The few, the dumb....

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Colonel Olrik wrote:Ah AAAHH AAHHHH!!!!!!!!

I absolutely must tell this story!

Today I went to work with a Gant shirt, which has an U.S flag well visible in the front.

When I went out to lunch, a man approached me and asked me if I had no shame.

I asked him then what the fuck was he talking about.

It turns out, I was guilty of supporting oil thirsty warmongers, who were kiling thousands of innocent people.

I honestly became speechless for a moment, due to the amount of stupidity. Then, I said "you're sad. Have a very nice day" and moved on, leaving the idiot standing there.
Try approaching him wearing a shirt with the Iraqi flag on it, and see what he says.

Also, were there any wars in all of history that were ended by a bounch of people carrying signs? Protests don't do much except excersize freedom of assembly and protest to me. That and block traffic.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Re: The few, the dumb....

Post by Next of Kin »

Durran Korr wrote:
Because he seemed like an at least slightly better alternative than the Iraqi ayatollahs at the time. It's not like he was our handpicked dictator.
Of cousre. If Iraq fell to Iran then that would have plunged the region into disarray. However, that doesn't excuse a mad man for killing his own people in 1988. Yet, despite his attrocities he was still an ally.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Next of Kin wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:
Because he seemed like an at least slightly better alternative than the Iraqi ayatollahs at the time. It's not like he was our handpicked dictator.
Of cousre. If Iraq fell to Iran then that would have plunged the region into disarray. However, that doesn't excuse a mad man for killing his own people in 1988. Yet, despite his attrocities he was still an ally.
Yes, and the fact that the Soviet Union had been killing people by the millions long before Hitler killed his first Jew didn't stop much of the western world from considering it an ally. This is reality.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Next of Kin wrote:Of cousre. If Iraq fell to Iran then that would have plunged the region into disarray. However, that doesn't excuse a mad man for killing his own people in 1988. Yet, despite his attrocities he was still an ally.
While we should have made a serious effort to curtail that kind of behaviour (and it was wrong to just let it slide) he was at the time the lesser of two evils. Frankly we should have taken him out in the Gulf War 1. But as they say sins of the father....
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Durran Korr wrote:Yes, and the fact that the Soviet Union had been killing people by the millions long before Hitler killed his first Jew didn't stop much of the western world from considering it an ally. This is reality.
Its okay to turn a blind eye on a tyrannical government when they're helping us but as soon as they get too big for their own good then is it fair to condemn them for the same attrocities they made when they were an ally?
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Stormbringer wrote: [
While we should have made a serious effort to curtail that kind of behaviour (and it was wrong to just let it slide) he was at the time the lesser of two evils. Frankly we should have taken him out in the Gulf War 1. But as they say sins of the father....
Stormbringer, I don't like Saddam one bit. I would have been happier if in 1988 the U.S. took a step back and gave their strategic ally a good, hard look and realized that Saddam was nutz for gassing his own people, and then deposed of him once and for all.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Next of Kin wrote:Stormbringer, I don't like Saddam one bit. I would have been happier if in 1988 the U.S. took a step back and gave their strategic ally a good, hard look and realized that Saddam was nutz for gassing his own people, and then deposed of him once and for all.
I don't like him any more than you do. The problem was we believed we needed him (and we might well have, who knows) and we didn't want to take the chance of deposing him. It was stupid indeed and we should have fixed it after Desert Storm.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Next of Kin wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:Yes, and the fact that the Soviet Union had been killing people by the millions long before Hitler killed his first Jew didn't stop much of the western world from considering it an ally. This is reality.
Its okay to turn a blind eye on a tyrannical government when they're helping us but as soon as they get too big for their own good then is it fair to condemn them for the same attrocities they made when they were an ally?
Right, that's what I said. What I said was turning a blind eye to the atrocities committed by an ally is nothing new, and it's certainly not unique to the U.S.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

I heard on some of the news channels that the protestors turned violent in San Fransico. Hmm, stop the war for what reason again? Oh that's right, because we're only doing it for the oil. What ever, you may have the right to protest, but Olrik, I could not have ended that situation peacefully. If I was being patriotic, (which I might add, the boss at work last year, bought us all US flag Tshirts to wear on the 9-11 anniversary) and someone came up to me like that, there'd be some fucked up people on the streets. It shouldn't be too hard to take out a hippie, could it?

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am