Republicans: "A Coup is Coming"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Republicans: "A Coup is Coming"

Post by Dragon Angel »

This just gets more and more surreal...
Vox wrote:Some on the right are really ratcheting things up on the secret government conspiracy theory front. The latest suggestion: The FBI is orchestrating a coup.

Fox News host Jesse Watters criticized Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation at the FBI, suggesting it’s been “crooked from the jump.”

“If that’s true,” he said on Saturday, “we have a coup on our hands in America.”

Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway appeared on Watters’s show shortly after his comment, and a chyron appeared below her reading: “A coup in America?”

“The fix was in against Donald Trump from the beginning, and they were pro-Hillary,” Conway said, referring to the FBI. “They can’t possibly be seen as objective or transparent or even-handed or fair.”

Watters and Conway were reacting to revelations that a senior FBI counterintelligence official, Peter Strzok, who had until recently been part of Mueller’s investigation, spent months sending text messages to a colleague in the runup to the 2016 election deriding Trump as a “douche,” “utter idiot,” and “loathsome human.” Strzok was removed from Mueller’s team in late July.

Coup talk spurred a backlash
Fox News’s weekend “coup” question picked up steam online, sparking backlash.

Kevin Baron, the editor of Atlantic Media’s Defense One and a war correspondent, was stunned.

Democracy scholar Brian Klaas raised the question of whether it’s a threat to democracy.

Newsweek defense and foreign affairs writer John Haltiwanger tweeted out the actual definition of a coup.

MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough on Monday slammed Fox News for “fomenting constitutional crisis” in suggesting someone is attempting a coup.

Fox is still talking about a coup
But the coup talk has kept on.

Jeanine Pirro on her Fox News program on Saturday said that never in presidential election history has there been “as great a crime or as large a stain on our democracy than that committed by a criminal cabal in our FBI and the Department of Justice who think they know better than we who our president should be.”

On Sunday morning, Fox & Friends co-host Rachel Campos-Duffy said we have “potentially one of the biggest scandals in American history where we’re seeing our justice system being used to really change the outcome of an election,” Politico’s Morning Media newsletter noted.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in his Monday newsletter continued the “attempted coup” chatter. Last week, he promoted one of his appearances on Fox News on Twitter, declaring, “It’s an attempted coup d’etat!”

Breitbart wrote a story flagging Watters’s coup talk as well.

The coup talk isn’t new on the right, but still
This weekend’s coup chatter on the right isn’t a new phenomenon.

Fox News host and growing media conspiracy theorist Sean Hannity in June said a “soft coup is underway” in America aiming to overturn Trump’s election. “Sinister forces quickly aligning, in what is becoming now, in my mind, a clear and present danger.”

As the Washington Post’s Samantha Schmidt pointed out, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) in a speech on the House floor in November called for special counsel Mueller to be fired. “We are at risk of a coup d’état in this country if we allow an unaccountable person with no oversight to undermine the duly elected president of the United States,” Gaetz said.

Conservative radio host Mark Levin has warned that the Obama administration orchestrated a “silent coup” against Trump, claiming Obama wiretapped and spied on the Trump campaign. And in 1991, a private investigator Len Colodny published Silent Coup, which sought to prove that President Richard Nixon was forced out of office because a “formidable national security party” opposed his foreign policy.

Just so we’re all being clear, the Russia investigation is not a coup, which generally involves an attempted forced violent overthrow of an existing government by a small group (often people within the government already). There is no evidence that the FBI or special counsel Mueller are attempting anything of the sort.
So ..... I'd like to know their endgame here.

Mueller even fired the guy long before these "revelations". He did everything right. Yet they're pulling shit out of thin air and ratcheting up the rhetoric. They're intentionally misusing a word that explicitly describes a violent takeover of government.

What is their endgame? Do they just want Trumpolini to be Fuhrer of the United States of America? This is how democracy dies.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Republicans: "A Coup is Coming"

Post by Crazedwraith »

You know when I read the title my assumption was it was an internal party coup. The Republicans rebelling against Trump.

Alas I was far too optimistic.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, just to be clear... do they have any other supports for their opinion that the investigation is a coup, besides the part where one of the investigation team's former members is outspokenly anti-Trump?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I think the fact he's investigating Trump at all is enough for them. They seem to have accepted fully the old Nixon excuse, "when the (Republican) President does it, it's not illegal."
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-12-19 03:41amSo ..... I'd like to know their endgame here.

Mueller even fired the guy long before these "revelations". He did everything right. Yet they're pulling shit out of thin air and ratcheting up the rhetoric. They're intentionally misusing a word that explicitly describes a violent takeover of government.

What is their endgame? Do they just want Trumpolini to be Fuhrer of the United States of America? This is how democracy dies.
Yes. That is the goal, for many of them.

Others are just self-serving, short-sighted, and cowardly, willing to go along with anything as long as their party is in power.

Frankly, some of Fox's rhetoric of late has reached the point of "thinly-veiled incitement to murder FBI agents". And here we see Republicans trying to manufacture a pretext not just to fire Mueller, but possibly to arrest him as well- not for any crime or incompetence on his part, but quite the opposite. Because he's doing his job too well, and they're scared.

This is looking more and more like the set up for an attempt to carry out a political purge of law enforcement and the intelligence community.

I will be calling members of Congress and urging them to block any attempt to fire Mueller. Failing that, we just have to pray that the current string of Democratic wins continues through 2018, and do everything we can to make that happen. Because otherwise, we are looking at an America where the President, aka Donald Trump, is effectively above the law, and where attempting to hold him accountable is a crime.

At that point... well, if we're lucky, mass public demonstrations which force the current government out with a minimum of bloodshed. That does happen, sometimes.

Worst case... Fascist dictatorship for the foreseeable future, or protracted civil war and the Balkanization of America.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, as much as I advocate and prefer non-violent solutions, I think that it would be entirely prudent for people in the intelligence community to have developed a "just in case" contingency plan for coup-ing Trump, given some of the shit he's pulled. These people know what a dictator setting himself up looks like.

And it makes me feel sick that we've reached a point, as a country, where that possibility is, if not likely, nonetheless no longer unthinkable.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

This is basically the exact shit I was afraid of them pulling. Except I was expecting it from Trump's rabid fanbase, not those who ostensibly have some degree of authority. The sticking point is gonna be if this riles up Trump's devotees among the general populace enough that, if he does get removed from office, they take up arms to "defend" their Glorious Leader.

Honestly, it's always been the people who have been thrilled to back someone like Trump that I've found worrisome. Individual idiots with delusions of unfettered power are a dime a dozen, one is bound to get elected POTUS. It's when the person is allowed to get away with bullshit that it starts to get bad, and when large segments of the population adore the behavior that things are looking deeply fucked.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Never seen more blatant anti-american scum than those who are actively trying to impede law enforcement in their pursuit of government corruption.

This is now my test of moderate republicans. Are you such a tribal scumbag as to impede justice, for what end? That it's better to have an uncaught criminal, than one in jail or dealt with?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-19 06:46pm Actually, as much as I advocate and prefer non-violent solutions, I think that it would be entirely prudent for people in the intelligence community to have developed a "just in case" contingency plan for coup-ing Trump, given some of the shit he's pulled. These people know what a dictator setting himself up looks like.

And it makes me feel sick that we've reached a point, as a country, where that possibility is, if not likely, nonetheless no longer unthinkable.
Oh Irony. "They are accusing of us planning a coup so we better plan a coup."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That is, in fact, one of the main motivations behind coups in history.

If a paranoid hatfucker of a leader spends enough time angrily searching for proof of conspiracy, and accusing others of conspiring against him, he is apt to MAKE himself right, whether he started out being right or not.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Yup. Self fulfilling prophecy and all of that.
Any leader who is off the rails enough to think that people are plotting to overthrow him.
Probably is unstable enough that he needs to be overthrown.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-12-20 04:41am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-19 06:46pm Actually, as much as I advocate and prefer non-violent solutions, I think that it would be entirely prudent for people in the intelligence community to have developed a "just in case" contingency plan for coup-ing Trump, given some of the shit he's pulled. These people know what a dictator setting himself up looks like.

Oh Irony. "They are accusing of us planning a coup so we better plan a coup."
Note: I'm not saying that the intelligence community should coup Trump now.

Just that, given his questionable loyalties, despotic tendencies, likely criminality, and the fact that he and his fucktard allies on Fox appear to be in the process of setting up for a political purge of the intelligence community, it might be prudent for them to consider the possibility as a future contingency plan.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

My Fellow Americans: Clean your gear and get your INCH Bag in order, kids. We're in Mad Max territory. Welcome to Hell. I'll be your host.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

INCH bag?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-22 11:39pmINCH bag?
I'm Never Coming Home bag. It's a survivalist backpack filled with various supplies one might need when the shit hits the fan. It's kind of a doomsday prepper thing.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm not quite sure how that would differ from a bug-out bag. My admittedly casual study of disasters tells me that if you really do need a BOB there's a better than even chance that not only won't you be coming home, but home might not be there even if you did.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

INCH = BOB + Steroids. And it's not necessarily a Prepper thing; it's just a good idea. Mine includes water, a few MREs, a first aid kit, two different ways of starting fires, a couple of basic tools, basic fishing gear, a handful of seeds, and ammunition. And also a hockey mask, because if the shit really hits the fan I'm going to need at least one thing that makes me laugh.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LISA: Bart! I'm borrowing your blue crowbar!

BART: Ahh, good ol' Bluey...