US/UK forces in Kuwait moving towards Iraqi border

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

US/UK forces in Kuwait moving towards Iraqi border

Post by Enlightenment »

Speculation mounting that an attack will be launched before the 48 hour deadline expires.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2863065.stm
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Well even if Saddam did leave, the US would have to go in anyway to occupy. Otherwise, either Saddam could come right back in or could leave a power vacuum which could make things turn ugly.

Though Bush going before the deadline would incite more opposition from other nations.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

The Pope says we face God if we go to war? Funny, isn't that what the muslims are also saying? Nice to know the two religions can find SOMETHING to agree on finally.

France agrees to fight if Iraq uses WMD? No shit, because then it would PROVE that they had them you asses.

Oh well, time to head to the mountains..
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Shinova wrote:Though Bush going before the deadline would incite more opposition from other nations.
It's patently obvious that Shrubby doesn't give a Texas about what anyone else thinks.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Well its 9:00 am NO tanks rolling over the DMZ..Once again the Us bashing from Enleftenment is wrong..(so Far) :wink: I can't wait untill we find the chem and bio weapons that he is not supposed to have or now that the French are worried that he might use weapons he "does not have" ..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Enlightenment wrote:
Shinova wrote:Though Bush going before the deadline would incite more opposition from other nations.
It's patently obvious that Shrubby doesn't give a Texas about what anyone else thinks.
You mean "blatently obvious". ;)

But, well, bring God and Allah on. I hope they like AC-130Us, because I sure hope they can be used in Iraq.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Trytostaydead wrote:The Pope says we face God if we go to war?
Yeah, pretty convientant how Bush forgets about how he's suppost to suck God's dick as promised in his campaign for president.
Funny, isn't that what the muslims are also saying? Nice to know the two religions can find SOMETHING to agree on finally.
For some reason, two non existant dieties against the might of the U.S. and British military doesn't seem like much of a contest,
France agrees to fight if Iraq uses WMD? No shit, because then it would PROVE that they had them you asses.
I don't know how legions of surrendering Frenchmen would help our cause. They'd probably slow us down.
Oh well, time to head to the mountains..
Well, hopefully something good will come from this. War is a terrible thing, but it isn't the worst of things.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

theski wrote:Well its 9:00 am NO tanks rolling over the DMZ..Once again the Us bashing from Enleftenment is wrong..(so Far) :wink: I can't wait untill we find the chem and bio weapons that he is not supposed to have or now that the French are worried that he might use weapons he "does not have" ..
sadly i do believe we will "find" them falling from the sky in Basra and Tel Aviv
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

What's wrong with attacking before the deadline? Saddam said that he was staying in Baghdad, so if he wants to ignore our ultimatum, that's his problem.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

theski wrote:Well its 9:00 am NO tanks rolling over the DMZ..Once again the Us bashing from Enleftenment is wrong..(so Far) :wink: I can't wait untill we find the chem and bio weapons that he is not supposed to have or now that the French are worried that he might use weapons he "does not have" ..
Nononono, the deadline is 8:15pm EST, which is in 7 hours, so they still have time.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
Trytostaydead wrote:France agrees to fight if Iraq uses WMD? No shit, because then it would PROVE that they had them you asses.
I don't know how legions of surrendering Frenchmen would help our cause. They'd probably slow us down.
Tie them to the front of our vehicles... :wink:
JADAFETWA
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

IG-88E wrote:
Wicked Pilot wrote:
Trytostaydead wrote:France agrees to fight if Iraq uses WMD? No shit, because then it would PROVE that they had them you asses.
The acidity in the Frog's breath would destroy the vehicle.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

IG-88E wrote:
Wicked Pilot wrote:
And that would make people not want to attack even more, how? :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

theski wrote:Well its 9:00 am NO tanks rolling over the DMZ..Once again the Us bashing from Enleftenment is wrong..(so Far)
:roll: Idiot.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

This would support an attack being launched soon after, but does nothing to suggest an early one. Once they move out of their bases forces of this size need hours to get assembled and in formation.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Whats wrong E can't take a little sarcasm :roll:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Troops moving towards the border? You know what this means? It means this war will be very run different from the last one. The last one involved a month of bombing before the coalition risked using groundpounders. This means Bush wants the war done as soon as possible, casualties be damned.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

EDIT: F**king doublepost.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Its been stated by several sources that the air war would not be a long drawn out affair. They're thinking of a two or three day long airstrike to soften things up and then in go the ground troops, with the hope that at least the vast majority of teh front line troops simply surrender.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Stravo wrote:Its been stated by several sources that the air war would not be a long drawn out affair. They're thinking of a two or three day long airstrike to soften things up and then in go the ground troops, with the hope that at least the vast majority of teh front line troops simply surrender.
Nah. We've telegraphed our moves way in advance. This could be a huge
disinformation campaign (RE: Shock and Awe), and our troops will jump
off from the Saudi border on H-Hour at 8:00 tonight, exploiting our advantage in night fighting technology, while the USAF and USN blow up enemy HQs ahead of our line of advance...

Everyone expects us to bomb bomb from the air for days before moving in...
what better way by which to fuck the enemy's plans up by not doing what
you've been saying you were gonna do for the last coupla months?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

If anyone attacks too soon, it will be some hothead ready to go and *ahem* pardon the pun, fires prematurely.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

theski wrote: now that the French are worried that he might use weapons he "does not have" ..
The French have never said "Saddam doesn't have weapons of mass destruction". The French wanted to use inspection as a process to ensure Iraq does not have weapons of mass destruction. Their goal was to look for weapons, not look for an excuse to bomb.

The issue was how to go about this disarmament.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Lonestar wrote:Troops moving towards the border? You know what this means? It means this war will be very run different from the last one. The last one involved a month of bombing before the coalition risked using groundpounders. This means Bush wants the war done as soon as possible, casualties be damned.
Much in the coming invasion hinges on psychological warfare efforts. Thousands of leaflets are being dropped on Iraqi soldiers, and the Iraqi airwaves are saturated with signals from US transmitters such as Commander Solo, which is supposed to persuade the Iraqis to surrender. Add to that the memory of the last war, which was a lopsided victory for coalition forces. Most of the killing will be done by coalition aircraft, which will mercilessly pound enemy formations and equipment, leaving the ground forces to mop up left-over resistance. The US commanders are flexible, so they will fight the enemy instead of the plan and focus their available combat power accordingly. My one major concern is the chemical weapons supposedly being staged by Republican Guard units south of Bagdhad.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Anyone think post war Bagdad is going to look like the west bank? With constant clashes between US troops and ‘protestors’?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, at least we're lucky enough to have the steller Czech Chemical Warfare Battalion with us. Seriously, they know a few things about "Soviet-inspired" (Read: Primitive and cheap) NBC threats.