Tom Daschle is a sack of shit

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Tom Daschle is a sack of shit

Post by RedImperator »

I just saw a clip of him gloating about how Senate Democrats just cut the tax cut in half. That's MY money you're gloating about, you sneering South Dakota sheepfucker. I earned it, not you. I wish it was election day so I could vote against some Democrats.[/rant]
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Shut up and take your ritalin, Red. That money is needed for important things, like making sure toothless hos can afford both their daily cigarettes and more kids, and protecting our seniors from prescription drug-stealing robots.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Given the huge chunk of change Bush is asking for it's not suprising. And given the fact that the tax cut is of dubious value to begin I'm not suprised they cut it.
Captain Jack
Padawan Learner

Post by Captain Jack »

Tax: The true reason peaceniks oppose war. :wink:
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Daschle, is becoming as Irrelevant as Trent lott.. As long as he keeps opening his mouth he will alienate everyone in his own party except the Far left.. I am from ND and my folks are still there the local papers in Sd say at this time he would not be re-elected..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tom Daschle is a sack of shit

Post by Enlightenment »

RedImperator wrote:That's MY money you're gloating about, you sneering South Dakota sheepfucker. I earned it, not you.
:roll: Where the do you think the money for the Iraq war is supposed to come from, thin air?
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Enlightenment wrote:
RedImperator wrote:That's MY money you're gloating about, you sneering South Dakota sheepfucker. I earned it, not you.
:roll: Where the do you think the money for the Iraq war is supposed to come from, thin air?
Actually that's a possibility, we could always resort to good ol' inflationary finance (we still haven't learned our lesson, I suppose).

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Durran Korr wrote:Actually that's a possibility, we could always resort to good ol' inflationary finance (we still haven't learned our lesson, I suppose).
Thats real smart. Lets make the American dollar worth less than the paper its printed on! Real good way to boost the economy.

Taxes are taxes, you pay up, they buy big guns, life gos on.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Enlightenment wrote:
Congress authorized $74.7 billion for the war, and sliced $350 billion out of the tax cut. A touch of a discrepancy there, all other things being equal.

EDIT: I should have said, the Senate diddle-fucked with the budget. The House passed the tax cut intact.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

RedImperator wrote:Congress authorized $74.7 billion for the war, and sliced $350 billion out of the tax cut. A touch of a discrepancy there, all other things being equal.
The 78 billion is not for the entire war. It's just the first payment. Considering that you were already looking at a 200 billion dollar budget deficit even before the war, trimming 350 billion in tax cuts is prudent to the point of being necessary.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

I don't fucking believe it, I AGREE with the last 2 post by Enleftenment!

Anyone got some ice skates? I want to try them out in Hell!

Had to happen.
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Enlightenment wrote:The 78 billion is not for the entire war. It's just the first payment. Considering that you were already looking at a 200 billion dollar budget deficit even before the war, trimming 350 billion in tax cuts is prudent to the point of being necessary.
It would be more prudent to take the war money out of other progams and keep the tax cuts intact to put more cash back into private hands where it can spur economic growth, eventually raising government revenue (the Laffer curve). In fact, it would be more prudent to cut out vast, useless chunks of the Federal government entirely and use their budets to lower taxes further and pay down the national debt. At some point, the government is going to have to be shrunk or the American economy will be taxed into stagnation to pay for it. There's no third option in a democracy.

That's probably what pisses me off most about Daschle. He's a tax-and-spend Democrat whose idea of fiscal responsiblity is taking money for his pet programs out of the hides of the people he claims he represents. If he made a speech that said, "Our priorities are more important than yours--we're not cutting taxes because we've got too many programs we want to spend your money on", at least that would be honest. Tom Daschle taking up the mantle of fiscal responsibility is a fucking joke.
X-Ray Blues
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

RedImperator wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:The 78 billion is not for the entire war. It's just the first payment. Considering that you were already looking at a 200 billion dollar budget deficit even before the war, trimming 350 billion in tax cuts is prudent to the point of being necessary.
It would be more prudent to take the war money out of other progams and keep the tax cuts intact to put more cash back into private hands where it can spur economic growth, eventually raising government revenue (the Laffer curve). In fact, it would be more prudent to cut out vast, useless chunks of the Federal government entirely and use their budets to lower taxes further and pay down the national debt. At some point, the government is going to have to be shrunk or the American economy will be taxed into stagnation to pay for it. There's no third option in a democracy.

That's probably what pisses me off most about Daschle. He's a tax-and-spend Democrat whose idea of fiscal responsiblity is taking money for his pet programs out of the hides of the people he claims he represents. If he made a speech that said, "Our priorities are more important than yours--we're not cutting taxes because we've got too many programs we want to spend your money on", at least that would be honest. Tom Daschle taking up the mantle of fiscal responsibility is a fucking joke.
So, which programs would you want to cut?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Which programs ought to be cut...god, I could barely even begin to start.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Daschle's laughably obvious double standards regarding diplomacy prior to attacking Iraq have made me resentful of the dumb-ass, as have his open insults of various members of Congress--including some in his own party.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

We could get the money from Iraqi oil sales, but I don't see that happening. Nonetheless, the long-term dividends will be worth it if Iraq becomes a stable and affluent democracy -- not to mention a US ally in the Middle East that isn't an Arab dictatorship.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Master of Ossus wrote:Daschle's laughably obvious double standards regarding diplomacy prior to attacking Iraq have made me resentful of the dumb-ass, as have his open insults of various members of Congress--including some in his own party.
Some examples:
Tom Daschle wrote: "I hope Saddam Hussein and those who are in control of the Iraqi government clearly understand the resolve and determination of this administration and this country. This may be a political year, . . . but on this issue there can be no disunity. There can be no lack of cohesion. We stand united, Republicans and Democrats, determined to send as clear a message with as clear a resolve as we can articulate: Saddam Hussein's actions will not be tolerated. His willingness to brutally attack Kurds in northern Iraq and abrogate U.N. resolutions is simply unacceptable. We intend to make that point clear with the use of force, with the use of legislative language, and with the use of other actions that the president and the Congress have at their disposal."
Tom Daschle - September 1996

"Look, we have exhausted virtually all diplomatic effort to get the Iraqis to comply with their own agreements and with international law. Given that, what other option is there but to force them to do so . . . The answer is, we don't have another option. We have got to force them to comply, and we are doing so militarily."
Tom Daschle - February, 1998

"I am ... saddened that this president failed so miserably at diplomacy that we're now forced to go to war."  
Tom Daschle, March, 2003

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

fgalkin wrote:So, which programs would you want to cut?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The entire DEA, for starters.
X-Ray Blues
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Master of Ossus wrote:Daschle's laughably obvious double standards regarding diplomacy prior to attacking Iraq have made me resentful of the dumb-ass, as have his open insults of various members of Congress--including some in his own party.
Daschle's a hypocritical weasel who still does understand how he's leading his party to ruin. I don't like Bush too much but if it came down to him vs Daschle it's Dubya all the way.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Damn, Daschle reversed his position on Iraq fast. He even voted for the act that gave Bush the authority to launch this attack!
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

You can also add Nancy Pelosi to list of flip flopers once the Dems saw there base run to the left..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Andrew J. wrote:Damn, Daschle reversed his position on Iraq fast. He even voted for the act that gave Bush the authority to launch this attack!
I wouldn't call 5 years "fast." In 1998, the economy was booming, and we had the money to take on Iraq without worrying about whether or not lowering taxes will cover it.

I've noticed that a lot of the pro-war people are bitching about taking $350 billion out of the tax cut.

Do you want this war or don't you? If you're not willing to pay for it, stop bitching. If anyone has a right to bitch about the Senate fucking with Bush's budget proposal and taking $350 billion out of the tax cuts, it's me, someone who doesn't really support this war in the first place.

As for cutting taxes to increase government revenue through increased spending, that relies on society acting like you want it to. Different times have different trends. A lot of people are setting up college education funds for their children and realize that saving money is a good idea. There is no guarantee that enough people will run off spending the money they save from lower taxes, especially in the wake of an economic catastrophe like we've been seeing. Taxes, on the other hand, are guaranteed income. So again, either recognize that you have to pay for this war or stop supporting it.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Post by XPViking »

jegs2 wrote:We could get the money from Iraqi oil sales, but I don't see that happening. Nonetheless, the long-term dividends will be worth it if Iraq becomes a stable and affluent democracy -- not to mention a US ally in the Middle East that isn't an Arab dictatorship.
I was under the impression that the oil was for the Iraqi people. Am I off base?

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Durandal wrote:
Andrew J. wrote:Damn, Daschle reversed his position on Iraq fast. He even voted for the act that gave Bush the authority to launch this attack!
I wouldn't call 5 years "fast." In 1998, the economy was booming, and we had the money to take on Iraq without worrying about whether or not lowering taxes will cover it.

I've noticed that a lot of the pro-war people are bitching about taking $350 billion out of the tax cut.

Do you want this war or don't you? If you're not willing to pay for it, stop bitching. If anyone has a right to bitch about the Senate fucking with Bush's budget proposal and taking $350 billion out of the tax cuts, it's me, someone who doesn't really support this war in the first place.

As for cutting taxes to increase government revenue through increased spending, that relies on society acting like you want it to. Different times have different trends. A lot of people are setting up college education funds for their children and realize that saving money is a good idea. There is no guarantee that enough people will run off spending the money they save from lower taxes, especially in the wake of an economic catastrophe like we've been seeing. Taxes, on the other hand, are guaranteed income. So again, either recognize that you have to pay for this war or stop supporting it.
You could drive a truck through that false dilemma.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

XPViking wrote:
jegs2 wrote:We could get the money from Iraqi oil sales, but I don't see that happening. Nonetheless, the long-term dividends will be worth it if Iraq becomes a stable and affluent democracy -- not to mention a US ally in the Middle East that isn't an Arab dictatorship.
I was under the impression that the oil was for the Iraqi people. Am I off base?

XPViking
8)
It's going to the Iraqi government and it will be sold to help pay for the rebuilding of Iraq.