GPS interruption

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zoink
Jedi Council Member

GPS interruption

Post by Zoink »

I was flipping through the channels, and found a news piece that ended on the effects of GPS going off line, then said [paraphrase] "so if your GPS unit goes down in the next few days, this is why"

I missed the beginning. OK, so why would the GPS shut down? To deny Saddam its use?
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: GPS interruption

Post by MKSheppard »

Zoink wrote: I missed the beginning. OK, so why would the GPS shut down? To deny Saddam its use?
No shit. Only GPS units that work reliably are now Military GPS with the
code.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

AFAIK, they aren't actually shutting down GPS, but are decreasing the accuracy of nonmilitary systems elsewhere.

GLONASS, of course, will not be affected.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

phongn wrote:AFAIK, they aren't actually shutting down GPS, but are decreasing the accuracy of nonmilitary systems elsewhere.

Yep, accuracy is now within 300m. Ain't it great?
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Singular Quartet wrote:
phongn wrote:AFAIK, they aren't actually shutting down GPS, but are decreasing the accuracy of nonmilitary systems elsewhere.

Yep, accuracy is now within 300m. Ain't it great?
In Iraq, accuracy is now within 300m. They can choose where they want to degrade the service now...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Yes, I believe in most of the world GPS is unimpaired.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

In 2000 when they began broadcasting the military grade single to civilians, they also upgraded to allow for a regional, rather then world wide selective availability. However I think it's more likely that it's the whole Middle East that has educed civilian grade accuracy. The satellites cover pretty wide areas.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956