Another victim of no-knock raids and police militarization

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Another victim of no-knock raids and police militarizati

Post by Elheru Aran »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:It is shocking because it's obviously the right thing to do. Though if there is a legal process that has to be followed in these situations then what choice does the county council have?
You would think that they could take a special vote to compensate the family. Refusing to do so makes them look callous at the very least, regardless of what their rules may dictate.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:It is shocking because it's obviously the right thing to do. Though if there is a legal process that has to be followed in these situations then what choice does the county council have?
I believe so, yes. However, I would also suspect that a majority of their constituents are in disbelief that it is really a legal issue. Even still, how many times has someone did something that was "right" even though they didn't have the authority (legality) to do it? I'm sure some lawyer could find some loophole if the County was indeed serious about making remediations to the family.

Or...they could just go ahead and do the right thing and win the PR aspect of it.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I cant think of any POSSIBLE reason why they would be Prohibited from doing so. I can see maybe not being obligated to due to liability, but they would still have the option. Hell, they are likely civilly liable. There is a real case to be made for negligence. Bad warrant, lack of proper surveillance, plain view evidence of children, tossing grenades blindly into enclosed spaces. Then, there is the public verbal contract. There is ample precedent in Georgia to think that the promise to pay the medical expenses is enforcable in civil court as a verbal contract.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Rycon67
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Rycon67 »

I'm seriously hoping that one or more of the officers involved gets killed at some point. Fucking pigs.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Remember folks. Accidents should be punishable by death!
Milites Astrum Exterminans
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Sure and after this accident, which they did on bad intel and ignoring the signs of children in the house, the police officers lied to the mother and said he was just fine and she didn't know what had happened until afterwards and she saw the same photos we did. Our heroes, or more likely, macho tough guys with penis envy who shouldn't be allowed to own guns, let alone given a badge and the authority behind it.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Remember folks. Accidents should be punishable by death!
Armed men breaking into people's houses and throwing grenades around isn't an accident. An accident that only happens because you are being dangerously negligent is still your fault.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Grumman wrote:
Armed men breaking into people's houses and throwing grenades around isn't an accident. An accident that only happens because you are being dangerously negligent is still your fault.
So you believe they threw the grenade at the child intentionally?
His Divine Shadow wrote:Sure and after this accident, which they did on bad intel and ignoring the signs of children in the house, the police officers lied to the mother and said he was just fine and she didn't know what had happened until afterwards and she saw the same photos we did. Our heroes, or more likely, macho tough guys with penis envy who shouldn't be allowed to own guns, let alone given a badge and the authority behind it.

So you both agree that they should be executed?
His Divine Shadow

I believe they shouldn't be police officers, even if they didn't throw it in the crib on purpose they tried to cover it up and prevented the mother from even seeing her screaming child. I think they belong in orange jump suits for life. I think the whole SWAT team should be dissolved and have all their toys taken away, and no knock raids should be made so fucking illegal it'd make selling nukes to terrorists look like jay walking by comparison.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

His Divine Shadow wrote:I believe they shouldn't be police officers, even if they didn't throw it in the crib on purpose they tried to cover it up and prevented the mother from even seeing her screaming child. I think they belong in orange jump suits for life. I think the whole SWAT team should be dissolved and have all their toys taken away, and no knock raids should be made so fucking illegal it'd make selling nukes to terrorists look like jay walking by comparison.
Okay well maybe you didn't realize this but the post of mine that you quoted was mocking someone who wished death on the officers involved. Your reply and now this post have nothing to do with that. So why the fuck did you quote me?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Grumman wrote:
So you believe they threw the grenade at the child intentionally?
I believe they intentionally did something unnecessarily dangerous that makes accidents like this much more likely to occur. No-knock entries are justified for hostage situations, not because you're trying to protect theoretical evidence of theoretical criminal activity.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Grumman wrote: I believe they intentionally did something unnecessarily dangerous that makes accidents like this much more likely to occur. No-knock entries are justified for hostage situations, not because you're trying to protect theoretical evidence of theoretical criminal activity.
So, you do agree that it was an accident. I agree that it was an accident borne out of cowboy machismo and that those responsible should pay. My question is Grumman is do they deserve to be executed?
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Nah. Not executed. Kneecapped in one leg, sure. But not killed.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Highlord Laan wrote:Nah. Not executed. Kneecapped in one leg, sure. But not killed.
Okay. So, if the accident is serious enough you believe in torture?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Grumman wrote: I believe they intentionally did something unnecessarily dangerous that makes accidents like this much more likely to occur. No-knock entries are justified for hostage situations, not because you're trying to protect theoretical evidence of theoretical criminal activity.
So, you do agree that it was an accident. I agree that it was an accident borne out of cowboy machismo and that those responsible should pay. My question is Grumman is do they deserve to be executed?
They deserve to be hoist by their own petard. The danger to innocent civilians from treating no-knock entries as a tool of first resort obviously doesn't dissuade the police from using it, but the headline "Cop Dies In Botched No-Knock Entry" might.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Grumman wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
They deserve to be hoist by their own petard. The danger to innocent civilians from treating no-knock entries as a tool of first resort obviously doesn't dissuade the police from using it, but the headline "Cop Dies In Botched No-Knock Entry" might.
I'll take that as a "no, they do not deserve to be executed". So, I will ask you the same question. Why the fuck are you quoting me when I was responding to someone that was basically advocating execution?
His Divine Shadow

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote:I believe they shouldn't be police officers, even if they didn't throw it in the crib on purpose they tried to cover it up and prevented the mother from even seeing her screaming child. I think they belong in orange jump suits for life. I think the whole SWAT team should be dissolved and have all their toys taken away, and no knock raids should be made so fucking illegal it'd make selling nukes to terrorists look like jay walking by comparison.
Okay well maybe you didn't realize this but the post of mine that you quoted was mocking someone who wished death on the officers involved. Your reply and now this post have nothing to do with that. So why the fuck did you quote me?
Because I wasn't addressing that part, it was because you played it off as a simple accident done by some otherwise decent people, rather than the cowardly lying fuckholes who lied about what they did to the kid and who I might add, is not the first time they gunned down an entirely innocent person. Nevermind what other departmental corruption must exist here given the shoddy of getting the information from an unreliable source of where to strike in the first place and lack of double checking etc etc. This whole barrel of apples is so rotten whole new diseases have evolved in it.

And this is a forum, other people replying to something you aimed at someone else happens.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Because I wasn't addressing that part, it was because you played it off as a simple accident done by some otherwise decent people, rather than the cowardly lying fuckholes who lied about what they did to the kid and who I might add, is not the first time they gunned down an entirely innocent person. Nevermind what other departmental corruption must exist here given the shoddy of getting the information from an unreliable source of where to strike in the first place and lack of double checking etc etc. This whole barrel of apples is so rotten whole new diseases have evolved in it.

And this is a forum, other people replying to something you aimed at someone else happens.
It was an accident. An accident due to bullshit...something which I stated at the start of this thread.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The problem is that people are seeing "accident" as a trivialising term.

The only "accident" is where the weapon that shouldn't have been used in the home invasion that shouldn't have taken place actually landed.

The "accident" part of what happened here is not what people are actually addressing when they talk about the actions of the police involved, which were not accidental, they didn't accidentally use the grenade, they didn't accidentally raid that house.

They did those things because the police in the US is massively over-militarised and seems to prefer to sit in an adversarial relationship with the rest of the public, and because they were negligent in their duty to ensure that they were executing a warrant on reasonable grounds.

This wasn't an "accident", it was negligence bordering on incompetence exacerbated by a fundamentally broken approach to policing.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

the criminial negligence exists for a reason you know. If I sign off a house that collapses and kills someone, I go to jail. I just missed a decimal point, just an accident.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Vendetta wrote:The problem is that people are seeing "accident" as a trivialising term.

The only "accident" is where the weapon that shouldn't have been used in the home invasion that shouldn't have taken place actually landed.

The "accident" part of what happened here is not what people are actually addressing when they talk about the actions of the police involved, which were not accidental, they didn't accidentally use the grenade, they didn't accidentally raid that house.

They did those things because the police in the US is massively over-militarised and seems to prefer to sit in an adversarial relationship with the rest of the public, and because they were negligent in their duty to ensure that they were executing a warrant on reasonable grounds.

This wasn't an "accident", it was negligence bordering on incompetence exacerbated by a fundamentally broken approach to policing.
Sounds more like poor information analysis, though your post sounds like you're overusing the term 'accident' now and it seems like you're almost purposely making it hard to read. Took me ten minutes to parse that. Good job there.

That aside, the 'accident' as Kamakazie Sith seems to see it is that the flashbang could've landed nowhere near the child as much as it could've landed on the child. The problem as you seem to see it is that the poor analysis of their information which they believed apparently did point to that house, but it was flat out wrong. Whether that poor analysis was due to bad root information or actual bad analysis, it seems to be a common theme, at least with most of the stories that get posted. Though before I say the poor analysis is a theme overall I'd wonder how many warrants are wrong versus warrants served, versus stories I just see here which just seem to be the traumatic dramatic rant inspiring ones.

Overmilitarization is another theme altogether, and an 'accident', whatever you want to try to apply that term to, could've happened with whatever equipment the police are carrying, even if they were raiding the 'right' house, and you'd still be bitching anyway.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Vendetta wrote:The problem is that people are seeing "accident" as a trivialising term.
It sounds like nitpicking to me. I was addressing internet tough guy bullshit.

Negligence is one of the reasons why accidents take place but that doesn't mean the event is not an accident and just because an event is an accident does not mean you are not criminally liable.
Rycon67
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Rycon67 »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/report-nw- ... sel/ng7fH/

Some good news out of the area though.

I hope he pissed himself when he died. He lived like a pig, he died like a pig. Fucking trash.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

what? is there information you have that's not in the article?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Rycon67 wrote:http://www.ajc.com/news/news/report-nw- ... sel/ng7fH/

Some good news out of the area though.

I hope he pissed himself when he died. He lived like a pig, he died like a pig. Fucking trash.
Jesus, can we get this asshole moderated out already?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!