's not always true.

If I were Bush (..neglecting that this war wouldn't have happened if that were true) then I would have told my commanders to start the war with an attack on the Iraqi leadership even if that attack has 0% chance of success. The purpose being, to make it clear to the world the intentions of the war.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Its not propaganda. The US wouldn't waste 42 Tomahawks for such a job, that a big chunk of what's in theater. A few F-117 sorties could supply all the Propaganda needed as far less cost.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stormbringer wrote: Shep, Zoink isn't Demios Anomaly. I've checked his IP. Next time try verify it before shooting your mouth off.
Stormy, Deimos' primary account at SB.com has the nickname
"super sheep", because he LOVES to go around talking about
the majority of the populace as sheep, and when I see some moron
talking about sheep....well, you know...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Stormbringer wrote: Shep, Zoink isn't Demios Anomaly. I've checked his IP. Next time try verify it before shooting your mouth off.
Stormy, Deimos' primary account at SB.com has the nickname
"super sheep", because he LOVES to go around talking about
the majority of the populace as sheep, and when I see some moron
talking about sheep....well, you know...
you just shoot your mouth off without any evidence?
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stormbringer wrote: you just shoot your mouth off without any evidence?
Me not a mod = Me cannot do IP checks.

Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I don't really care, I was just confused over what he meant, as I didn't know this Diemos story.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Duh. Which is a good reason to mention it to a mod before shooting your mouth off like an idiot.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stormbringer wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:
Duh. Which is a good reason to mention it to a mod before shooting your mouth off like an idiot.
Or we could just make him a mod. I've always wanted to see what happens when the Universe implodes.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: US attacks Iraqi leadership?

Post by Enlightenment »

Zoink wrote: Serious response to a "target of opertunity"?

*or*

Planned attack with no real chance of getting Saddam, just a propaganda tool for both the world and Iraqi citizens (ie. "see we're attacking the leadership, this proves it")
Chances are its the latter. It would be a remarkable 'target of opportunity' that hung around for the 4-8 hours it takes to generate an F-117 mission or for the time it takes to generate and load a TLAM flight path.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Enlightenment wrote:Chances are its the latter. It would be a remarkable 'target of opportunity' that hung around for the 4-8 hours it takes to generate an F-117 mission or for the time it takes to generate and load a TLAM flight path.
Probably. It'd depend on whether we had any planes standing by. Either why it was probably a longshot thing.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

There's no way in hell it was propaganda. Coupled with the facts, it's almost political suicide to try it. First off, they're popping off at the mouth and keep reporting 'regret any civilian casualties' everytime you hear them. Plus they have the media reporting about thier targets being speciifically at the government. So they're jump of the gun last night was almost clearly going to be on a true target they could NOT pass up. Not to mention thier proper unloading of many of my fellow Americans tax dollars. If the tomahawks weren't enough, the MOAB should have got the job done. Propoganda also I believe if found out, that they were just tooting thier own horn would bring a lot of people, not foreigners on them.

Regardless, propoganda or not, the objective is to take down Hussein, and his sons. There's no point at all, to botch up a victory, simply because they think a missile might endanger a life. While they should try and maintain a low loss of casualties on Iraqi civilians, it's not something you just throw the war over.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Enlightenment wrote:
Zoink wrote: Serious response to a "target of opertunity"?

*or*

Chances are its the latter. It would be a remarkable 'target of opportunity' that hung around for the 4-8 hours it takes to generate an F-117 mission or for the time it takes to generate and load a TLAM flight path.

4-8 hour meetings are not an unusual thing in politics or business. Anyway, this really would have taken human Intel in which case planners might have known before it started.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

DG_Cal_Wright wrote:There's no way in hell it was propaganda. Coupled with the facts, it's almost political suicide to try it. First off, they're popping off at the mouth and keep reporting 'regret any civilian casualties' everytime you hear them. Plus they have the media reporting about thier targets being speciifically at the government. So they're jump of the gun last night was almost clearly going to be on a true target they could NOT pass up. Not to mention thier proper unloading of many of my fellow Americans tax dollars. If the tomahawks weren't enough, the MOAB should have got the job done. Propoganda also I believe if found out, that they were just tooting thier own horn would bring a lot of people, not foreigners on them.
Great idea, lets fly a C-130 over Baghdad in daylight! Even better, lets drop a blast weapon, when a big part of the target is bunkers and overbuilt structures, which wouldn't even be scratched. And on top of all that, we get a huge blast and fragments lethal a mile away in the middle of a heavily populated civilian area. My what great planning. :roll:
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
DG_Cal_Wright wrote:There's no way in hell it was propaganda. Coupled with the facts, it's almost political suicide to try it. First off, they're popping off at the mouth and keep reporting 'regret any civilian casualties' everytime you hear them. Plus they have the media reporting about thier targets being speciifically at the government. So they're jump of the gun last night was almost clearly going to be on a true target they could NOT pass up. Not to mention thier proper unloading of many of my fellow Americans tax dollars. If the tomahawks weren't enough, the MOAB should have got the job done. Propoganda also I believe if found out, that they were just tooting thier own horn would bring a lot of people, not foreigners on them.
Great idea, lets fly a C-130 over Baghdad in daylight! Even better, lets drop a blast weapon, when a big part of the target is bunkers and overbuilt structures, which wouldn't even be scratched. And on top of all that, we get a huge blast and fragments lethal a mile away in the middle of a heavily populated civilian area. My what great planning. :roll:
I don't think either one of us were very coherent in our posts. Mine was distracted due to news watching in between words.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Pure propaganda is a bit expensive... At a million a pop for those tomahawks, especially when you consider the fact that IIRC the line to make them has shut down, it's not very likely. (Then again, Clinton did it...)
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Beowulf wrote:Pure propaganda is a bit expensive... At a million a pop for those tomahawks, especially when you consider the fact that IIRC the line to make them has shut down, it's not very likely. (Then again, Clinton did it...)
There's a program fairly well underway to develop a replacement missile for the now venerable Tomahawk. TLAM production is AFIAK halted but the general capability of ship-to-land strike will simply be handed to the TLAM replacement when the existing stocks have been used.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

My sources are telling me that it was, indeed, an attempt to kill Saddam Hussein. One of them said something to the effect of "We had a chance to get him. Even if that was a miniscule chance... we had to take it in the interests of ending the war quickly."
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."