Bill Richardson Turns Down Commerce Secretary Nomination

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Bill Richardson Turns Down Commerce Secretary Nomination

Post by Noble Ire »

CNN
(CNN) -- New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is withdrawing his nomination to be commerce secretary, citing the distraction of a federal investigation into ties to a company that has done business with his state.
Gov. Bill Richardson said a probe focused on him would delay work toward bettering the economy.

Gov. Bill Richardson said a probe focused on him would delay work toward bettering the economy.

Two Democratic officials told CNN the investigation involves a California company that won municipal bond business in New Mexico after contributing money to various Richardson causes.

In a statement Sunday, Richardson said he asked Obama "not to move forward" with his nomination now.

"I do so with great sorrow. But a pending investigation of a company that has done business with New Mexico state government promises to extend for several weeks or, perhaps, even months," the statement reads. "Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact. But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process. Video Watch why Richardson bowed out »

"Given the gravity of the economic situation the nation is facing, I could not in good conscience ask the President-elect and his Administration to delay for one day the important work that needs to be done." iReport.com: Share your reaction to Richardson's withdrawal

Richardson, one of the best-known Hispanics in the Democratic Party, served as energy secretary in the Clinton administration as well as ambassador to the United Nations. The 61-year-old said he will remain governor.

Obama released a statement saying that he accepted the withdrawal with "deep regret."

"Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama's statement read.

"It is a measure of his willingness to put the nation first that he has removed himself as a candidate for the Cabinet in order to avoid any delay in filling this important economic post at this critical time.

"Although we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision, I look forward to his future service to our country and in my administration."

Two Democratic strategists outside Obama's transition team told CNN that Obama aides pushed the withdrawal because they did not want an ethical distraction in the wake of controversy surrounding embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Federal prosecutors allege that Blagojevich, a Democrat, had hoped to barter Obama's Senate seat for either money or influence.

One of the Democratic strategists described Richardson as "stunned." But Democrats who talked with CNN noted the withdrawal is in keeping with the Obama philosophy of resolving issues quickly.

When Obama announced on December 3 that Richardson was his pick for commerce secretary, Obama hailed the New Mexico governor as a "leading economic diplomat for America."

Obama said then: "I know that Bill will be an unyielding advocate for American business and American jobs, at home and around the world. And I look forward to working with him in the years ahead."

Richardson was the third former presidential rival to join Obama's team. Vice President-elect Joe Biden and Sen. Hillary Clinton, Obama's pick for secretary of state, also competed for the Democratic presidential nomination.
advertisement

Richardson also was a contender for the secretary of state post.

Richardson withdrew from the race for the Democratic presidential nomination on January 10, 2008, after a poor showing in the New Hampshire primary, and later endorsed Obama. Obama and Clinton both lobbied Richardson for his endorsement.
I'm rather disappointed about this. I still think that Richardson would have made a fine Secretary of State, or president for that matter; its a shame that Obama's administration won't have him. Still, I have to wonder if there's more to worry about from this investigation than a simple "delay". Certainly, another scandal close to the White House wouldn't do much good for the incoming administration.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Bill Richardson Turns Down Commerce Secretary Nomination

Post by Phantasee »

I think Richardson is just doing his part to help Obama out by not bringing the monkey on his back into the White House. Gotta keep those carpets clean, probably cost a fortune to clean them up after "Chimpus Caesar"'s administration.
XXXI
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Phantasee wrote:I think Richardson is just doing his part to help Obama out by not bringing the monkey on his back into the White House. Gotta keep those carpets clean, probably cost a fortune to clean them up after "Chimpus Caesar"'s administration.
Or, you know, he doesn't want to be commerce secretary during the greatest recession/depression in 50 years.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Or is setting himself up to be something bigger in two to four years. Historically, most cabinate positions are not held by the same person through an entire Presidential term, let alone two.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Knife wrote:Or is setting himself up to be something bigger in two to four years. Historically, most cabinate positions are not held by the same person through an entire Presidential term, let alone two.
Like the Secretary of Defense? What's the possibility of Gates stepping down mid-term and then Richardson coming in to replace him?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well unless Richardson actually did something wrong this is unfortunate. He'd have been a good man to have along. He was one of my favorites for Vice President, and then he didn't even get Secretary of State (for which he was surely more qualified than Clinton). And now this.

It is my hope that he is cleared of any wrong doing, and that when Gates or someone else steps down, Richardson gets a chance to help Obama serve his country.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

General Zod wrote:
Knife wrote:Or is setting himself up to be something bigger in two to four years. Historically, most cabinate positions are not held by the same person through an entire Presidential term, let alone two.
Like the Secretary of Defense? What's the possibility of Gates stepping down mid-term
Fairly high, I would think.
and then Richardson coming in to replace him?

I don't see Richardson, and I like the guy, being tapped for Sec Def. Is totally outside the guys area of expertise.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

I think Richardson's feet were simply too big for the shoes of Secretary of Commerce. It's a pity Obama decided against nominating him one of the big positions, I think he's a great guy who could have done a lot of good.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Adrian Laguna wrote:I think Richardson's feet were simply too big for the shoes of Secretary of Commerce. It's a pity Obama decided against nominating him one of the big positions, I think he's a great guy who could have done a lot of good.
The higher cabinet positions for which he was a natural choice were probably State and Interior, and those were reserved for political hedging, but I don't think that this was the cause of his withdrawal. The Obama administration has shown itself to be very concerned with going into its first term cleanly, and Richardson is under investigation for pay-to-play right now, so he has to go.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

With the Blagojevitch crap hanging over their heads, they're probably all being over-cautious. Understandable, if unfortunate, I rather like Bill Richardson.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Maybe Richardson just has some health problems or personal matters to deal with?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Pelranius wrote:Maybe Richardson just has some health problems or personal matters to deal with?
Why would he need to cover up health problems or personal matters with the excuse of an embarrassing investigation? That makes no sense at all.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

If anything, it would be the other way around: "resigning to spend time with my family", uh-huh, we all know that one.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!