Dennis Miller on Iraq

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Dennis Miller on Iraq

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Here's a few tidbits from Dennis Miller that we all should read and remember. (plus it's just downright funny)
By Dennis Miller
All the rhetoric on whether or not we should go to war against Iraq has got my insane little brain spinning like a roulette wheel. I enjoy reading opinions from both sides but I have detected a hint of confusion from some of you. As I was reading the paper recently, I was reminded of the best advice someone ever gave me. He told me about the kiss method ("keep it simple, stupid!) So, with this as a theme, I'd like to apply this theory for those who don't quite get it. My hope is that we can simplify things a bit and
recognize a few important facts. Here are 10 things to consider when voicing an opinion on this important issue:

1.) Out of President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy.

2.) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right thing keep this in mind, they have Libya heading the committee on human rights and Iraq
heading the global disarmament committee. Do your own math here.

3.) If you use Google search and type in "French military victories" and
click on "I'm feeling lucky", your reply will be "did you mean French military defeats?"

4.) If you're only anti-war slogan is "no war for oil," sue your school district for allowing you to slip through the cracks and robbing you of the education you deserve.

5.) Saddam and bin Laden will not seek United Nations approval before they
try to kill us.

6.) Despite common belief, Martin Sheen is not the president. He plays one
on TV.

7.) Even if you are anti-war, you are still an "infidel" and bin Laden wants you dead, too.

8.) If you believe in a "vast right-wing conspiracy" but not in the danger
that Hussein poses, quit hanging out with the Dell computer dude

9.) We are not trying to liberate them.

10.) Whether you are for military action or against it, our young men and women overseas are fighting for us to defend our right to speak out. We all need to support them without reservation.

I hope this helps.
So do I...
Last edited by Kelly Antilles on 2003-03-18 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

As usual, Dennis Miller has absolutely nothing of any substance to say. What a shame that he's turned into yet another patsy for the Bush administration.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Haha, that's awesome!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Re: Dennis Miller on Iraq

Post by Zoink »

So he's trying to cut the rhetoric? These guys whole careers are based on rhetoric:
Out of President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy.
Typical. Two choices, black/white, demo/republican, good/bad..... one can be very bad, the other not as bad.

If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right thing keep this in mind, they have Libya heading the committee on human rights and Iraq
Appeal to foolery
click on "I'm feeling lucky", your reply will be "did you mean French military defeats?"
This has no bearing on the validity of war with Iraq. At most this is an appeal to foolery again.

4.) If you're only anti-war slogan is "no war for oil," sue your school district for allowing you to slip through the cracks and robbing you of the education you deserve.
Appeal to foolery
try to kill us.
Neither would Pakistan, Iran, or Australia.

on TV.
OK? Appeal to authority? Mr Sheen opinion is less because he's *not* the president.

7.) Even if you are anti-war, you are still an "infidel" and bin Laden wants you dead, too.
Ok this statement is true.... this relates to Iraq how?

Appeal to foolery.

OK

10.) Whether you are for military action or against it, our young men and women overseas are fighting for us to defend our right to speak out. We all need to support them without reservation.
OK
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Durandal wrote:As usual, Dennis Miller has absolutely nothing of any substance to say. What a shame that he's turned into yet another patsy for the Bush administration.
Of course, ignore the VAST ideological differences on other issues between Miller and the Bush administration because he agrees with it on Iraq. Typical.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

1.) Out of President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy.
They're both bad guys, but Bush is the lesser of two evils.
2.) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right thing keep this in mind, they have Libya heading the committee on human rights and Iraq
And yet, the UN argues for human rights.
Kek. More mindless French bashing
Wow, he simply can't do the math

try to kill us.
And I guess this gives us the right to invade whenever we want? gg logic, nice knowing you
on TV.
Ya, I think we know this (my dad knew Emilio Estevez, he was my dad's baseball coach!)
No doubt. But I bet Miller thinks our gov't gives a shit about our pro-war types and troops (sending them to war for power grabs and all that)
Vympel on aisle five, rightwingshitstain CLEANUP!!
WHOA making sense now, are we? good work
We support them enough to know that they shouldn't be used as pawns in world leaders' chess games.
I hope this helps.
Your jokes are awkward and Charles Grodin verbally raped you on many occasions.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Jesus christ, The left has no sense of humor> :roll:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

theski wrote:Jesus christ, The left has no sense of humor> :roll:
silly, the left invented humor
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Zoink wrote:So he's trying to cut the rhetoric? These guys whole careers are based on rhetoric:
Out of President Bush and Saddam Hussein ... Hussein is the bad guy.
Typical. Two choices, black/white, demo/republican, good/bad..... one can be very bad, the other not as bad.
'

He's not saying Bush is a saint. Merely that people seem to forget Saddam is evil to bash Bush and/or the US.

Zoink wrote:
If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right thing keep this in mind, they have Libya heading the committee on human rights and Iraq
Appeal to foolery
No, an observation of why the UN doesn't work and probably never will.
Zoink wrote:
This has no bearing on the validity of war with Iraq. At most this is an appeal to foolery again.
Funny. But it also goes to show the french have no stomach for any sort of real fight.
Zoink wrote:
Appeal to foolery
No, pointing out there are other reason and slapping the idiots that are other reason than oil.
Zoink wrote:
try to kill us.
Neither would Pakistan, Iran, or Australia.
Yup. Even the French don't listen to the UN so why the hell should we at this point?
Zoink wrote:
on TV.
OK? Appeal to authority? Mr Sheen opinion is less because he's *not* the president.
He isn't and yet plenty of people treat him like his. :roll:
Zoink wrote:
Ok this statement is true.... this relates to Iraq how?
I'll agree, it's marginal at best.
Zoink wrote:
Appeal to foolery.
Pointing out the stupidity of screaming about Bush's flaws while Saddam wallows in his own evil crapulence.
Zoink wrote:
OK
I don't get that one either.
Zoink wrote:
OK
The point is our soldiers are over there and it might do well for you hippie assholes not to spit on them when they get back this time. They're prepared to give their lives for their country, show a little respect.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Hameru wrote:
Just like the Internet!

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Actually, last time i checked , Dennis Miller was on the left, and he's quite a funny bastard. Although it would be correct to say the infiltrators of the board from International A.N.S.W.E.R. or wherever it is they are from (hamerau et al) have no sense of humor.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

No, they just don't like any jokes made about them.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Durran Korr wrote:
Hameru wrote:
Just like the Internet!

:)
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Actually, last time i checked , Dennis Miller was on the left, and he's quite a funny bastard. Although it would be correct to say the infiltrators of the board from International A.N.S.W.E.R. or wherever it is they are from (hamerau et al) have no sense of humor.
nah, miller went rightwing long ago

nothing wrong with countering his buttocks
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

I am sure the style of humor the left has, "Al Franken" will go over well on the radio.. :roll:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Hameru wrote:nah, miller went rightwing long ago
No, he's a left leaning moderate. He's leaned to the right on some of the current issues but he's still solidly middle ground,
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

theski wrote:I am sure the style of humor the left has, "Al Franken" will go over well on the radio.. :roll:
you're right~ franken probably won't go the distance on radio

Since he won't be calling for the death of liberals I doubt he'll succeed
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

i love that picture of Gore btw. :lol:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Ya Know I have calling for the death of liberals for along time and I can't get a radio show :lol: The closest would have to be Glenn Beck out of Phily..
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Stormbringer wrote: He's not saying Bush is a saint. Merely that people seem to forget Saddam is evil to bash Bush and/or the US.
He said out of the two, Hussein is the bad guy. Therefore Bush can't be a badguy for this statement to be true.

No, an observation of why the UN doesn't work and probably never will.
"Appeal to Foolery": It says that someone/something/some idea is wrong because it has the appearance of being foolish. Instead of saying why anti-war arguments are wrong, he is trying to make them look foolish.

... because its foolish to have Libya head of human rights, I could counter that it's foolish for most countries (including the US) to head this position. Neither this statement, nor, Dennis' say anything. How about an analysis an how human right in the UN are actually implemented, and wether Libya's heading this position could possibly be deterimental to human rights.

Funny. But it also goes to show the french have no stomach for any sort of real fight.
No it doesn't, a google search doesn't prove anything. Nor, has he linked this point to the events in Iraq.

How about this:

WW1 Casualties:
France 1.3 million
U.S. 50,000

WW2 Casualties:
France 500,000
U.S. 300,000

No, pointing out there are other reason and slapping the idiots that are other reason than oil.
People that belief *this* are uneducated (fools) and are therefore wrong. Appeal to foolery. He doesn't say why they are wrong. If the reason is so obvious, I'm sure Mr. Miller could just tell us. But he *can't* because his entire arguments are based on rhetoric.

NOTE: I feel the same way about much of what that anti-war guy (from politically incorrect) has to say. They both base much of their argument on making things sound either foolish or reasonable, without actually making a real point.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

WW1 Casualties:
France 1.3 million
U.S. 50,000

WW2 Casualties:
France 500,000
U.S. 300,000
That doesn't prove that the French can fight. That just proves that they're good at 1) starting wars and 2) getting killed in great numbers.

Hameru, if you want your goddamn left-wing talk radio, turn on NP fucking R.

Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Durran Korr wrote: That doesn't prove that the French can fight. That just proves that they're good at 1) starting wars and 2) getting killed in great numbers.
The point I was making: Dennis Miller isn't making real points. I have no doubt that anyone here could add stuff, and turn an otherwise useless peace of comedy rhetoric into something debatable. What I intended was to provide some random data that ran counter to his rhetoric.

But on that, are we addressing "stomach to fight" or "ability to fight" ?
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

He's a fucking comedian. I expect something FUNNY from him, not serious ruminations on Iraq.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

He said out of the two, Hussein is the bad guy. Therefore Bush can't be a badguy for this statement to be true.
No, it simply means that Bush is better than Hussien. It's an "out of these two choice" not over all.
"Appeal to Foolery": It says that someone/something/some idea is wrong because it has the appearance of being foolish. Instead of saying why anti-war arguments are wrong, he is trying to make them look foolish.

... because its foolish to have Libya head of human rights, I could counter that it's foolish for most countries (including the US) to head this position. Neither this statement, nor, Dennis' say anything. How about an analysis an how human right in the UN are actually implemented, and wether Libya's heading this position could possibly be deterimental to human rights.
Given the UN has done jack shit to stop the numerous violations round the world (including Iraq) I'd say they're pretty damn ineffective. That's what happens when the absuers have a big say (or are in charge) of preventing that.
No it doesn't, a google search doesn't prove anything. Nor, has he linked this point to the events in Iraq.

How about this:

WW1 Casualties:
France 1.3 million
U.S. 50,000

WW2 Casualties:
France 500,000
U.S. 300,000
All that proves is the French know how to die. Frankly the French have proven time and again that unless some one forces them to fight they'd rather pick on tiny nations than fight a real war even for a good cause.
People that belief *this* are uneducated (fools) and are therefore wrong. Appeal to foolery. He doesn't say why they are wrong. If the reason is so obvious, I'm sure Mr. Miller could just tell us. But he *can't* because his entire arguments are based on rhetoric.
The oil arguement has so many holes in it that you'd be better off using it for a strainer. He phrased it that way to be humorous but it's obvious to anyone with open eyes.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Stormbringer wrote: No, it simply means that Bush is better than Hussien. It's an "out of these two choice" not over all.
"Out of these two choices" would be a false dilemna. Both Bush and Saddam could be bad, and we don't have to believe either. His point is completely meaningless.

The oil arguement has so many holes in it that you'd be better off using it for a strainer. He phrased it that way to be humorous but it's obvious to anyone with open eyes.
This may be true, but without pointing out the actual holes his argument is meaningless, that's my point. These guys are comedians, and they are funny if taken *only* as comedians. But, I am constantly told how Mr.Miller and Myer (?, the "liberal" version) are so convincing; how anyone would change opinions if *only* they heard his monologue.