Military Coup in Turkey underway.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Military Coup in Turkey underway.

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sounds like the tanks and Cobra gunships have decided to start fighting something for real now, apparently the intelligence headquarters, which might as well be ISIL's HQ in Turkey, and the presidential palace and parliament building all have fighting. And possibly other sites and in Istanbul as well. Bloodless coup is fail, lets fucking hope the navy doesn't get in on this and lead to someone sinking a cruiser liner by mistake.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Sounds like the tanks and Cobra gunships have decided to start fighting something for real now, apparently the intelligence headquarters, which might as well be ISIL's HQ in Turkey, and the presidential palace and parliament building all have fighting. And possibly other sites and in Istanbul as well. Bloodless coup is fail, lets fucking hope the navy doesn't get in on this and lead to someone sinking a cruiser liner by mistake.
From someone who's knowledge of Turkish politics is limited, what are the chances that the worst happens and this becomes a full-scale civil war/extension of the Syrian Civil War (only this time within a NATO member)?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The result will not be pretty if Erdogan wins
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

ray245 wrote:The result will not be pretty if Erdogan wins
Going in the coup's favour is that Erdogan has accrued so much power under his own authority, that while he's not in the country his underlings can't function very well.

The coup leaders timed this perfectly for when Erdogan is on his holidays.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

On the other hand, that means that even if the coup wins, Erdogan likely escapes from them and can find sanctuary in some other country.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:1st Army commanding officer rejects the coup. May be why the tanks are withdrawing from Ataturk Airport.
If they're withdrawing from Ataturk Airport in Istanbul then that's the most likely re-entry point for Erdogan... In a city where he is hated the most. Trap maybe?
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I wouldn't chalk this up to superior guile on the part of the coup conspirators; there was a power shuffle due to occur in the coming weeks and they simply seized on their final remaining chance. They are not acting from a position of strength.

EDIT: army helicopters have been sighted firing on Ankara police HQ.
Last edited by TithonusSyndrome on 2016-07-15 07:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:On the other hand, that means that even if the coup wins, Erdogan likely escapes from them and can find sanctuary in some other country.
Germany has already refused to take him in I think?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

NTV is reporting that 17 officers have been killed at special forces training HQ, and apparently a coup-affiliated helicopter has been shot down by an F-16: https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/754089104455897088
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm got a sneaking suspicion that it's gone tits up. Gunships strafing police stations, and tanks shots booming around parliament sounds less of a coup and more the birthing sounds of a bouncing baby civil war. I hope for the sake of both continents that my pridictive abilities continue to be shockingly poor.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Dartzap wrote:I'm got a sneaking suspicion that it's gone tits up. Gunships strafing police stations, and tanks shots booming around parliament sounds less of a coup and more the birthing sounds of a bouncing baby civil war. I hope for the sake of both continents that my pridictive abilities continue to be shockingly poor.
It does sound like the coup flopped, but I suppose the question is whether it ends in civil war or a bunch of executions. It sounds like it is leaning more towards the latter, but I'm not exactly qualified to comment.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Honorius
Youngling

Post by Honorius »

Coup has failed. The Parliament and People have rejected it and citizens and police forces are now moving to arrest soldiers involved. Already Protesters and Police have routed the coup soldiers and are confiscating their vehicles.

Democracy has won.

I also note people here still engage in baseless conspiracy mongering on Erdogan who has not instituted one Sharia Law in Turkey and has been expanding the rights of Minorities and moving to grant citizenship to Syrian Refugees in light of an endless war in Syria. The AKP explicitly states in its charter that it is a secular party that keeps equal distance from all religions and Erdogan has slapped down evey attempt by a minority in his party to have Sharia Law and has even expelled some of them.

These coup soldiers are straight out terrorists like the last coup groups and will be treated as terrorists and thrown in prison to rot with the previous coup leaders.

But anyways go back to your Erdogan Conspiracies while Erdogan restores rule of law and democracy and prepares for the next election cycle where the people, not the military will decide if he goes or stays.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Edrogan is calling the coup leaders "FETO members". FETO is what Turkey's Government calls the Hizmet Movement lead by Fetullah Gulen, a Muslim cleric who has been in exile in the US since the 1990s. Despite this, some have called Gulen the "second most-powerful person" in Turkey, with many military, police, and civilians alike agreeing with his ideals. Edrogan has blamed him and Hizmet for inciting investigations into alleged corruption among Edrogan's followers. The two parties have also clashed over peace talks with the Kurds.

As of 2014, the BBC reports Gulen to be in failing health.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Honorius wrote:Coup has failed. The Parliament and People have rejected it and citizens and police forces are now moving to arrest soldiers involved. Already Protesters and Police have routed the coup soldiers and are confiscating their vehicles.

Democracy has won.
Can you provide a link to this, Honorius? BBC and CNN both are silent on that. Where are you getting this information?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

LadyTevar wrote:
Honorius wrote:Coup has failed. The Parliament and People have rejected it and citizens and police forces are now moving to arrest soldiers involved. Already Protesters and Police have routed the coup soldiers and are confiscating their vehicles.

Democracy has won.
Can you provide a link to this, Honorius? BBC and CNN both are silent on that. Where are you getting this information?
Judging by the tone of his post, his source is somewhere between his sphincter and intestine.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:

Democracy has won.
Judging by the tone of his post, his source is somewhere between his sphincter and intestine.
Read his statement, it sounds like a statement, normal Humans don't write like that only PR people and people making fun of PR people write like that.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

LadyTevar wrote:Edrogan is calling the coup leaders "FETO members". FETO is what Turkey's Government calls the Hizmet Movement lead by Fetullah Gulen, a Muslim cleric who has been in exile in the US since the 1990s. Despite this, some have called Gulen the "second most-powerful person" in Turkey, with many military, police, and civilians alike agreeing with his ideals. Edrogan has blamed him and Hizmet for inciting investigations into alleged corruption among Edrogan's followers. The two parties have also clashed over peace talks with the Kurds.

As of 2014, the BBC reports Gulen to be in failing health.
So... Gulen is Erdogan's Snowball?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I hope Turkey doesn't allow secularism to be further undermined.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Mr Bean wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: Can you provide a link to this, Honorius? BBC and CNN both are silent on that. Where are you getting this information?
Read his statement, it sounds like a statement, normal Humans don't write like that only PR people and people making fun of PR people write like that.
That's what all of his posts look like.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Claims of the coup failing allegedly come from the Istanbul governor.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160716/ ... essed.html

At this point unless journalists on the ground see it, it's just news outlets repeating what some politician said.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Yes, at this point the coup attempt is clearly still ongoing, and anyone who says otherwise (on either side) is just Baghdad Bobbing.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Or maybe it is mostly over, the airport at least has resumed flights:
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has flown in to Istanbul, after an army group said it took over the country.

However, the whereabouts of the military chief of staff remains unknown and sporadic gunfire is still reported in major cities.

Istanbul's main Ataturk airport is now under army control, and flights - which had been interrupted for some hours - are due to resume from 06:00 (03:00 GMT).
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36809083

Too bad, the history of the Republic of Turkey and Kemalism is fascinating and it's sad to see Erdogan (who wants desperately to be the Turkish Putin, but isn't a tenth as clever) throw it away.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Or maybe it is mostly over, the airport at least has resumed flights:

<snip>

Too bad, the history of the Republic of Turkey and Kemalism is fascinating and it's sad to see Erdogan (who wants desperately to be the Turkish Putin, but isn't a tenth as clever) throw it away.
If he's landed and walking around un-hindered, then yeah the coup failed. As I said earlier; we might hate Erdogan but he was fairly elected.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Crown wrote:
If he's landed and walking around un-hindered, then yeah the coup failed. As I said earlier; we might hate Erdogan but he was fairly elected.
So was Boris Yeltsin. If the people wish to back a leader who will erode democracy and secularism, then they only have themselves to blame if they end up facing any problems years down the line.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Crown wrote: If he's landed and walking around un-hindered, then yeah the coup failed. As I said earlier; we might hate Erdogan but he was fairly elected.
Fairly is a stretch given his control over the media.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.