BANNED ARSENAL FOUND!!!!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Guys they found a chemical weapons factory in the town of Nasjaref or one of thoise small towns on teh road to Iraq. The inspectors had been there only a month or two ago and missed the 100 acre facility. Fox news broke the story about an hour ago. Yep, those inspectors are real sharp, those 100 acre facilties sure blend into the background.

Well, the trickle begin and soon the flood and I GAURANTEE we will not hear a word from the pro-inspector folks and the ones who said we were overreacting about WMD. :roll:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:
Even if no WMDs are found, it would be possible to find other reasons to justify the invasion.
There's not a question about that, since the resolution which allowed Desert Storm also called for restoring peace and stability to the region.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Because it's the one more worthy of an invasion. Saddam's threat to our security comes primarly from his alleged possession of WMD, which he can use on others or conveniently pass to a terrorist third party.
No offense, but that's a very short-sighted stance. We should only go after him if he's a direct threat to us? Bullshit, I call.

Let me put it this way: If you were walking down the street and saw a thug beating the crap out of some old man, would you just walk on by and ignore it?

Saddam broke the rules. That's a definitive fact. Arguing over WHICH rules he broke is just a red herring nitpick.
The Great and Malignant
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

You have to wonder why it was the british who found this. My suspicions are that if America was aware of that place, they told the brits "Look, just send your guys here, we promise", that way, now one could claim that the American's planted the stuff, as it was not found by them (you know SOMEONE woudl start claiming that).

I have to think that the troops were pretty fucking pissed when they discovered that their own countryment were arming their enemy though.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

The discovery of an operational nuclear ICBM with coordinates for the US programmed into its guidance system within Iraq would not be enough to convince those who oppose this war to change their minds. They would say, "Well, he was only going to launch it if the US attacked, SO YOU'VE ONLY YOUR WARMONGERING SELVES TO BLAME!!!!"

As my father once told me, "The world will never run out of idiots."
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Stravo wrote:Guys they found a chemical weapons factory in the town of Nasjaref
No, they found a chemical plant that even the Pentagon is refusing to call a chemical weapons factory at this point.

From Reuters: Asked to comment on the reports, a Central Command official said in an e-mail: "While media reports are premature, we are looking into sites of interest."

It might very well be a chemical weapons plant but you're leaping to a conclusion on the basis of very little hard evidence.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

jegs2 wrote:The discovery of an operational nuclear ICBM with coordinates for the US programmed into its guidance system within Iraq would not be enough to convince those who oppose this war to change their minds.
That's not a good argument. If the presense of an ICBM is grounds for an invasion, why are you wasting your time with Iraq when the Chinese, Russians, and these days probably also the French will have ICBMs pre-programmed with the coordinates of US targets?
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Enlightenment wrote:
jegs2 wrote:The discovery of an operational nuclear ICBM with coordinates for the US programmed into its guidance system within Iraq would not be enough to convince those who oppose this war to change their minds.
That's not a good argument. If the presense of an ICBM is grounds for an invasion, why are you wasting your time with Iraq when the Chinese, Russians, and these days probably also the French will have ICBMs pre-programmed with the coordinates of US targets?
You demonstrate my point nicely.
Last edited by jegs2 on 2003-03-23 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Enlightenment wrote:
Because they are under stable governments not forbidden by the United Nations to possess Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles? Nice attempt at a red herring, though.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

The Dark wrote:Because they are under stable governments
Saddam Hussain's Iraq is one of the most politically stable governments in the world. He's been dictator for how long, now?
not forbidden by the United Nations to possess Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles?
Point.
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Enlightenment wrote:
The Dark wrote:Because they are under stable governments
Saddam Hussain's Iraq is one of the most politically stable governments in the world. He's been dictator for how long, now?
About 24-25 years now.

I think Castro has the most politically stable government in the world, 44 years now.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

stability is also depended on how willing the country is to make unprovoked war on a country and how inhuman the war gets. Saddams invaded Kuwait and attacked Iran. Thats unstable when it comes to peaceful relations. It also SCUDed Israel in its war on Kuwait.