Israel Annexes West Bank

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Israel Annexes West Bank

Post by Darth Yan »

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/israel/i ... ium=social

And of course it’s just going to get worse
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Israel Annexes West Bank

Post by LadyTevar »

Well... Fuck.

What can be done about it?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Not like officially, Darth Yan's link is about a policy change from febuary where a Netanyanu appointee takes control of parts of the west bank instead of the Israeli military.
In November 2022, Israel’s far-right factions won a parliamentary majority. Soon after, they amended the Basic Law of the government, which acts in some ways like a constitution, to allow the government to appoint a special new minister within the Ministry of Defense. In February 2023, Israel’s ultranationalist coalition government agreed on what the new minister would do: assume certain civil authorities over life in the West Bank, which had previously been the exclusive purview of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). This administrative change equates to declaring Israeli sovereignty over the West Bank, a violation of the UN Charter’s prohibition against territorial conquest. Three leading Israeli civil and human rights organizations have insisted that the bureaucratic shift amounts to the de jure annexation of the West Bank. The transfer shatters the illusion that Israel’s occupation of the West Bank is temporary; it further entrenches an unequal, two-tiered legal system for Israelis and Palestinians; and it solidifies permanent Israeli control over the West Bank.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

This is mostly on the US for spending so many years forcing feeding military aid and unconditionally support in the UN which has enabled Israel's disgusting policies.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Careful how you word things in this thread. IvP arguments are still being watched carefully.

So, the question will be is having the West Bank no longer under Military Control better than having an Appointee in charge?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Depends very much on the appointee. Frankly, my opinion is that some of the current right-wing in the Israeli government are worse than the hardliners in the military but I'm not an expert in Israeli matters. There is no debate, however, that Israel's current government is the most right-wing even.

The following links are provided as information only and I will not be debating what is in the links. I will allow the readers to draw their own conclusions but urge them to consider Tev's warning. Perhaps we could do this by posting links without extensive debate on them so that people can be informed and draw their own conclusions?

Here is a link from the US on how this may affect Israeli-Palestinian relations

The current Minister of National Security in Israel is this guy

Bezalel Smotrich has a post in the Ministry of Defense that will have authority over policy related to Israeli settlements.

To answer Tev's question: no, under these circumstances I think the Palestinians would be better off if no changes had been made, even if the IDF had a shit-ton of problems in regards to their oversight. There's bad, and then there's worse.

Frankly, I think that says all I would contribute to this thread anyway.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-06-11 03:42pmThe current Minister of National Security in Israel is this guy

Bezalel Smotrich has a post in the Ministry of Defense that will have authority over policy related to Israeli settlements.
Well... shit.

To save everyone else a couple of clicks, it seems they're both very much of the "It's about time us Jews had a turn committing the ethnic cleansing for once," faction within Israeli politics.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »