Uninsured Rate Falls Again for Random Reason Totally Unrelat

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Uninsured Rate Falls Again for Random Reason Totally Unrelat

Post by bobalot »

Uninsured Rate Falls Again for Random Reason Totally Unrelated to Obamacare
By Jonathan Chait

Not long ago, the hypothesis that Obamacare would substantially reduce the uninsured rate was a point of fierce ideological disagreement. The National Center for Policy Analysis, a major conservative health-care think tank, predicted in 2013, “the massive law that was enacted to solve the problem of the uninsured in America is more likely to worsen it.” “At the end of the day, for all of the rhetoric and promises about what Obamacare would achieve, the health law’s most ardent supporters have stuck to their guns because of one thing: coverage expansion,” wrote Avik Roy, a leading Republican health-care adviser, in 2014. “But new data suggests that Obamacare may fail even to achieve this goal.” Obamacare would result in “essentially the same number of uninsured,” insisted Charles Krauthammer in February 2014.

The point of this little walk through the past is that Gallup has a new survey out today, and lo and behold, the uninsured rate has fallen again:

It is starting to look possible that this trend is not some random fluke that has happened six straight quarters but is somehow related to the enactment of Obamacare. So any day now, we can expect conservative politicians and intellectuals to begin publicly rethinking their analysis of this law.
Source

I'm sure conservatives will look at the evidence and re-evaluate their talking points.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Block
Jedi Council Member

Re: Uninsured Rate Falls Again for Random Reason Totally Unr

Post by Block »

To be fair, hasn't there been a pretty large increase in hiring during that period as well? Health insurance is extremely tied to employment in the US, so a drop in the unemployment rate SHOULD correlate with more people insured. I'm pretty sure they both had an influence, but I'd be interested to see how it breaks down as to how much was due to more employment and how much was the ACA.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Since one of their arguments is that Obamacare will destroy jobs, is that line of inquiry useful?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

It's extremely useful in determining how much of an effect the ACA actually had, so that future improvements to the law can be properly written.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thing is, we're looking at a decrease in the percentage of uninsured Americans of six percent. That's not enough to be easily explained by unemployment dropping a few percent (i.e. quite a bit less than six).
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

No, but if 4% is increased employment that would be important to know. Just like if .01% is the result of increased employment. You need facts to make smart policy decisions.
I mean if one person gets a new job and 4 people get insurance as a result, that person, spouse, two kids, it has an effect on the numbers. And for a sciency board I'd think that'd be obvious.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

agreed. Surely the number of people on obamacare is known though?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Block wrote:No, but if 4% is increased employment that would be important to know. Just like if .01% is the result of increased employment. You need facts to make smart policy decisions.
I mean if one person gets a new job and 4 people get insurance as a result, that person, spouse, two kids, it has an effect on the numbers. And for a sciency board I'd think that'd be obvious.
Depends what those jobs are. Are those jobs full time with benefits? Or McJobs with none and those people still on ACA?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Block wrote: I mean if one person gets a new job and 4 people get insurance as a result, that person, spouse, two kids, it has an effect on the numbers. And for a sciency board I'd think that'd be obvious.
The issue with this mechanism is that you'd still expect a more or less fixed ratio between the percentage of people who are unemployed and the percentage of people with no insurance.

There are 156 million Americans in the labor force according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics.

There are 319 million Americans. There are roughly 64 million Americans who are on Social Security which is a rough metric of how many non-dependent people there are that are out of the workforce due to age or disability. Some of those may still be someone's dependent for health insurance purposes, such as disabled spouses, so knock that down to 50 million.

In which case there are 156 million eligible American workers, who are in the position to provide work-based health insurance both for themselves, and for (319-50-156 equals) 107 million dependents, 74 million of whom are children.

Eyeballing it, then, we can assume that for every person who gets a job, roughly 1.6 people will get health insurance. You might nudge that a bit, and say it's 1.7 or 1.5. But it's highly unlikely to be as high as, oh, two. Let alone three...

Unless of course there is some force that makes people with lots of dependents disproportionately likely to get new jobs. But if there was such a force, it would already be in play, and the people with the most dependents would already have jobs, since 90% or more of the workforce does. In that case, the 1.6 figure would likely be an overestimate because on average, unemployed people would have LESS than 0.6 dependents eligible for coverage on the plan of a prospective employer.

Moreover, it is obvious that not everyone who gets a job gets health insurance.

Therefore, I think we can reasonably assume that the ratio of roughly 1.6 Americans getting health insurance per person who joins the workforce is a fair estimate. It seems unlikely to be much higher than that, in any case.

Anyway. Let's look at the consequences of that.

Employment is measured in terms of how many of those 156 million working-age, able-bodied, seeking-work Americans have jobs. At the moment U6, the percentage of the population that is seriously underemployed or not employed, is about 11%. Prior to the rise of Obamacare, the percentage of uninsured Americans was about 19%.

Thing is, the US population is twice the size of the labor force. If we gave a job to every American in the labor force, including able-bodied people who have given up the job search but would still work if they thought they could... and if the ratio of 1.6 people getting insurance per person who gets a job holds...

We would STILL have some people left over uninsured. In which case it is highly unlikely that the rapid change in the uninsured rate can be entirely explained, or even mostly explained, by changes in employment.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Knife wrote:
Block wrote:No, but if 4% is increased employment that would be important to know. Just like if .01% is the result of increased employment. You need facts to make smart policy decisions.
Depends what those jobs are. Are those jobs full time with benefits? Or McJobs with none and those people still on ACA?
And that's fair, that's why I'd be interested to see a more detailed chart. I know the ACA has had an effect, I'm just curious what the proportion is, mostly because if the Republicans are going to give credit to the "job creators" I'd like to know how much they're bullshitting.
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

Don't forget that the unemployment rate is only concerned with the number of people within the labor force that are employed. People that have been jobless for long enough are dropped from the equation. It's generally accepted that the unemployment rate is an incomplete view of the job market's health. Apparently there are nine labor market indicators used by the Federal Reserve Chair, Janet Yellen.
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Knife wrote:
This. Many of the jobs that have been created in recent decades in service sector are far less likely to provide health insurance, pensions, and similar benefits compared to the unionized blue-collar jobs that existed in the high tide of the New Deal era which is one of the reasons why America has such a high uninsured rate.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.