Pepper spray: Now to beat the lines for sales.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Pepper spray: Now to beat the lines for sales.

Post by SirNitram »

Link
A woman who pepper-sprayed other shoppers Thursday night at the Wal-Mart in Porter Ranch had armed herself with the caustic spray to gain an advantage in the fight for merchandise at the Black Friday sale, a fire captain said.

The woman, who is still being sought, used the spray in more than one area of the Wal-Mart "to gain preferred access to a variety of locations in the store," said Los Angeles Fire Capt. James Carson.

"She was competitive shopping," he said.

Twenty customers, including children, were hurt in the 10:10 p.m. incident. Shoppers complained of minor skin and eye irritation and sore throats, he said.

Black Friday's sales began at the Wal-Mart at 10 p.m. and featured door-buster sales on toys, including $5 Bratz dolls, $10 Wii video games and $29 tricycles.
Because pepper spray is so harmless and easy to neutralize, we now have a chemical weapon being used to beat the rush. No problem with that, surely. [/Sarcasm]
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Pepper spray: Now to beat the lines for sales.

Post by Thanas »

I thought this was the Onion....then I checked the link.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

I saw this earlier too, it's fucking ridiculous.

No thing you're going to buy is so important that it warrants physical assault like that.

On the other hand, the precedent was set less than a month ago that pepper spray is appropriate for use at a peaceful protest by police. I'm not saying that it makes it ok by any stretch, I'm just noticing the correlation. This idiot probably saw it on TV and thought that it must not be that bad. *shakes head*
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

If any of the people assaulted by that woman had suffered from asthma or similar conditions, they could be dead by now.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Tinkerbell wrote:
On the other hand, the precedent was set less than a month ago that pepper spray is appropriate for use at a peaceful protest by police. I'm not saying that it makes it ok by any stretch, I'm just noticing the correlation. This idiot probably saw it on TV and thought that it must not be that bad. *shakes head*
How is this a precedent? Unless she's a cop and had been ordered to remove them from the area, there's nothing even similar.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

She might have had the impression that pepper spray is harmless, only irritating and only in effect while you use it (and not for a long time thereafter). If so, using it like she did seems much more reasonable (yet still assholish).
Or she might just be a reckless asshole, but even then i don't think she would have used it if she were fully aware of the potential consquences of pepper spray - kinda like people tend to be overly trigger-happy with Tasers because they think nothing bad can happen due to them.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Block wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:
How is this a precedent? Unless she's a cop and had been ordered to remove them from the area, there's nothing even similar.
You don't grasp idiots well, I see. I'll run it down.

Pepper spray used -casually- just to move people in the way.
Heavy downplaying of any negative effects.
Major media network calls it a 'food product'.

Basically, enough of this and the less cortex developed will conclude it's a harmless tool for clearing a path for anyone. Hence, this.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If she saw it being used as a harmless way to get people to move, she may have decided it would be awesome in sales. The suggestion is that her decision is a side-effect of downplaying the effect of pepper spray in police use.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

SirNitram wrote:
Block wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:
You don't grasp idiots well, I see. I'll run it down.

Pepper spray used -casually- just to move people in the way.
Heavy downplaying of any negative effects.
Major media network calls it a 'food product'.

Basically, enough of this and the less cortex developed will conclude it's a harmless tool for clearing a path for anyone. Hence, this.
It can't just be that she's a selfish bitch who knew exactly what she was doing but didn't give a fuck because those toys were more important to her than strangers health or happiness? I mean people do get trampled to death at these things, so clearly people don't give a shit how much harm they do to someone else.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Block wrote: It can't just be that she's a selfish bitch who knew exactly what she was doing but didn't give a fuck because those toys were more important to her than strangers health or happiness? I mean people do get trampled to death at these things, so clearly people don't give a shit how much harm they do to someone else.
The causes of someone being trampled to death are very rarely related to the owners of the feet doing the trampling. They're usually due to the press of people far enough back that they don't know someone has fallen, and the fact that when a significant mass of people is moving like that you can't just stop or you're the one being trampled.

If this kind of event has happened at previous black friday retard-a-thons (even if it's just once every couple years) then this is likely a coincidental outbreak of bitchhood on the part of this woman. If, however, this is the first time someone at a mad shopping event has used OC spray to get ahead of the crowd, despite the fact that it's been on the market for some time, then it is more likely that it is related to the recent downplaying of the severity of the effects of the product.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Block wrote:It can't just be that she's a selfish bitch who knew exactly what she was doing but didn't give a fuck because those toys were more important to her than strangers health or happiness? I mean people do get trampled to death at these things, so clearly people don't give a shit how much harm they do to someone else.
If she were smart enough to know exactly what she was doing, she would be smart enough to know she is putting herself in danger of being arrested for assault.

That outweighs any advantage she might gain by getting easy access to cheap sales.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:I thought this was the Onion....then I checked the link.
This is why I stay home on Black Friday.... I really do not need that level of insanity.

I was supposed to work at the shop today, but thanks to Ms. Irresponsible simply deciding not to show up earlier this week I wound up working her shifts and got today off. Woot!

Seriously, the Black Friday shit is getting totally out of hand.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Wait. You work in a shoe repair store. Do you get a Black Friday rush?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You know, even stupid/selfish people rarely want to injure/kill/inflict pain on other people so casually.
If this woman had know that using pepper spray does/risks all of those, i seriously doubt that she would have used it. But of course US-media just recently told her that it is a completely harmless food product, so she didn't think any of this would be the case.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:Wait. You work in a shoe repair store. Do you get a Black Friday rush?
Of course. Not to the degree the store the kiosk is located in gets a Black Friday rush, but in addition to folks planning to come by anyway, we have the folks who think "well, I'll be in store anyway, might as well drop off the boots/shoes/whatever for repair" and a certain number of on the spot emergency repairs every day. With more people funneling through the big store we'll get more foot traffic.

We are not, however, extending our hours today.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

This says a lot about the sort of culture we're making for ourselves and posterity, and it's not pretty.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The stupid bitch probably didn't even think about getting away with it or getting caught or anything when she pulled out the can —all she
"thought" about was beating the person she sprayed to the toaster-oven or whatever the hell she "thought" was important enough to commit assault for.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

I think it's weird that none tried to stop her. Ok, that's pepper spray, but it is short ranged. Throw some heavy shit at her or use a long thing to beat ther up a bit until she drops the spray.

I'm not sure of the legal implications of doing so, but there would be plenty of witnesses (the sprayed people) that would confirm she started it.

That's telling the priorities of the rest of the customers in that moment.

Also, isn't that southern part of the US? Where are trigger-happy gunmen with colts when you need them? (not to kill, but to scare her a bit into surrendering the spray)
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

More than likely nobody wanted to tackle her because she had a can of pepper spray and was spraying people with it. Who the fuck wants to deal with that shit? Also there would be a huge level of confusion in all that, people wouldn't know what was going on, who was spraying who, why, was someone attacked or something. And to add to that you've got people on the floor in pain and who knows maybe vomiting is going on and if you get close you'll probably cop a face full of pepper spray too.

Shit like this is just an ugly mess. Why the fuck do people subject themselves to this even leaving aside the pepper spray in this circumstance, which makes it unique anyway. In general you know if you're going to do any shopping on Black Friday or X-mas Eve you're just asking for trouble.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Stofsk wrote:Shit like this is just an ugly mess. Why the fuck do people subject themselves to this even leaving aside the pepper spray in this circumstance, which makes it unique anyway. In general you know if you're going to do any shopping on Black Friday or X-mas Eve you're just asking for trouble.
Black Friday allows one to acquire more stuff. More stuff makes you a better person.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Gandalf wrote: Black Friday allows one to acquire more stuff. More stuff makes you a better person.
If that was true, then collecting miniatures would make people into Deities...

Anyway, back on topic...

I find it telling this individual apparently sprayed CHILDREN as well.

No one in their right mind is going to try to hurt a child just to get a 'bargain' on anything.

Who wants to lay odds that when this female is caught (I will not call her a woman because that implies some humanity), she'll have mental issues or a criminal background?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

She turned herself in. Plus other BF violence elsewhere.
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - A woman who allegedly fired pepper spray at other customers during a Black Friday sale has surrendered to authorities, Los Angeles police said Saturday.

Police Sgt. Jose Valle said the woman who allegedly caused minor injuries to 20 shoppers at a Los Angeles-area Walmart turned herself in Friday night.

She is currently not in custody but could face battery charges, Valle said. The woman's identity was not released, but police said they plan to release more details Saturday morning.

The attack took place about 10:20 p.m. Thursday shortly after doors opened for the sale. The store had brought out a crate of discounted Xbox video game players, and a crowd had formed to wait for the unwrapping. Valle says the woman began spraying people in order to get an advantage.

The incident was among those nationwide in which violence marred the traditional kickoff to the holiday shopping season on the Friday after Thursday's Thanksgiving holiday.

In the most serious case, a robber shot a shopper who refused to give up his purchases outside a San Leandro, California, Walmart store, leaving the victim hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Police in San Leandro, about 15 miles (24 kilometres) east of San Francisco, said the victim and his family were walking to their car around 1:45 a.m. Friday when they were confronted by a group of men who demanded their shopping items. When the family refused, a fight broke out, and one of the robbers pulled a gun and shot the man, said Sgt. Mike Sobek.

Meanwhile, police in suburban Phoenix came under fire when a video was posted online showing a 54-year-old grandfather on the floor of a Walmart store with a bloody face, after police said he was subdued Thursday night trying to shoplift during a chaotic rush for discounted video games.

The video, posted on YouTube, shows Jerald Allen Newman unconscious and bloodied as outraged customers yell expletives and say "that's police brutality" and "he wasn't doing anything."

In a police report that redacted the names of officers and witnesses, Newman's wife and other witnesses said he was just trying to help his grandson after the boy was trampled by shoppers, and only put a video game in his waistband to free his hands to help the boy.

Larry Hall, assistant chief of Buckeye police, said Newman was resisting arrest and it appeared the officer acted within reason.

Hall said the officer decided to do a leg sweep and take him to the ground but the man unfortunately hit his head.

"The store was incredibly crowded, and I was concerned about other customers' safety," the officer wrote in his police report.

Hall said Newman, who had a bloody nose and received four stitches on his forehead, was booked on suspicion of shoplifting and resisting arrest.

In Sacramento, California, a man was stabbed outside a mall Friday in an apparent gang-related incident as shoppers were hitting the stores.

The victim was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

The stabbing stemmed from a fight between two groups around 3 a.m. in front of a Macy's department store at the Arden Fair Mall.

No arrests have been made. Police were hoping surveillance video will help identify the suspects.
Ugh, I hate BF with a passion.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

someone_else wrote:Also, isn't that southern part of the US? Where are trigger-happy gunmen with colts when you need them? (not to kill, but to scare her a bit into surrendering the spray)
In a geographic sense perhaps, but The South is from Texas east towards the Atlantic and south of the Mason Dixon line. California is most certainly not part of it.

I'm also reasonably certain that lunatics spraying pepper spray at shoppers is not one of those times it's legally appropriate to draw a concealed handgun. To say nothing of the ethical or safety issues that arise from that.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Destructionator XIII wrote:It's always easier to think someone is mentally ill or some kind of monster. That way, it's one of them doing it, not one of us.
It is one of them doing it, not one of us, whoever "them" turns out to be.

So its not a matter of it being easier or harder at all, really.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Destructionator XIII wrote:It's always easier to think someone is mentally ill or some kind of monster. That way, it's one of them doing it, not one of us.
It is one of them doing it, not one of us, whoever "them" turns out to be.

So its not a matter of it being easier or harder at all, really.
You've missed the point entirely. People are quick to identify wrong-doers as being some kind of "other": in this case, XIII is referring to the mentally ill. By doing this, able-minded people are able to dissasociate themselves from this kind of behaviour, because who really wants to acknowledge that they are capable of that sort of thing?

So, if she turns out to be someone who is relatively similar to us, it does in fact become harder. I'm sort of struggling with how you haven't got this.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!