First Casulties

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

First Casulties

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Damn, there is a report that a Sea Knight crashed with 12 US Marines and 4 British aboard, they are saying all were killed. Does not say if it was an operational loss or from enemy fire.

This is very sad if it is true. :( :(
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

I heard that it was mechanical failure.

Wouldn't that make this the second helicopter lost in this way in two days?
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

I thought I heard something about a helicopter last night landing and the crew and passangers being recoverd, but that was it. I was only half listening to the radio at the time.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Appears to be an operational loss, at least from what CNN's netradio stream is indicating.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

There have already been two hard landings, a Pave Low which had to be destroyed and the crew evaced, and an Apache which managed to get back into the air after putting down. The Ch-46 is the first real crash. If all three had been Army I might chalk it up to same damage from the sand storms. But that seems unlikely.

Well, freak accidents do happen. Could have been a lot of things.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

In the Kosove campaign weren't the only Allied casualties from chopper crashes?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

The copter crashed near the Iraqi-Kuwaiti border, while they might have taken fire they say it isn't likely.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:There have already been two hard landings, a Pave Low which had to be destroyed and the crew evaced, and an Apache which managed to get back into the air after putting down. The Ch-46 is the first real crash. If all three had been Army I might chalk it up to same damage from the sand storms. But that seems unlikely.

Well, freak accidents do happen. Could have been a lot of things.
The Sea Knights are rather old birds, might have been mechanical failture.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Is anybody aware of whether or not three incidents within the span of a forty-eight hour period is normal in terms of prolonged military operations?

And do we think any of them actually took fire? I'd say the Apache was the most likely recipient of ground fire. The others? Mech. failure.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Iraq claims to have shot down the Apache. But if that happened the thing wouldn't have taken back off. US army says it was mechanical and I see no reason not to believe it. The number of crashes doesn’t seem all that high. One managed to recover its self, and the Pave Low evidently could have been but was too far inside or Iraqi territory. With more then 500 helicopters in the area, I don’t think one serious crash is all that bad.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I'd say yes especially in this sort of offensive lightening. Perhaps after the initial weeks of the attack and a lack of mantainence we may have too slow down for a few days too fix up and let supplies catch up for our regroup. Usually stuff like this happens it's just not reported because in bloodly war you report of fighting losses.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Sea Skimmer wrote:Iraq claims to have shot down the Apache. But if that happened the thing wouldn't have taken back off. US army says it was mechanical and I see no reason not to believe it. The number of crashes doesn’t seem all that high. One managed to recover its self, and the Pave Low evidently could have been but was too far inside or Iraqi territory. With more then 500 helicopters in the area, I don’t think one serious crash is all that bad.
Destroying the Pave Low was prudent, and a single bad crash so far is not unexpected, its just sad.

I agree I dont think the army would lie about the Apache getting shot down. What would they gain.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

The Apache might have been temporarily disabled by the fire - as in the pilot might have been stunned into landing, unable to control his vehicle. But I agree - mechanical failure now seems the most likely culprit in each of these incidents.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Keep in mind that these guys are flying in the dark with NVGs in a part of the world with very few ground reference lights. This kind of flying is very dangerous period even without enemy fire to contend with. Until the heavy fighting begins there may well be more US deaths due to accidents and mistakes than from enemy fire.

For those keeping score for the other side, Iraq claims five military and one civilian killed so far. Take with however many grains of salt one desires...
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Numbers reversed. According to CNN at least, the helicopter had a four man US crew, but had twelve British troops onboard.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Numbers reversed. According to CNN at least, the helicopter had a four man US crew, but had twelve British troops onboard.
BBC, CNN, FNC and MSNBC are corraborating this report.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Axis Kast wrote:The Apache might have been temporarily disabled by the fire - as in the pilot might have been stunned into landing, unable to control his vehicle. But I agree - mechanical failure now seems the most likely culprit in each of these incidents.
No way. If damage is sufficient to force you to land you wouldn't try and lift back off. Anyway, the US Army also reported no opposite in the area of the incident.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Found a link: http://www.msnbc.com/news/888496_asp.htm

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: First Casulties

Post by Master of Ossus »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Damn, there is a report that a Sea Knight crashed with 12 US Marines and 4 British aboard, they are saying all were killed. Does not say if it was an operational loss or from enemy fire.

Not that it makes it any better or worse, but my reporters are saying that the national break-down of the incident was slightly different, with 12 British commandoes and 4 American aviators being on board the helicopter when it crashed. :cry:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Sea Skimmer

Re: First Casulties

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Master of Ossus wrote:
TrailerParkJawa wrote:Damn, there is a report that a Sea Knight crashed with 12 US Marines and 4 British aboard, they are saying all were killed. Does not say if it was an operational loss or from enemy fire.

Not that it makes it any better or worse, but my reporters are saying that the national break-down of the incident was slightly different, with 12 British commandoes and 4 American aviators being on board the helicopter when it crashed. :cry:
See the above couple posts
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

.. I'm shocked by the amount of.. "teary" sympathy. We're at WAR people! 16 deaths are not a bad thing during war, theyre a GOOD thing, because normally it would be 1,600 deaths, or 16,000! Shit, during the first world war the brits lots 60,000 people in a single day.

16 deaths is incredibly low and we should be glad its only 16. Stop being such pussies about 16 deaths. Mourn for the people who die by the thousands from pathetically simple things like alcohol or motorvehicle accidents, not 16 soldiers whos jobs it was to do exactly what they did.

If it was mechanical failure, they'll triple check helis in the future and ensure that noone else dies needlessly, but the soldiers know this is nothing and shouldn't be cried over, as should you.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I hate to break it to you guys, but they weren't the first casualties.

Anyone watch the footage of the bombings and cruise missile strikes?

The poor fuckers on the receiving end of those were the first casualties.

And on a sidenote, I see that the Apache is continuing its fine legacy of falling out of the air for no apparent reason.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

kojikun wrote:.. I'm shocked by the amount of.. "teary" sympathy. We're at WAR people! 16 deaths are not a bad thing during war, theyre a GOOD thing, because normally it would be 1,600 deaths, or 16,000! Shit, during the first world war the brits lots 60,000 people in a single day.

16 deaths is incredibly low and we should be glad its only 16. Stop being such pussies about 16 deaths. Mourn for the people who die by the thousands from pathetically simple things like alcohol or motorvehicle accidents, not 16 soldiers whos jobs it was to do exactly what they did.

If it was mechanical failure, they'll triple check helis in the future and ensure that noone else dies needlessly, but the soldiers know this is nothing and shouldn't be cried over, as should you.
Are you seriously suggesting that it's GOOD that 16 people died? Obviously we're thankful that the number isn't far greater, but to claim that others cannot be sympathetic towards the people who died is to shamlessly ignore their sacrifice. Everyone there has had to make a personal decision to put their lives on the line. These people now represent the courage, dedication, and commitment of everyone who died over there. It is possible to mourn for the few, while being glad that there are still many others who are safe. What part of these positions are mutually exclusive?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I'm saying that its GOOD that ONLY 16 people died. I'm saying that people here should be cheering the fact that we've gotten so good at fighting wars that we can not get thousands killed in the first day alone. I'm saying that people shouldn't be virtual weeping over a meager 16 people and should save their tears for the thousands of dead, should they come.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

damnit stupid double post >_<