Political Forum?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Should we add a Politics Forum?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 53

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

yeah. Im always interested in politics. that wont end with the iraq war.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

There's never nothing to talk about in Politics. OT and Morality seem to have it covered, but the thread pushing aspect is not a good thing. This doesn't seem like a slippery slope we're going down as far as I know; it seems extremly unlikely that we'll suddenly have a flood of topics that need entire boards dedicated to them. Similarly I don't think there will be any lack of things to post on the OT and Morality boards if there is suddenly a new home for political threads.

But it should go in the Sewer next to the HoS, because this IS politics we're talking about. :wink:
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

In less than 24 hours, this thread got pushed to the second page. A perfect illustration of how cluttered OT is, I think.

Bump.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

I guess we can either talk about politics or Anal sex 1 in the same I guess.. :P
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I've logged onto OT and every single thread on the first page has been marked unread. This is after a few hours or at most half a day offline, not four or five days or something.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

The good stuff moves to page to by morning most days.. BTW Red are you a Glenn Beck fan just checking..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I support the "Kelly" initiative for a new political forum.

Although .... it might have to be specifically stated which topics belong in this new forum (gun control, israel, iraq, etc), as there might be some confusion as to what constitutes a political vs moral discussion. Eg: Some country passes a law forcing creationism in school. That's prime science and morality fodder.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

theski wrote:The good stuff moves to page to by morning most days.. BTW Red are you a Glenn Beck fan just checking..
Never heard of him in my entire life.
X-Ray Blues
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Red, He is a radio Talk guy out of Phily..
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Iggy votes yes.
JADAFETWA
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

theski wrote:Red, He is a radio Talk guy out of Phily..
Oh! D'oh! I know who you're talking about now. He's on 1210AM. I think I've caught his show from time to time.
X-Ray Blues
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Red, That is him The show is a little less serious than Rush 8)
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

We don't need one.
When the war in Iraq is over noone will be talking about politics anymore (well at least not as much as these days).

When we finally get the new board version and sub-forums this won't be an issue anymore, tho.
Supermod
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Cpt_Frank wrote:We don't need one.
When the war in Iraq is over noone will be talking about politics anymore (well at least not as much as these days).
Everyone EXCEPT Ted, maybe.
When we finally get the new board version and sub-forums this won't be an issue anymore, tho.
Eh?
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Kelly Antilles wrote:
Eh?
IIRC the newest version of phpBB will have sub-forums.
But I'm not sure if it's out yet or when/if we're going to update.
Supermod
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Cpt_Frank wrote: IIRC the newest version of phpBB will have sub-forums.
But I'm not sure if it's out yet or when/if we're going to update.
Oooooooooooh, okay. That makes sense now.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I don't think we really need a dedicated politics forum. It'd just make the index page more cluttered.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Political Forum?

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Kelly Antilles wrote:With all that is happening in our world, it seems OT has been overly crowded with political debates. Perhaps we need to put politics in its own forum so that those of us who do not want to debate politics can find the non-political threads easier?
As others have said, political threads tend to come and go. Another problem with them is the some tend to degenerate into massive and pointless flamewars that don't really resolve anything. So no, this board doesn't really need a political forum.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: Political Forum?

Post by RedImperator »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:As others have said, political threads tend to come and go. Another problem with them is the some tend to degenerate into massive and pointless flamewars that don't really resolve anything. So no, this board doesn't really need a political forum.
Some of them will degenerate into massive flamewars no matter what forum they're in. And they might degenerate into flamewars less often if there are mods whose duties consist entirely of preventing political threads from degenerating into flamewars, which would be the job description of the political forum mods.

There's always going to be political threads, even if not quite so many as are materializing right now. I doubt such a forum would be any less busy than Pure Star Trek is. And OT is really cluttered--it would be good for the OT forum, I think, to reduce some of the volume in there.
X-Ray Blues
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Ok, now looking at the front page, I think that we should have a political forum, but a temporary War forum.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite