National Air Cargo Boeing 747 Crashes Shortly After Takeoff

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: National Air Cargo Boeing 747 Crashes Shortly After Take

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The only way to know for sure what the plane was carrying is to see footage of the actual wreckage- if nothing else it would be interesting to see how badly damaged the vehicles inside actually ended up.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm sure the military equivalent of the NTSB is pouring over the wreckage and data even as we speak.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:The only way to know for sure what the plane was carrying is to see footage of the actual wreckage- if nothing else it would be interesting to see how badly damaged the vehicles inside actually ended up.
It was full of jet fuel for intercontinental travel. I wouldn't be surprised if all that remains from plane and its cargo are melted turbines and pool of burnt metal...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I expect the black boxes will have survived as well, which will be most informative.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Broomstick wrote:I'm sure the military equivalent of the NTSB is pouring over the wreckage and data even as we speak.
Sounds like the NTSB itself is already on the way, if they aren't there by now.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Hawkwings wrote:Loading in cargo through the side door diagonally is hardly dangerous or time-consuming. How do you think every non-747 freighter does it?
The same way the 747 normally does it. Load at a 90 degree angle, then turn inside. Instead of actually going through the door at an angle as would be required here. I've never seen cargo handling gear that could even mate up to the plane like that.
I realize this is quite a bit late, but:

Looks like standard practice is to put the MRAPs on pallets, and turn them at the door. It's MATVs getting offloaded, rather than onloaded, but should illustrate it fairly well.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan