JFK files released but 'sensitive' documents blocked by Trump

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

JFK files released but 'sensitive' documents blocked by Trump

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Donald Trump has delayed the release of hundreds of "sensitive" files about the assassination of President John F Kennedy.

The US President approved the release of 2,800 other files related to the 1963 killing but has placed the other records under a six-month review after appeals from the CIA and FBI.

The documents are unlikely to alter the overall narrative of the assassination and investigation, but they do shed new light on aspects of both while providing a few unusual nuggets of information, including:

Among the newly released documents is the revelation that the UK's Cambridge News received an anonymous call about "some big news" in America 25 minutes before Kennedy was assassinated.

A memo to the director of the FBI said the anonymous phone call was made to the newspaper's senior reporter.

The document, from deputy director James Angleton, states: "The caller said only that the Cambridge News reporter should call the American Embassy in London for some big news and then hung up."
Full story here.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: JFK files released but 'sensitive' documents blocked by Trump

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have to say, as "big, yuge" smoke screens go, releasing the JFK files is a pretty good choice. It's something no one can criticize on political grounds (one of the few things I've ever heard of President Trump doing I didn't oppose). And it gets a lot of people talking about something other than, well, what Trump is actually doing.

I wonder if there's anything in particular he's trying to keep people from noticing?

On the other hand, if he's just doing this because of some conviction that the information about the Kennedy assassination "wants to be free..." Well, it's kind of hilarious irony for all the people who supported Trump because they didn't trust Clinton to handle secret information. :P
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-27 03:13pm I wonder if there's anything in particular he's trying to keep people from noticing?
OIL SPILL IN U.S. GULF OF MEXICO COULD BE BIGGEST SINCE DEEPWATER HORIZON DISASTER
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Go check the Trump internal politics thread for another possibility: Spoiler
FIRST CHARGES FILED IN MUELLER INVESTIGATION!
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I've seen a fairly reasonable theory that the docs blocked involve HUMINT sources in countries which we may not have the best relationship with. While most of those sources are probably deceased by now, they may still have family who may be retaliated against if they can be identified.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

That's a possibility.

I can think of a lot of possible reasons. But I suppose we probably won't know until they become public, if then.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-27 03:13pm I have to say, as "big, yuge" smoke screens go, releasing the JFK files is a pretty good choice. It's something no one can criticize on political grounds (one of the few things I've ever heard of President Trump doing I didn't oppose). And it gets a lot of people talking about something other than, well, what Trump is actually doing.

I wonder if there's anything in particular he's trying to keep people from noticing?

On the other hand, if he's just doing this because of some conviction that the information about the Kennedy assassination "wants to be free..." Well, it's kind of hilarious irony for all the people who supported Trump because they didn't trust Clinton to handle secret information. :P
The JFK files were scheduled for release on this day 25 years ago, by law. Trump taking credit for releasing them is his typical blowhard narcissism. The CIA and FBI had literal decades to review these documents for sensitive information, and failed. They should be embarrassed, imo.