Chechnya: case closed

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Chechnya: case closed

Post by K. A. Pital »

Those who said "Chechyens want to be independent" must have missed latest news, unless they were referring to terrorists.
The referendum conclusions are quite the opposite to "Chechyens want independence". The referendum proved that "the people of Chechya showed undoubtedly that they want to be a part of the united, monolite Russia. Those who have not laid down their arms are fighting not only against the Federation, but against their own folk" (quote president Putin).
So I suggest Chechnya case for rebellion is closed: it was a terrorist rebellion on a country's territory and it was subdued for the will of the people.

This is enough for Chechnya.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

And how long before you retake control of Ukraine :x :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

There was never much doubt that the majority of Chechens were against the independence movement from the start- not only is there a big pro-Russia Chechen demographic that cooperates with Russian forces and provides the majority of the police in the area, but the situation is made even more dire for the rebels because a lot of them aren't even Chechens- they're Arabs with delusions of Jihad- see for example Khattab, who the FSB assassinated last year.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Man, you are crazy. There's a huge difference between attacking a terrorist rebellion within the country and attacking a sovereign independent state. :D
BTW, we have a cause to attack Ukraine. They shot down a Tu-154 over the Black Sea by a AA missile, killing 130 civilians, who were children coming back from holidays, it was about a year ago. See? :(
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The whole movement probably would have disintegrated in 1995-6 if it wasn’t for a steady stream of thousands of foreign volunteers pouring in.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stas Bush wrote:Man, you are crazy. There's a huge difference between attacking a terrorist rebellion within the country and attacking a sovereign independent state. :D
BTW, we have a cause to attack Ukraine. They shot down a Tu-154 over the Black Sea by a AA missile, killing 130 civilians, who were children coming back from holidays, it was about a year ago. See? :(
Which was an accident. not much cause for war, and such mistakes are not unknown for Russia. The Soviet Union had quite a few civilian aircraft accidentally shot down in exercises.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:Man, you are crazy. There's a huge difference between attacking a terrorist rebellion within the country and attacking a sovereign independent state. :D
Which was an accident. not much cause for war, and such mistakes are not unknown for Russia. The Soviet Union had quite a few civilian aircraft accidentally shot down in exercises.
Good point remember the Korean air line incident. :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Actually I meant exactly the same. If we attack everyone for some small bullshit, we'll end up in WWIII.

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Montcalm wrote:
Good point remember the Korean air line incident. :?[/quote]

In truth, that was a real intercept by an Su-15 FLAGON, rather than an exercise. The aircraft didn't listen to orders- gross incompetence by the doomed Korean airliner.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Vympel wrote:
Montcalm wrote:
Good point remember the Korean air line incident.
In truth, that was a real intercept by an Su-15 FLAGON, rather than an exercise. The aircraft didn't listen to orders- gross incompetence by the doomed Korean airliner.[/quote]There were rumors that an American spy plane used it as cover :?
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Montcalm wrote:There were rumors that an American spy plane used it as cover :?
If so, then the pilot didn't tell Carey Schofield in her book Inside the Soviet Army.

I'll post that if anyone's interested?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Vympel
Yeah, that too. But still we can't brag much about that. Even in wartime murdering civilians is not a good thing, and not in war time it's ever closer to crime.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2003-03-24 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.

Assalti Frontali
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

:shock: bull fucking shit. If California were to ceed from the Union today, we wouldn't napalm Sacramento or Los Angeles like Russia did to Grozny.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stas Bush wrote:Vympel
Yeah, that too. But still we can't brag much about that. Even in wartime murdering civilians is not a good thing, and not in war time it's ever closer to crime.
I never said anything about it being good- I don't advocate murder of civvies.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Col. Crackpot
What the hell? I'm sure you would employ the best "point bombardment" to kill the terrorist fucker who's leading the rebels. And after that - deployed huge forces in that area. It's the way strong countries behave, there's little that can be done about that.
And I wonder: if the people of this state were unwilling to rebel, but a bunch of terrorists sceized power, will you also do nothing? Unlikely.

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Col. Crackpot wrote::shock: bull fucking shit. If California were to ceed from the Union today, we wouldn't napalm Sacramento or Los Angeles like Russia did to Grozny.
Odd- you did something of the sort during the Civil War. How would *you* propose that you take a city held by hostile forces trying to secede? Ask them nicely to come out? It happened in Stalingrad, it happened in Berlin, and other cities throughout history. All out urban warfare is hell on earth, especially where the majority of your men are ill-trained conscripts and your officers are morons (hello 94-96 Chechen War).
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Vympel
Civil War has it's own methods. I wonder why no one remembers that Alpha killed Hattab.

Assalti Frontali
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Stas Bush wrote:Actually I meant exactly the same. If we attack everyone for some small bullshit, we'll end up in WWIII.
Although I wouldn't mind Ukraine being retaken. :twisted:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Yeah, if it was cassus belli, then Iran would have a legit reason to attack the US, Iranian Airbus shot down by the Vincennes (?) in the Iran-Iraq War.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Funny, I saw a picture in my paper that had Russian troops lining
up to VOTE...in Chechenya

this reminds me of a story from the War Between the States, in
which the Union captured a Confederate state capital and immediately
had all the union soldiers crowd into the state capital to vote on whether
to readmit the state to the union, and all the soldiers said "yea!" and
thusly was a state readmitted to the union
:twisted:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Vympel wrote:
Montcalm wrote:There were rumors that an American spy plane used it as cover :?
If so, then the pilot didn't tell Carey Schofield in her book Inside the Soviet Army.

I'll post that if anyone's interested?
There had been an American ELINT plane that crossed the Korean liner's flight path a few hours before the airplane went into Russian airspace. If y'all are willing to wait a few hours, I can get a copy of the air traffic at that time and post it.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

MKSheppard wrote:Funny, I saw a picture in my paper that had Russian troops lining
up to VOTE...in Chechenya
Or Chechen police officers.