Schumer: Close Loophole Allowing Possible Terrorists To Buy

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Schumer: Close Loophole Allowing Possible Terrorists To

Post by Alyeska »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Alyeska wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:I remember that as well but I suspect it was more a case of Mike's boy sharing the same name as the person on the no-fly list, not being the actual person. It's been a very long time, though, indeed.
The No Fly List isn't about specific people. If someone else with the same name is on the list, YOU are on the list. If someone else's name is spelled similar to yours, YOU are on the list.
Why do I get the feeling that that was done with the intent of getting as many people with Muslims on the list as possible?
It is just plain incompetence. Someone used an alias "T. Kennedy". Guess what happened.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Aug19.html

It only took a US Senator three weeks to get his name removed. Someone with actual power and authority. And there was still three weeks of bureaucratic inertia.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder how much damage a terrorist group could do if they tried to get everyone on the no-fly list.
Simon_Jester wrote:It would serve the federal government right if the numerous people on the list unfairly succeeded in a class-action suit against the government from wrongfully denying them a fairly basic right to travel... I doubt that's made or is making any progress.
Lawsuits have happened. So far the results are all against the no-fly list.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Simon_Jester wrote:The problem is that while they may 'work' in the sense of denying specific individuals the right to fly, they also deny a huge and ill-defined number of other people that same right without due process of law.

This is the grounds for the class-action suit: the arbitrary denial of something that normal citizens enjoy.
It also interferes with the airlines.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Crown wrote:
LaCroix wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Every time No-Fly lists are challenged the government claims they are working.
People on the no-fly list are not permitted to fly. Works like a charm. The bar isn't really that high if you want to claim they are working if you choose to not let other facts cloud your reasoning.
I'm just going to throw this out there; but IIRC the son of the owner of this board is/was on a no-fly list ... at age 10 ...

Now bear in mind, this is going back a long, long time and my memory could be off, but I remember Mike having a rant about it at one point. I wouldn't quote this as fact though unless I can dig up the post.
Here it is:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=104592