BREAKING NEWS ONLY

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

BREAKING NEWS ONLY

Post by Colonel Olrik »

I've stickied this thread so that we have a means of transmiting the latest gossips and war information, without cluttering the forum with far fetching titled threads, with little or no content.

If the idea doesn't hold, I'll nuke it.
Last edited by Colonel Olrik on 2003-03-25 11:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Good idea, I was about to do that anyway. To kick things off:
Officials now confirm that U.S. Special Forces are performing reconnaissance missions in southern Iraq, CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr reported Thursday morning. "They call it preparing the battlefield," Starr said. A Special Forces helicopter crashed in the southern no-fly zone, late Wednesday -- before the attacks began. No one on board was injured, and all were evacuated, CNN has learned.
Anyway, expect to see "no chemical or biological weapons were used in the Iraqi ..." suffixing every single goddamn fanny fart that comes out of the mainstream media. It's really quite annoying.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Suggested rules for this thread- on approval from Olrik, since he made it:

all news items are to be in quote marks for easy reading, including a link to where you got it from.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crown
NARF

Re: The BREAKING NEWS thread

Post by Crown »

Colonel Olrik wrote:If the idea doesn't hold, I'll nuke it.
*Human Shield*

No you won't

*Human Shield*

:lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Newsflash: Patriot missiles actually work! about friggin time! :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/ ... index.html
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Pentagon Briefing soon, 2 x oilwells on fire
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Pentagon briefing says 3-4 oil wells buring.
Supermod
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Fucking reporters keep asking about the compound bombing...fuck that
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Hmm, so we've got people in the Iraqi armed forces in contact with us,
and we're talking with them :twisted:

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

MKSheppard wrote:Hmm, so we've got people in the Iraqi armed forces in contact with us,
and we're talking with them :twisted:
I suppose large parts of the regular army will surrender or even turn against Saddam. Most of them are poor bastards that only want to get out alive.
Supermod
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

http://www.yahoo.com wrote:"George W. Bush has unleashed an all-out war against Iraq," the International ANSWER coalition said in a statement posted on its Web site Wednesday night shortly after the United States began strikes inside Baghdad. "We join with peace-loving people all over the world in resisting and acting to stop this brutal, illegal and criminal war of aggression."
And the anti-war protestors are all over the matter. I think the above are the militant, unintelligent types.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Saddam lives

Or so it says, apparently.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
MKSheppard

Possible RUMINT

Post by MKSheppard »

CURRENT RUMINT
Initial reports from the Pentagon indicate that the Iraqi air raid sirens were sounded minutes before the 117's or the cruise missles were over Baghdad.

Intel Officers are reviewing video tapes to mark the times when the sirens were sounded to find if the Iraqis are able to ID the 117 abd render it's stealth capabilities moot.

Since the advent of the 117 some scientists, admittedly on the fringe, have said that they had found a weakness in the stealth fighter. This Achilles heel is exploited by synchronizing emitter and reciever radar stations in an effort to pick up the return that is scattered by the Stealth. The level of sophistication needed to pull this synchronization off is held by only a few countries and China is one of them.

After DS I, Iraq contracted with NORINCO to rebuild it's air defense network. This rebuild was state of the art including high speed computers, fiber optic cabling networks, and the latest Chinese radar sets. This set up COULD be structured to be able to see the F-117 Stealth Fighter and MAY even be able to see the B-2 Bomber and will be a grave danger to the remaining Allied aircraft operating over Baghdad.

It seems that Saddam has learned a lesson or two from DS I. I hope not.

MKSheppard

Uday might be out of the action

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.irna.com/en/head/030320112207.ehe.shtml

USWAR/Uday suffers brain hemorrhage

Tehran, March 20, IRNA -- Uday, the elder son of Iraqi President
Saddam Hussein, struck by brain hemorrhage following conflict with a
member of Saddam's Fedayeen on Thursday.

Mosuah al-Nahrain in its website on Thursday quoted sources north
of Iraq as saying that very tough and indecent orders, issued by Uday,
who heads Saddam's Fedayeen, had provoked the conflict as the young
man attacked Uday.

Uday's bodyguards then beat the man to injury.
The website declined to give further comments.
BG/AR
End

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

FOX news showing artillery duels in night vision. Saying that this is the 1st Stage of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and that it's now underway!

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Shinova wrote:
http://www.yahoo.com wrote:<snip Communist bullshit>
And the anti-war protestors are all over the matter. I think the above are the militant, unintelligent types.
That's not saying the half of it. A.N.S.W.E.R. is a front for the Worker's World Party, a bunch of old-school Stalinists. Apparently, Bush is evil for attacking Iraq, but Stalin isn't for murdering tens of millions of people.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

MKSheppard wrote:FOX news showing artillery duels in night vision. Saying that this is the 1st Stage of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and that it's now underway!
They are also saying that Iraqi artillery is over shooting the 3rd LAR.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Crown
NARF

Re: Possible RUMINT

Post by Crown »

MKSheppard wrote:CURRENT RUMINT
Initial reports from the Pentagon indicate that the Iraqi air raid sirens were sounded minutes before the 117's or the cruise missles were over Baghdad.

Intel Officers are reviewing video tapes to mark the times when the sirens were sounded to find if the Iraqis are able to ID the 117 abd render it's stealth capabilities moot.

Since the advent of the 117 some scientists, admittedly on the fringe, have said that they had found a weakness in the stealth fighter. This Achilles heel is exploited by synchronizing emitter and reciever radar stations in an effort to pick up the return that is scattered by the Stealth. The level of sophistication needed to pull this synchronization off is held by only a few countries and China is one of them.

After DS I, Iraq contracted with NORINCO to rebuild it's air defense network. This rebuild was state of the art including high speed computers, fiber optic cabling networks, and the latest Chinese radar sets. This set up COULD be structured to be able to see the F-117 Stealth Fighter and MAY even be able to see the B-2 Bomber and will be a grave danger to the remaining Allied aircraft operating over Baghdad.

It seems that Saddam has learned a lesson or two from DS I. I hope not.
Actually you can also pic up stealth planes with mobile phone networks, but the amount of planets that need to be in allignment for this to happen only occur once every blue moon (I am not making fun Shep, I'm just adding to the report). Basically it breakes down like this, 2 towers send a signal between each other, the signal is interupted when the stealth fighter 'crosses' between them, and so on and so forth. But to build a network of these things is impracticle and probably ineffective (taken from a Popular Science article).

The timming of the F-117A's occured sincroneously (is that a word?) as the tomahawk strikes. My bet is the radar was picking them up.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.irna.com/en/head/030320193234.ehe.shtml

Tehran, March 20, IRNA -- the Supreme Assembly of Islamic Revolution
in Iraq reported a short while ago that the US forces are now
one kilometer from Basra.
Sources close to Supreme Assembly of Islamic Revolution in Iraq
(SAIRI) said the US troops are likely to launch ground offensives
on the city imminently.
The sources say the US forces prefer to launch attacks at night.
Basra is a Shiite inhabited province south of Iraq near the
Persian Gulf.
BG/RR
End

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Fox news now reporting LARGE explosions near Basrah

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

SkyNews seems to have live reports from the front lines. They are not giving location but they are rolling with our troops. Sorry, I don't have a link.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Last edited by MKSheppard on 2003-03-20 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Shep, INLINE THE GODDAMN PICTURE!
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

No Sign of Fire at South Iraqi Oilfields-Witnesses
Thu March 20, 2003 12:30 PM ET
KUWAIT (Reuters) - There are no signs of fire at Iraqi oil fields near the border with Kuwait that Washington said may have been set ablaze by Iraq, Reuters eyewitnesses said on Thursday.
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said there are indications Iraq may have set fire to three to four oil wells in the south of the country.

But a Reuters correspondent, stationed about 60 km (35 miles) southwest of the Iraqi port city of Basra, said: "Looking through a long-range night vision lens, there is no evidence of fires at the Iraqi oilfields bordering Kuwait that we can see, or at least 50 kilometers beyond that."

"If you look in the direction of the Rumaila oilfield (in Iraq) there is nothing on the horizon and no indication of fire," a second Reuters correspondent at the same location said.

The correspondents also said they had heard large explosions coming from the direction of Basra, but said there was still no evidence of oilfield fires following the sounds of the blasts. (Reporting by Michael Georgy and Rosalind Russell)

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=2417372
So, are they on fire, or not?
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Warspite wrote:Shep, INLINE THE GODDAMN PICTURE!
I've been trying to do that the last 3 minuites!

The goddamn board is fucking falling from a great height, and lord
MJ needs to be fired by wong.