Texas State Newspaper writer fired for racist column

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Texas State Newspaper writer fired for racist column

Post by loomer »

Kane Starkiller wrote: 2018-02-08 09:17am
loomer wrote:As in the second. These discussions usually - except with morons like the author of the original article - use capitalized forms to refer to the cultural and power structures, not the ethnicity. Hence, White people and white people in the same sentence, or Black people and black people.
I have no doubt that the author intentionally wanted to generate controversy for the clicks. But this all seems like an evasion by the people using the term "white" to begin with. Whites this, whites that...and then when you call them out on it it's "oooh but it's not WHITE white, not the skin color but the systems and structures and onthology and stuff". OK, then why bring the word white in it to begin with?
It's like saying bLaCkS are lazy but you know it's not racist because I capitalized every other word so it's not the biological definition but my personal bullshit wink-wink, nudge-nudge definition.
I posted earlier about how solid sociological concepts are ruined by morons. Think of Whiteness and Blackness along the lines of privilege, and look at it in the proper context, and you'll find it's not being used as an evasion. Look at morons using it to be morons, and you'll find it is - but you'll find that about virtually everything.

loomer wrote:You're conflating multiple things together, but the answer is a very strong yes, partly but not solely because the two are closely related in politics and culture.
Really? Talking about "white supremacy", "whitelash" and "white privilege" includes people outside European ancestry? Was there ever a discussion involving, say, two Japanese guys and one says to another "well as a white male I don't expect you to understand the..."?
What I state you're conflating together are concepts like 'white slave owners' - where it is both White and white - and 'White supremacy' - where much of the current media and scholarly debate is very specifically about White supremacy, not white supremacy. As for your second point, what the fuck are you on about? I can only assume you're trying to link two more distinct concepts together. Bluntly and simply: Yes, White supremacy can play a cultural factor in Japan and other parts of Asia, but it doesn't take the form you're trying to insinuate. I suspect you may have been confused at some point by the debates around whether or not Japanese people - with their imperialist past and extreme xenophobia - can be considered People of Colour or not.

loomer wrote:Welcome to the hellish questions that haunt discussions around critical race theory.
It's hellish because extreme left ideologues are trying to somehow maintain discreete categories of races in US even trying to maintain the binary of Whites on one hand and "people of color" on the other even as there has been a massive influx of Hispanics that are on a spectrum of purely European to purely Native and every mix in between. Plus the immigration of Asians and growing intermarriage rates between whites, hispanics(already significantly European) and Asians.
Good luck "intersecting" that champs. :D
[/quote]

Is there anything Extreme Left about recognizing sociopolitical phenomenon, studying them, and discussing them? Whiteness is a thing, Blackness is a thing, Yellowness is a thing. Recognizing a situation exists may require some categorization, but here, the categories are not strictly racial but rather structural.

I can only assume by your 'good luck intersecting' comment that you think this is something to do, specifically, with feminism. It isn't, in and of itself, but it's also very easy to 'intersect' as you put it! Let's take two examples. We have Susan, a white middle class atheist woman, and we have Carmilla, a biracial woman of Asian and Latino descent who adheres to traditional shinto belief and comes from a lower socioeconomic class. The 'intersecting' is simple: it's just recognizing that their learned experiences and the factors around them may be distinct from each other; essentially, that different challenges may or may not exist, and that they are more likely to exist for certain groups of people than for others. It ties in very, very heavily with privilege discourse.

Let's also take a moment to examine 'the binary of Whites on one hand and "people of color" on the other'. I'm actually not a fan of the terminology - especially when people use it here in Australia to try and draw some parallel between colonizing PoC and indigenous experiences - but I can recognize what it's for. It's actually not hard to understand.

Take as your initial position, just for a brief thought experiment, the idea that the defacto view of American society is that of Whiteness, expressed primarily but not solely by White people, reflecting all that entails. Now consider that people who are not White - note that that isn't white - lie to a degree outside of that complex intersection of culture, ethnicity, and power structures that makes up Whiteness, varying depending on a variety of factors (e.g. passing vs non-passing) and that this status as an Other may, or may not, produce experiences that are similar to those of other People of Colour in relating to the White paradigm. That's the logic. It's not complex or difficult to understand, and the reason why PoC is something of a rallying banner is the same reason why LGBTQ is - it's easier to stand somewhat outside of the orthodox conventions when you have other people, even if their experiences are not the exact same as yours, backing you up and standing with you.

The questions are not hellish because of the 'extreme left'. They are hellish because they can be fractal levels of complex, and engage with huge questions about identity, history, cultural dynamics, legal structures, and basic means of social identity. It's not much different in many respects to Dr. Said's theory that the West invented a perception of 'the East' to codify - subconsciously, largely, as part of a broader structural shift - the idea of 'The West'. 'Whiteness' codifies itself by reference to 'not-Whiteness' in a similar way in most CRT, but the exact questions of what falls under the banner are difficult to answer.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

loomer wrote:I posted earlier about how solid sociological concepts are ruined by morons. Think of Whiteness and Blackness along the lines of privilege, and look at it in the proper context, and you'll find it's not being used as an evasion. Look at morons using it to be morons, and you'll find it is - but you'll find that about virtually everything.

What I state you're conflating together are concepts like 'white slave owners' - where it is both White and white - and 'White supremacy' - where much of the current media and scholarly debate is very specifically about White supremacy, not white supremacy. As for your second point, what the fuck are you on about? I can only assume you're trying to link two more distinct concepts together. Bluntly and simply: Yes, White supremacy can play a cultural factor in Japan and other parts of Asia, but it doesn't take the form you're trying to insinuate. I suspect you may have been confused at some point by the debates around whether or not Japanese people - with their imperialist past and extreme xenophobia - can be considered People of Colour or not.
"It's both White and white"
How do you expect this capitalization distinction will carry over to spoken dialogue? Political speeches? Rallies?
Furthermore who will take the responsibility for "White privilege" if it's not about skin color? All I have to do is not consider myself "White" even though I'm "white" and that's it.
When a cop shoots a civillian and the news article titles are all: "White cop shoots an unarmed black civillian" what are they talking about there? They are talking about skin aren't they? If a light skinned Korean cop was the shooter would he be referred to as "white cop"? And when the discussion goes from white-skinned cop shoots black-skinned civillian into "W(w)hite privilege", "W(w)hiteness" and "B(b)lackness" we are supposed to watch carefully what the capitalization is? I mean really.

loomer wrote:Is there anything Extreme Left about recognizing sociopolitical phenomenon, studying them, and discussing them? Whiteness is a thing, Blackness is a thing, Yellowness is a thing. Recognizing a situation exists may require some categorization, but here, the categories are not strictly racial but rather structural.

I can only assume by your 'good luck intersecting' comment that you think this is something to do, specifically, with feminism. It isn't, in and of itself, but it's also very easy to 'intersect' as you put it! Let's take two examples. We have Susan, a white middle class atheist woman, and we have Carmilla, a biracial woman of Asian and Latino descent who adheres to traditional shinto belief and comes from a lower socioeconomic class. The 'intersecting' is simple: it's just recognizing that their learned experiences and the factors around them may be distinct from each other; essentially, that different challenges may or may not exist, and that they are more likely to exist for certain groups of people than for others. It ties in very, very heavily with privilege discourse.

Let's also take a moment to examine 'the binary of Whites on one hand and "people of color" on the other'. I'm actually not a fan of the terminology - especially when people use it here in Australia to try and draw some parallel between colonizing PoC and indigenous experiences - but I can recognize what it's for. It's actually not hard to understand.

Take as your initial position, just for a brief thought experiment, the idea that the defacto view of American society is that of Whiteness, expressed primarily but not solely by White people, reflecting all that entails. Now consider that people who are not White - note that that isn't white - lie to a degree outside of that complex intersection of culture, ethnicity, and power structures that makes up Whiteness, varying depending on a variety of factors (e.g. passing vs non-passing) and that this status as an Other may, or may not, produce experiences that are similar to those of other People of Colour in relating to the White paradigm. That's the logic. It's not complex or difficult to understand, and the reason why PoC is something of a rallying banner is the same reason why LGBTQ is - it's easier to stand somewhat outside of the orthodox conventions when you have other people, even if their experiences are not the exact same as yours, backing you up and standing with you.

The questions are not hellish because of the 'extreme left'. They are hellish because they can be fractal levels of complex, and engage with huge questions about identity, history, cultural dynamics, legal structures, and basic means of social identity. It's not much different in many respects to Dr. Said's theory that the West invented a perception of 'the East' to codify - subconsciously, largely, as part of a broader structural shift - the idea of 'The West'. 'Whiteness' codifies itself by reference to 'not-Whiteness' in a similar way in most CRT, but the exact questions of what falls under the banner are difficult to answer.
Whiteness, Blackness and Yellowness are structural categories. What does that mean? What is the difference between Whiteness and Blackness? How do Whiteness, Blackness and Yellowness map to whiteness, blackness and yellownes?
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Straha wrote: 2018-02-07 05:06pm That's a fair response. I think for purposes of the conversation writ large the question of respect for property and of the average Native person is what is important, which involved little to none and mass enslavement (only to be eventually undone in favor of African slavery) respectively. And I think instances of intermarriage don't disprove the systemic analysis being made from a larger perspective.

I would be interested in this conversation, but I don't think this disputes the larger point that's relevant to the thread.
I just don't think you can throw Spanish/Portugese and Anglo colonialism in the same pot here. One had way more respect for the natives and had debates on how to treat the natives..the other was genocidal from the start with little to no debate happening. One resulted in widespread intermarriages - even unto royalty - so much you would be hard presssed to find a citizen of those countries today that did not have native ancestors somewhere in his matrilineal or patrilineal line, the other resulted in reservations and nearly being wiped out.

Understand that I am not arguing the spanish were saints (their treatment of the caribbean people attests to the opposite of that) but that due to the circumstances they were forced to act less genocidal overall and that their colonial and european societies were a lot more tolerant of having native blood.
Also, even if they did respect certain conventions with the Aztec, other Islands and nations did not receive anywhere near the same regard.
Because they weren't seen as states, but Aztecs, Incas and others were. The Aztec Empire had a functioning bureaucracy, a regulated army, huge cities, roads etc. All things the Spanish could appreciate and use for their own purposes.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Kane Starkiller wrote: 2018-02-08 10:46am
loomer wrote:I posted earlier about how solid sociological concepts are ruined by morons. Think of Whiteness and Blackness along the lines of privilege, and look at it in the proper context, and you'll find it's not being used as an evasion. Look at morons using it to be morons, and you'll find it is - but you'll find that about virtually everything.

"It's both White and white"
How do you expect this capitalization distinction will carry over to spoken dialogue? Political speeches? Rallies?
I don't, and you'll notice I have at no point attempted to suggest it will, or even that it can or that careless use of the terminology is acceptable. It is academic terminology best suited to the written word.
Furthermore who will take the responsibility for "White privilege" if it's not about skin color? All I have to do is not consider myself "White" even though I'm "white" and that's it.
Are you being disingenuous, or do you genuinely believe this statement?

Let's break it down. Is 'White privilege' actually about skin colour? The answer is no - it is about the various advantages that Whiteness conveys, and skin colour is only the most immediate indicator of Whiteness. If it was just about skin colour the only privilege would be easier synthesis of vitamin D in higher latitudes! It also isn't something you can 'opt out' of if you remain, to all external views, White. If your name sounds White, if you look White by the flawed method of the eye (and yes - skintone can be an indicator of Whiteness, but only a superficial one. It is possible for someone to be white and not White - e.g. many Indigenous Australians are no darker than people of Italian or Spanish origin, and some are even of originally and nearly completely caucasian descent), and if you enjoy the other advantages that come with it, you aren't actually 'out' even if you say 'oh well I'm not White, just white'.

However, I suspect a brief diversion into what White privilege actually entails is worthwhile here. It is not something you need to 'take responsibility' for, because it isn't an action someone does or consciously enters into. It's a number of mild, but frequent, biases in White societies (and also some non-White societies) that favour those who adhere to cultural or, yes, sometimes ethnic Whiteness over those who do not. It is, however, something to be aware of and consider when relating to those who do not adhere to the broad set of ideals, identities, and 'ways' that Whiteness prescribes.

So, let's use your idea. I'm very fuckin' White, and very white as well. I benefit from the mild but systemic biases in my country that favour White people over non-White people. I have better luck at job interviews because I have a 'White name'. I have better luck giving presentations because I 'sound White'. The police are less likely to assume criminality than if I was an Indigenous man of the same age and low socioeconomic background. I could, if I was determined to, put myself out of some of these small zones of bias - I could speak differently, change my name, and so forth. That would abrogate some on going White privileges, but it wouldn't put me out for those built on racial bias where it intersects with White privilege or for those that I have already enjoyed.
When a cop shoots a civillian and the news article titles are all: "White cop shoots an unarmed black civillian" what are they talking about there? They are talking about skin aren't they? If a light skinned Korean cop was the shooter would he be referred to as "white cop"? And when the discussion goes from white-skinned cop shoots black-skinned civillian into "W(w)hite privilege", "W(w)hiteness" and "B(b)lackness" we are supposed to watch carefully what the capitalization is? I mean really.
It may shock you, but while Whiteness and whiteness are closely intertwined but not identical, the language is inexact and often misused outside of its proper context. Given this, yes, if you want to have intelligent discussions about privilege, race, and Race, it pays to pay attention to capitalization and the specific uses of the terminology in a way that a news report usually doesn't.

Are you here to regurgitate the same poor level of considered thought as FOX news, or to have intelligent discussions and debates? Because one will always be held to a higher standard than the other, and trying to enter into it with the flawed idea that there isn't a serious difference is just fucking dumb. It's on the same level as pointing to articles on color theory when discussing color charge and trying to go 'see?!' to prove a point. This is ultimately the fundamental point of my initial question to you. Terminology is significant.

loomer wrote:Is there anything Extreme Left about recognizing sociopolitical phenomenon, studying them, and discussing them? Whiteness is a thing, Blackness is a thing, Yellowness is a thing. Recognizing a situation exists may require some categorization, but here, the categories are not strictly racial but rather structural.

Whiteness, Blackness and Yellowness are structural categories. What does that mean? What is the difference between Whiteness and Blackness? How do Whiteness, Blackness and Yellowness map to whiteness, blackness and yellownes?
It means, quite simply, that Whiteness, Blackness, Yellowness et al are not solely matters of skintone but also of culture, history, access to infrastructure, wealth disparities, legal system biases, and a whole host of other issues. The difference between Whiteness and Blackness has been exhaustively discussed elsewhere, and varies from place to place, but to offer a real basic model: Whiteness, that is, the structural category of Whiteness, is the dominant cultural identity of White societies and suffuses most power structures etc, while Blackness is outside of that identity and sometimes at odds, usually but not always with a history of exploitation or oppression (similar situations exist for Yellowness et al in other areas) and with inferior influence over the power structures. For an excellent example of the distinction, look at situations where black - that's small b ethnic/racial blackfellas of whatever origin - are looked down on for 'acting White', or even the mockery made of white kids who act Black.

Whiteness, Blackness et al map loosely to their ethnic and racial counterparts because those are the origins, but it isn't 1:1 because only a small part of the structural categories has to do with skin tone - usually the part that intersects with actual direct racial prejudice. Much larger parts relate to language use (consider the furor over whether AAVE or the various blackfella englishes here are 'proper' english or not, and whether they count as a dialect or just as 'bad english'), cultural ideals, and historical power imbalances.

Above all, I feel a need to emphasize here that categories like Whiteness and Blackness are primarily of use as models, and like all theoretical models, have their flaws. The adoption of the terminology by people who don't have much understanding of it and confusion of it with whiteness and blackness are part and parcel of those flaws.

I will also note that all of this is readily available if you spend a few minutes consulting our eminent colleague Dr. Google, or in several of Oxford's excellent Very Short Introduction books. It's really not hard to find decent explanations of these concepts if you look further than your nearest frothing tumblrite.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

It should be noted that whiteness and blackness are not equivalent concepts. Blackness, especially in the US, has a meaningful cultural significance that whiteness does not. The root difference between the two is that European immigrants did not experience the same eradication of ethnic and tribal affiliations that enslaved Africans did. Black people were denied their original culture, and so blackness became a mostly combination of shared experiences under slavery and Jim Crow.

Since white people were not denied their roots, their customs were able to retain their ethnic affiliation, even if cultural osmosis made them more universal (pizza and lasagna are considered Italian foods, not white foods, for example). The continued existence of those roots means that white culture has no real meaning, since it can only possess customs that do not belong to any of the various white tribes. Whiteness is an identity built on a foundation of sand.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 07:16amNot Straha, but isn't the general takeaway not 'kill all white people'/'mass exodus anyone who doesn't meet the reverse paper bag test' but rather 'Whiteness is the problem, White people have no place here; therefore we must eliminate the concept of Whiteness and its influence (not white people themselves)'?
Imagine a white author trying to make the reverse statement about Blackness, without saying it about black people themselves. Or Yellowness, without saying it about Asian people themselves. Or... whatever word we use for Latinos, without saying it about Latinos themselves.

No way in hell would anyone believe for a minute that they only want to exclude an obnoxious set of cultural values, and not the people who adhere to those values. The notion "I didn't mean black people, I just meant Blackness!" would be laughed out of a hearing, and rightly so.

It is possible to convey the message "this set of things white people do needs to stop." But if you 'try' to convey that message by writing an article that says "Your DNA is an abomination, not one in a hundred of you is a decent human being, I hate you," then you are simply not even trying to convey that message in good faith. And no one is under any obligation to interpret it as "this set of things white people do needs to stop."
Not taking a specific stance on it since I feel it's a largely unhelpful and divisive metric (then again, I'm pretty goddamn White so that might be expected), but that's my understanding of what's usually the (poorly worded) actual intention of that stance.
There comes a point at which a message is so "poorly worded" as a way of presenting a certain stance, that Occam's Razor suggests that it was never intended to present that stance in the first place. I refuse to grant such messages the benefit of the doubt past that point. If someone says "Blueness needs to die" then either they mean "blue people need to die" or they mean something they damn well should have said differently.

Communicating badly and then acting smug when one is misunderstood is not cleverness.
Alferd Packer wrote: 2018-02-08 07:39am
loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 07:16am Not Straha, but isn't the general takeaway not 'kill all white people'/'mass exodus anyone who doesn't meet the reverse paper bag test' but rather 'Whiteness is the problem, White people have no place here; therefore we must eliminate the concept of Whiteness and its influence (not white people themselves)'?
Yeah, that's what I thought, as well. Whiteness needs to die an ontological death, wherein the culture we white people have created must be destroyed, so that it can be replaced with something better that doesn't result in systemic abuse, murder, and disenfranchisement of ethnic minorities. But beyond advocating that White people admit to and agree with the above, no one has really advocated a particular course that leads us to any sort of solution, or gives us an idea of what possible culture replaces Whiteness. I wonder if there are any extant nations whose majority/minority relationship can be used to offer even an idea of a practical implementation of "post-Whiteness" culture.
Furthermore, there's not even a clear list of which cultural practices are "Whiteness things" as opposed to "things white people happen to be doing a lot."

I mean, suppose that (for example) white people are massively overrepresented in Dungeons and Dragons games. Does that mean Dungeons and Dragons is part of Whiteness and needs to be abolished? It seems kind of dubious that this would be true, because playing Dungeons and Dragons isn't a high-status social activity. It doesn't represent a secret ladder to power for white people that enables them to wittingly or unwittingly oppress minorities. It's not clear that abolishing it would help in any useful way.

Mozart was a white guy, but I would hope that we don't need to throw his music down the memory hole in order to abolish this thing that's being called Whiteness. Mozart isn't obviously a tool of oppression or a source of oppression.

The problem with the word "Whiteness" is that it is virtually impossible to give it a consistent, rigorous definition that includes only things that 'need to die,' without ending up conflating it with other things, or equivocating between 'cultural Whiteness' and 'white people' and various other terms.

As such, "Whiteness needs to die" becomes yet another motte-and-bailey. There's the very ambitious claim "everything white people do needs to be changed or ended, and white people whose racial views are decent should shut up and defer to me regardless of all other considerations, I am hereby in charge of this 'conversation' we need to have." Which is a very desirable rhetorical position to stake out IF you are a trolling clown or an abusive loony. The problem is, it's indefensible on its merits, so that whenever it's attacked, the people who make ambitious claims for shits and giggles equivocate and retreat to the "I'm just saying whites should stop oppressing people!" claim that is more defensible but unambitious.
Alkaloid wrote: 2018-02-08 07:51amThis thread is a perfect example. It started because of an article, that, by your read is technically correct and inoffensive to someone who understands the terminology and context it's being used in. S_J is usually a pretty reasonable guy, but right now he's feeling unsettled and attacked by it, and we're five pages into a thread with you trying to explain it to him. If he were a kid on the campus where it was published, and you were more interested in nudging S_J toward the alt right than you were in engaging him you could barely have created a better tool for the job, not because the article is incorrect but because it is far to easy to reframe for your purpose. Doing that would be dishonest bullshit, sure, but it would work.
Basically this. And yes, if I were reading this at eighteen, it would have pushed my views on race issues either nowhere or in the wrong direction.

Because I'd be taking it at face value. Because to me, the article says what it SAYS, not what it supposedly says if we read everything in a vaguely English-flavored conlang invented by a handful of professional shit-stirrers who claim a license to redefine words in whatever way allows them to make maximally explosive statements at the cost of clarity, truth, and consistency with a viable modus vivendi for the world we live in.
At some point people need to start asking themselves what their goals are, and if the action they're about to perform helps them achieve it. If it doesn't, you need to stop doing it. If someone in your circle is repeatedly doing things which harm the ability of your circle to achieve its long term goals it might be time to ask them to find a new circle.
Also this.

When you are soldiers in an army, firing your rifles at the enemy, if you meet a 'fellow soldier' who's firing his rifle in the wrong direction, you correct him. If he hears "the enemy is to the north, you are shooting to the west, turn and shoot that way," he should turn and shoot north. If he continues to shoot west, or south, or east, he is not actually a soldier in your army. He is not helping you fight the enemy. He may even be hurting and killing your army. He is doing the enemy's work.

And your army, even if it is run entirely of and by its own ranks and is not under the control of any oppressor, will still police itself against that. It may well judge him as a traitor to the cause, not as a person whose choices should be defended and upheld.
loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 11:26am
Kane Starkiller wrote: 2018-02-08 10:46am "It's both White and white"
I don't, and you'll notice I have at no point attempted to suggest it will, or even that it can or that careless use of the terminology is acceptable. It is academic terminology best suited to the written word.
I would like to suggest that maaaybe if one uses written terminology that cannot be carried over into the spoken word without causing massive ambiguity and misunderstanding... One is communicating poorly. Among other things, because if an academic discussion of Whiteness leads to concrete, usable ideas that would be constructive for society at large to follow... at some point, someone is going to have to actually speak on the subject.

The "oh, White is totally different from white is totally different from wHiTe, because of the capitalization" approach only works if all this academic discussion on race theory is explicitly intended to remain as an eternal irrelevant footnote in the pages of some scholarly journal. Furthermore, even in an academic context it lends itself to equivocation.

This is why (for instance) physicists have several words related to the physical movement of an object: "force," "momentum," "impulse," "energy," "velocity," and "acceleration." They all refer to specific distinct concepts, and we use clearly different words for all of them. This is precisely to ensure that there is no possibility of equivocation or rhetorical ambiguity between "momentum is conserved in all situations" (which is true) and "velocity is conserved in all situations" (which it plainly isn't). No one can say "oh, you think that's a counterexample of my theory that objects fly in a straight line until they run out of impetus and fall to the ground? No no no, you misunderstood, I just meant to say this and I just happen to define words differently than you!"

As a consequence, physics is free to discover real and directly useful things, whose relevance and desirability it can communicate to the outside world. Instead of enraging the outside world every time it opens its mouth because it no longer knows how to speak without 'unwittingly' insulting the majority of the population in a way it 'never meant to do.' Instead of getting bogged down in nonsensical theories immune to falsification. Or endless circular recursive debates between people who cannot agree how to define words, because they're too busy masturbating over their ability to creatively re-define words to support their arguments.
It may shock you, but while Whiteness and whiteness are closely intertwined but not identical, the language is inexact and often misused outside of its proper context. Given this, yes, if you want to have intelligent discussions about privilege, race, and Race, it pays to pay attention to capitalization and the specific uses of the terminology in a way that a news report usually doesn't.
I submit that the choice of terminology here is actively confusing the issue and making the pro-minority cause harder to advance.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-08 03:20pm
loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 07:16amNot Straha, but isn't the general takeaway not 'kill all white people'/'mass exodus anyone who doesn't meet the reverse paper bag test' but rather 'Whiteness is the problem, White people have no place here; therefore we must eliminate the concept of Whiteness and its influence (not white people themselves)'?
Imagine a white author trying to make the reverse statement about Blackness, without saying it about black people themselves. Or Yellowness, without saying it about Asian people themselves. Or... whatever word we use for Latinos, without saying it about Latinos themselves.

No way in hell would anyone believe for a minute that they only want to exclude an obnoxious set of cultural values, and not the people who adhere to those values. The notion "I didn't mean black people, I just meant Blackness!" would be laughed out of a hearing, and rightly so.
The argument is fairly regularly made, and it actually sits within the same argument as Whiteness needs to be stopped. You actually can't eliminate Whiteness as a construct without also eliminating Blackness as a construct because the two have been set up in opposition as the primary means and mode of distinction and definition, so I don't think your point is as strong as you think it is. End Whiteness = End Blackness.

Now also take a moment to consider the people who, for years, unironically advanced Chris Rock's famous line 'I don't hate black people, I hate Niggers'. Consider the various people who speak loudly against AAVE and other expressions of Blackness as being inappropriate or degrading or whatever terminology. People have been saying 'black people are fine, Blackness isn't' for decades. The only difference is they haven't used that exact wording, and while some - our not so ardent Chris Rock fans - are laughed out of the room, this board has seen serious debate over whether AAVE is a dialect or just 'bad english'.
It is possible to convey the message "this set of things white people do needs to stop." But if you 'try' to convey that message by writing an article that says "Your DNA is an abomination, not one in a hundred of you is a decent human being, I hate you," then you are simply not even trying to convey that message in good faith. And no one is under any obligation to interpret it as "this set of things white people do needs to stop."
Sure, but to make it clear - I'm not discussing the article. I have zero interest in discussing the article, because it's a shitty article. That's self evident and well established. What I am interested in is discussing the utility generally of Whiteness and Blackness as constructs, and part of that is establishing that most people with a clue (unlike the article's author; that with a clue is an important qualifier) who say 'down with Whiteness' or even 'down with White people' do not mean genocide, they mean dismantling the harmful elements of Whiteness. Some are more pessimistic than others and don't think you can excise the bad without killing the rest, but ultimately, very few actual scholars and academics are calling for Genocide no matter what fucking morons wind up posting.
Not taking a specific stance on it since I feel it's a largely unhelpful and divisive metric (then again, I'm pretty goddamn White so that might be expected), but that's my understanding of what's usually the (poorly worded) actual intention of that stance.
There comes a point at which a message is so "poorly worded" as a way of presenting a certain stance, that Occam's Razor suggests that it was never intended to present that stance in the first place. I refuse to grant such messages the benefit of the doubt past that point. If someone says "Blueness needs to die" then either they mean "blue people need to die" or they mean something they damn well should have said differently.

Communicating badly and then acting smug when one is misunderstood is not cleverness.
Again - not discussing the article, not interested in doing so. I broadly agree, but I also think that you can say 'Whiteness (or Blackness, or any ideology or construct for that matter) needs to die' without saying 'People with white skin need to die', because the two are distinct when the terms are being used correctly.
Alferd Packer wrote: 2018-02-08 07:39am
loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 07:16am Not Straha, but isn't the general takeaway not 'kill all white people'/'mass exodus anyone who doesn't meet the reverse paper bag test' but rather 'Whiteness is the problem, White people have no place here; therefore we must eliminate the concept of Whiteness and its influence (not white people themselves)'?
Yeah, that's what I thought, as well. Whiteness needs to die an ontological death, wherein the culture we white people have created must be destroyed, so that it can be replaced with something better that doesn't result in systemic abuse, murder, and disenfranchisement of ethnic minorities. But beyond advocating that White people admit to and agree with the above, no one has really advocated a particular course that leads us to any sort of solution, or gives us an idea of what possible culture replaces Whiteness. I wonder if there are any extant nations whose majority/minority relationship can be used to offer even an idea of a practical implementation of "post-Whiteness" culture.
Furthermore, there's not even a clear list of which cultural practices are "Whiteness things" as opposed to "things white people happen to be doing a lot."

I mean, suppose that (for example) white people are massively overrepresented in Dungeons and Dragons games. Does that mean Dungeons and Dragons is part of Whiteness and needs to be abolished? It seems kind of dubious that this would be true, because playing Dungeons and Dragons isn't a high-status social activity. It doesn't represent a secret ladder to power for white people that enables them to wittingly or unwittingly oppress minorities. It's not clear that abolishing it would help in any useful way.

Mozart was a white guy, but I would hope that we don't need to throw his music down the memory hole in order to abolish this thing that's being called Whiteness. Mozart isn't obviously a tool of oppression or a source of oppression.

The problem with the word "Whiteness" is that it is virtually impossible to give it a consistent, rigorous definition that includes only things that 'need to die,' without ending up conflating it with other things, or equivocating between 'cultural Whiteness' and 'white people' and various other terms.
No disagreement there, but I suggest you look at the work of academics for your actual definitions of what aspects of American, German, English etc culture constitute Whiteness. You won't find, say, DnD on that list or Mozart. A fairly major aspect of the critique is actually that there is no one White culture, because White is an artificial construct crudely stapling disparate European and American cultures together using opposition to not-White as its primary identifier. The terminology can be messy, but essentially, Mozart is not White culture - Mozart is Austrian culture.

The things that are broadly agreed on to constitute White culture are those things that hinge on the oppositionalist definition of White vs Not-White, and the power structures that lead to inequality and prejudice as a result. Even people crying for an end to White Culture - except, again, the fucking morons - aren't saying 'burn the Mona Lisa! WHITE! WHIIIITE!'

They're saying 'Burn the idea that the Mona Lisa is part of 'White Culture'! Dismantle the idea that Whiteness is homogenous and defacto!', sometimes with a side serving of 'Put more Black art in the classical art syllabus if it fits so that the representation isn't purely one of constructed Whiteness!'

To use your DnD thing - DnD is very much a product of Whiteness (and one glance at the racial dynamics shows some real weird stuff going on, even as a long time player), but that does not in and of itself make it White Culture or the target of 'End Whiteness'. It's one of the things that can be readily divorced from Whiteness as a concept because, as you yourself say, it isn't forming some sinister power structure to keep others down nor is it reliant on the White/Not-White dichotomy that Whiteness creates.
As such, "Whiteness needs to die" becomes yet another motte-and-bailey. There's the very ambitious claim "everything white people do needs to be changed or ended, and white people whose racial views are decent should shut up and defer to me regardless of all other considerations, I am hereby in charge of this 'conversation' we need to have." Which is a very desirable rhetorical position to stake out IF you are a trolling clown or an abusive loony. The problem is, it's indefensible on its merits, so that whenever it's attacked, the people who make ambitious claims for shits and giggles equivocate and retreat to the "I'm just saying whites should stop oppressing people!" claim that is more defensible but unambitious.
Sure. Shitheads gonna be shitheads. Shitheads are shitheads about everything. Do we allow shitheads who try and shut conversations down because they have the degree in Economics to ruin all discussions about Economics or make it somehow improper to discuss Economics? No, we don't. We just laugh and go 'nah, fuck you' and keep trucking. This is no different.

You'll also find, if you look further, that there's plenty of people having conversations about Whiteness without that dynamic. Frothing tumblrites and moron article authors are the lunatic fringe, not the core. You'll find people trying to peg down working definitions of Whiteness - maybe with the aid of a degree in White studies or racial studies - to have meaningful debates about, not just going 'lalala can't hear you i just mean whites should stop being oppressive'.

loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 11:26am
Kane Starkiller wrote: 2018-02-08 10:46am "It's both White and white"
I would like to suggest that maaaybe if one uses written terminology that cannot be carried over into the spoken word without causing massive ambiguity and misunderstanding... One is communicating poorly. Among other things, because if an academic discussion of Whiteness leads to concrete, usable ideas that would be constructive for society at large to follow... at some point, someone is going to have to actually speak on the subject.

The "oh, White is totally different from white is totally different from wHiTe, because of the capitalization" approach only works if all this academic discussion on race theory is explicitly intended to remain as an eternal irrelevant footnote in the pages of some scholarly journal. Furthermore, even in an academic context it lends itself to equivocation.

This is why (for instance) physicists have several words related to the physical movement of an object: "force," "momentum," "impulse," "energy," "velocity," and "acceleration." They all refer to specific distinct concepts, and we use clearly different words for all of them. This is precisely to ensure that there is no possibility of equivocation or rhetorical ambiguity between "momentum is conserved in all situations" (which is true) and "velocity is conserved in all situations" (which it plainly isn't). No one can say "oh, you think that's a counterexample of my theory that objects fly in a straight line until they run out of impetus and fall to the ground? No no no, you misunderstood, I just meant to say this and I just happen to define words differently than you!"

As a consequence, physics is free to discover real and directly useful things, whose relevance and desirability it can communicate to the outside world. Instead of enraging the outside world every time it opens its mouth because it no longer knows how to speak without 'unwittingly' insulting the majority of the population in a way it 'never meant to do.' Instead of getting bogged down in nonsensical theories immune to falsification. Or endless circular recursive debates between people who cannot agree how to define words, because they're too busy masturbating over their ability to creatively re-define words to support their arguments.
I agree. The terminology could use some polishing, especially as it moves into more public spheres. But I also maintain that in debates like this, until such terminology has been polished to smoothness, it does matter whether we capitalize or not and whether we correctly use the terminology in its specific context.
I submit that the choice of terminology here is actively confusing the issue and making the pro-minority cause harder to advance.
Yeah, it doesn't help matters, but again, it's what we have to work with until someone figures out a better way to approach it for mass consumption. I don't find it terribly confusing on a personal level, but I come from a field where we use many common words in bizarre ways with little to no relation to how they're used elsewhere so that may be causing a disconnect.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Apologies for the delayed response.
Straha wrote: 2018-02-03 04:34pmThat's a fair criticism for something posted as an op-ed in a newspaper, and one I certainly agree with. It's a sophomoric approach to assume everyone knows what you're talking about. But maybe the author is actually a Sophomore?
Indeed.
I think the direct analogy is less Rape and more Theft.

If my father steals your car it should be given back. Ideally with compensation for the damages you sustained while it was gone.
If my father steals your car and sells it to someone else, whether or not they know it was stolen, it should still be given back to you. Ideally with compensation for the damages sustained.
If my father steals your car and gives it to me and dies nothing changes. I may think the car is mine, I might have a personal sentimental attachment to it from the time I spent in it with my now deceased father. It's still your car.
If my father steals your car and gives it to me and dies, and you die (perhaps because you no longer have a car) the car still belongs to your heirs, not me.

Same principle. A theft occurred. A genocide was wrought to do it. We ought fix that.
I agree in principle.

But in practice, of course, its a hell of a lot harder when the stolen property is land on which literally hundreds of millions of people who had no hand in the original theft and did not choose to be born there are now living, under a system of government to which they have contributed taxes and to who's rights and protections they are entitled by law. You could say "they should never have been there, so their opinions shouldn't matter", but they DO matter, as a practical consideration if nothing else.

It would be literally impossible to undo every act of territorial theft perpetrated over the course of human history. Thus, as a matter of practical necessity, I tend to prefer a certain degree of "statue of limitations" to use another legal analogy, where at some point you just have to recognize that what's done is done, and ask how we can make a more equitable world going forward (I feel much the same way about, say, Quebec or Scotland trying to secede from countries that took them over several centuries ago).

Now, you may say that the conquest of the Americans is recent enough, and the consequences of it on the conquered still pervasive enough, for such a statute of limitations not to apply. You would probably be right to an extent. Nor am I blind to the fact that such "statues of limitations" favor the descendants of the conqueror to an extent, and thus may be unacceptable to many of the descendants of the conquered. I certainly feel that some compensation for past and ongoing wrongs is due. To that end, since dismantling the governments of North America and returning all of the land is probably political infeasible however good our intentions may be, I favor financial compensation, plus perhaps returning some pieces of land where practical (especially those of particular cultural significance to indigenous peoples).

But I also know that its not my place or anyone else's to unilaterally impose such a solution- it would have to be fairly negotiated, and negotiation requires willingness by all parties to come to the table with an open mind, and compromise.
There's no attempt to erase the past here. The question is more how can we imagine the obligation we owe to the victims. Before we can understand reparation/restitution we have understand the gravity of the crime.
Agreed, but see above.
Sure, I can buy that. I think one of the preconceptions that needs to be undone then is the idea that because I was born here I'm somehow not a participant in the crimes that need to be undone.
I'm very wary of adopting an idea of collective racial guilt (or collective guilt of any kind). I would not hold someone born today responsible for historic acts theft, slavery, rape, genocide, etc.

If they try to ignore or excuse those acts, or refuse to address injustices today, however (and most people do to some extent, if often unwittingly), then they become culpable for those acts. And most everyone IS responsible for possession of stolen property, at the very least- and thus have an obligation either to return the property, or, if that is not possible, to refund its original possessors.
Also, the legitimacy of the United States as an entity. Some framing needs to exist for this to happen, answers to those questions are important.
Weather the United States SHOULD exist is in my opinion largely academic. Its existence is a fait accompli, not likely to be undone except at a cost of tremendous violence, chaos, and bloodshed of the innocent, and I pray that that day may never come in my lifetime (unless it is by peaceful and voluntary admission into a larger nation).

This is my point about trying to improve the present rather than change the past. While the question of weather the US should exist is an important moral and philosophical one, well-worth understanding if we are to understand the issues we are trying to address, as a practical matter, its far more useful to ask "How can the US address these issues, now that its here?"
If that's true, that's fine. But the United States was actively drawn on racial lines. Paul Frymer's recent book "Building an American Empire" is really good on this, as are many other books. The entire point of the United States was that it was a White nation taking over land that belonged to it because of this racial lines. If you believe that's true then one the direct consequences is that maybe the Nation of the United States ought not exist.
Not in its current form, at any rate- sure.

But one must also be sure to distinguish clearly between theory, and practice.
That's part of the problem. Imagine Congress saying it maybe shouldn't exist? Idk. That's a rough beat to walk. But discussions like this are important, they help to bring these concerns forward in the popular consciousness.
Agreed.
That's a good start. I don't disagree.
Its a beginning, anyway.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sure. Shitheads gonna be shitheads. Shitheads are shitheads about everything. Do we allow shitheads who try and shut conversations down because they have the degree in Economics to ruin all discussions about Economics or make it somehow improper to discuss Economics? No, we don't. We just laugh and go 'nah, fuck you' and keep trucking. This is no different.

You'll also find, if you look further, that there's plenty of people having conversations about Whiteness without that dynamic. Frothing tumblrites and moron article authors are the lunatic fringe, not the core. You'll find people trying to peg down working definitions of Whiteness - maybe with the aid of a degree in White studies or racial studies - to have meaningful debates about, not just going 'lalala can't hear you i just mean whites should stop being oppressive'.
My honest objection is that I feel as though the frothing idiots have outrun the core to such an extent that it's made the public discussion toxic on this issue.

I guess part of why I'm writing this post is because I'm hoping you'll be comfortable saying "yes, the assholes abusing this terminology, the ease with which this terminology lends itself to equivocation, and the way the ambiguity of these terms makes it easy to trigger more racial tension in a discussion than would otherwise need to exist, are serious problems."

Because I feel that they are becoming a problem.

I don't mind talking about oppressive power structures, but I'd honestly rather do so with terminology I can look at and seriously believe is neutral.
loomer wrote: 2018-02-08 09:06pmNow also take a moment to consider the people who, for years, unironically advanced Chris Rock's famous line 'I don't hate black people, I hate Niggers'. Consider the various people who speak loudly against AAVE and other expressions of Blackness as being inappropriate or degrading or whatever terminology. People have been saying 'black people are fine, Blackness isn't' for decades. The only difference is they haven't used that exact wording, and while some - our not so ardent Chris Rock fans - are laughed out of the room, this board has seen serious debate over whether AAVE is a dialect or just 'bad english'.
Nevertheless, someone who phrases an anti-"Blackness" article in the same tone as the column from the Texas State newspaper would deserve to be run out of the discourse on a rail. Which ties into the core of my objection...
Sure, but to make it clear - I'm not discussing the article. I have zero interest in discussing the article, because it's a shitty article. That's self evident and well established. What I am interested in is discussing the utility generally of Whiteness and Blackness as constructs, and part of that is establishing that most people with a clue (unlike the article's author; that with a clue is an important qualifier) who say 'down with Whiteness' or even 'down with White people' do not mean genocide, they mean dismantling the harmful elements of Whiteness. Some are more pessimistic than others and don't think you can excise the bad without killing the rest, but ultimately, very few actual scholars and academics are calling for Genocide no matter what fucking morons wind up posting.
My big concern is that as long as "Whiteness" and "Blackness" continue to be defined and defended as the terms they are, in the fashion they now are, they provide covering fire for the kind of views that don't belong in the discussion.

The shitty article that should be dismissed as shitty? It gets an aegis of extra protection and dignification and apologism because the academic custom of saying "White people need to end" or whatever as a nice explosive variation on "oppression is bad, yo." As a consequence, it becomes more and more difficult to draw a line between hate speech and reasonable anti-oppression speech, easier and easier to equivocate between the two. The entire conversation trends more and more towards the "Tower of Babel" end of the spectrum I mentioned earlier: a breakdown in coordination and communication, leading to mutual hostility and collective self-destruction, caused by a lack of clear language and mutual understanding.

I find this very frustrating, and appreciate that you're partially willing to acknowledge it rather than just shrugging the issue off as some do.
Again - not discussing the article, not interested in doing so. I broadly agree, but I also think that you can say 'Whiteness (or Blackness, or any ideology or construct for that matter) needs to die' without saying 'People with white skin need to die', because the two are distinct when the terms are being used correctly.
That entire construction has far too much potential to be violently misunderstood, or said by violent assholes to mean one thing while others breezily reassure the public that it didn't literally mean that people need to die. Why not just find another way to say the same thing?

"Institutionalized white supremacy needs to end" is far less provocative, and much clearer about what one is trying to talk about, than "Whiteness."
Furthermore, there's not even a clear list of which cultural practices are "Whiteness things" as opposed to "things white people happen to be doing a lot." ...

No disagreement there, but I suggest you look at the work of academics for your actual definitions of what aspects of American, German, English etc culture constitute Whiteness. You won't find, say, DnD on that list or Mozart. A fairly major aspect of the critique is actually that there is no one White culture, because White is an artificial construct crudely stapling disparate European and American cultures together using opposition to not-White as its primary identifier. The terminology can be messy, but essentially, Mozart is not White culture - Mozart is Austrian culture.
Again, the choice of term creates problems, especially when a word that can apparently only be clearly understood through long conversations and/or reading long academic books starts getting used by the general public.

My complaint is that the way this particular academic treatment of this concept is structured is such that it creates and promotes misunderstanding, dissension, and a breakdown of attempts to promote interracial solidarity, support, and justice. Especially when someone swings through making claims that blur the line between "Whiteness as in institutionalized bland white supremacy needs to stop being what it is" and "let's do some ethnic cleansing, it's only fair!"
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Because people think White is an intrinsic trait.

Also, if you go back a ton of people are responding negatively to the "I hate you" part of the original article. Which is part of the reason I'm pushing hard as I am.
Alkaloid wrote: 2018-02-08 07:51am
Straha wrote: 2018-02-07 02:15pm There are certainly other people who would be better suited than I to discuss Australian Indegenous culture and the way colonization has effected it. I think there is something about the... rootlessness, perhaps, of Black culture in America that makes it appeal to listless teenagers across cultures...
I'm not trying to paint it as a specifically American issue, more questioning whether it's useful to paint "White American/British/Australian/New Zealand" etc cultures as the same White culture, rather than related but distinct ones. Particularly in the less populous Anglosphere nations where the feeling of being culturally under siege is potentially a very useful tool for changing mindsets around the issue.

I think there are certain things that are universal across the notion of Whiteness, specifically access to land and a privileged status compared to other groups. You're right that there are particularities but that doesn't change the structures in question.
This thread is a perfect example. It started because of an article, that, by your read is technically correct and inoffensive to someone who understands the terminology and context it's being used in. S_J is usually a pretty reasonable guy, but right now he's feeling unsettled and attacked by it, and we're five pages into a thread with you trying to explain it to him. If he were a kid on the campus where it was published, and you were more interested in nudging S_J toward the alt right than you were in engaging him you could barely have created a better tool for the job, not because the article is incorrect but because it is far to easy to reframe for your purpose. Doing that would be dishonest bullshit, sure, but it would work.
So a few things:

1. I know from experience that people do respond to this positively on campuses, having worked at college campuses which were filled with vibrant discourse around these issues. Believe it or not an academically cloistered environment is far more conducive to self-reflection on these issues than 'the real world' where paychecks and a lack of intellectual exercise make people far more receptive to the idea of keeping your head down, accepting the status quo, and just muddling through. I've also worked with white high schoolers who deal with these questions in a far more combative environment but who still respond super positively to these questions and most of whom agree, after reflection, with the analysis being offered by people like the original author of the article, Wilderson, native writers like Vine Deloria, and/or others. Their conclusions are often different and varied, which is fair, but they consider these questions with rigor and respect. Something the article didn't get here, from its editor, or from the blowback it received.

2. The call to appeal to white moderates is a sisyphean task. The conversation is usually the same, it happened here and it happens just about every time:

Protester: We have issues with the structure of society that we want to see changed.
Moderate: Okay, can we do that without upsetting upsetting anyone?
Protester: No, not really. We need to improve and that means things to change.
Moderate: Well, until you can come up with something that most of the country can support you're not really trying.
Protester: But most of the country will be against change and benefit from this. It's wrong for them to do so and we need to fix that.
Moderate: That sounds offensive, if you keep this up we'll have to call the police on you. And, well, we tried to be reasonable with you.

Put bluntly, I don't think someone who is committed to moderation can be brought on board. People who are committed to the status quo or to only consider incremental and popular change are always going to be opposed to systemic reform necessary to really challenge societal problems. If we want to change minds it has to be coupled with radical truth. Not only does it kick the Overton Window the way it needs to go but it's only by exposure to the actual demand that people will listen.

3. I want to make this clear, the thesis that we have to tailor an appeal to the egos of the majority of whites for fear of non-progress and backlash is the logic of the abuser and factually false. The notion of "Yes, you may be in a bad position now but if you try and change it I/we will make it worse for you." is the same thing gets told to battered spouses. When someone says that it shouldn't be followed by paragraphs of explanation of 'There's a difference a black eye and a broken hand and those differences matter and I just think one is better than the other, and so would most people' it should be 'holy fuck, what did I just say? There's something fucking wrong with our society.'

Also, historically, there has never been popular support for any moderating initiative. From the American Civil War down through Civil Rights the majority of White folk opposed every change. The changes that were wrought came either from leaders who were exposed to these ideas and were willing to lead away from their base (Grant during Reconstruction, Eisenhower and LBJ during the Civil Rights era) or came via mass protest that forced action from the powers-that-be (MLK and boycotts, the Black Panthers and school meals, etc.) As such it only makes sense to maintain the radical scope of demands and not moderate them.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-08 03:20pm

Straha wrote: 2018-02-03 02:47am
If I said comparable things about Latinos and posted them on this website I would expect to be banned from this website. If I published them in any newspaper anywhere in America I would expect to get in grave trouble. I hope I would lose my job.
Again, I want to make this super clear. Notions of race are not equivocal, to try and make race a variable where you can simply swap around names seemingly at random misses out on the entirety of how race works as an ideology and how racism operates.

This is important. White was never a race before people showed up in North America and Africa and started taking other peoples’ land, and other people, for their own. And, importantly, White operates separately from notions that can be better understood as historical race and nationality i.e. categories like Irish, German, Swedish, etc. White was, and is, a marker for acceptability and was used legally and culturally in contradistinction to things that were both also ahistorical constructs and which never should have been races in the first place: Native (think about it: without the notion of a colonist what sense does a notion of “Native” make?) or Black (see: our discussion earlier.)

Most people realize this at a gut-level: This is why movements like “Black Pride” or “Irish Pride” are celebrated but “White Pride” is a symbol of hate and exclusion.

(This is also why the call for the ontological death of Whiteness is important. The author is saying nobody should be able to be white anymore.)
You wrote:If I called blacks abominations in an op-ed, I would deserve to be fired from any newspaper in the country. Insofar as I would not be, then that is a newspaper to which I will never subscribe, and whose deranged frothings I will ignore.

See the top. But simply Black=/=White. To swap the two is to ignore their meaning.

Speaking of consistency, btw, let’s maybe try this out to get this across:

There were a bunch of threads in days gone past where I talked about how speciesist violence is bad. How violence targeted against non-humans can be allowed to justify violence writ large against humans.

The response from just about everyone else was “Animal and human can’t be swapped around like this. They’re just plain different.” That concept applies, and actually works, here. White was used to distinguish what was part of the humanist enlightenment project. Black (and native) is a category that was not. To pretend the two can be simply swapped is nonsensical.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-02-06 05:35pm
Straha wrote: 2018-02-06 01:05am Paul Frymer makes the argument pretty powerfully that while certain communities may have been seen through suspect eyes by White people already in the United States legally and nationally they were still viewed as White and were afforded opportunities and protections thereof. For him, and for others, the internecine fights inside Whiteness were often skirmishes around economic claims (access to neighborhoods and jobs) and not structural antagonisms that define the Settler-Colonial process. That's why when those economic pressures alleviated on the Italians and Irish those issues receded from popular consciousness while Black ghettoes and anti-Black policing never went away.
Under this model, what then is the precise definition of "whiteness"? On its face, it seems dangerously close to a No True Scotsman fallacy, where the construct is redefined to fit the hypothesis. I admit I'm not overly familiar with Paul Frymer's work so I apologize if I misinterpret his words, but it seems to me that a lot of his theories around the intersections of land policy and race during the westward expansion of the United States actually support my interpretation more than yours ... though I'll return to that point in a second.
The simplest definition for me is that Whiteness is the structural position occupied in law and society by the Settler-Colonist. That is to say, the structural position of someone whose economic claims to land trump any historical claim. In the United States that position is tied to a construction of skin color.

I'm honestly not sure why you think this is a No True Scotsman? Internecine struggles inside groups happen all the time. The fact that Medieval Nobles feuded with each other doesn't mean that nobility didn't exist. Similarly the fact that Germans, Irish, Scots, and Italians fought with each other inside the notion of whiteness doesn't mean that they weren't all white.
What historical shifts are you referring to, specifically? It seems to me that the 20th century has seen a productive trend in Whiteness' fluidity, even if a relatively moderate one. One can readily acknowledge the oppressive structures inherent in, say, the Reservation system while still acknowledging that it is less pernicious than the outright genocide that had previously been the norm. One can acknowledge the great advances of the Civil RIghts Movement while also still acknowledging that anti-black racism is still a major problem.
I don't think there have been great advances in the Civil Rights movement. I think there have been contingent advances, specific openings of opportunity but that as a whole progress is illusory, at best. I've posted in various sites around this thread links about how school segregation has gotten worse and is roughly around the 1960s and trending badly. Voting access and rights have similar problems. Wealth and earnings are disasters especially over the last ten years. And in many ways things have gotten worse for instance with the criminal justice system.

In this light the notion of White people congratulating themselves (ahistorically) for things like the CRM is a deflection, it's a way to say "That was a different group of White people so I don't need to be responsible for that, and we've done our bit so we don't need to do more.

Further, this line of reasoning is still making the implicit assumption that Whiteness is a structural force with agency, rather than an emergent property of a more complicated cultural and economic system as I had alluded to in my previous post. To return to the Irish/Italian example, why would we a priori assume that their shift in status was due to a pernicious attempt by Whiteness to further its own interests rather than the natural evolution of the construct in response to changes in the underlying cultural/economic system?

A. Because I do think that the structure determines agency.

B. Because I don't think the Irish/Italians were ever on the outside. I don't think there are strong historical examples of Whiteness inside the United States ever offering inclusion towards non-white groups that tried to be assimilated. If you want examples historically the Cherokee, with a written constitution and slaves, show how even people who did everything they could to be White were ignored or just research any of the writings on the construction of Model Minorities to see how it plays out with modern Asian groups.

Straha wrote: 2018-02-06 01:05am I may be a Wobbly but I don't buy that.
Regardless of whether or not you buy it, are you at least familiar with the basic argument? It's not a perfect model by any means, nor am I endorsing it as the "correct" one, but it's still a valid and well-discussed one.
I know about it as a field of inquiry. If you want to defend that as a model we can have that discussion, but it doesn't seem like you are?
Straha wrote: 2018-02-06 01:05am Why should we? What good is there in the concept of Whiteness that we ought preserve?

For example, a very unprincipled way to define "whiteness" is as an umbrella term for every bad thing that currently exists in American society, regardless of the specific mechanisms that give rise to those things. If you define "whiteness" that broadly, it becomes useless to talk about preservation or destruction of the construct, because it ignores the basic fact that there will always be bad elements of society just due to the inherent nature of how such structures operate (unless we move the discussion to technological singularity and post-scarcity, but that's clearly making a completely different type of argument). That definition has absolutely no use, even academically; it's so broad that all you are doing is arguing semantics over whether we call bad things "bad things" or "white things", and telling everyone that we should destroy "bad things" isn't exactly a coherent philosophy.
You did a nice straw-man move without actually answering the question. If you want to defend Whiteness as potentially productive you need to demarcate what is uniquely good about it that should be defended. It's not my job to find that for you, if you're going to stake that out as an opposing position to mine you have to offer some sort of clash here. So, what do you think we should preserve about Whiteness?

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Straha wrote:Why should we? What good is there in the concept of Whiteness that we ought preserve?
I have been trying to avoid chipping in because Straha is already severely outnumbered, but the fact nobody is willing to answer this question head-on is infuriating to me.

Ask a privileged white person such as myself what white culture contributed to the world and the most important parts are:

Democracy (least worst political system)
Capitalism (least worst economic system)
The rule of law
The scientific method

There are certainly other cultures that embrace these ideals, but this combination is what led to European supremacy in the first place.

If you can define the Whiteness that deserves to be eliminated as not also eliminating the above, we will have a very different conversation.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

OK. This thread is becoming insane. The reply splitting is too much, and the dogpile is WAY the hell too much for either Straha or Simon to realistically keep up with while having a good debate.

So... insofar as the discussion of Whiteness And What To Do About It is concerned, that argument is theirs. I am invoking the dogpile prohibition effective immediately. Straha and Simon, if there is an argument used thus far by someone on your side or an interesting question, feel free to use and attribute it if posted up until this point. However, don't use linked quotes, attribute in text. This avoids notification spam and doesn't make people feel pressured to respond.

Also, Kane Starkiller, put your racism back in the closet where it belongs. Preferably so deep it's having tea with Mr. Thomnas. Thanks.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Okay. Just in the interests of 'pruning' the discussion to something viable, I would like to summarize my position:

1) That CLEARLY fairness demands all manner of accommodations and structural changes to race relations in America, a list of such would be exhaustive and prone to endless quibbling. A representative example of what I think of when I say this is my suggestion that the federal government grant all Native Americans of sufficient 'consanguinity' (the proper term escapes me) a permanent guaranteed minimum income benchmarked to the income enjoyed by the 75th percentile of whites. This is well outside the American Overton window, but to me it comes across as simple fairness. My idea of suitable reparations for blacks is comparable but less generous. Mainly because I suspect the economy would literally collapse for everyone if a minority as numerically large as "all black people" received that high of a guaranteed minimum income, not so much because I think it would be fundamentally unfair to institute it. Exact numbers may be, again, subject to debate but would be a TOTAL RED HERRING in the context of this discussion. As would pointing out "but pouring on the money wouldn't fix police abuses" or some other such point. I'm not trying to propose a panacea even if I think this proposal would really help. I'm just trying to communicate that my actual standards of what would constitute social justice on racial issues in America are pretty far from the median viewpoint of American whites.

2) Despite this, I am strongly opposed to any behavior that I view as an attempt to break discourse, break conversations, or destroy spaces in which productive conversations can be had about racial issues. Even if such behavior is carried out in the name of minorities, and doubly so if such behavior is carried out in the name of the established and dominant majority. This is not about appeasing my ego, or satisfying my desire to avoid social disruption (see (1)). It is about not failing. Attaining racial justice is literally impossible if there are not spaces where people with different positions on the spectrum of race-issue opinion can meet, discuss, and move each other along the spectrum a bit.

3) Pursuant to (2), it may be necessary to establish norms that permit the spaces in question to exist, since they will not reliably survive without some degree of rule-enforcement. Sometimes these rules may need to be unequal in the name of fairness, while at other times they may need to be unfair in the name of equality. Because both fairness and equality are important traits in a space that people can safely use for discussion. A space that gives you perfect freedom to scream insults may seem fair to you, but will be useless to you if your goal is to discuss your needs with other people, because people who don't already agree with you won't bother to stick their heads in the door of such a space, inasmuch as they have no incentive to do so.

4) Also pursuant to (2), any person who adopts a nihilistic stance of "discourse is useless, there can never be peace or justice" is being massively and gratuitously destructive, unless their explicit goal is to make their own stance into a self-fulfilling prophecy and trigger a race war. The literal, millions of dead people kind. Furthermore, literal, millions-dead wars tend to be won by the side with more bullets and more shooters to fire those bullets. God being famously quick to side with the big battalions, a literal war is not in the interests of the racial minority of any given society, or in the interests of anyone in the society who thinks the racial minorities deserve a BETTER set of outcomes, as opposed to a worse set of outcomes.

5) Pursuant to (2) through (4), I would argue that the desire to make "strong" calls for sweeping changes to the American social system in the name of racial justice (e.g. (1)) is NOT served by being willfully disruptive or destructive of other people's ability and willingness to accept certain rules of order and openness to discussion. Or by defending others who do so.

We can propose ambitious social changes without scheduling a Two Minutes' Hate, and scheduling a Two Minutes' Hate is unlikely to result in ambitious social changes.

We can take decisive and strong actions (general strikes, boycotts, mass protests) without telling people we hate them or saying things easily confused for "and we think you should all die." Conversely, we can impotently rage and say we think people should die, while having effectively no power to actually reshape society along the lines we desire, except by coincidentally piggybacking on a more successful and less powerless mass movement.

It is a fallacy to collapse all the dimensions of social action and protest and so on into a single dimension of 'strength' and assume that 'stronger' actions are inherently superior to 'weaker' ones regardless of which of the several kinds of 'strength' we're talking about.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Alkaloid wrote: 2018-02-08 07:51am
Soontir C'boath wrote: 2018-02-06 01:15pm It is interesting that you bring up Antifa, because they are a fantastic example of how the opposition can disingenuously label them falsely. They are not a violent group, but they have certainly been played up as being as such in the media which does furthers your point that the left cannot allow their movements to be distorted, but in the end, they are whether they tip toe or not. This has already been done with BLM as well and why we have Blue Lives Matter.
I'd argue that knowing certain groups like antifa are going to be targets for this sort of distortion, it becomes much more important to be careful in what is said about them. I'd even go so far as to say that the statement "they are not a violent group" is potentially damaging, because while not all of what they do is violent and violence is not their goal, some of what they do is inherently violent. It would be very easy to present "they aren't violent" with an image of antifa engaged in violent activities, and then hare off into "lying leftists lying about antifa being pacifists to trick you". That can then be used to discredit antifa and anything else you say now that you've been successfully branded a liar.
You are asking for a standard that is impossible to uphold, unfortunately, as again you are asking people to tip toe and play into the hands of opponents or undecided folks for that matter who would seek to belittle for what a small part of the group is for. Might as well ask every black person to be the token black guy. I understand where you are coming from though as I was in a discussion where even one KKK leader who supports Hillary is taken to mean that the KKK is strong in the Democratic party. What we however need to do is understand that it is an overgeneralization that must not be accepted.

Now before Simon and TRR comes in and say AHA given the similarities of our previous arguments, there are significant differences in the platform and scope of groups like Antifa and BLM and the actual impactful decisions the Democratic Party make that frankly goes against their values.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My view is, if you do anything important, people are going to have incentives to lie about you.

It's pointless to worry about what happens if/when people lie about you, except that you will respond by telling the truth. Will it work? Sometimes, to an extent. Not always. As Lincoln put it, "you can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." We could equally well reverse the 'but' there.

The thing is, what do people say about you when they aren't lying? When they aren't deliberately misrepresenting you? When, at worst, they are guilty of misunderstanding, or "being kind of unfair," or something vague like that?

I believe that I shouldn't give honest people any compelling, specific reasons to think I'm one of the baddies.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-12 11:18am 1) A representative example of what I think of when I say this is my suggestion that the federal government grant all Native Americans of sufficient 'consanguinity' (the proper term escapes me) a permanent guaranteed minimum income benchmarked to the income enjoyed by the 75th percentile of whites. This is well outside the American Overton window, but to me it comes across as simple fairness. My idea of suitable reparations for blacks is comparable but less generous. Mainly because I suspect the economy would literally collapse for everyone if a minority as numerically large as "all black people" received that high of a guaranteed minimum income, not so much because I think it would be fundamentally unfair to institute it.
This point is largely irrelevant. Whatever your stances are on proper methods of reparations for societal harms it doesn’t either win the larger framing questions of how society functions or that the original article was wrong. But I’ll discuss a few things here:

First, you do exactly what Frank Wilderson critiques. The moment serious reparations to Black people are discussed the question is always short-circuited by issues of supposed equity or practicality. Bullshit that there isn't a way to give every black person a comfortable and secure life. They built this country, literally on their backs, while being under-compensated and uncompensated for their labor. They are owed it, it might suck for White folk and take a little while but recompensation can be arranged.

Second, none of this handles to the framing arguments I made above. Every push for Black people in this country has met with monstrous opposition. The only one that actually worked for any length time involved one half of the country physically occupying the other half with armed soldiers and disenfranchising the majority of the local white populace. Without fixing that pushback there’s no way this ends well for the Black community (see how Welfare and Affirmative Action have both been used to actively erode Black access to aid and education). There has to be something more than just “Here’s cash.”

Third, I think you’re in a double-bind here with your arguments re: taking the White majority into consideration when making demands. The White Majority will despise this. If this is a good normative demand then we really don’t need to consider what they want which begs all sorts of other questions, if this should be weighed by the White Majority before being promulgated then we’re back to square one.

Don’t get me wrong, these demands aren’t necessarily bad but they can’t be made alone, it has to be part of mosaic of broader reform.
I'm just trying to communicate that my actual standards of what would constitute social justice on racial issues in America are pretty far from the median viewpoint of American whites.
Good. That’s a start.
2) Despite this, I am strongly opposed to any behavior that I view as an attempt to break discourse, break conversations, or destroy spaces in which productive conversations can be had about racial issues. Even if such behavior is carried out in the name of minorities, and doubly so if such behavior is carried out in the name of the established and dominant majority. This is not about appeasing my ego, or satisfying my desire to avoid social disruption (see (1)). It is about not failing. Attaining racial justice is literally impossible if there are not spaces where people with different positions on the spectrum of race-issue opinion can meet, discuss, and move each other along the spectrum a bit.
A. Even if this is true, you haven’t won that this particular call from Rudy Martinez should be policed out, or even that the call itself is wrong. Those are a prioris before we even get to your argument because if what they’re calling for is right then this is all a non-starter.

B. You also haven’t answered the discussion I (and others) have made about how this gets policed unevenly and resolutely in favor of the dominant White majority. My posts discuss this with some large scale societal examples and nuance above, but I’m actually going to focus on this particular thread as an example of how this goes down:

In this thread we saw two people make some pretty fucking incendiary claims. Kane ran through dogwhistle bingo about Black people and got told off days later in an incredibly mild manner. Meanwhile FaxModem came out an explicitly said, and then defended, that colonial violence and chattel slavery were good for humanity and part of the “melting pot” experience. And nobody else said a thing.

The mod response (in a public space) was to call it “dumb… [but he didn’t] actually come out and say it” and that’s that. This is how policing works culturally: Calling colonial violence good is allowed while saying ‘the categories that create the possibility of colonial violence and sustain it to the present should be destroyed’ is condemned and the author punished to public adulation. That’s fucked up. It's also incredibly normal (hell, the fact that it was recognized at all by mods is probably better than 'the Real World').

As long as you're allowing for society that looks something like the squo to do the policing then there's no way around this inherent inequity.

(And, really, if the argument is dumb ideas need to be circulated, discussed, and shot down that’s fair. But then this thread itself is unnecessary and Rudy Martinez shouldn’t have been fired.)

3) Pursuant to (2), it may be necessary to establish norms that permit the spaces in question to exist, since they will not reliably survive without some degree of rule-enforcement. Sometimes these rules may need to be unequal in the name of fairness, while at other times they may need to be unfair in the name of equality. Because both fairness and equality are important traits in a space that people can safely use for discussion. A space that gives you perfect freedom to scream insults may seem fair to you, but will be useless to you if your goal is to discuss your needs with other people, because people who don't already agree with you won't bother to stick their heads in the door of such a space, inasmuch as they have no incentive to do so.
This is answered above both in this post and the thread. To be somewhat technical:

I am impact turning your vision of fairness as being incredibly violent towards minority subjects and making the argument that your vision of fairness precludes any progress towards true equality which can only be accessed by attacking norms around society, culture, and the state.
4) Also pursuant to (2), any person who adopts a nihilistic stance of "discourse is useless, there can never be peace or justice" is being massively and gratuitously destructive, unless their explicit goal is to make their own stance into a self-fulfilling prophecy and trigger a race war. The literal, millions of dead people kind. Furthermore, literal, millions-dead wars tend to be won by the side with more bullets and more shooters to fire those bullets. God being famously quick to side with the big battalions, a literal war is not in the interests of the racial minority of any given society, or in the interests of anyone in the society who thinks the racial minorities deserve a BETTER set of outcomes, as opposed to a worse set of outcomes.
This requires that you win that true progress is possible without radical structural shifts. There are plenty of links above where I make the argument that it’s not with statistics. It also requires you to win that there isn’t already a race war ongoing against Black people, an argument also made above at some length. Finally, you need to win that liberal pushes like the kind you’re outlining won’t trigger violent backlash from Whites, something that has happened consistently throughout the last two hundred and fifty years of American history.
5) Pursuant to (2) through (4), I would argue that the desire to make "strong" calls for sweeping changes to the American social system in the name of racial justice (e.g. (1)) is NOT served by being willfully disruptive or destructive of other people's ability and willingness to accept certain rules of order and openness to discussion. Or by defending others who do so.
See above.
We can take decisive and strong actions (general strikes, boycotts, mass protests) without telling people we hate them or saying things easily confused for "and we think you should all die." Conversely, we can impotently rage and say we think people should die, while having effectively no power to actually reshape society along the lines we desire, except by coincidentally piggybacking on a more successful and less powerless mass movement.
A few responses:

1. I don’t know how many times this needs to be said before it clicks but nothing in the original post called for anyone’s actual death. It called for Ontological Death. This has been hashed and rehashed at least half-a-dozen times in this thread. To say that the original article called for any actual violence is, at best, intellectually dishonest and straight up misleading at worst. I can cut people slack for a kneejerk response when they don’t know better, but this is page six of a thread where this has been discussed at length.

2. General strikes, boycotts, and mass protests have all been cast as dire threats to Middle Class existence. Remember, the Swat teams got called out to boot the Occupy movement out of public spaces which is the last we even got close to a ‘general strike’. But, there’s a more telling point here. You’re describing class mobilization. Class mobilization worked from the 1890s until the 1970s. But historically it only worked for White People. Class mobilization didn’t include Black people because they weren’t seen as being part of the same class as white folk.

Unions, perhaps, tell the best tale here. The unions that prospered and survived were almost all segregated, and the corner-stone unions of the AFL and CIO were explicitly racist until the 60s. By contrast the Unions that tried to work across racial lines, like the ARU and the IWW, were violently repressed by the government and other unions.

I’m also going to crib from Knocking on Labor’s Door by Lane Windham (which, I’ll admit, I’ve skimmed and not read in full yet), because it’s also telling that union organization and activism was strong well into the 1970s. But that the decline in Union organizing and membership occurs almost simultaneously with the integration of Unions after the Civil Rights movement coupled with the use of union busting tactics by companies around tactics of racial antagonism. In other words, once Black people get into the union White folks fled them.

Similarly, when Unions and other class organizers had their hands on the levers of power during the New Deal they went out of their way to screw over Black people through selective building and employment practices, and isolating economic aid through processes like red-lining.

3. Which brings me, I think, to the larger point here. What you offer in this discussion is implicitly a vision of the structure of society. What you’re saying, in effect, is that Anti-Black violence is a by-product of the structures of society and is not necessarily intrinsic to them. In other words, that Anti-Black violence is a bug, not a feature, that can be troubleshot and gotten rid of. You’ve given class, money, and the Law as ways to resolve this. Here’s the thing:

If Class is the nexus of antagonism for structural oppression then Unions should have been more than willing to include more workers inside themselves to have greater leverage over the ownership class. They weren’t. When organized the White poor did everything the could to keep Black people out to the point of Salting the Earth in the South by literally shutting down public schools rather than integrating them.

Similarly, if American culture is benignly capitalist (a contradiction in terms but run with it) then the idea of a permanent underclass of undereducated poor citizens who live in prime sites of commercial exposure should be anathema. Everyone would be an un-tapped potential worker and consumer who should be educated for explicitly self-serving reasons (to give more labor access, lowering costs, and to offer a larger market for exploitation.) Yet, the money does not flow and even when it is gained it can be destroyed without consequence, something unthinkable for the White middle class.

Finally, If the United States is a country based on upholding the Law then it should never have allowed the taking of Native Lands done in contravention to the constitution because to do so would threaten its very raison d’etre. Yet it did. Happily. It also allowed for blatantly illegal and unconstitutional violence to be committed against Black people again and again and again all the way down to the present.

If the structures of money, class, and law don’t offer a path forward for Black people but historically did for other groups like Irish immigrants and White women the question becomes: Why not?

The best explanation offered here, and academically, is the notion of Whiteness as a foundation for how society structures and values itself and inexorably tied to Blackness as a category which is always a legitimate target for gratuitous violence. I’m not going to reinvent the wheel here because all of this has been explained at some length in the past four pages. The end result, if that’s true, is that for progress to actually be feasible and attainable we have to make the destruction of Whiteness a societal goal. Hence the op-ed.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Straha wrote: 2018-02-13 04:13am The mod response (in a public space) was to call it “dumb… [but he didn’t] actually come out and say it” and that’s that. This is how policing works culturally: Calling colonial violence good is allowed while saying ‘the categories that create the possibility of colonial violence and sustain it to the present should be destroyed’ is condemned and the author punished to public adulation. That’s fucked up. It's also incredibly normal (hell, the fact that it was recognized at all by mods is probably better than 'the Real World').
I would appreciate if you could not rope the mods into this as some part of widespread effort to defend white power structures, especially considering a) some mods have recused themselves due to being involved in the debate, b) most mods are not even american and c) The idea of an international forum being reflective of discourse in the USA is not particularly accurate.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In the interests of even being able to track all the threads of counterargument you're advancing here, I'm going to start numbering them.
Straha wrote: 2018-02-13 04:13am
Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-12 11:18am 1) A representative example of what I think of when I say this is my suggestion that the federal government grant all Native Americans of sufficient 'consanguinity' (the proper term escapes me) a permanent guaranteed minimum income benchmarked to the income enjoyed by the 75th percentile of whites. This is well outside the American Overton window, but to me it comes across as simple fairness. My idea of suitable reparations for blacks is comparable but less generous. Mainly because I suspect the economy would literally collapse for everyone if a minority as numerically large as "all black people" received that high of a guaranteed minimum income, not so much because I think it would be fundamentally unfair to institute it.
1.1 First, you do exactly what Frank Wilderson critiques. The moment serious reparations to Black people are discussed the question is always short-circuited by issues of supposed equity or practicality. Bullshit that there isn't a way to give every black person a comfortable and secure life. They built this country, literally on their backs, while being under-compensated and uncompensated for their labor. They are owed it, it might suck for White folk and take a little while but recompensation can be arranged.

1.2 Second, none of this handles to the framing arguments I made above. Every push for Black people in this country has met with monstrous opposition. The only one that actually worked for any length time involved one half of the country physically occupying the other half with armed soldiers and disenfranchising the majority of the local white populace. Without fixing that pushback there’s no way this ends well for the Black community (see how Welfare and Affirmative Action have both been used to actively erode Black access to aid and education). There has to be something more than just “Here’s cash.”

1.3 Third, I think you’re in a double-bind here with your arguments re: taking the White majority into consideration when making demands. The White Majority will despise this. If this is a good normative demand then we really don’t need to consider what they want which begs all sorts of other questions, if this should be weighed by the White Majority before being promulgated then we’re back to square one.

Don’t get me wrong, these demands aren’t necessarily bad but they can’t be made alone, it has to be part of mosaic of broader reform.
1.1.1 In regards to 1.1, yes I consider not collapsing the entire national economy to be a priority. I have no problem with milking the system for all that it's worth to make things fair and promote a just and living future. I do have a problem with eating the seed corn. As far as I can determine, you're willing to treat objections like "doing this would be eating the seed corn" as evidence that the speaker is insufficiently committed to racial justice. I think that's a terrible position to stake out, not least because it means that if you ever won, you'd be very likely to make things much worse, then smile and declare victory because the system is no longer ruled by the old oppressors, but rather by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. In the extreme limiting case this leads to outcomes like Pol Pot's Year Zero, in which the nation is taken over by an ideological movement committed to collective self-destruction in the name of 'purifying' the designated oppressors and evildoers and everyone like them.

1.2.1 In regards to 1.2, I explicitly stated that "... pointing out "but pouring on the money wouldn't fix police abuses" or some other such point [would be a red herring]. I'm not trying to propose a panacea even if I think this proposal would really help..." For some unfathomable reason, you left that out of your quote boxes. Like it or not, all statements have some finite length and there is a limit on how much can be packed into any one of them. No matter how many examples I list or changes I propose, you will always have the opportunity to say "well, what about X, you haven't mentioned X, so obviously you don't really care!" When the other party has explicitly said "no, this isn't literally everything that needs fixing, it's an example and illustration of the fact THAT I genuinely think things need fixing," for you to behave this way comes across as more than a little bit disingenuous.

1.3.1 In regards to 1.3, my point here is simple: I support a great deal of reform and change. I also believe that for any of this reform and change to EVER happen, certain conditions have to be met. They must be met for these results to happen even in some hypothetical golden future centuries from now, let alone within our lifetime. Among those conditions, safe spaces for people with different opinions to communicate with one another must exist and be cultivated. Modes of communication that permit people to move and persuade each other must be preserved. If those conditions are not met, there cannot be conversation, there certainly cannot be 'vibrant discourse,' though there can perhaps be circlejerks by small and hardened communities of like-minded ideologues. And in the absence of conversation and discourse, the only possible outcomes are stasis (bad) or conflict even more destructive and miserable than what we now face (worse).
2.1 A. Even if this is true, you haven’t won that this particular call from Rudy Martinez should be policed out, or even that the call itself is wrong. Those are a prioris before we even get to your argument because if what they’re calling for is right then this is all a non-starter.

2.2 B. You also haven’t answered the discussion I (and others) have made about how this gets policed unevenly and resolutely in favor of the dominant White majority. My posts discuss this with some large scale societal examples and nuance above, but I’m actually going to focus on this particular thread as an example of how this goes down:

In this thread we saw two people make some pretty fucking incendiary claims. Kane ran through dogwhistle bingo about Black people and got told off days later in an incredibly mild manner. Meanwhile FaxModem came out an explicitly said, and then defended, that colonial violence and chattel slavery were good for humanity and part of the “melting pot” experience. And nobody else said a thing.

The mod response (in a public space) was to call it “dumb… [but he didn’t] actually come out and say it” and that’s that. This is how policing works culturally: Calling colonial violence good is allowed while saying ‘the categories that create the possibility of colonial violence and sustain it to the present should be destroyed’ is condemned and the author punished to public adulation. That’s fucked up. It's also incredibly normal (hell, the fact that it was recognized at all by mods is probably better than 'the Real World').

As long as you're allowing for society that looks something like the squo to do the policing then there's no way around this inherent inequity.

(And, really, if the argument is dumb ideas need to be circulated, discussed, and shot down that’s fair. But then this thread itself is unnecessary and Rudy Martinez shouldn’t have been fired.)
2.1.1 In regards to 2.1, this is addressed in my argument (3). To be more specific, there is a highly specific thing that needs to be policed out of the class of safe spaces I describe in (1.3.1). Namely, actively hateful tone. The reason is simple: If one desires to keep and maintain a space in which discussion can occur, such tone is completely intolerable when used by members of the majority to "punch down," for flagrantly obvious reasons. However, this is one of those times when it is flatly impractical to enforce a necessary rule without enforcing the rule uniformly. If specifically hateful tone is acceptable within a given space for members of the minority while "punching up," and if the space in question is to be accessible to the general public including relatively median-ish members of the majority, then it will become impossible to police the tone of the space. Median members of the majority will leave the space entirely, or will react to the perception of hatred and hostility with hatred and hostility of their own. Not the covert hatred of, say, redlining; the overt hatred of "you people sure are [snip list of condemnations]." The eventual impact of this is disastrous if the original goal was to permit communication that includes members of multiple races including both minorities and the majority.

So while we can reasonably call it an injustice when the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, but we cannot reasonably call it an injustice when the law forbids rich and poor alike from driving on the left side of the road. Regardless of whether it is somehow more just for everyone to drive on the right side of the road than on the left, the reality remains that we have to pick one or the other, and stick to it, and accept the consequences of doing so. We cannot tolerate individuals deciding to drive on the left in a collectively right-driving road, or vice versa, and expect good outcomes. This is necessary, if only because no one can have roads otherwise. And the poor need the roads too. Rudy Martinez was driving on the left side of the road.

2.2.1 In regards to 2.2, I personally was rapidly losing track of a highly multi-sided debate and wasn't paying the words of Kane and Fax much mind one way or the other. It is very easy for individual comments on a message board to go unpoliced, one way or the other. Comments that are indirectly derogatory towards a minority can simply go unseen, or unremarked, but comments that are derogatory towards a majority can go unseen and unremarked too. If I had described, say, the East India Company as a bunch of rotten greedy butchers, I suspect I'd have gotten away with it with no more contradiction than Fax's comment about the 'melting pot' did.

It is rather a different matter when articles and editorials in a newspaper go unpoliced, because newspapers are vehicles by which a small, organized, presumably disciplined group can communicate to hundreds or thousands. And this communication is more or less one way. As such, the people operating a newspaper have unusual responsibilities when it comes to policing their tone, because they are in a position of unusual power to make their opinions heard.

Pursuant to this, I would argue that it most certainly SHOULD NOT be tolerated when overtly hateful tone is used by majorities towards minorities in such a venue. In some places and times it is, and I oppose this. But by the same token, I do not think it CAN, and am not at all sure that it should, be tolerated when overtly hateful tone is pointed the other way. A newspaper editorial is simply not the place to say "I hate you, you shouldn't exist" to any noticeable fraction of the newspaper's prospective audience. To make it such a place gravely undermines the mission of encouraging discussion of the issues, and damage's the newspaper's ability to do its job of communicating facts and learned commentary to the masses.
3.1 This is answered above both in this post and the thread. To be somewhat technical:

I am impact turning your vision of fairness as being incredibly violent towards minority subjects and making the argument that your vision of fairness precludes any progress towards true equality which can only be accessed by attacking norms around society, culture, and the state.
I do not think you have done an adequate job of establishing that my vision of fairness is "incredibly violent." Among my objections:

3.1.1 -You seem, and I admit I could be wrong about this, to be equivocating between multiple standards of what constitutes 'violence.' I'm honestly not sure at times whether you consider 'violence' to be a word for physical injury inflicted on other beings, or whether you consider it to include the sort of passive-aggressive ubiquitous injustice that we see far more often in today's society (e.g. there are far more blacks who have been unjustly harmed by job discrimination than by racists beating them up). While you can in fact justify a broad definition of 'violence' that includes the sort which leaves no blood or bruises, it's important that we be open and overt about HOW we are defining 'violence.' Furthermore, if we are to use the word 'violence' to include things that cause no bleeding, it would be desirable to have some other term, if only something like 'literal violence' to describe the things that DO cause bleeding.

3.1.2 -Related to (3.1.1), when I look at your position, you have a fairly low bar of what constitutes "incredible violence." In and of itself, this would not be a problem; it's not as if the current level of violence is anywhere remotely near acceptable. Being anti-violence is fine. There wouldn't be an issue except for (3.1.3)...

3.1.3 -To be specific, you seem to leave no room for the degree to which violence can be scaled up, and to which violence can escalate. If your benchmark for what constitutes "incredible violence" is the New York Police Department, and you would use the same term "incredible violence" to describe, say, the Rwandan genocide, then the potential for bad arguments becomes very high. Among other things, it becomes possible to ignore the argument "but this would lead to the Rwandan genocide" by saying "ah, but we already have the NYPD, which is just as bad." In short, being super-anti-violence does not justify refusing to acknowledge the difference between the unjust deaths of a hundred people and the unjust deaths of a hundred thousand people. This undermines all discussion with you that revolves around consequences or impact of a proposed course of action, and I wanted to call it to your attention because it seems to be a pattern in this thread.

3.1.4 -Furthermore, you seem very quick to conflate "my vision," as in the things I personally consider desirable and would do if I had the power to arrange things as I wish, with consequences of an existing system that I dislike and desire to change. I consider this objectionable. It is one of the reasons I mentioned argument (1), though that seems to have had no effect. Particularly when the main thread of my disagreement with you is that in order to achieve certain desired changes, certain norms and structures are necessary, and that destroying these norms and structures damages our ability to achieve the desired change.

Okay, I have no further time to continue at the moment; I am prepared and willing to address your replies to (4) and (5) at a later time if I can muster the strength, but that will be hours from now.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thanas wrote: 2018-02-13 06:15am
Straha wrote: 2018-02-13 04:13am The mod response (in a public space) was to call it “dumb… [but he didn’t] actually come out and say it” and that’s that. This is how policing works culturally: Calling colonial violence good is allowed while saying ‘the categories that create the possibility of colonial violence and sustain it to the present should be destroyed’ is condemned and the author punished to public adulation. That’s fucked up. It's also incredibly normal (hell, the fact that it was recognized at all by mods is probably better than 'the Real World').
I would appreciate if you could not rope the mods into this as some part of widespread effort to defend white power structures, especially considering a) some mods have recused themselves due to being involved in the debate, b) most mods are not even american and c) The idea of an international forum being reflective of discourse in the USA is not particularly accurate.
He was referring to me. In this case, I don't agree with his characterization of Faxmodem's argument, and concluded that Faxmodem is just not the brightest crayon in the box and made factual errors in good faith that lead to a bad conclusion. Factual errors that Straha never bothered to correct. Moreover, it isn't anything I can moderate at all given board rules, other than to do what I did which is to eliminate the side-discussion.

Starkiller is a racist asshole. We all know he's a racist asshole. But our punishable offenses do not include dog-whistles so telling him to go fuck himself and locking down threads is what I am capable of doing. So it was done.

GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

On a related note, I don't expect to be able to muster the mental strength to address Straha's replies to my points four and five tonight, and tomorrow's not looking good either.

I've spent enough time today feeling like I'm bathing in psychic sewage that I don't have spare energy for this.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2018-02-13 04:11pm [He was referring to me. In this case, I don't agree with his characterization of Faxmodem's argument, and concluded that Faxmodem is just not the brightest crayon in the box and made factual errors in good faith that lead to a bad conclusion. Factual errors that Straha never bothered to correct. Moreover, it isn't anything I can moderate at all given board rules, other than to do what I did which is to eliminate the side-discussion.
[/color]
I'll take well meaning fool over racist asshole any day. Mostly because it's true.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Wandering back in from a few days away, I think I can settle on the following. Simon, I think we more or less agree that there are issues that need to be discussed, we just disagree on the language and whether or not it's been irrevocably tainted by fuckwits or is useful outside of specialized academic contexts. Given that, and the dogpile notice, I'll be withdrawing.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, the points where I feel there's need for debate here revolve almost entirely around HOW to have necessary conversations and achieve necessary shifts in culture.

[May have energy to put together a reply to Straha's (4) and (5) tomorrow. Not sure; my usual periods of activity for that purpose will be stupidly busy in a different way]