Political Forum?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Should we add a Politics Forum?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 53

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Political Forum?

Post by Kelly Antilles »

With all that is happening in our world, it seems OT has been overly crowded with political debates. Perhaps we need to put politics in its own forum so that those of us who do not want to debate politics can find the non-political threads easier?
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Nah, keep it in Off-Topic.. that way everyone can talk about anything and everything and relate back all to something else in some funny way instead of just strictly politics.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Off Topic goes through its ups and downs in regard to the majority of posts, we certainly don;t need a sex forum yet sex related threads pop up all the time in OT. We're just going thropugh an understandably heavy politcal/war phase right now but it will swing back to anal any time now. :D
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Nah, it's just cause of the looming war, once this is over it'll calm down, nothing worth deticating entire forum to.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'll say yes. It's frustrating to see an interesting but sorta low-key political debate get pushed off the screen by God knows how many "1000th post!" or "How long is your schlong?" threads. I think Mike's biggest objection would be that the list of forums on the main page is getting too long. I'd sugest breaking them up into two directories: Sci-Fi (for SWvST, PSW, PST, and OSF) and The Real World, for SLAM and the new politics forum. Testing and Announcements would remain under Administrative, and of course the HOS would stay in the Sewer.

If there's enough votes for a politics forum, I could suggest a moderator *cough*.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Unnecessary. Off Topic and Science, Logic, And Morality have politics covered just fine. The recent surge of political postings won't last. At most we need a temporary forum for Iraq.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

I think so, Just being little more than 2 months around the board I can name at least 40 consistant posters under this topic umbrella.. A political forum would be great. :)
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

[jumps up and down in orgasmic delight] Hell yeah! i agree that too many good political argu...erm..debates get pushed down due to 'who would you fuck' threads.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Unnecessary. OT and SLaM can handle the political debates just fine (and seeing the way political arquments have been going in the last week HoS is usefull as well).
I don't see any real need for YET another forum for political debates.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

OT has been too cluttered for a while. If a thread doesn't get people posting in it constantly, it dies, which is frustrating because sometimes a good debate will go dormant for a day or so and be gone, where in most of the other forums a thread can stay quiet for a while and become reactivated later when someone comes up with something new to say.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Political Forum?

Post by Knife »

Kelly Antilles wrote:With all that is happening in our world, it seems OT has been overly crowded with political debates. Perhaps we need to put politics in its own forum so that those of us who do not want to debate politics can find the non-political threads easier?
Can't say. I am undecided at this point, both sides have good arguments for or against a Political Forum.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

It might be a good idea to create a temporary fourm specifically for the discussion of the third Iraq war. I suspect the discussions are going to grow both in terms of size and in terms of flamage as the conquest progresses.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Re: Political Forum?

Post by Next of Kin »

Kelly Antilles wrote:With all that is happening in our world, it seems OT has been overly crowded with political debates. Perhaps we need to put politics in its own forum so that those of us who do not want to debate politics can find the non-political threads easier?
Me likey! :)
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Well, the number of political debates will probably decrease later on, so I really don't think it would be necessary in the long run. Besides, it wouldn't be as active, so things would slow down.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

A temp forum would seem to stand within reason; a lot of people (like myself) that only check certain times of the day are likely to have to trudge through as many as six political threads a day, on the same topic, sometimes, in order to figure out what else is going on. And that is not to exclude the fact that there are OTHER political threads all over the place that bog down the other OT threads. I, for one, don't look into the political threads much, and would like to try to get to some of the topics that *might* hold some interest to me (this is, in fact, one of the major reasons why I don't post too much in OT anymore).
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Actually I think it might not be a bad idea. Certianly some political issues keep coming up again and again. I'd be in favor of it, especially if it meant we could lift a certain moritorium.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Well really the OT forum goes through it's phases... Just depends if we really really really need a dedicated political forum.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Crown wrote:Well really the OT forum goes through it's phases... Just depends if we really really really need a dedicated political forum.
Well, with or without the war, there is never a lack of political debate, so I'd say give it a shot.

Formerly verilon

Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

RedImperator wrote:I'd sugest breaking them up into two directories: Sci-Fi (for SWvST, PSW, PST, and OSF) and The Real World, for SLAM and the new politics forum.
Unfortunately the board software can't do that.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

My problem is making a ghost town over at off topic and clogging up the front page with forums. . It would be nice but I don't think that it is really necessary.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Enlightenment wrote:
RedImperator wrote:I'd sugest breaking them up into two directories: Sci-Fi (for SWvST, PSW, PST, and OSF) and The Real World, for SLAM and the new politics forum.
Unfortunately the board software can't do that.
That, and every forum would be more clogged than it already is!!

Formerly verilon

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

verilon wrote:
Crown wrote:Well really the OT forum goes through it's phases... Just depends if we really really really need a dedicated political forum.
Well, with or without the war, there is never a lack of political debate, so I'd say give it a shot.
Well I am certainly not against it, just I remember that it has it's peaks and troughs is all. Hey wouldn't bother me either way. :wink: :P :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Crown wrote:Well I am certainly not against it, just I remember that it has it's peaks and troughs is all. Hey wouldn't bother me either way. :wink: :P :D
Every forum does. ;)

Formerly verilon

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

ArmorPierce wrote:My problem is making a ghost town over at off topic and clogging up the front page with forums. . It would be nice but I don't think that it is really necessary.
It would hardly make OT a ghost town. OT could draw more traffic than all of the rest of the forums with anal sex threads alone. The cluttering would be a more serious issue, but I think the board could handle it.
X-Ray Blues
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Nah, it'll calm down in a few weeks.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton