Proof that Helmets work!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Vympel wrote:LOL

I agree wholeheartedly.
it's funny, in the later years of the war the Germans realized that the spike suck out above the trenches and were getting shot off easily, many times injuring the head/neck of the soldier in the trench. the solution? unscrewable spikes! god forbid they get rid of the ridiculous thing altogether! the pic is actually one of those later models.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Col. Crackpot wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.
the pic is actually one of those later models.
Actually no, the pic shows the M-1871 model.
The M-15 with removable spike featured decoration made out of steel painted fieldgrey, not brass.

The fact that they were made out of leather was a much bigger drawback, absolutely no protection.

M-16 and variants are politically incorrect now but they still look cool.
Supermod
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

EmperorMing wrote:
Emperor Chrostas the Crue wrote: Besides, the new kevlar helmets are MUCH more comfortable to sit on. :lol:
Depends on which side you used. It was more comfortable for me to use it upside down...
He said 'sit on', not 'shit in'!

:D
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

That guy is pretty damn lucky. Hope he makes it to the end, he can get job in commericals for Kevlar, who ever the hell makes it? ( Dupont?)
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:That guy is pretty damn lucky. Hope he makes it to the end, he can get job in commericals for Kevlar, who ever the hell makes it? ( Dupont?)
I belive thats correct
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

the Kaiser helments are an old western european tradition. They go all the way back to Roman helmets which had the brishes on top, similar to the Greek helment. But they didnt always have brushes, they could be removed and a ball or spike could be screwed into the socket. Sometimes they also used fake brushes made of metal.

Eventually I guess the brush fell out of style among the germans (but not the french) and you get the Kaiser spike.

Heres a link to a pic of the traditional french helments and hats: http://www.medieval-weaponry.com/media/ ... elmets.jpg

Note: German Kaiser comes from Iulius Caesars name, theyre both pronounced the same as well (if you stick to Latin pron. of Julius' name). Yet another tradition. :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

C is the French helment, BTW.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I agree wholeheartedly.
I do too. I'd hate to throw one of those in the air at graduation.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Warspite wrote:That guy has used up all his luck!
Am I the only one reminded of that scene in Saving Private Ryan where that Ranger (Marine?) gets hit in the head, takes off his helmet to reveal that the bullet has only grazed it, and is then shot in the head? :?:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.
I do too. I'd hate to throw one of those in the air at graduation.
:roll: normally people don't wear military helmets at university.
Supermod
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

3rd Impact wrote:
Warspite wrote:That guy has used up all his luck!
Am I the only one reminded of that scene in Saving Private Ryan where that Ranger (Marine?) gets hit in the head, takes off his helmet to reveal that the bullet has only grazed it, and is then shot in the head? :?:
I was thinking the same thing, but I figured someone had already posted it and I just had skipped over it in my sifting through the thread. ::Shrugs:: That was a good shot, though. Brilliant. Almost as brilliant as when Tom Hanks starts dragging the wounded soldier to safety, only to have the body he was dragging blown to little marine smitherines (cool word) by a mortar shell. :D Irony, sweet irony.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Hehe, yes...I thought of that part with the wounded marine too...But going back to the main topic, how did the Iraqis manage to hit the Marine four times in the head, but not once in the body? (Or was he hit in the body, but that wasn't mentioned?) :?:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

I wanna know how they missed that big honkin' nose...
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.