Douchebag tricks his girlfriend into taking abortion pills

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Douchebag tricks his girlfriend into taking abortion pil

Post by Broomstick »

Jub wrote:He has no control over the child being born or not, for obvious reasons, but shouldn't he be allowed some say in things given that both parties had equal responsibility before they had sex?
A man has no say in whether or not a pregnancy continues because he does not, and will never, bear any of the physical risks of pregnancy. As the risk is entirely the woman's only the woman has a say in it.

If a man can't handle that concept he shouldn't have sexual intercourse with fertile women.

Although if by some medical miracle a man ever did become pregnant whether or not to continue to pregnancy would be his choice, but I can only assume such a state of affairs would never happen by accident.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:This argument is going in circles; what I find most disturbing in this case is the guy being charged with fucking murder. Seriously? The woman was six weeks gone, I'm pretty sure the threshold for abortion is a lot later than that. Yes he committed crimes, but seriously, does that justify a murder charge? :banghead:
First, she wasn't "six weeks gone", she was six weeks pregnant. No need for euphemisms.

While I am in agreement with the notion that a six week old fetus is not the equivalent of a fully developed human being there are jurisdictions where a wanted fetus dying is treated like a full person dying because, outside of what caused the death, that fetus would have been a full human being in less than a year. Oh, and nutty right to life sorts who are trying to use fetal homicide as a back door to outlawing abortion. Oddly enough, it's an area where pro-life and pro-choice overlap: no woman should ever be forced to terminate a wanted pregnancy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Broomstick wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:This argument is going in circles; what I find most disturbing in this case is the guy being charged with fucking murder. Seriously? The woman was six weeks gone, I'm pretty sure the threshold for abortion is a lot later than that. Yes he committed crimes, but seriously, does that justify a murder charge? :banghead:
First, she wasn't "six weeks gone", she was six weeks pregnant. No need for euphemisms.

While I am in agreement with the notion that a six week old fetus is not the equivalent of a fully developed human being there are jurisdictions where a wanted fetus dying is treated like a full person dying because, outside of what caused the death, that fetus would have been a full human being in less than a year. Oh, and nutty right to life sorts who are trying to use fetal homicide as a back door to outlawing abortion. Oddly enough, it's an area where pro-life and pro-choice overlap: no woman should ever be forced to terminate a wanted pregnancy.
Agreed, it's the whole "would have been" part that these sorts use for justification that abortion=murder. I'd like to see if the murder charge actually sticks, especially given that this is taking place in Florida. This also reminds me of another case a few years ago where a doctor tried to slip abortion-inducing drugs into his pregnant mistress' drinks to induce a miscarriage:
Link
Though in this case, he failed and was charged with poisoning.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Whenever guys cry about how unfair the current system is, I can only laugh in misery at how they almost immediately then suggest a system where one party who caused a pregnancy is stuck having to go through either childbirth or abortion, and the other gets to walk away consequence free. Oh yeah, that's soooooo fair. :roll:

Seriously, if she decides to abort, which can carry many risks, the cost to the man is.... zero, ignoring the cost of the abortion, which either, or even neither parent could end up paying.

If she decides to carry the child to term, the cost to the man is the same as the woman, minus the nine months of restricted diet, nausea, back pain, cramps and the flurry of agonizing contractions at the end.

In either scenario the woman has to go through more than the man, but because she can choose which unpleasant scenario she goes through you get all the MRA's shrieking about what a raw deal they're getting.
Broomstick wrote:Oddly enough, it's an area where pro-life and pro-choice overlap: no woman should ever be forced to terminate a wanted pregnancy.
It's funny how I constantly see pro-life advocates attacking the character of pregnant women seeking abortion but I've never heard a peep from them about these men seeking to end paternal child support who are becoming disturbingly large in number. Shouldn't they be outraged by the idea of a man encouraging a woman to seek an abortion by refusing financial support? The man can't even use bodily integrity as a justification, so shouldn't such people be the pro-life movements number 1 target for shaming? I'd say it further suggests that a large part of the pro-life movement is fueled more by misogyny than concern for unborn babies.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Jub wrote: I never said you did. Where did I ever say that the man should be able to force her to have an abortion? I'm just saying that if she can choose to end things, he should have an option that leaves him just as free to walk away.
Oh, trust me, men do this. Just ask my sister's ex-husband, who has 8kids by 6 different women and is no longer able to return to California as he would be immediately arrested for 21yrs of back Child Support. You can run away as much as you like, as he proves. You're just a douchbag for doing so.

A man can refuse to sign Paternity Papers if he doesn't want the Child. He can fight any Child Support payments in Court. He has Options, other than poisoning the mom and risking her life to get rid of the fetus.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The Grim Squeaker wrote: Except... 1. If the condom rips. 2. If she's taking the pill (and it fails to work). 3. If she says she's taking a pill, and lies about it...
How many times has this happened to you, Death? At what point do your own trust issues justify this kind of action?

I know it's a big thread full of people astonished by stupidity, but if 'wah what if the bad girl lies and puts an end to my fear of consequences, can I poison her then' is a reasonable contribution, there's some pretty big problems.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Broomstick wrote:Although if by some medical miracle a man ever did become pregnant whether or not to continue to pregnancy would be his choice, but I can only assume such a state of affairs would never happen by accident.
I missed this before. Even if a man becoming pregnant with the assistance of technology precludes accidental pregnancy, there are still circumstances where the man's choice could come into play where it can have a negative impact on the other parent. The embryo could split into twins, or it might be discovered that the fetus will be born with Down syndrome or some other issue that will increase the burden of parenting. The logic is basically the same.

"I signed on for some orgasms, not a kid. Abort it or I walk." vs. "I signed on to conceive one kid, not two. Abort one of them or I walk." etc.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Broomstick wrote:
Jub wrote:It was just as much her fault as his, but he's the only one without a say in that situation. The same thing arises when he wants the kid and she refuses to carry it to term.
Child, I want you to learn one thing from this thread: biology is not fair.
That statement is incoherent. Biology is why the onus is on the woman to physically support the unborn child, if she chooses to keep it. It is law, not biology, that creates the onus on the man to financially support the unborn child, if his partner chooses to keep it.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Dread Not wrote:Whenever guys cry about how unfair the current system is, I can only laugh in misery at how they almost immediately then suggest a system where one party who caused a pregnancy is stuck having to go through either childbirth or abortion, and the other gets to walk away consequence free. Oh yeah, that's soooooo fair. :roll:

Seriously, if she decides to abort, which can carry many risks, the cost to the man is.... zero, ignoring the cost of the abortion, which either, or even neither parent could end up paying.
I recall one guy whining about how he have to pay for his girlfriend's abortion a few years back. People (the male parry really)treating abortion as an easy avenue to absolve themselves from their responsibility is one of the few main arguments used by the anti-abortion crowd. It will be sad if this incident just further reinforce the views of people on abortion.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Grumman wrote: That statement is incoherent. Biology is why the onus is on the woman to physically support the unborn child, if she chooses to keep it. It is law, not biology, that creates the onus on the man to financially support the unborn child, if his partner chooses to keep it.
What if the bad man lies and flees the scene after agreeing? I'm reliably informed that possibly dishonesty is a big player in these descisons.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Regarding birth control, the sooner RISUG becomes available, the better. It's long past time that a viable male contraceptive was invented.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Jub wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Jub wrote:I'm saying that the law should allow for an out in the case where a man demonstrates that he did what he could to prevent things
Except he didn't really, did he? He still had sex.
So did she, yet she gets a choice in the matter?
How about this: when women have an absolute parity in terms of pay and social rights, and there is a zero rate of sexual assault, the law will be changed? Then everything will be fair.

Until then, shut your pie hole about how terribly inconvenient it is for you to part with some money due to the consequences of your actions because it only makes you look like a whiny man-child.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood fgalkin. You can thank me later.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

We don't need to dog pile Jub when he isn't online people.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
InfiniteFlowers
Redshirt

Post by InfiniteFlowers »

LadyTevar wrote:
Jub wrote: A man can refuse to sign Paternity Papers if he doesn't want the Child. He can fight any Child Support payments in Court. He has Options, other than poisoning the mom and risking her life to get rid of the fetus.
It seems a bit melodramatic to call it "poisoning". The woman was given a prescription medication that did exactly what it was designed to do, ie to kill human tissue that law says isn't a human being yet. At worst its assault, not attempted murder.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

fgalkin wrote:
Jub wrote:I'm saying that the law should allow for an out in the case where a man demonstrates that he did what he could to prevent things
How about this: when women have an absolute parity in terms of pay and social rights, and there is a zero rate of sexual assault, the law will be changed? Then everything will be fair.

Until then, shut your pie hole about how terribly inconvenient it is for you to part with some money due to the consequences of your actions because it only makes you look like a whiny man-child.
-fgalkin
That's your argument? Really?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

It's one the appropriate level for the idiot to understand. Anything else would just confuse him.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:When men push to get custody, odds are they will get custody. If they push, between 2/3 and 70% of the time they will get it.

So you're right, it isn't 50/50, but in the opposite way than MRAs would try to have you believe.
Seeing as you seem to have looked into this, could you post some sources confirming it. If it's true it obviously changes things by a huge amount.

-----
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:But that isn't what happens. We let men get back into children's lives even if they're felony rapists in prisons. Men have enormous power in the current system, far more than women do. The system has continuously and absurdly supported the absolute right of the sire to intrude on the lives of the children he incidentally created and then vanished on. This is how systematically the current law is stacked against women, not men. That's right, it's stacked against women, not against men. Women are still not allowed control over the fate of their own children even when the sire is a rapist and the system essentially regards the father as having a right to come back years, decades later and intrude themselves on a normal home and family situation. You've got the problems all reversed.

The only way that child support would start to become unfair was if women had an absolute right to refuse custody and visitation and parentage to men. In short: If only the mother was recorded on the birth certificate and she had the right to determine what men were involved in the life of her children and to what degree. If women had that right, THEN child support should be removed. But until then, child support is a necessary weregild on deadbeats who nonetheless retain enormous rights to change their mind and intrude upon a home situation and destroy it by the exercise of those rights years or decades after abandonment.

Note, women have no choice in this matter. You're required to put a man on the birth certificate and he, unless parentage can then be assigned to another male (to whom all the rights would then transfer), has the right to intervene in the lives of the children essentially indefinitely. This is the way the world works against women, forcing them to indefinitely associate with sires of children. You have no choice in the matter, no matter how bad that man is for your child and no matter how little you want him around. So the fact that he has no choice about paying child support is, for the moment, a system in balance after countless centuries of male dominance. Termination is irrelevant to fairness because to men and women both have burdens that cannot be avoided from pregnancy. One would argue that the woman's burden remains much, much greater than some trivial weregild, indeed, I can demonstrate that child support rarely even begins to cover the cost of raising a child on a woman, so that her share of the burden remains larger.

If you want to get out of child support, then a woman should, likewise, be able to exclude you from any kind of right of contact, association, acknowledged parentage, or anything whatsoever, with a child. As it is right now, men are buying those rates for a very cheap rate indeed when it comes to child support and that isn't particularly pretty.
That shit with a rapist is dumb and nobody should support that. The same goes for forcing a women to carry the product of rape to term, or making it hard for her to give that child up for adoption. These things are obviously bullshit and should be stopped.

An absentee father coming back into the picture is a bit more tricky than a rapist wanting to get involved. People make mistakes and can honestly want to have a positive impact in their children's lives. Assuming that his child support was payed, or he has made good on his back payments, there should be provisions in place for him being allowed to visit. It's a messed up situation, but why should be deny him the chance to try and make things better?

Now depending on the age of the children I support them telling him to piss off and refusing to see him. I also support this working the other way, if a mom that has ran off wants to come back years later and try and make things better.

That said, I think that we need to look at these meetings carefully and assess harm. If it's hurting the children and/or the family they are part of it should cease. What counts as harm is something I can't even begin to start defining.

Assuming the man legitimately wants to make amends can you seriously say that it is hurting the woman's rights to allow him a chance to do so?

-----
Broomstick wrote:
Jub wrote:He has no control over the child being born or not, for obvious reasons, but shouldn't he be allowed some say in things given that both parties had equal responsibility before they had sex?
A man has no say in whether or not a pregnancy continues because he does not, and will never, bear any of the physical risks of pregnancy. As the risk is entirely the woman's only the woman has a say in it.

If a man can't handle that concept he shouldn't have sexual intercourse with fertile women.

Although if by some medical miracle a man ever did become pregnant whether or not to continue to pregnancy would be his choice, but I can only assume such a state of affairs would never happen by accident.
Going down the path of artificial wombs, what is a man wants to keep the child and is willing to carry it to term. Is it infringing on her rights, to the degree that we allow her to terminate the pregnancy, to tell her to either carry the fetus to term or allow it to be transferred to the man?

This has more relevance than ever now with artificial womb transplants being possible.

-----
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Broomstick wrote:

Agreed, it's the whole "would have been" part that these sorts use for justification that abortion=murder. I'd like to see if the murder charge actually sticks, especially given that this is taking place in Florida. This also reminds me of another case a few years ago where a doctor tried to slip abortion-inducing drugs into his pregnant mistress' drinks to induce a miscarriage:
Link
Though in this case, he failed and was charged with poisoning.
I don't want a murder charge to stick precisely because of how it could impact pregnant women. In a place with better laws I would support it, but I fear what prolife groups could do with this precedent.

-----

To the rest, most of you haven't added anything new and I can only respond to so much. If you think I've missed something feel free to send me a civil PM and I'll respond to it publicly if so desired. My goal isn't to piss anybody off even if my points are contentious.
Last edited by D.Turtle on 2013-05-20 01:39pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Deleted the extra posts - D.Turtle
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Jub wrote:Seeing as you seem to have looked into this, could you post some sources confirming it. If it's true it obviously changes things by a huge amount.
There was a study that, while I admit I've never read directly, is cited in a few areas, including this one. That one includes other studies I hadn't seen and spreads out the range by including some that involve joint custody, but in every case men have the advantage.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

fgalkin wrote:It's one the appropriate level for the idiot to understand. Anything else would just confuse him.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Excellent whataboutism, comrade. Incidentally, it's also a form of tu quoque, and it's rather embarrassing to see a mod of a rational debate forum use fallacious arguments as if valid.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Jub wrote:Going down the path of artificial wombs, what is a man wants to keep the child and is willing to carry it to term. Is it infringing on her rights, to the degree that we allow her to terminate the pregnancy, to tell her to either carry the fetus to term or allow it to be transferred to the man?
Who ever carries the child to term makes the decision as to whether or not the pregnancy goes forward. So far, throughout history, that has always been a woman. If that changes, then a man who takes the risks of pregnancy gets to make the go/no-go decisions about that pregnancy.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Broomstick wrote:
Jub wrote:Going down the path of artificial wombs, what is a man wants to keep the child and is willing to carry it to term. Is it infringing on her rights, to the degree that we allow her to terminate the pregnancy, to tell her to either carry the fetus to term or allow it to be transferred to the man?
Who ever carries the child to term makes the decision as to whether or not the pregnancy goes forward. So far, throughout history, that has always been a woman. If that changes, then a man who takes the risks of pregnancy gets to make the go/no-go decisions about that pregnancy.
Not what I meant. Say a men gets a woman pregnant and she wants to abort, but the man has the ability to carry the child to term in his own implanted womb. Assume that the ability exists to safely transfer the fetus. What should be done in this case?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Jub wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Not what I meant. Say a men gets a woman pregnant and she wants to abort, but the man has the ability to carry the child to term in his own implanted womb. Assume that the ability exists to safely transfer the fetus. What should be done in this case?
Whatever the woman wants, dumbass. She still has to undergo the procedure to transfer the fetus.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Does anyone know how the law works if the women wants to have the child, but doesn't want to keep it? Does the father get first dibs in custody of the child? If he does, can he force child support payments from her?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

blahface wrote:Does anyone know how the law works if the women wants to have the child, but doesn't want to keep it? Does the father get first dibs in custody of the child? If he does, can he force child support payments from her?
Yes and yes.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:
Jub wrote:Seeing as you seem to have looked into this, could you post some sources confirming it. If it's true it obviously changes things by a huge amount.
There was a study that, while I admit I've never read directly, is cited in a few areas, including this one. That one includes other studies I hadn't seen and spreads out the range by including some that involve joint custody, but in every case men have the advantage.
Doing some brief reading it seems that most of this bias is due to the man being better informed and more able to afford council. I would also suspect that financial well being of the child is a major consideration in custody cases and as the higher earner that will tend to favor the male party.

Does this actually mean that there is a conscious bias towards men? I'm not sure, we don't see how cases where the woman is the higher earner with better access to legal resources go. I would suspect that she might be just as well off and if so that is a flaw of the courts, not the law.