RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack.

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Link. She passed away this morning.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
scythewielder
Youngling

Re: Carrie Fisher Dead at 60.

Post by scythewielder »

May she rest in peace.
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Good bye Princess
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

*Inserts Episode 4 into DVD Player*

*Presses Play*

:(
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Far too young (if their can ever be a good time for death).

May she rest in peace.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I want to fucking cry. God damn it all to hell.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I figured this was coming when I heard she had a heart attack in the air. Unfortunate. If it turns out I'm wrong about the after part, here's hoping she reaches the good place.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Aaaaauuuuurrgghhh!

Screw fate! Screw 2016!
Last edited by The Infidel on 2016-12-27 01:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Chimaera wrote:I want to fucking cry. God damn it all to hell.
Me too.

Fuck you 2016.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It has been a shitty year. Rest in Peace.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Today the universe got a little bit darker...

So long Princess.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Sad Moderator Merging Sad Threads

RIP Carrie Fisher. May the force be with you, always.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Post by Joun_Lord »

Fuck, this is probably the death of 2016 that hits me the hardest. Fisher was a big part of my childhood, fuck everyones childhood really.

My sympathies go out to her family and everyone who loved her because if I'm feeling this terrible just having known her on the screen I can't imagine what those who actually knew her are feeling.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Carrie, thank you for blazing a trail and showing my daughter and little girls everywhere that she too can be a badass and not wait around for the boys to come save the day . Rest in Peace
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Galvatron wrote:
Mlenk wrote:While I genuinely wish her and her family the best of thoughts and wishes and hope she recovers from this, am I a despicable human being for also thinking at first glance after seeing the headline that I hope she doesn't croak and actually recovers so that she can finish filming the sequel trilogy?
No, it just means you're a human being and a big fan. Nothing wrong with that.

http://people.com/movies/carrie-fisher- ... -trending/
No such luck... :cry:
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Mlenk wrote:While I genuinely wish her and her family the best of thoughts and wishes and hope she recovers from this, am I a despicable human being for also thinking at first glance after seeing the headline that I hope she doesn't croak and actually recovers so that she can finish filming the sequel trilogy?
No, it just means you're a human being and a big fan. Nothing wrong with that.

http://people.com/movies/carrie-fisher- ... -trending/
No such luck... :cry:
Apparently they can just CGI back dead actors ala Peter Cushing, so I don't think we have to worry too much.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Requiescat in pace, et Vis sit semper tecum. :cry:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

It is depressingly morbid to think that Harrison Ford managed to not only bow out of Star Wars but do it gracefully. Carrie Fisher and the Star Wars franchise has been robbed of that opportunity now. I am not sure which I find less disheartening - The idea that the films will necromancy Carrie Fisher years after her death or just make her disappear.

I would anticipate the scripts and at least some of the shooting has already been done for the remaining films so if Leia has big parts then it leaves a potential nightmare of how to fix things.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

PREDATOR490 wrote:It is depressingly morbid to think that Harrison Ford managed to not only bow out of Star Wars but do it gracefully. Carrie Fisher and the Star Wars franchise has been robbed of that opportunity now. I am not sure which I find less disheartening - The idea that the films will necromancy Carrie Fisher years after her death or just make her disappear.

I would anticipate the scripts and at least some of the shooting has already been done for the remaining films so if Leia has big parts then it leaves a potential nightmare of how to fix things.
They did manage it with Paul Walker, though in Paul's case he had two younger brothers who were able to stand in and help finish filming.

It's weird, but I didn't think Princess Leia was hot at first... then I noticed from some of her closeups that she actually had big brown eyes :luv: :mrgreen:
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

They finished shooting Episode 8 over the summer, so she'll be fully in that movie. It remains to be seen how they will handle her in Episode 9, but I'm sure the studio execs are already thinking about it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If her family is OK with a CGI appearance of her in movie 9 then I'm OK with it, too. Post-mortem appearance during a performance is hardly unprecedented, Hell, Art Scholl's actual fatal stunt was included in Top Gun.

I don't think she should appear in a totally unrelated movie or franchise, though. No question she would have been willing to appear in episode IX if she were able to do so. Inserting her image/voice/etc. somewhere else, though, I would think inappropriate.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Blast it. This year has just been terrible beginning to end….

RIP everyone's favorite princess.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:If her family is OK with a CGI appearance of her in movie 9 then I'm OK with it, too. Post-mortem appearance during a performance is hardly unprecedented, Hell, Art Scholl's actual fatal stunt was included in Top Gun.

I don't think she should appear in a totally unrelated movie or franchise, though. No question she would have been willing to appear in episode IX if she were able to do so. Inserting her image/voice/etc. somewhere else, though, I would think inappropriate.
Does that include applications where filmmakers have traditionally used archival footage?

Obviously there's the potential for CGI versions of actors to appear postmortem in entirely new projects using current technology; five years ago that would have been very hard and ten years ago, borderline impossible. But there's sort of a continuum there. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, for instance, may have been kind of a goofy movie, but it's a good example of this, what with the villain being 'played' by computer-modified footage of Laurence Olivier, over a decade after his death.

This was only possible because in the movie itself the original villain responsible for the threat is dead before the action of the story even starts, and we only see him in recordings. But that's sort of irrelevant to the question at hand.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Broomstick wrote:If her family is OK with a CGI appearance of her in movie 9 then I'm OK with it, too. Post-mortem appearance during a performance is hardly unprecedented, Hell, Art Scholl's actual fatal stunt was included in Top Gun.

Does that include applications where filmmakers have traditionally used archival footage?
Hmm.... context may be important for that one.

I think archival footage is still cheaper these days than pure CGI, but eventually that will no longer be a problem on a technical level. I think at present the actor's estate has control over where their image can be inserted, but eventually... would one's image/voice become public domain at some point?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

On a broader basis, it could well become possible to animate a movie entirely in CGI with entirely original 'actors' that are nigh indistinguishable from living and breathing humans. Not ever as cheaply as actually using humans to do it, but possible. IIRC this was a dream of George Lucas' back in the day around Episode I.

But the whole 'resurrecting dead actors via CGI' is definitely a new wrinkle, and one which will have to be ironed out before it goes much further, I think. Right now at least it will be effectively limited by the simple fact that apparently it costs a lot of money to do well.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.