Trump/Republican Coup Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump/Republican Coup Thread

Post by wautd »

Maybe Trump can try his next career in politics by running a presidential campaign in a banana republic
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-06 05:35pm*sigh* Some are WVian, I'm sure. :(

Well, at least one of them sure was. :D

USNews.com wrote:CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation.

In the video by Republican Del. Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach in after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

“We’re in! Keep it moving, baby!” he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Wait, an elected official was seen STORMING THE CAPITAL AS PART OF A MOB? Then Bragged about it?

Wow. The US needs to put mandatory intelligence testing in place for anyone that wants to run for office.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

wautd wrote: 2021-01-07 05:19am Maybe Trump can try his next career in politics by running a presidential campaign in a banana republic
Well, he was planning to run for President of the US again in 2024, so it looks like he's well on his way to doing just that.

Seriously, though, this whole episode lays out just how antiquated and fragile the US electoral systems and democratic processes really are. The only bright side to the whole debacle is that Donald Trump is a subnormal halfwit with delusions of grandeur who fantasizes about being a dictator, but lacks the intellectual wherewithal and intestinal fortitude necessary to actually pull it off.

My worry is that the clarity impressed upon various Congresscritters by being in the literal line of fire will last, maybe, a week before everyone manages to convince themselves that everything will magically return to normal on January 20 (I mean, news outlets here seem determined to call what happened Wednesday "riots" or "a mob" rather than the attempted coup that it actually was.) Meanwhile, someone (who isn't a subnormal halfwit) will eventually (and if history is any guide, likely inevitably) properly exploit all the weaknesses that Trump bumbled his way into.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: 2021-01-07 11:44am Meanwhile, someone (who isn't a subnormal halfwit) will eventually (and if history is any guide, likely inevitably) properly exploit all the weaknesses that Trump bumbled his way into.
You'd have to be an idiot not to.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Apparently there's talk of White House resignations and impeachment proceedings. Which are pretty meaningless since AFAIK, the impeachment process takes longer than Trump's remaining time in office playing golf. When the new president is inaugurated, aren't all the members of the previous administration out of a job anyway?

There was video of some idiot moaning about being shot with rubber bullets, and I agree- they should have used real bullets. There's widespread feeling that if it was BLM that tried this, the response by law enforcement would have been far more violent.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If Trump is successfully impeached, I believe that would prevent him from running again, even if he was now out of office.
Besides, with the Democracts now controlling the Senate and Congress, they can impeach him quickly, and remove him from office now.
And the second he's impeached, he can be charged, and held for trial without bail.

Otherwise, he has two more weeks to cause a lot of damage, and prepare to flee the country.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Doesn't the new senate/congress come in at the same time as Biden?

Plus Congress isn't sitting again until after the inauguration, so basically they've decided to do nothing.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote: 2021-01-06 08:47pm
Gandalf wrote: 2021-01-06 07:46pm It looks like a few centuries of lionising violent political action is starting to show major effects.
This is pretty bad but there's always been violence (a southern congressman clubbed a senator for denouncing slavery back in the 1850s.) The problem is that the centrists kept ignoring it in the name of "bipartisanship". Had Obama pushed for war crimes in 09 I think things might not have gotten AS bad.
They're also in a city named for a violent insurrectionist who got angry at the taxing of his slave's labour. The country is founded on violence, and the legitimacy it brings.

It's a whole thing, and too much to type here.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-07 12:58am One person shot by police. Three others dying in circumstances that the police are being vague about.
They died of "medical emergencies" and given US medical privacy laws that might be all we get unless the families decide to speak. Could be a heart attack. Could be a bad reaction to all those gasses being spread around.
I'm also curious about how the Trump supporters got hold of "chemical irritants". Which I'm assuming is tear gas.
This is the United States. There are even fewer regulations around that than fire arms. I can buy it where I work. I can buy it at almost every gas station I go to. Getting a BIG can of it might be a little more challenging, but not much. Can of bear spray would work - it's essentially a big can of that shit strong enough to (usually) discourage a grizzly.

There's a reason there's a gas mask stashed under the seat of everyone in Congress.
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-07 02:28am I've got no sympathy for the woman who got shot. She earned that. As for the other three, I don't even know which side they were on.
Given what I heard today I'm assuming they were among those storming the Capitol.

57 police officers injured, one still in the hospital after the mob grabbed him, tazed him repeatedly, and nearly beat him to death.

Seems to me that some of the cops were complicit with the insurrection, some actually did their job and tried to defend the Capitol and Congress.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-07 11:29am Wait, an elected official was seen STORMING THE CAPITAL AS PART OF A MOB? Then Bragged about it?

Wow. The US needs to put mandatory intelligence testing in place for anyone that wants to run for office.
Why?

The stupid ones are easy to catch when they fuck up. The smart ones not so much.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-01-07 02:55pm Apparently there's talk of White House resignations and impeachment proceedings. Which are pretty meaningless since AFAIK, the impeachment process takes longer than Trump's remaining time in office playing golf.
In theory, impeachment could occur in less than a day if they can just get everyone to vote on the articles shortly after they're drawn up. Then it's up to the Senate how fast the second half of that process occurs. Government doesn't usually move that fast, but there actually is enough time to impeach and remove Trump prior to the end of his term.

Or Pence and the president's cabinet can 25th amendment him.

Either way, I'd sleep better if Trump left office NOW.

I'm no fan of Pence, but at this point I have more trust in him obeying the law, upholding the constitution, and not fucking shit up worse than it is between now and January 20th than I do Trump.
Solauren wrote: 2021-01-07 03:00pm If Trump is successfully impeached, I believe that would prevent him from running again, even if he was now out of office.
That is true. Also, the constitution is very explicit that an impeachment can NOT be undone by a presidential pardon.
Solauren wrote: 2021-01-07 03:00pmBesides, with the Democracts now controlling the Senate and Congress, they can impeach him quickly, and remove him from office now.
Um... not exactly. To convict/remove requires 2/3 of the Senate to vote for it, and right now it's a 50/50 split down the middle. Of course, some Republicans might be open to Trump's removal now, the question is whether or not there would be enough.
Solauren wrote: 2021-01-07 03:00pmAnd the second he's impeached, he can be charged, and held for trial without bail.
Er... actually we have to wait until he's removed from office to charge him with a crime in this instance. But that, too, can happen rapidly.

I would pay good money to see Trump perp-walked out of the White House like any common thug.
Solauren wrote: 2021-01-07 03:00pmOtherwise, he has two more weeks to cause a lot of damage, and prepare to flee the country.
That is why I don't care if it's impeach/remove or the 25th, I would like him removed from office now.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The WV Delegate who video'd himself invading the Capitol is being "investigated" for his actions. He's been suspended and may get removed. He has most certainly been reported by multiple concerned citizens to the FBI website.

24hrs later, the "IT WAS ANTIFA AND BLM, NOT US PATRIOTS" lies are spreading so rapidly even my mother has bought into it. I've been swatting the idjits and popping their bubbles on FB, but some folks just can't be taught Facts from Fiction.

Trump's been flown to Camp David, blocked from FB and InstaGram, and by now might be blocked from Twitter. He did, however, supposedly discover Parler and has a private account on it now. Assuming that's the REAL Trump and not some deepfake. And we thought he held the matches last time?

There's already talk of returning January 19/20 and "Really Showing Them!" My military friends are all predicting a blood bath as these idjits try for Biden himself. They've already proved they have people to make pipebombs too. Will it be Civil War, or will it be a short-lived insurrection that gets bloodily put down, followed by months of tracking the survivors down?
I don't know. My military friends don't know, but they're prepping for the worst.

Living through History was supposed to be Flying Cars and Moon Bases, dammit. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Have been talking about this all day in the SDNET Discord chat and it is amazing what has come out in the last 24hours.

The "IT WAS ANTIFA AND BLM, NOT US PATRIOTS" as far as I have come across seems to basically be used ANYwhere involving anything "negative" in regards to the coup. And by negative, i mean anything that even the hard alt right trolls think is "bad" Any violence, or beating of cops, or destruction of property... Any of that, its ANTIFA!!!

In regards to a repeat performance. Well clealry nothing happened today, and I think the wind has gone out of the thugs for now. There has been a VAST wave of disbelief from many of the "true believers" in terms of how the coup is being portrayed.

Lots of people posting along the lines "We were told to do this by the president, why are we being made out as bad guys?" and "Where is our glorious leader trump? he was supposed to be there when we stormed the barricades?"
Basically, for perhaps the first time, people are actually realizing they have been scammed by the scam-artist and aren't liking it.
I highly doubt they may try again on the 20th, or if they do, it may be a 'genuine' protest, instead of the coup attempt we got yesterday,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

This guy's so fucking Antifa right

This is one of the people that died, read that he tased himself by accident while looting the capitol and died from a heart attack.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Could that lead to any charges against rioters including or escalating from assault to manslaughter/murder? and/or attempted murder/manslaughter for anyone just being there?
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The_Saint wrote: 2021-01-08 05:21am
Could that lead to any charges against rioters including or escalating from assault to manslaughter/murder? and/or attempted murder/manslaughter for anyone just being there?
IANAL but I believe so. If they can prove there was a conspiracy to comit a crime then yes any member of the conspiracy can be charged with any felon commited during the crime.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-01-07 02:55pm Apparently there's talk of White House resignations and impeachment proceedings. Which are pretty meaningless since AFAIK, the impeachment process takes longer than Trump's remaining time in office playing golf. When the new president is inaugurated, aren't all the members of the previous administration out of a job anyway?

There was video of some idiot moaning about being shot with rubber bullets, and I agree- they should have used real bullets. There's widespread feeling that if it was BLM that tried this, the response by law enforcement would have been far more violent.
Biden agrees with you:

Capitol could have needed some sentry guns...

Some people have compared this with the "Kristallnacht" in Germany so long time ago.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Infidel wrote: 2021-01-08 06:26am Some people have compared this with the "Kristallnacht" in Germany so long time ago.
More often I've seen it compared to the failed Beerputch.

with the implication the successful coups are still to come...
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Beerputch is what came to me as well.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2021-01-08 06:44am Beerputch is what came to me as well.
Honestly I'd say the Mäntsälä uprising would be closer to this then the Beerputch that said time will tell which one of us is correct (I just hope it'll be me for the sake of the whole World, last thing we need is people like Trump with access to nukes and no way to restrict their use).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-01-08 06:43amMore often I've seen it compared to the failed Beerputch.
More like the Boston "Massacre" - nothing more than a bunch of thugs rioting and getting shot for it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-07 08:37pm Living through History was supposed to be Flying Cars and Moon Bases, dammit. :(
Yeah, I know - I mean, I got my pilot's license, I'm ready for it! ::: looks around ::: Where is it?

I can't keep up with the internet because I'm working full time and yesterday spent far more time than I would have liked under my pickup trying to find out what the hell was wrong with the transmission (answer: fucking squirrels. As in, building a nest so yeah, actual fucking squirrels). Good news there: all fixed and it only cost me a loaf of homemade bread.

Anyhow, some thoughts I've had, in between everything else in my life:

CLEARLY part of the Capitol Police were in on this, and probably some others higher up as the National Guard were not as well equipped as one would expect for the situation. Also, too few arrests. This shouldn't really be surprising as even a half-assed coup attempt generally involves more than just the front line cannon fodder.

I think some of the insurrectionists/terrorists though they had Plot Armor, which is not actually a real life thing. Exhibit A: Ashli Babbitt. If someone is pointing gun at you and is shouting "Don't come through that window!" and you try to climb through the fucking window you're too dumb to live. I have zero sympathy for someone who gets killed committing a felony. I'm not going to link to the tape because if you want to see someone shot and killed on camera you should exert the effort to look for it, but suffice to say she very much was climbing through the window in the door, at the head of an angry mob, and got shot by someone inside defending other people. There is an expression of genuine shock and surprise on her face just before the blood pours out of her mouth: how could this happen to a precious snowflake like me? I'm one of the good guys! Honey, you can NOT force your way into the heart of government of a superpower and not face consequences. And no, you were not one of the good guys.

Trump's speech where allegedly he "accepts" that he will no longer be president I don't think is any such thing. He says there will be a new administration - but he does not name Biden. I believe he is still looking for a way to "win", and as we've seen he has zero problems using other people to meet his ends. He also has zero problem lying because he does so in that speech - he did NOT deploy the National Guard "immediately", he didn't deploy it at all. The Pentagon has said they sent the DC National Guard at the request of Mike Pence.

Speaking of Mike Pence, I do believe Trump was trying to pull the rug out from under him. Now, Pence is many things I find distasteful, but one thing he IS known for is taking religious stuff seriously. And he did swear to uphold the constitution of the United States when he took office. He did so, by NOT screwing around with formally announcing the results of the election even though it is well known that Trump was pressuring him to do just that, and equally known that Pence has told him he couldn't and wouldn't do that. I do believe Trump was timing this little coup attempt for around the time Pence would be making such an announcement and would have been thrilled if Pence had been killed by the terrorists - some of whom were, it is said, walking around yelling "Where the fuck is Pence?" or something to that effect. Now, think about this from an Cartoon Evil Mastermind viewpoint: if the cannon-fodder mob breaches the Capitol and just happens to take out Mike Pence, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Grassley those are the #2, 3, and 4 in the line of succession to the president AND Trump gets to appoint a new guy in place of Pence who, no longer being completely obedient, has outlived his usefulness. They could also get Kamala Harris, the new #2. After Grassley the line of succession moves to the president's cabinet, a group that might be more accommodating to Trump's wishes. (Biden was in Delaware at the time). The fact that Trump launched the mob AND delayed the deployment of the National Guard makes me think this was an outcome he was hopping for, the permanent elimination of those who would not kowtow to him. As a bonus, he could hold their fates up to the next people he appoints. It would also give Trump an excuse to declare martial law because, oh gosh, look at the carnage.

I do believe someone will try again on January 20th, at the inauguration. I'm not going to speculate on how, because that's not something one should do on line unless you want a visit from the Secret Service. I assume if I can come up with ideas those who actually plot such things could come up with even more and better ideas.

The dumbfucks following Trump, who were part of the mob, still seem largely clueless that Trump does not give a fuck about them, not one bit, and will cheerfully scapegoat them and throw them under the bus now that they've served their purpose. When will they ever learn? Not soon enough, some - like Ashli Babbitt - never at all.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The_Saint wrote: 2021-01-08 05:21am
In theory, yes, being part of committing a felony where there is a fatality most certainly can and frequently does lead to a murder charge. If you're darker than White, or if you're poor, or both.

Do note the qualification I added to that.

IF that logic is followed through then, in theory, every person involved in that mob action could face the charge of murdering a police officer and anyone who instigated it by, say, telling said mob to march to the Capitol.

Trump has said for years that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue in New York and get away with it. On Wednesday, he aimed a mob at several hundred people, thinking he could get away with it. I hope that he can't but fear that he might.