The NSW gov't comes to it's senses on one matter.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

The NSW gov't comes to it's senses on one matter.

Post by weemadando »

ABC News wrote:Chaser case dropped

The APEC-related case against members of ABC TV's The Chaser's War on Everything has been dropped.

Eleven people associated with the popular program were arrested last September for breaching an APEC restricted zone without justification.

As part of a comedy sketch, they drove a fake motorcade through Sydney's CBD.

The stunt was only uncovered when the convoy stopped and Chaser team member Chas Licciardello climbed out dressed as Osama bin Laden.

Lawyers for the ABC have welcomed today's decision, but say they are yet to be told why the case has been dropped.

"What was undeniably the greatest moment in political satire last year, which the ABC has always been very proud of, has been found to be just that - great political satire," Kim Dalton, director of ABC TV, said.

The stunt won the Chaser team Best Television Moment at the MTV Australia Awards in Sydney overnight.
For those who didn't catch it the first time:

The original thread on this
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Why drop it? Because for those guys, there's just no bad publicity. Even pricks turn into arseholes after death didn't hurt them that much :D
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Perhaps I should have gone with the thread title:

"Australia drops charges against Osama Bin Laden."

Probably would have gotten a better reaction.
Walsh
Padawan Learner

Post by Walsh »

Yeah, any punishment would have just pissed a lot of people off.
tim31 wrote:Why drop it? Because for those guys, there's just no bad publicity. Even pricks turn into arseholes after death didn't hurt them that much :D
Pricks turn into top blokes.

It's a funny situation, the Chaser boys are pretty much immune to anything the media can throw at them, since they know they will get it thrown right back in their faces.
"I'd love to take part in a political debate with Americans where anybody who tries to bring up the Founding Fathers gets an electric shock to the nuts." - Darth Wong.

"If you are looking in the bible for a guide to living a compassionate and wise and humane life, well then frankly you've got more chance of finding a lap-dancing club in Mecca, or a virgin in a catholic orphanage" - Pat Condell
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Expect right wing shitheads to start complaining in 3,2,1....

And today tonight to start bitching as well pretty soon.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Twoyboy
Jedi Knight

Post by Twoyboy »

mr friendly guy wrote:Expect right wing shitheads to start complaining in 3,2,1....

And today tonight to start bitching as well pretty soon.
And a fantastic Anna Coren segue! It's a pity we get our own version of TT here in WA, I'd like to see what the Chaser boys are up against.

I can see why the charges were dropped, continuing media coverage of the case makes some government cronies look stupider and stupider for the woeful security set up. I think everyone knows what they're guilty of, but this is purely an arse covering exercise.

On another note, I saw their live show a couple of weeks ago. T'was excellent. Can't remember if I posted about it or not.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
-Winston Churchhill

I think a part of my sanity has been lost throughout this whole experience. And some of my foreskin - My cheating work colleague at it again
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

I agree with Twoyboy. The police department would have found it humiliating enough the first go round; all the cops would have been dreading getting up in that witness box and explaining why they waved Osama Bin Laden through their checkpoint.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I thought they dropped this shit ages ago.

I wish the Chaser's were back, though. Anyone else catch them on Newstopia?
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

No, but I saw Newstopia in your sig?
Walsh wrote:Pricks turn into top blokes.
Dammit, it's just not my day for this sort of thing!
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage