Police are not on your side, don't ask them for help

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Re: Police are not on your side, don't ask them for help

Post by Alferd Packer »

TheFeniX wrote:I've had an officer fish for information from me. He came up with a line about how a truck matching the description of mine was involved in a beer robbery at a convenience store. I made a Bud Light crack because I was sure that's what they stole (and it was). I also told the officer I'd be "monumentally stupid" to commit any crime in my truck and think I could get away without everyone knowing it was me.
Honestly, I get the the urge to try and clear your own name, but you really shouldn't have said anything. Because of civl forfeiture, it's actually better to shut the fuck up and get arrested than it is to try to talk your way out of something. If you're arrested, procedure must be followed and your rights must be respected. Civil forfeiture allows a cop to basically rob you blind and send you on your way, if he or she so chooses, and to get your stuff back, you need to prove your innocence, rather than them needing to prove your guilt.

I realize I'm a bit of a broken record at this point, but I really do want to hammer this home: unless you or someone else is in imminent danger of bodily harm or death, never ever speak to a police officer. Nothing good will ever come of it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Is America really this 3rd world shit hole ruled by paranoid rogue cops with seemingly lots of free time to indulge themselves or are people hyperventilating with their tin foil hat paranoia themselves... I mean seriously reccomending not to ever talk to a cop and refusing to allow police to have a look in your trunk? The media might love their stories of police brutality every so often but in a country of 300 million their not exactly endemic...
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think, Tanner, that the answer is "a little from column A, a little from column B."

Also, one thing that's being elided here is that while there are occasions where it is to your advantage to speak to the police, in those cases it would be MORE advantageous to speak to the police with your lawyer present. The lawyer can act as witness to any illegitimate actions or tactics (should those occur), clear up misunderstands that result from the average person's lack of legal knowledge, and counsel the client against answering questions or volunteering information that could be used to (falsely or truly) incriminate her.

This is not just because of berserk Third World-style police. It is because if you say the wrong thing to a police officer there is a very real danger you'll wind up in jail, even if the police officer acts in good faith.

And even that applies mainly to people being pulled over for traffic stops or who are being questioned in connection to a crime. Basically, if the police are trying to find out if you've committed a crime, it is probably not to your advantage to give them ammunition. If you don't have to let them open the trunk, there is no reason to let them open the trunk or search anything. If you do, then there's always the chance that they'll discover evidence of some regulatory infraction that lands you in real trouble.... probably even an infraction you didn't intend to commit, but it still counts.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Alferd Packer wrote: Honestly, I get the the urge to try and clear your own name, but you really shouldn't have said anything. Because of civl forfeiture, it's actually better to shut the fuck up and get arrested than it is to try to talk your way out of something. If you're arrested, procedure must be followed and your rights must be respected. Civil forfeiture allows a cop to basically rob you blind and send you on your way, if he or she so chooses, and to get your stuff back, you need to prove your innocence, rather than them needing to prove your guilt.

I realize I'm a bit of a broken record at this point, but I really do want to hammer this home: unless you or someone else is in imminent danger of bodily harm or death, never ever speak to a police officer. Nothing good will ever come of it.
I'm curious about something, Alferd. You recommend that people "shut the fuck up" when dealing with police and then provide an example. What I'm curious about is your example does not involve anyone talking to the police. If Fenix was face to face with this deputy he could have sat there silently and he still would have had any large sums of money confiscated simply because the deputy conducted an illegal stop, conducted an illegal search, and then illegally seized the money without probable cause that it was profit from a crime. So, how would remaining silent make any difference at all?
Milites Astrum Exterminans
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Darth Tanner wrote:Is America really this 3rd world shit hole ruled by paranoid rogue cops with seemingly lots of free time to indulge themselves or are people hyperventilating with their tin foil hat paranoia themselves... I mean seriously reccomending not to ever talk to a cop and refusing to allow police to have a look in your trunk? The media might love their stories of police brutality every so often but in a country of 300 million their not exactly endemic...
There's enough stories of police planting evidence in people's trunks that it's not an undeserved paranoia. Especially if you're a bit on the darker skinned side.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Alferd Packer wrote: Honestly, I get the the urge to try and clear your own name, but you really shouldn't have said anything. Because of civl forfeiture, it's actually better to shut the fuck up and get arrested than it is to try to talk your way out of something. If you're arrested, procedure must be followed and your rights must be respected. Civil forfeiture allows a cop to basically rob you blind and send you on your way, if he or she so chooses, and to get your stuff back, you need to prove your innocence, rather than them needing to prove your guilt.

I'm curious about something, Alferd. You recommend that people "shut the fuck up" when dealing with police and then provide an example. What I'm curious about is your example does not involve anyone talking to the police. If Fenix was face to face with this deputy he could have sat there silently and he still would have had any large sums of money confiscated simply because the deputy conducted an illegal stop, conducted an illegal search, and then illegally seized the money without probable cause that it was profit from a crime. So, how would remaining silent make any difference at all?
In point of fact, there are some towns in texas that have had their police departments throwin into federal prison on racketeering convictions for doing exactly that.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:I'm curious about something, Alferd. You recommend that people "shut the fuck up" when dealing with police and then provide an example. What I'm curious about is your example does not involve anyone talking to the police. If Fenix was face to face with this deputy he could have sat there silently and he still would have had any large sums of money confiscated simply because the deputy conducted an illegal stop, conducted an illegal search, and then illegally seized the money without probable cause that it was profit from a crime. So, how would remaining silent make any difference at all?
For the record, this was at a Whataburger drive-thru at like 3am. The officer was inside and came to the drive-thru window. I laughed out loud when he said "matching the description of your truck" because it was so absurd based on any angle you view the truck from. There's like 2-3 easily noticeable distinguishing features any way you slice it. I'm sure if there even was a robbery, the "description" was probably "red truck." If it had been my truck, at the least the description would have been "as it drove away, I noticed some kind of roll-bar and a big ass BF Goodrich tire mounted in the bed."

But neither I nor the cop was rude. He probably had me pegged as drunk and wanted to see if I was up to something. I wasn't, so I got my extreme sausage sandwiches and went home.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:I'm curious about something, Alferd. You recommend that people "shut the fuck up" when dealing with police and then provide an example. What I'm curious about is your example does not involve anyone talking to the police. If Fenix was face to face with this deputy he could have sat there silently and he still would have had any large sums of money confiscated simply because the deputy conducted an illegal stop, conducted an illegal search, and then illegally seized the money without probable cause that it was profit from a crime. So, how would remaining silent make any difference at all?
Civil forfeiture is legal, to varying degrees of permissiveness, in 37 states. If a deputy has a bug up his ass and decides to seize your stuff, it is better to keep silent because he cannot then later say that you gave him permission to search your vehicle or person, depending upon the justification he requires to seize your assets. Well, he can say it, but your lawyer can later, in court, put forth the claim that you never said anything of the sort, because you never said anything.

Let me add this, then: remaining silent doesn't help you at the time of the incident, it only doesn't hurt you. Waiving that right by speaking only hurts you. Even if you are perfectly reasonable, eloquent, compliant, and polite, you can at any time royally fuck yourself by misspeaking once. Take Fenix's example. He joked with the cop and it turned out fine. What happens if the cop is more suspicious of Fenix? He could very well be arrested for for the robbery. And when his day in court arrives, the prosecuting attorney puts the cop on the stand, and something like this happens:

DA: "Officer Cop, when you stopped the defendant's vehicle, was there anything he said or did that made you suspicious?"
Cop: "As a matter of fact, yes. When I mentioned the beer robbery, I never mentioned what kind of beer was stolen. The defendant said--correctly--that Bud Light was stolen. And I wondered how he knew that."

And the more Fenix's attorney protests that it was just a lucky guess, the less credible he seems. A simple remark has brought Fenix that much closer to being convicted of crime he did not commit.

Of course, the above is most assuredly a worst-case scenario, but that doesn't mean it cannot or has not happened. The cop doesn't need to be a dick, or malicious, or abuse his power. He could honestly believe that, because of something Fenix said, he was the guy that knocked over that convenience store.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Alferd Packer wrote:DA: "Officer Cop, when you stopped the defendant's vehicle, was there anything he said or did that made you suspicious?"
Cop: "As a matter of fact, yes. When I mentioned the beer robbery, I never mentioned what kind of beer was stolen. The defendant said--correctly--that Bud Light was stolen. And I wondered how he knew that."
Guessing that Texans prefer Bud Light isn't exactly mind-reading, but I more than get your point.

The biggest problem for the cop (and one I was well aware of) in that instance was that at the time of the "robbery" (~11pm by the cop's admission) I was at a Houston bar buying ridiculously over-priced alcohol for a friend's birthday party on my credit card, but not drinking myself because I prefer not to get everyone killed. Even if he was lying by an hour either way, I still wasn't anywhere in that part of town and had toll and credit card charges to prove it.

But yes, if the cop wanted to be a dick, he could have pushed the issue and cost the city thousands in tax-payer dollars after I sued the ever-loving shit out of the County. That's his prerogative.
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

The idea that talking to cops can never help is ridiculous. It depends entirely on the situation. For something major like a felony, sure, lawyer up as fast as possible. But for minor things, police have a pretty broad latitude, and if you're polite and respectful, you might just get a warning, or issued an appearance date instead of being hailed to the station in cuffs. Even if you get an asshole cop, if you play along with their power trip, they might let you go, but if you spoil their fun, they might drag you down to the station to "teach you some respect." Although, I'm not sure I would mind an asshole cop (provably) illegally arresting me. One of my law teachers has a lot of experience in that area, and said he averaged 10k per night in jail for his clients.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Except getting sent to jail can jeopardize your job. $10k is nice and all, but having a job is nicer. Even if you turn out to have been wrongfully arrested, your employer is under no obligation to rehire you, and if you did something that got you arrested obviously you have a problem with authority. So... Best to not do anything that could get you arrested, even if you could prove that the arrest was wrongful and you were owed money for it.

It's already been said how to keep any interactions with the police. Be polite, don't volunteer information, keep your hands where they can be seen, all that fun stuff.

Me, I haven't had any bad face-to-face interactions. Then again, all I've had is the officers that got to do that DARE nonsense and when I talked to an officer in San Diego after the car I was riding in broke down on the freeway. He was pretty chill about everything and nothing came of it. Just basically told him that the power died completely and that's where we could get pulled over to. Basically, just a case of him making sure we knew to stay to the side out of the way of traffic while a tow truck came. (The alternator had apparently died, so the battery just slowly drained to nothingness.)

Though I do remember the cop following me for a few miles likely hoping for an excuse to pull me over. I looked like I was probably in high school, and from what I've heard a lot of police like to target young kids for traffic citations to teach them a lesson or something. He ended up deciding I wasn't gonna give him an excuse and stopped following me a few miles later. I know he was following me specifically because I saw him sitting in the parking lot a bit away, and then immediately following me out as I left. Protip: If you want to pull someone over, be less obvious about targeting them to follow.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Protip: If you want to pull someone over, be less obvious about targeting them to follow.
Could've been the whole point. If one knows somebody's watching, is one more or less likely to break the rules?

Obviously I'm not accusing you of anything, just laying out a possible thought process for the cop. I heard a story on Car Talk once where a guy drove a retired police Crown Vic, and he wanted to know if Click and Clack had any ideas for how to keep people from automatically slowing down when he got behind them. :mrgreen:
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PKRudeBoy wrote:The idea that talking to cops can never help is ridiculous. It depends entirely on the situation. For something major like a felony, sure, lawyer up as fast as possible. But for minor things, police have a pretty broad latitude, and if you're polite and respectful, you might just get a warning, or issued an appearance date instead of being hailed to the station in cuffs.
I don't think Alferd's advocating giving police the silent treatment as such. The point is, it's unwise to volunteer information that might (through plain bad luck if nothing else, even if you're innocent) be used against you in court. Or to allow the police more latitude to search your stuff and risk them finding something that's illegal that you didn't even know was illegal, or had forgotten about.

Being polite and respectful is not the same thing as volunteering to be searched and questioned.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

Simon_Jester wrote:
PKRudeBoy wrote:The idea that talking to cops can never help is ridiculous. It depends entirely on the situation. For something major like a felony, sure, lawyer up as fast as possible. But for minor things, police have a pretty broad latitude, and if you're polite and respectful, you might just get a warning, or issued an appearance date instead of being hailed to the station in cuffs.
I don't think Alferd's advocating giving police the silent treatment as such. The point is, it's unwise to volunteer information that might (through plain bad luck if nothing else, even if you're innocent) be used against you in court. Or to allow the police more latitude to search your stuff and risk them finding something that's illegal that you didn't even know was illegal, or had forgotten about.

Being polite and respectful is not the same thing as volunteering to be searched and questioned.
I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying, and while I disagree with it, I can understand the reasoning behind it. If you're in an area where shit like civil forfeiture happens on a regular basis, or you're a minority in a lot of the US, that might actually be decent advice to follow, because if you don't fit the local LEO's idea of 'right person' they can absolutely fuck you over, with at most a slap on their wrist after. It's just that's not always the case, and if you're in an area where the community has a good relationship with the police, talking to them may be helpful. Even then it might not be, because if you run into a dick cop in a bad mood, they can almost always find something to give you a hard time about, but it's not an absolute.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Except getting sent to jail can jeopardize your job. $10k is nice and all, but having a job is nicer. Even if you turn out to have been wrongfully arrested, your employer is under no obligation to rehire you, and if you did something that got you arrested obviously you have a problem with authority. So... Best to not do anything that could get you arrested, even if you could prove that the arrest was wrongful and you were owed money for it.
Oh I'm not saying it's a good idea to go out and try for it to happen, because provoking the police absolutely will get you arrested, and legally too. And if you work in certain fields, it can absolutely screw things up.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

StarSword wrote:I heard a story on Car Talk once where a guy drove a retired police Crown Vic, and he wanted to know if Click and Clack had any ideas for how to keep people from automatically slowing down when he got behind them. :mrgreen:
Did they have a good answer to that question? The drunks hit the brakes so fast when they notice my taxi (which is clearly marked, including a roof light) behind them, I've almost rear-ended a few without tailgating.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

PKRudeBoy wrote:I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying, and while I disagree with it, I can understand the reasoning behind it. If you're in an area where shit like civil forfeiture happens on a regular basis, or you're a minority in a lot of the US, that might actually be decent advice to follow, because if you don't fit the local LEO's idea of 'right person' they can absolutely fuck you over, with at most a slap on their wrist after. It's just that's not always the case, and if you're in an area where the community has a good relationship with the police, talking to them may be helpful. Even then it might not be, because if you run into a dick cop in a bad mood, they can almost always find something to give you a hard time about, but it's not an absolute.
Yes, that's correct; I do stand by my statement that you should never speak to a police officer. Listen, as a white male, age 18-49, I know that I'm in the least likely group to be targeted by a police officer, so the odds of me personally being harassed are low. Even still, were I to be stopped for any reason, I would politely comply with everything the officer asks me to do, but I wouldn't say anything beyond greetings and other pleasantries. Here's an example I particularly like: let's assume I got pulled over. I was doing 50 in a 35. Here's what I (and probably most of us) would say, were I not resolved not to speak to police.

Cop: "Do you know know how fast you were going?"
Me(because I want to appear contrite and helpful): "Oh, I don't know. 38, 40?"

I have just admitted to the officer that I have broken the law. Now there's no way for me to contest the ticket in court, because the officer can say, "He admitted to me that he was speeding, so I issued him a citation." Case closed, my insurance goes up for three years.

Cops have a job to do, and that job includes nabbing speeders, like myself. I don't have to help him by admitting guilt on the spot. My being silent does not hinder the officer in the discharge of his duties, and it ensures my rights are protected, should I desire to contest the ticket at a later time.

But OK, let's go the other way. Can you come up with a situation where talking to the police, more often than not, will provide a better outcome?

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Alferd Packer wrote:But OK, let's go the other way. Can you come up with a situation where talking to the police, more often than not, will provide a better outcome?
When you're a witness to or victim of a crime who is sober and has a clear criminal record (caveat: I have not tested this while being non-white), talking to the police will more often than not provide a better outcome. Even then, a minority of them will still try to fuck you, though - I once had a cop grill me looking for anything he could pin on me after I called in a collision caused by a girl who was literally falling down drunk after she got out of her car, for no reason that I could perceive other than possibly being an asshole or wanting to have sex with the drunk girl.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:So... Best to not do anything that could get you arrested, even if you could prove that the arrest was wrongful and you were owed money for it.
I'd love to hear your tips on how to avoid being pointed out as someone who vaguely fit the description of a suspect the police were looking for.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Raw Shark wrote:
StarSword wrote:I heard a story on Car Talk once where a guy drove a retired police Crown Vic, and he wanted to know if Click and Clack had any ideas for how to keep people from automatically slowing down when he got behind them. :mrgreen:
Did they have a good answer to that question? The drunks hit the brakes so fast when they notice my taxi (which is clearly marked, including a roof light) behind them, I've almost rear-ended a few without tailgating.
Wow. :shock: What color's the taxi? Because they must've been really plastered if it was a yellow one.

The suggestion I remember was making the car look a little less like an unmarked by, for example, getting some fuzzy dice to hang from your rear view.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Raw Shark wrote:

Gunny in my office has a white Dodge Charger with a cow-catcher over the front grill(he totaled his last car hitting a deer). He also has a high and tight. He gets people who think he's a cop all the time.

Well Gunny sounds like it's a problem of your own divisement.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

General Zod wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:So... Best to not do anything that could get you arrested, even if you could prove that the arrest was wrongful and you were owed money for it.
I'd love to hear your tips on how to avoid being pointed out as someone who vaguely fit the description of a suspect the police were looking for.
In the event you get pulled over, don't be a dick. There's only so much that can be done, but it's still good to avoid doing things that are most likely to be antagonistic. Trying to piss off a cop into arresting you on bullshit reasons is a horrid idea, regardless of if you can prove the arrest was illegal.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

StarSword wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:
Wow. :shock: What color's the taxi? Because they must've been really plastered if it was a yellow one.
Orange and white, but yeah, they were. Honestly if I was a cop, I'd peg them as hammered just for doing this. Hey KS (or anybody), is that legitimate probable cause for a traffic stop?
StarSword wrote:The suggestion I remember was making the car look a little less like an unmarked by, for example, getting some fuzzy dice to hang from your rear view.
Can't have my view obstructed downtown or I'll miss customers; otherwise I'dve had fuzzy 3d6 hanging from my mirror for nine years now. :]

If the big lit-up taxi sign on my roof isn't enough of a dead giveaway, I'm thinking it's going to take something more drastic.

Rycon67
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Rycon67 »

Also, don't do what this idiot did.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24968980/fore ... er-suspect

When you shoot dead a USDA Park Ranger and K-9, and then attempt to shoot other cops, don't be surprised if you end up dead yourself.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Raw Shark wrote:Orange and white, but yeah, they were. Honestly if I was a cop, I'd peg them as hammered just for doing this. Hey KS (or anybody), is that legitimate probable cause for a traffic stop?
I was riding in the back of a buddy's car when we got pulled over by a state trooper because he was weaving a bit (we were talking and Nick, the driver, got distracted). First words out of the trooper's mouth after asking for license and registration was whether Nick had been drinking (he hadn't been, so the trooper shook his finger at us and sent us on our way). So, yes, driving in a way that makes you look intoxicated is definitely probable cause.
Rycon67 wrote:Also, don't do what this idiot did.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24968980/fore ... er-suspect

When you shoot dead a USDA Park Ranger and K-9, and then attempt to shoot other cops, don't be surprised if you end up dead yourself.
Yeah, single surest way to piss off every cop in the state, if not the entire country, is to kill one of them. Although to hear Jack Webb say it, that's partly because you've already demonstrated you're willing to kill an armed officer, so as far as they know you've got no compunction about killing unarmed civilians.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

StarSword wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:Orange and white, but yeah, they were. Honestly if I was a cop, I'd peg them as hammered just for doing this. Hey KS (or anybody), is that legitimate probable cause for a traffic stop?
I was riding in the back of a buddy's car when we got pulled over by a state trooper because he was weaving a bit (we were talking and Nick, the driver, got distracted). First words out of the trooper's mouth after asking for license and registration was whether Nick had been drinking (he hadn't been, so the trooper shook his finger at us and sent us on our way). So, yes, driving in a way that makes you look intoxicated is definitely probable cause.
I was asking specifically about slowing way down when a Crown Vic that is not a marked cop car gets behind you, not general intoxicated-looking behavior like weaving; sorry if that was unclear.