What if Bush wasn't the president?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Darth Wong wrote:It is a slippery slope nonetheless. Canada has had extremely strict gun regulation for decades, with no confiscation anywhere in sight. And the fact that some extremists on the other side think something does not mean that it will actually happen. NRA extremists such as Shep think that private individuals should be able to own fucking rocket launchers.
Nevertheless, the precedent exists. That Canada hasn't taken registration to the next level is admirable. Three American cities have, after (in New York's case) explicitly promising that they would never use registration lists for confiscation. The most vocal advocates for registration happen to be the most vocal advocates for gun prohibition. It is, as I said, perfectly possible to have registration, to have very strict gun control, without outlawing the private ownership of a single type of gun, but I think we have a very good reason not to trust the good intentions of the American gun control movement.
You and Shep have gone from "closing the gun show loophole" to "gun registration" to "total gun confiscation". Perhaps you will mention the Nazis next? I find it's usually only a dozen posts or so before someone does.
I was addressing Stormbinger's point, "Why shouldn't all gun sales be documented". Later I moved on to the specific topic of the gun show loophole.

If anyone else wants to mention the Nazis, they can feel free.
You are conjoining the notion of rejecting a slippery slope fallacy and blindly trusting gun-control advocates to have complete unfettered control of national policy and not abuse it. That is yet another fallacy. Is there some allergy to basic logic which is universal to the anti-registration people? If you want to find a problem with registration, fine. I think there are legitimate arguments to be made, but NOT when you resort to the stupidity of the slippery slope. Is that the ONLY thing you can find wrong with the scheme? Is your imagination that limited?
I should have strengthened my argument in my initial post. As I said in my reply to Stormbringer, if you could prove registration would reduce crime rates or make crimes easier to solve, then registration would make sense in spite of the risk of abuse, and also in spite of the costs of either creating a new bureaucracy to administer it or expanding the missions of existing agencies. But the majority of gun crime in this country--and everywhere else, for that matter--is committed with illegally owned weapons. Gun registration, like car registration, could make it easier to track down stolen firearms, but it's much easier to conceal and transport a stolen gun than a stolen car, and the majority of stolen cars are never tracked down, either. This isn't a matter of trading liberty for secutiry--it's trading liberty for the illusion of security.

Part of the fear about registration, the one that leads to the slippery slope argument (besides precedent), is the widespread knowledge that once a right is lost, it generally never comes back (the only example I can think of a major right being taken away and then given back is the right to drink alcohol, and it took more than a decade of what amounted to nationwide civil disobedience and gang warfare to do it). It's not a matter of "gun control advocates having complete unfettered control over national policy". It's knowing that one maniac shooting up a McDonald's could prompt a hysterical public and opportunistic legislators to outlaw private ownership (which is precisely what happened in England and Australia). It's more likely than not that it will never be legal to own a firearm in England ever again (save for liscensed collectors and sport shooters).
No, it would only make it illegal to sell certain types of products without a government license. Do not engage in yet another slippery slope.
It's outlawing the selling of a certain type of private property without a liscense. That's restricting property rights. You might think it's justified, the same way it's justified that I'm not allowed to open a whorehouse in my garage, but nevertheless, it is a restriction. I never argued anything more than that. In case it's not been made clear in some of my other posts on this board, I'm not inclined to favor property rights restrictions without a good reason, and I don't feel that closing the gun show loophole constitutes a good reason.

(Note that I'm not aruging that one ought to be able to be a gun dealer without a liscense, just in case that was the impression.)
At any rate, using Federal legislation to close this "loophole" is equivilant to using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito. Most sellers are liscensed, and most shows are kicking out the unliscensed sellers, and most crimes are committed with illegal handguns anyway.
Then it won't make a difference, will it? So what's the big deal?
See my first reply to Stormbringer. The gun shows are doing it for insurance reasons. It's perfectly within their rights to do so, just like it would be within their rights to toss out the unliscensed sellers to protect the sales of the liscensed sellers, because they want a cut of all revenue and they can't track unliscensed gun sales, or because they don't like the color of the unliscensed sellers' socks. There's a difference between the shows banning unliscensed sales and the government doing it--the former are exercising their rights, the latter is restricting others'.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Stormbringer wrote:If that's the case elect representative you trust but don't give in to mindless NRA propoganda. All guns laws don't automatically end up with your guns gone and government jackboots at your throats.
I never argued that. I specifically argued against registration, in my initial post and in my replies to you and Darth Wong.
A guns a far deadlier weapon and you know it. Why is it wrong for the government to regulate something as deadly as a fire arms.
Again, I never said that. What I said was that registration would provide no benefits significant enough to justify a restriction on civil liberties. You have yet to prove otherwise--if you did, I might be persuaded to see things your way.
Why is it different? And what's the problem with the government closing a legal loophole? It doesn't take away your guns merely ensure that they're less likely to turn up in the hands of criminals.

The 2nd amendmant doesn't say the government can't regulate guns. Only that citizens are allowed to one them.
It's different because it's within the rights of the shows to restrict unwanted activity that takes place under their aegis. I even, in my reply to Darth Wong, suggested other reasons why they might want to do it. It is NOT within the rights of the government to restrict the property rights of private citizens who wish to sell firearms unless it has justification, and I don't believe that it does.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Damn, I miss all the good threads.

In any case, if McCain got elected President, woke up a libertarian the next morning and managed to cut the size of the federal government by two-thirds, I still would not forgive him for the class warfare rhetoric he slung around during the debates, no matter how mild it was.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Nazis.

<runs away quickly>
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Durran Korr wrote:Damn, I miss all the good threads.

In any case, if McCain got elected President, woke up a libertarian the next morning and managed to cut the size of the federal government by two-thirds, I still would not forgive him for the class warfare rhetoric he slung around during the debates, no matter how mild it was.
Oh come now. If he cut the Federal Budget by 2/3rds, I'd Lewinski the guy and so would you. That would be utterly beyond our wildest fantasies. <dreams dorky libertarian dreams about the Laffer Curve and converting the IRS's headquarters into luxury condominiums>.
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

RedImperator wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:Damn, I miss all the good threads.

Oh come now. If he cut the Federal Budget by 2/3rds, I'd Lewinski the guy and so would you. That would be utterly beyond our wildest fantasies. <dreams dorky libertarian dreams about the Laffer Curve and converting the IRS's headquarters into luxury condominiums>.

Hmmm...OK. 5/8ths.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.