Breaking News - Gas attacks by Iraq on Kuwait City

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Breaking News - Gas attacks by Iraq on Kuwait City

Post by Archaic` »

News just broken on Fox News. Gas attack sirens are sounding in Kuwait City. They don't know what was in the canisters that were fired as of yet, however we can see here live that all the reporters and military are rushing to get their masks on. I imagine you're probably all watching this at the moment anyway, but in any case.......I suppose this kills any arguements that he didn't still have the things. Let's see if France lives up to their pledge, eh?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Boba Fett
Jedi Master

Post by Boba Fett »

That's funny.

Now it's 10:40 here. Two hours ago I've heard that they started to equip the troops with gas masks in Kuwait.

Now a canister full of gas is "landed" in Kuwait.

That's makes me suspicious.

I'd bet on it that the gas was in real harmless and it was only fired to cover the Big Lie.

(I'm not against the war but that was a bit suspicious...) :wink:
Visit Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Member of BotM and HAB
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

I was wondering how the hell the Iraqi military could have managed it, because there are supposed tobe a fucking lot of American troops in between Kuwait City and them, said American troops preparing to saddle up and roll forward any moment, to say nothing of the bombing campaign whose first strikes are some places in Baghdad and the air defense grid all over Iraq, as well as Iraqi military units near the border that could conceivably pose a threat to US forces or the civilians of Kuwait. Until I get confirmation from more credible sources, I'm going to disregard this.

Edi
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Well, you can turn it on to any of the news networks yourself and hear the sirens from the live reporters.

And apparently just now the third of who knows how many SCUD's has been fired from Iraq towards Kuwait.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

The closest on-line report from a reputable news source (Faux news isn't reputable) is that Iraq fired two missiles into the Kuwaiti desert. Troops in the area were ordered to don protective gear but the missiles do not appear to have been carrying chemical or biological weapons.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=2413775
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Faux News: we distort. You comply.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Boba Fett wrote:That's funny.
Now it's 10:40 here. Two hours ago I've heard that they started to equip the troops with gas masks in Kuwait.

Now a canister full of gas is "landed" in Kuwait.

That's makes me suspicious.

I'd bet on it that the gas was in real harmless and it was only fired to cover the Big Lie.

(I'm not against the war but that was a bit suspicious...) :wink:
You're full of shit. Every US soldier in the Gulf walked off a plane with a
gas mask. Gas Masks have been a part of US kit since World War I.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Right ......... just thought seeing US troops waving their guns in the air like idiots was a bit out of character- that guy closest to the camera could use some exercise. This is supposed to be a "Seminole Indian war dance" according to Fox News.

Anyway- Fox News is reporting that a US missile has intercepted an Iraqi SCUD. From where and going to, I know not.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

I'm watching the live BBC TV news stream now. No talk of any gas attacks whatsoever.

The Faux News headline is now returning a 404 error...
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Enlightenment wrote:I'm watching the live BBC TV news stream now. No talk of any gas attacks whatsoever.

The Faux News headline is now returning a 404 error...
I dont know Fox news, is it safe to say they are idiots?
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stuart Mackey wrote: I dont know Fox news, is it safe to say they are idiots?
CNN is left leaning idiots.

Fox News is right leaning idiots.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Stuart Mackey wrote:I dont know Fox news, is it safe to say they are idiots?
Fox news is basically tabloid trash on video rather than newsprint.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Doesn't look like a gas attack. The reports I am seeing/hearing are that they were conventional warheads being fired into our own troops.

Nice move.

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

MKSheppard wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote: I dont know Fox news, is it safe to say they are idiots?
CNN is left leaning idiots.

Fox News is right leaning idiots.
Thank god I live in NZ, we have reasonably balanced news, not nessarily quality, well researched news, but reasonably balanced news.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

--------------
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Enlightenment wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:I dont know Fox news, is it safe to say they are idiots?
Fox news is basically tabloid trash on video rather than newsprint.
Indeed, so do they have page three girls? if so, I want a link to it. :)

--------------
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

EmperorMing wrote:Doesn't look like a gas attack. The reports I am seeing/hearing are that they were conventional warheads being fired into our own troops.
Reports I see here indicate the Iraqi missiles had about the same accuracy as those fired in Gulf War II and as such hit precisely nothing.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Enlightenment wrote: Reports I see here indicate the Iraqi missiles had about the same accuracy as those fired in Gulf War II and as such hit precisely nothing.
Funnily enough, they weren't supposed to have those missiles.

Hans Blix is a fat fucking liar.

EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Enlightenment wrote:
EmperorMing wrote:Doesn't look like a gas attack. The reports I am seeing/hearing are that they were conventional warheads being fired into our own troops.
Reports I see here indicate the Iraqi missiles had about the same accuracy as those fired in Gulf War II and as such hit precisely nothing.
An accuracy of +/- five miles... :P

Kill your God!
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Nice move.
I get this image of Bush and Saddam playing a land version of battleship, with Bush having this mirror behind Saddam, Bush is giggling everytime Saddam miss's and Saddam has just said "You blew up my Comand bunker!"

--------------
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

We have an interesting situation going on right now where the (apparently) failed attempt to take out the Iraqi leadership has led to this almost ludicrous artillery duel along the Kuwaiti border with the Iraqis lobbing missiles at us while our troops hunker down in bunkers waiting for the "go" order.

It's now 1:16 PM in Baghdad, and part of the reason why the Iraqis still have tubes in operation is probably because the majority of our air assets are being concentrated and prepped for the shock and awe assault, which will come when darkness falls there. Until then, we're actually under attack by them; weird situation, but you get those in War, which is rather unpredictable.

So far no chemical weapons have been employed, but the Iraqis have been using a full range of artillery, mortars, rockets, and missiles. The Patriot's latest incarnation, at least, is rather more successful than the original at shooting down missiles; rather good, that.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

MKSheppard wrote:
Funnily enough, they weren't supposed to have those missiles.

Hans Blix is a fat fucking liar.
When did Hans Blix say Iraq didn't have any SCUDs? Never.
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:We have an interesting situation going on right now where the (apparently) failed attempt to take out the Iraqi leadership has led to this almost ludicrous artillery duel along the Kuwaiti border with the Iraqis lobbing missiles at us while our troops hunker down in bunkers waiting for the "go" order.

It's now 1:16 PM in Baghdad, and part of the reason why the Iraqis still have tubes in operation is probably because the majority of our air assets are being concentrated and prepped for the shock and awe assault, which will come when darkness falls there. Until then, we're actually under attack by them; weird situation, but you get those in War, which is rather unpredictable.

So far no chemical weapons have been employed, but the Iraqis have been using a full range of artillery, mortars, rockets, and missiles. The Patriot's latest incarnation, at least, is rather more successful than the original at shooting down missiles; rather good, that.
Well look at it this way, now the Americans know where all that shit is comeing from and the artillery boys are merrily entering their location into the computers for destruction

--------------
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Stuart Mackey wrote:

Nice move.
I get this image of Bush and Saddam playing a land version of battleship, with Bush having this mirror behind Saddam, Bush is giggling everytime Saddam miss's and Saddam has just said "You blew up my Comand bunker!"
That is such a fucked up image... :twisted:

Kill your God!
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Iraq might have chemical artillery chells. Patriot will be a fat lot of use dealing with those.

Pentagon leaks/propaganda reported in various places indicate that this low-intensity bombing campaign will continue for a few days before the main strike begins. Take this with however much of a grain of salt you feel appropriate.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Enlightenment wrote:Iraq might have chemical artillery chells. Patriot will be a fat lot of use dealing with those.

Pentagon leaks/propaganda reported in various places indicate that this low-intensity bombing campaign will continue for a few days before the main strike begins. Take this with however much of a grain of salt you feel appropriate.
The meat-tenderizor before using a cleaver...

Kill your God!