Iraqi troops shooting their own commanders!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Iraqi troops shooting their own commanders!

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003131597,00.html

Sun man sees surrender

PHOTOGRAPHER Terry Richards, 52, has been with The Sun since 1980 and has previously covered the Afghan war.

This time Terry, of Essendon, Herts, joined 40 Commando Royal Marines on HMS Ocean and followed their attack on Al Faw in Southern Iraq. Here is his amazing report and pictures.

IRAQI troops shot their own commanders with Kalashnikov rifles — so they could surrender.

I overheard a Marine reporting to an officer what the captives had admitted to him. And I don’t blame them for it.

Not when you have just witnessed the awesome sight of 40 Commando Royal Marines capturing a key oil refinery — and seen doomed Iraqi fighters crumble at their gunposts.

Faced with the astonishing firepower and determination of these elite Marines, even hardened soldiers would crack.

As for this poorly-equipped Iraqi force, it takes just two hours for Our Boys to blast a devastating hole through their shattered morale.

Scores of demoralised men with fear in their eyes and white flags waving above their heads capitulate under a barrage of bullets at the Al Faw refinery.

They look a beaten, bloodied and bedraggled bunch. Some have suffered life-threatening wounds in the two-hour firefight with the Marines.

The injured are patched up by the British troops, while all prisoners are searched for concealed weapons.

A captive waves a white flag with his face obscured in accordance with advice from the MoD. Under the Geneva Convention PoWs must be shielded from public curiosity.

Those fit enough are ordered to put their hands on their heads. Others are commanded to lie spread-eagled in the dust as they are checked over.

The Iraqis desperately try to give their captors money but, of course, none take it.

They keep repeating: “It’s your money, it’s your money.” The Marines’ superior skill, will and firepower has simply overwhelmed the Iraqis.

I am lucky enough to be the first photographer into enemy territory and it is a genuine privilege to work with this highly-trained elite troop.

I had a place on an assault helicopter as we took the 45-minute midnight flight to swoop on Al Faw from our Camp Viking desert base on the Kuwaiti/Iraq border.

It was delayed due to bad weather and because the landing site was not quite as it first appeared from the satellite photos.

The objective was simple — to secure the oilfield so Iraqis could not blow it up.

There was a tangible sense of fear among the men that the Iraqis would deliberately unleash an ecological disaster.
Our assault helicopters landed inside the giant oil installation in pitch dark.

The Marines hit the ground running, forming a perfect arc and setting off light sticks to guide a path through the blackness.

That allowed me to make a 200-metre dash to a building pinpointed as a safe haven from which to watch the action unfold.

I took pictures of the landing using hi-tech infrared night vision equipment.

When the firefight broke out I was kept at a safe distance — but still felt the hairs on the back of my neck bristle.

The sound of crackling gunfire filled the air for two hours as the enemy faced the full awesome force of belt-fed GP machine guns and SA80 assault rifles.

Even after the refinery had been secured and I could join the Commandos, there was still mortar fire trained on us.

It was taken out shortly afterwards, but there were dangerous skirmishes well after the main firefight was won.

My heart was in my mouth because I knew we were inside enemy territory. I just kept my head down and concentrated on the job in hand — the only way in a combat situation.

I saw how the Commandos handled the prisoners and can report their treatment was exceptionally good.

Before the Al Faw operation I had spent a week with the Marines on HMS Ocean.

We were going to be lifted off the ship by helicopter but there was a change of plan.

Instead, we landed on a stretch of coastline known as Green Beach — and we were completely unopposed.
We were then transported by lorries for half an hour into a secret desert location called Camp Viking.

We were told we were within striking distance of the Iraqi border.

Living conditions were basic. For three days we survived on minimal army rations and lived in tiny foxholes — just holes in the sand.

I was well looked after by Sergeant Major Greg Fenton. He is a great bloke and made sure I coped.

The foxholes had to be at least three feet deep to give protection from mortar fire.

On the second day a fierce sandstorm blew up out of nowhere. It was unbelievable — the sand gets in your mouth, up your nose, everywhere.

On the last day there we received about eight gas and Scud alerts.

I had to wear my protective chemical suit and was ordered to keep my gas mask within a metre’s reach at all times.

At times it felt like the Scud warnings were coming every five minutes. Luckily no missile landed near us.

At the end of the third day we were flown into Al Faw — and an experience that will never leave me.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This *wreaks* of WWI style, crude-ass propaganda. This reporter should be fired- worst example of reporting I've ever seen, easily.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

You do realise that the Sun is about the most biased right wing newspaper short of Mussolini's old one in Italy right Shep? They have a habit of making shit up that'll sell copy... One notable example would be their bullshit version of what happened in the hillsborough disaster which resulted in just about the entire city of Liverpool boycotting the paper.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:This *wreaks* of WWI style, crude-ass propaganda. This reporter should be fired- worst example of reporting I've ever seen, easily.
Yeah. I've heard a few rumors that soldiers have shot their officers and surrendered but that story sounds half made up. It's certainly an exageration of anything truthful.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

"The Sun" is a jingoistic rascist rag not worth mentioning on this illustrious board.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Stormbringer wrote:
Yeah. I've heard a few rumors that soldiers have shot their officers and surrendered but that story sounds half made up. It's certainly an exageration of anything truthful.
Yeah- after all, most propaganda is after all, a half-truth.
"The Sun" is a jingoistic rascist rag not worth mentioning on this illustrious board.
Ah. Don't know much about foreign newspapers.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Vympel wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Yeah- after all, most propaganda is after all, a half-truth.
Yes it is. I never denied that. This story has the sickly smell of shit about it. The basics facts might be true but I doubt the rest of it. I've heard rumors of soldiers shooting their officers (who were loyal Saddam-stooges sent to make them fight) on CBS and CNN but just as rumor.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

And here's the confirmation from the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 88,00.html
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Para-graphs?

Having a line break for each sentence is VERY annoying.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Hardly suprising. The majority of them are conscript soldiers sent to fight for a dictator they hate. I would too if I were in their situation.