Malaysia Airlines 777 missing en route to beijing

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Malaysia Airlines 777 missing en route to beijing

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm not too sure a sail would float spread out like that, but it could be all kinds of other stuff. Still if a fuel tank didn't flood at once I see no reason why it need flood quickly either, two weeks isn't that long for say, wave action to damage it. Major pieces of airliner wing have floated in past crashes, such as TWA Flight 800. Usually they float upright though, rather then flat, but then usually planes don't crash with the fuel tanks completely empty either. All preforations in the tank have some kind of valve, so it could be a empty, sealed tank if we assume the plane flew until fuel exhaustion.

In the last couple hours though one of the Chinese planes has apparently (leaks only so far) reported finding two 'large' objects and a number of smaller ones in a several kilometer wide debris field. No information to indicate if these could be linked to the original objects found by satellite, which were said to be 14km apart at the time, or the later objects noticed by the French and Chinese in the past two days. The damn gyre effect of course makes it entirely possible to the point of likely of finding groups of dissimilar and wholly unrelated objects.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Could be a day or so to get the one lone search ship to the debris field though.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A sail was a purely random example, you're right that it probably wouldn't actually float. I was floundering a bit.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Simon_Jester wrote:A sail was a purely random example, you're right that it probably wouldn't actually float. I was floundering a bit.
I see what you did there. :wink:

Anyhow, now the Australians report they found some objects, and it's possible the RAN ship in the area can retrieve them in a few hours.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Ok. Press conference by Malaysian pm in ten minutes. They must have already confirmed it or the pm truly is unforgivably foolish to call a unscheduled press conference to say nothing new.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Or they could be calling off the search. I wouldn't put it past them.

Edit - Families of passengers told to assume that none of the passengers on board survived.

That's a lot fucking worse.
Last edited by Borgholio on 2014-03-24 09:59am, edited 1 time in total.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Borgholio wrote:Or they could be calling off the search. I wouldn't put it past them.
Then he would announce it tomorrow at the regular press conference, if that were the case. My 2c.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Well that was...unfulfilling. Based of vague allusions to Inmarsat data and the UK AAIB...
I do know how to spell
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

According to Spiegel, the theories regarding terrorists are complete nonsense. Summarizing the article:
- both Taliban and Al-quida apparently have declared through intermediaries that they definitely had nothing to do with this.
- The chinese secret service found no ties to extremists among its citizens
- the co-pilot and pilot did not ask to work together, nor are there any ties or evidence tieing them to extremists
- the pilot's ties to opposition politics were overblown by the media without any shred of evidence
- the iranians were going to Germany to work here. The mother of one of them was waiting in Frankfurt for them.

Interview with a Pilot
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thanas wrote:According to Spiegel, both Taliban and Al-quida apparently have declared through intermediaries that they definitely had nothing to do with this.
If they were responsible, wouldn't they have taken responsibility immediately? Staying silent when they've done something bad isn't their usual MO.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

No, terrorists do not always immediately send out a press release.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a depressurization accident but given the dearth of information there are still other possibilities.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

An unfortunate announcement:
Malaysia's prime minister has announced that missing flight MH370 crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.

Najib Razak said this was the conclusion of fresh analysis of satellite data tracking the flight.

Malaysia Airlines had told the families of the 239 people on board, he said.

The BBC has seen a text message sent to families by the airline saying it had to be assumed "beyond reasonable doubt" that the plane was lost and there were no survivors.

There were 227 passengers on flight MH370, many of them Chinese.

Relatives of those on board who watched the announcement at a Beijing hotel wept with grief, and some were taken away on stretchers by medical teams.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26716572
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

barnest2 wrote:An unfortunate announcement:
Malaysia's prime minister has announced that missing flight MH370 crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.

Najib Razak said this was the conclusion of fresh analysis of satellite data tracking the flight.

Malaysia Airlines had told the families of the 239 people on board, he said.

The BBC has seen a text message sent to families by the airline saying it had to be assumed "beyond reasonable doubt" that the plane was lost and there were no survivors.

There were 227 passengers on flight MH370, many of them Chinese.

Relatives of those on board who watched the announcement at a Beijing hotel wept with grief, and some were taken away on stretchers by medical teams.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26716572
As if anyone believed another fate was possible.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Anyone rational, perhaps. But until they find a tailfin with a MAS emblem on it people will continue doubting this analysis based off some sort of untested methods presumably about to patented by inmarsat.
I do know how to spell
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

AniThyng wrote:Anyone rational, perhaps. But until they find a tailfin with a MAS emblem on it people will continue doubting this analysis based off some sort of untested methods presumably about to patented by inmarsat.
Turns out that, because of the conditioning of fear and compliance created by the CCP, Chinese people were incredibly distrustful of all things government. Who knew? :lol:
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Borgholio wrote:
Thanas wrote:According to Spiegel, both Taliban and Al-quida apparently have declared through intermediaries that they definitely had nothing to do with this.
If they were responsible, wouldn't they have taken responsibility immediately? Staying silent when they've done something bad isn't their usual MO.
No, because having a standard press officer is a good way asking for that guy to be droned/tortured.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

AniThyng wrote:Anyone rational, perhaps. But until they find a tailfin with a MAS emblem on it people will continue doubting this analysis based off some sort of untested methods presumably about to patented by inmarsat.
The method in question is the doppler shift analysis I suggested might be useful some time ago. It is nothing new or untested as far as satellite communications go, constellations of military satellites exist to do nothing else but geolocate targets based on that, its just very difficult to do when you only had a single antenna pickup the signal and were not attempting to record the data for that purpose. So they can't have much go on, and likely cannot nail down the location by much, just that the plane was not on the northern route that was also possible based on the range and antenna angle.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Borgholio wrote:
Al Qeada has so many loosely linked subgroups, two of which are actually at war with each other in Syria, that concluding anything about the organization is almost pointless. We WISH it were one big group, life would be easier if it was.

In any case many hijackings in the past have involved very small groups of terrorist which came out of nowhere, and it is hardly impossible that such a group might have used all its members to take a plane, whom are all now dead. While no specific evidence exists of a hijacking, the evidence we do have is if anything stacked against mechanical fault. Because we know the plane still worked as a flying machine long after the initial event. Able not just to fly straight and level but to change course, turn and climb multiple times.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

I just remembered when Russian submarine Kursk sank the torpedo explosions and later impact on a seabed was detected by Cold War era undersea microphone network designed to track Russian submarines. I don't know if similar system is in Indian ocean, but if there were could it have detected moment when plane hit the ocean?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

What I wonder is why nobody has sent an attack sub or two to the area. Surely their hydrophones are sensitive enough to listen for the black box pingers.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Nations usually don't advertise the locations of their attack subs. There may well be a bunch of them in the area, but if they find something it will probably be relayed to a corresponding national ship to investigate further.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Borgholio wrote:What I wonder is why nobody has sent an attack sub or two to the area. Surely their hydrophones are sensitive enough to listen for the black box pingers.
The sea is too deep.
Kreia
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Borgholio wrote:What I wonder is why nobody has sent an attack sub or two to the area. Surely their hydrophones are sensitive enough to listen for the black box pingers.
The sea is too deep.
The subs don't have to dive that deep, just run silent and listen.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Borgholio wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
The sea is too deep.
The subs don't have to dive that deep, just run silent and listen.
It's possible they're busy doing other stuff and can't be diverted right now.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's also possible there are subs there but none of the owning nations wish to disclose the exact locations of those subs.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I have heard that people are deploying what sounds like a device that listens to the pings from boats. Basically let it submerge by itself and then presumably gets pulled up by the boat. So there most probably isn't a need to divert subs for this.

That being said given how long its taken since the plane went missing, if a nation was inclined to send a sub, surely we wouldn't necessarily think it was diverted from close by giving the number of days it could have been travelling to reach the area.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.