ISIS destroys Mar Elian

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: ISIS destroys Mar Elian

Post by Purple »

cmdrjones wrote:This I would agree with more if Muslim immigrants were fighting in appreciable numbers in western armies AGAINST ISIS
Just because they ain't on the field does not mean they ain't fighting. Every time you pay taxes to your country as opposed to performing terror bombings against it you contribute.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Purple wrote:
cmdrjones wrote:This I would agree with more if Muslim immigrants were fighting in appreciable numbers in western armies AGAINST ISIS
Just because they ain't on the field does not mean they ain't fighting. Every time you pay taxes to your country as opposed to performing terror bombings against it you contribute.

I agree that taxes to a state fighting ISIS is contributing to the fight in an tangential way, but writing a check is definitely NOT fighting. In comparison.... don't you think that's just a tad feeble in comparison to what the Islamic State is doing in the name of Islam?

Most Christians don't take their religion very seriously either, but sheesh!!

OTOH, if you could show evidence that all the stories of western Muslims flocking to fight FOR ISIS are overblown then, maybe.

I do also note that SOME Sunni Kurds have returned home to fight against ISIS, but the vast majority of western Muslims? Crickets.....
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

cmdrjones wrote:I agree that taxes to a state fighting ISIS is contributing to the fight in an tangential way, but writing a check is definitely NOT fighting. In comparison.... don't you think that's just a tad feeble in comparison to what the Islamic State is doing in the name of Islam?
Paying your taxes AND NOT BECOMING A RADICAL TERRORIST. Don't forget that part.
OTOH, if you could show evidence that all the stories of western Muslims flocking to fight FOR ISIS are overblown then, maybe.
It took what, 9 or so? guys to orchestrate the deadliest foreign instigated terror attack in american history. America alone has something like 30 million Muslims. Say 1% of those turned radical. Just 1%.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Purple is making sense and I am agreeing with him. Soon, The Four Horsemen shall ride...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

cmdrjones wrote:I am not feigning ignorance, but thanks for asking, I'm TRYING a simplified form of a Socratic question and answer thing. I think enough of us are AWARE that there is SOME difference between Muslims and Buddhists... it is as if many can't quite put their fingers on it.... huh, wierd.
Look into the history of Tibet. Buddhists are just as capable of being bloodthirsty and religious killers as anyone else.
When Americans (to be fair about 70% of them) flip out and go on wars of revenge we are failures as Christians. When Muslims do the same they are succeeding as Muslims.
>cough< Not all Americans are Christians. Thanks for forgetting about the rest of us.
Purple wrote:It took what, 9 or so? guys to orchestrate the deadliest foreign instigated terror attack in american history. America alone has something like 30 million Muslims. Say 1% of those turned radical. Just 1%.
More like 16 or 17, most of whom were Saudi, all of whom had come to the US from abroad on student visas. So far as I know, no American Muslims were involved in 9/11. In fact, they were pretty pissed off about it, too.

Consider that the folks who move out of the Middle East to other places and live there permanently are generally the ones who are NOT interested in continuing the endless wars over patches of dessert and the occasional oasis. I've met a lot of immigrants from the Middle East who were relieved/happy to be away from all the fighting.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Purple wrote:It took what, 9 or so? guys to orchestrate the deadliest foreign instigated terror attack in american history. America alone has something like 30 million Muslims. Say 1% of those turned radical. Just 1%.
You're overestimating numbers by an order of magnitude, but 1% of 3 million would still be pretty bad.

~~~~~

@Broomstick: I think Jonesey was making a clumsy reference to the fact that roughly 70% of the people in the USA identify as Christian, not trying to deny the existence of the rest of us.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

In regard to the number yea, I made a miscalculation. It's just a back of the envelope style calculation based of Wikipedia.
According to this page america has 321605012 people. I rounded that to 322000000. According to the same page Muslims make up 0.9% of the population. I went 322000000 / 100 * 9 instead of 0.9. Completely my bad.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

cmdrjones wrote:
Purple wrote:

I agree that taxes to a state fighting ISIS is contributing to the fight in an tangential way, but writing a check is definitely NOT fighting. In comparison.... don't you think that's just a tad feeble in comparison to what the Islamic State is doing in the name of Islam?

Most Christians don't take their religion very seriously either, but sheesh!!

I do also note that SOME Sunni Kurds have returned home to fight against ISIS, but the vast majority of western Muslims? Crickets.....

I'm an enviromentalist. If a person in Australia claiming the term enviromentalist blockaded a uranium mine, would I be obligated to go over there to oppose the blockade? NOPE, becuase it is literally nothing to do with me. A Daesh fighter being pricks in the levent does not impose any duties on a middle aged engineering professor in Edinburgh just because they both use the word Islam.

There may be other routes to obligation, but that one is too tenuous.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Broomstick wrote:
cmdrjones wrote:I am not feigning ignorance, but thanks for asking, I'm TRYING a simplified form of a Socratic question and answer thing. I think enough of us are AWARE that there is SOME difference between Muslims and Buddhists... it is as if many can't quite put their fingers on it.... huh, wierd.
Look into the history of Tibet. Buddhists are just as capable of being bloodthirsty and religious killers as anyone else.

back then, yes, but now? not so much, what kind of leap did they make that Muslims (some of them, reference the Book Heretic by ms Ali) have yet to complete?
More like 16 or 17, most of whom were Saudi, all of whom had come to the US from abroad on student visas. So far as I know, no American Muslims were involved in 9/11. In fact, they were pretty pissed off about it, too.

Consider that the folks who move out of the Middle East to other places and live there permanently are generally the ones who are NOT interested in continuing the endless wars over patches of dessert and the occasional oasis. I've met a lot of immigrants from the Middle East who were relieved/happy to be away from all the fighting.
I've met two African Muslims and Two middle eastern Muslims in US forces (plus a couple of Western converts) and ttey run the gamut in quality like everyone else (excluding O9L's, or the Afghans I mentioned in another thread) They do fantastic work, but considering the scale of what's going on, to me, at this point, they constitute the exceptions that prove the rule.... Unless things turn around dramatically that is.

I propose a test: If the European powers, who are genrally much more welcoming and sensitive to Islamic culture than the US, are able to field significant numbers of Islamic troops vs people LIKE ISIS, then i'll happily concede.

I'm an enviromentalist. If a person in Australia claiming the term enviromentalist blockaded a uranium mine, would I be obligated to go over there to oppose the blockade? NOPE, becuase it is literally nothing to do with me. A Daesh fighter being pricks in the levent does not impose any duties on a middle aged engineering professor in Edinburgh just because they both use the word Islam.

There may be other routes to obligation, but that one is too tenuous.
Well, environmentalism isn't, even in theory, enforced or inspired by a supreme being
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Gaia is displeased with jones.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

madd0ct0r wrote:Gaia is displeased with jones.
Now now, Gaia worship =/= environmentalism... do you need a venn diagram? :P
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Who said anything about worship? You just requested a system that is enforced by a supreme being.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

madd0ct0r wrote:Gaia is displeased with jones.
May he soon enjoy the traditional greek punishment for those who dishonour the great mother.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

cmdrjones wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
back then, yes, but now? not so much, what kind of leap did they make that Muslims (some of them, reference the Book Heretic by ms Ali) have yet to complete?
They were taken over by China.
cmdrjones wrote:I propose a test: If the European powers, who are genrally much more welcoming and sensitive to Islamic culture than the US, are able to field significant numbers of Islamic troops vs people LIKE ISIS, then i'll happily concede.
I question your premise that Europe is "generally much more welcoming and sensitive to Islamic culture than the US". Please support that premise.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

madd0ct0r wrote:Who said anything about worship? You just requested a system that is enforced by a supreme being.

the earth's ecology is a supreme being? :lol:

Broomstick: Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_ ... ted_States

.9% of 300 million is less than 3 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Europe

19 million in the EU.... out of what 400 million people?

How much anti-islam hysteria do you find in the US vs Europe?
I find it to be pretty prevalent here, despite having a much lower absolute and % of muslims here.

Thanas: If I am even half right, Tartarus might be an improvement in a generation or two
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

cmdrjones wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Who said anything about worship? You just requested a system that is enforced by a supreme being.

the earth's ecology is a supreme being? :lol:

Meh, that's the subject for another thread. but yes.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

cmdrjones wrote:Broomstick: Really?

You're basing how welcoming the US is vs. Europe based solely on numbers/population percentage? My goodness, geographical proximity to the Muslim heartland couldn't possibly be a factor! :roll:
I find it to be pretty prevalent here, despite having a much lower absolute and % of muslims here.
Maybe we live in different parts of the US, I find more anti-black bias than anti-Muslim in my area.

Which is just dueling opinions. How about you provide some actual stats?

cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Broomstick wrote:

You're basing how welcoming the US is vs. Europe based solely on numbers/population percentage? My goodness, geographical proximity to the Muslim heartland couldn't possibly be a factor! :roll:
Maybe we live in different parts of the US, I find more anti-black bias than anti-Muslim in my area.

then through observation and logic we can conclude that Europe should show MORE hostility to ISlam considering their proximity and shared history, yes?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

No, asshat, it doesn't work that way. People and societies are not equations. It's not just about proximity.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

cmdrjones wrote:
Broomstick wrote:

then through observation and logic we can conclude that Europe should show MORE hostility to ISlam considering their proximity and shared history, yes?
and by that logic the Brits and Germans must truly truly hate each other...
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

madd0ct0r wrote: and by that logic the Brits and Germans must truly truly hate each other...
have you not SEEN Blackadder?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

... The comedy show set a century ago? Yes, clearly this is an accurate portrayal of modern international relationships.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb