IMF chief and Sarkozy frontrunner opponent arrested

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Re: IMF chief and Sarkozy frontrunner opponent arrested

Post by [R_H] »

Zed wrote:This isn't about whether you, as an individual, will have a different perception. It's about whether the public will have a different perception.
And the public consists of what exactly? Individuals. My perception of DSK was influenced by reading about all the scandals he's been wrapped up in, such as him being even accused of corruption (though he was acquited) and the other sexual misconduct. I read that before I saw a photo of him in court or wearing handcuffs.

If he were to be photographed with a coat over his hands, under which, but not visible, were handcuffs, would you be OK with that?
Zed wrote:I'd like to note that even if handcuffs are necessary, due to the danger of public opinion being inflamed against a figure, it should still not be legal to display him in handcuffs in the media.
And yet his celebrity friends are allowed to publically support him (ie Lévy supporting DSK, and all the celebrity supporters Polanski had despite being convicted felon).
Zed wrote:
And really - if showing people in handcuffs is so heinous why no outcry until DSK is in them? Where was the outrage for everyone else forced to make a perp walk? Why should he be treated differently than anyone else?
He's a public figure. Public perception has a greater influence on presidential candidates than it has on some random Joe.
And here I thought we were all equal before the law. Except public figures, the rich and the powerful, they're all more equal the us commoners.
Rabid wrote:Please, do not confuse those two cases. In the case of Roman Polanski, you have to understand that in France you cannot be put on trial for Crimes (rape, murder, etc...) that were committed more than 20 years ago. THIS was the cause of the "outrage" of some of my fellow citizens : not merely the fact that he was (illegally) taken away to be judged for his crime (in a country that doesn't have extradition treaties signed with the US - Switzerland in this case, if my memory serves me right), but that it was done more than twenty years after the fact, even when the VICTIM told the JUGE that it was unnecessary, that the case should be "dropped". THIS, and nothing else, was the cause of the outrage (the circumstances of the arrest and the Judge going against the will of the victim).
That's a bunch of bullshit. Why not? What about the rights of the victims or their families to have "justice".
Rabid wrote:Justice is Justice, not Vengeance. There is no emotions to be involved its process - only the respect of the Law, its Letter and its Spirit.
Yeah, I hope you're aware that this is a bunch of BS.
Some are more equal than the rest.

If the CSA forbids publishing images of the accused, why are their celebrity buddies allowed to voice their support? Does the latter not influence public opinion in support of the accused, if the former inflames public opinion against the accused?
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Forgot to mention in my post above.

DSK is charged with: "One count of Sexual Abuse, 3rd Degree, a B misdemeanor, in violation of N.Y. Penal Law. Two counts of Criminal Sex Act by Force, 1st Degree, B felonies, both violating P.L. One count of Unlawful Imprisonment, 2nd Degree, an A misdemeanor, in violation of P.L. One count of Sexual Abuse: Contact - Forcible Compulsion, a D felony, in violation of P.L. One count of Forcible Touching, an A misdemeanor, in violation of P.L."

Case Detail - Charges for Case # 2011NY035773, Defendant Strausskahn, Dominique
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

[R_H] wrote:
Zed wrote:This isn't about whether you, as an individual, will have a different perception. It's about whether the public will have a different perception.
And the public consists of what exactly? Individuals. My perception of DSK was influenced by reading about all the scandals he's been wrapped up in, such as him being even accused of corruption (though he was acquited) and the other sexual misconduct. I read that before I saw a photo of him in court or wearing handcuffs.
The public consists of multiple individuals, not every one of which perceives the situation the way you do.
If he were to be photographed with a coat over his hands, under which, but not visible, were handcuffs, would you be OK with that?
It depends. Will the coat have the same stigma of crime and guilt associated with it?
And yet his celebrity friends are allowed to publically support him (ie Lévy supporting DSK, and all the celebrity supporters Polanski had despite being convicted felon).
And DSK may have all the celebrity opponents to publically oppose him, if they want to. They just don't get to photograph him in handcuffs.

Zed wrote:
And really - if showing people in handcuffs is so heinous why no outcry until DSK is in them? Where was the outrage for everyone else forced to make a perp walk? Why should he be treated differently than anyone else?
He's a public figure. Public perception has a greater influence on presidential candidates than it has on some random Joe.
And here I thought we were all equal before the law. Except public figures, the rich and the powerful, they're all more equal the us commoners.
My answer was to the question as to why there was no earlier outcry or outrage. The rich and the powerful shouldn't be treated differently, but as this is a high profile case, the problem comes to the forefront.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

@ [R_H] :

Pardon, I wasn't clear enough :

About Roman Polanski :

- He didn't commit any crime in France.
- France or Switzerland don't have extradition treaties with the US, as far as I know.
- For better or for worse, France's or Switzerland's Justice system didn't agree to hand him over to the Americans.
- Which mean that he was illegally abducted
==> This is why people were outraged.

We are talking about Law and Justice, here - so the "will of the victim's family" has nothing to do with it, all the more so when the victim herself, I repeat, said that this arrest was unnecessary, and that she didn't care anymore about the guy.

Talking about "Justice" to justify illegally abducting someone seems a bit... well, I think the word is something like "oxy-moronic", or something like that.

About DSK :
[R_H] wrote:Some are more equal than the rest.

If the CSA forbids publishing images of the accused, why are their celebrity buddies allowed to voice their support? Does the latter not influence public opinion in support of the accused, if the former inflames public opinion against the accused?
Yeah, sure... But what does it have to do with what I said ? If poor people are treated like shit, does it mean that I have to treat ANYBODY like shit in return, to satisfy some distorted view of what being equal before the law mean ?

I'm no angelist, I don't look the world through rose-tinted glasses, and in fact I'm quite cynical to say the least ; but I never believed in "equalizing by the bottom" : lowering the standards for peoples to be Equals.

No. If Rich people are better treated than the Poor, it doesn't mean you have treat the Rich worst ; it only mean you have to treat the Poor better.

Do you understand where I go with this line of reasoning, or do I have to draw you a picture ?

If his friends want to voice their support, there's nothing we can do against it, because, guess what ? We have free speech. What the CSA does is merely monitoring that the media, in its treatment of DSK's "misadventures", respect the notion of "Innocent until proved guilty". What you couldn't do here, in France, is treating him as if he had already been found Guilty :

You want to praise him ? No problem ! You want to vilify him ? You can ! What you can't do, however, is treating him as if he were guilty of what he is accused of, before the court find him guilty. Is that hard to understand ?

Please note that I'm currently talking about the cadre of the law in France. What will happen to him in the US, I honestly couldn't care less.
MarshalPurnell
Padawan Learner

Post by MarshalPurnell »

Rabid wrote:@ [R_H] :

Pardon, I wasn't clear enough :

About Roman Polanski :

- France or Switzerland don't have extradition treaties with the US, as far as I know.
- For better or for worse, France's or Switzerland's Justice system didn't agree to hand him over to the Americans.

We are talking about Law and Justice, here - so the "will of the victim's family" has nothing to do with it, all the more so when the victim herself, I repeat, said that this arrest was unnecessary, and that she didn't care anymore about the guy.

Talking about "Justice" to justify illegally abducting someone seems a bit... well, I think the word is something like "oxy-moronic", or something like that.
This is completely wrong, and it makes me wonder if the French media are deliberately misreporting the facts to stir up public opinion in favor of their darling. The US had a standing arrest warrant on him since 1978, which was expanded to an international warrant in 2005. Normally Polanski kept his travel agenda quiet to avoid giving the US time to make good on the warrant, but his visit to Switzerland was announced far enough ahead of time that American prosecutors were able to contact the Swiss Ministry of Justice and request his arrest. The Swiss complied with an existing US-Swiss extradition treaty, taking him into detention where the request for extradition was processed; and the Swiss ultimately rejected the request, probably for political reasons, using as an excuse the failure to provide certain documents related to his sentencing plea. He was released and fled immediately back the bosom of a sheltering France, which of course continues to refuse to force him to return to face justice in the US.

There was no "illegal abduction" at all.

And indeed, the victim's family has nothing to do with law and justice. Roman Polanski pleaded guilty to the crimes he was charged with, which were a significant downgrade from the victim's testimony. It was not "American prudery" about sex with some nubile but technically underage girl; rather he drugged and forcibly sodomized a thirteen year old. She has been paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, and wants to undergo no more humiliation, so I guess that buys her personal forgiveness. However it does not deal with the fact that Polanski has admitted guilt to a serious crime, and then fled the country to avoid having to serve his sentence. Allowing a wealthy man to get away with that on the grounds that he is an artistic visionary is absolutely despicable and prejudicial to the idea of equality under the law. Flaunting his success in traducing the justice system, as Polanski has made a habit of doing, only makes it worse.

But yeah, way to go France. You should all definitely be real proud for standing up to the US to protect the rights of a wealthy, privileged, admitted rapist to get away from facing the consequences of his actions.
There is the moral of all human tales;
Tis but the same rehearsal of the past,
First Freedom, and then Glory — when that fails,
Wealth, vice, corruption, — barbarism at last.

-Lord Byron, from 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage'
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

You do seem to be ignoring the judge's reneging on the plea bargain.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

I admit knowing nothing specific about Polanski's case, only what I heard on the TV or the Radio. I only report what I heard, or think I understood, from these sources.
MarshalPurnell
Padawan Learner

Post by MarshalPurnell »

Zed wrote:You do seem to be ignoring the judge's reneging on the plea bargain.
It is disputed whether or not that ever happened, and in any case American judges are under no obligation to accept the terms of a plea bargain, which are worked out between the defense and prosecution. "Time served" in the amount of 46 days is absolutely not anywhere close to what, say, a poor black man would have gotten for committing Polanski's crimes. So cry me a bloody river that Polanski felt entitled to wield his privilege to get out of prison, and then used his resources to flee when it looked as if (not that we know since he fled sentencing) he might go to prison for a few months and get deported.
There is the moral of all human tales;
Tis but the same rehearsal of the past,
First Freedom, and then Glory — when that fails,
Wealth, vice, corruption, — barbarism at last.

-Lord Byron, from 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Rabid wrote:Please, do not confuse those two cases. In the case of Roman Polanski, you have to understand that in France you cannot be put on trial for Crimes (rape, murder, etc...) that were committed more than 20 years ago.
Being “put on trial” is irrelevant in the case of Polanski. The trial already happened. Should he ever set foot in the US again (voluntarily or not) there will be no trial. He will be taken to the State of California to serve out his sentence.

You see, while there is a statute of limitations on most crimes in the US (though not on murder) there is NOTHING that says “if you escape jail for X numbers of years you're free”. It doesn't work that way here.
THIS was the cause of the "outrage" of some of my fellow citizens : not merely the fact that he was (illegally) taken away to be judged for his crime (in a country that doesn't have extradition treaties signed with the US - Switzerland in this case, if my memory serves me right), but that it was done more than twenty years after the fact, even when the VICTIM told the JUGE that it was unnecessary, that the case should be "dropped".
His victim may have forgiven him, but the State of California has not. The only way to get out of his sentence (other than avoiding the US for the rest of his life, which might be a condition he finds perfectly agreeable) is to have the governor of California either pardon him or commute his sentence. There is no other mechanism. (Well, OK, the President of the US could probably do that, too, but that sort of thing is normally left to governors)
THIS, and nothing else, was the cause of the outrage (the circumstances of the arrest and the Judge going against the will of the victim).
The “will of the victim” has what exactly to do with this? Trial was Polanski vs. the State of California, not some other collection of parties. We don't allow vindictive victims to torture perpatrators, nor do we allow generous ones to issue legal pardons.
Rabid wrote:About Roman Polanski :

I wish to emphasize that I in no way condone illegal abduction. I fully concur that he has committed no crime in France and thus France is under no obligation to detain him, much less hand him over. It would be blatantly illegal for someone to go to France and abduct M. Polanski. Even if France (or anyone else) happened to have him in custody for whatever reason, they are still under no obligation to extradite him to California (and properly speaking, it's to California he should be extradited, not the US Federal government which has no jurisdiction over rape).

However, California (probably with the Feds speaking on their behalf) has every right to ask that he be turned over, seeing as he is a convicted felon. France has every right to refuse. The United States then have a right to decide that, should another French citizen break the law here they won't grant bail because they don't want to run the risk of said person escaping justice where the crime occurred. Everyone is within their rights to do all of the above – but every action (or inaction) has consequences. A possible consequence of choosing to ignore an extradition request is that other people are denied bail in the future. There is no violation of law there, just two not-quite-the-same legal systems rubbing up against each other.
It is out of the hands of the victim. It's the State of California that he requires forgiveness from at this point, not his victim. That is how the law works in California.
He has been ACCUSED of having raped someone, possibly with additional violence. He has NOT YET been found guilty of it.

Thus, from the French point of view, he has still to be treated by the medias as innocent. This mean, between other things, that he shouldn't be shown handcuffed or restrained.
Getting handcuffed by the police in the US is clearly not the Big Deal it is in Europe, then. If you at an altercation in the US a typical tactic by the police is to cuff everyone and sort out the guilty from the innocent later. LOTS of people have been cuffed in the US who were later uncuffed without even being charged with anything, and you'll never get any judge to rule that abuse because it's not seen as something to get that upset about. Do you get that? It's not seen the same way. It's not good, but from what I've gathered it's seen as a LOT more humiliating in the Europe than in the US. From the America viewpoint it looks like people getting upset over very little indeed.

The US will be very careful to describe him with words like “alleged” and “accused”, but frankly watching the wording is seen as much more important here than the visuals. Let me put it this way – if DSK wanted to sue someone over the perceived humiliation of being handcuffed no US judge would do anything but laugh the case out of court. If, however, a media outlet did not carefully put “alleged” or “accused” in front of the word “rape” he could sue, likely successfully, for a great deal of money.

This is what I mean by a culture clash – in France, there is a great deal of concern over the visuals. In the US, there is a great deal of concern over how he described verbally. The two nations have different priorities in regards to how “presumed innocent” is portrayed, and that's where the problem comes in.
Hell, even someone being shown guilty would be protected : we have already evolved far beyond the point of publicly lynching people here, you know ?
In the US, being pictured in handcuffs is so far away from an actual lynching that comparing the two would be laughable.
As everybody else, he has by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the US has signed and agreed to follow as a founder of the United Nations, the inalienable right to be offered a fair trial (Articles 7, 10 and 11-1).
In the US, having your picture taken while you're in handcuffs is not seen as inherently interferring with a fair trial. If the defendant/lawyers feel that, in a particular case, such a photo did poison the jury pool then they can petition for a change of venue or request a bench trial, without a jury and just a judge. You have a right to a jury trial, you are not compelled to have one. If you think a judge sans jury will give you a better deal you can ask for that.
Zed wrote:
[R_H] wrote:If he were to be photographed with a coat over his hands, under which, but not visible, were handcuffs, would you be OK with that?
It depends. Will the coat have the same stigma of crime and guilt associated with it?
Actually, in the US, attempting to hide the cuffs might be interpreted as guilty shame and call more attention to them than otherwise. Really, a confident walk with head held high, portraying the innocent man unjustly accused (a movie/story meme here in the US) might work more in his favor than anything else – though admittedly that can be quite hard to pull off with confidence.

Seriously, the American public will notice an attempt to conceal handcuffs far more than they will notice the cuffs themselves.

Now, if, say, some US financial big shot was accused of rape in France then, naturally, French law and custom would apply. Displaying a photo of such a man in handcuffs would be illegal and should be dealt with under French law. Thing is, DSK was arrested in the US, where US law and custom apply. The media will carefully avoid describing him as guilty, but sorry, photos are allowed.

ETA: I was not aware there was an international arrest warrant for Polanski - that does change the situation from what I described above.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And... DSK has been granted bail, under the following terms:

- surrender of passport and other travel documents
- 24 home detention (house arrest) with electronic monitoring
- armed guard on duty at all times, paid for by Strauss-Kahn
- $1 million cash bail
- $5 million insurance bond

He has now been formally indited by a grand jury. I sincerely hope he gets a fair and speedy trial, and that he and the woman involved can then get on with their lives.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Is this the thread where Europeans turn their noses up at us backwards Americans for daring to treat an accused rapist (who is also incredibly wealthy and influential) as if he actually committed a crime? I never really thought that American attitudes with regard to sex and sex crimes were all that progressive, but compared to the attitudes being introduced here, we're positively enlightened compared to the French.

Of course, considering this is the same country where a judge "dismissed the rape with the attitude, “You’re an actress in pornographic films, so you can’t complain,” I'm not sure I'm all that surprised. One level of justice for the rich, another for commoners, and it appears to be accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffa%C3%ABla_Anderson
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:Is this the thread where Europeans turn their noses up at us backwards Americans for daring to treat an accused rapist (who is also incredibly wealthy and influential) as if he actually committed a crime?
Yup, because he's been accused of a crime. Whether he's actually committed it remains to be seen.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

*shrug*

I, personally, don't give a flying fuck about the case of Strauss-Kahn, Polanski, or anybody else for that matter. I did only try bring the French point of view on the affair - not mine, but what I heard on the TV, on the Radio, on the Papers, etc...

I recognize some things I have said earlier can be factually wrong. I just repeat what I have heard on the subject while not actively listening to what was being said (as I stopped following the news since quite some time, now). In short, I only bring you our local "propaganda".

The confrontation of differing point of view on the matter of the "presumption of innocence", I find interesting.

What I said earlier was poorly thought, and poorly translated. I note that there is relatively little differences between the French and the American way on this subject, mostly a question of little details - the biggest being the role of the media in the judiciary procedure so far (I wish to remind everyone that it is absolutely forbidden to bring even a camera in a Tribunal here).

What "shock" people here isn't that some rich white guy is being judged for an alleged rape - only his close friends are showing concern about that. What the rest of the people are talking about is the affair itself, its repercussion on the French political arena (which is, frankly, the only real point of interest of this affair so far, at least for us), and how the trial is being conducted (because the only thing people here know of the US judiciary system is what we can see in the US cop shows). That's all. There is no indignation in the vein of "How could these damn yankees dare judge on of Us like this !". Nothing like that at all.

Anyway, I see I have a tendency to shitpost a lot in this thread, it seems...
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Presumption of Innocence 101:
Treat the accused person like an innocent one until convicted by a judge, no matter how obvious the guilt.

Really, it's not that hard. You are NOT allowed to punish someone for a deed he has not been convicted off, and treating someone like a convicted criminal is certainly punishment.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

Rabid wrote:What "shock" people here isn't that some rich white guy is being judged for an alleged rape - only his close friends are showing concern about that. What the rest of the people are talking about is the affair itself, its repercussion on the French political arena (which is, frankly, the only real point of interest of this affair so far, at least for us), and how the trial is being conducted (because the only thing people here know of the US judiciary system is what we can see in the US cop shows). That's all. There is no indignation in the vein of "How could these damn yankees dare judge on of Us like this !". Nothing like that at all.
Oh?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/779abbfe-814d ... z1Mpmnhxx5
Financial Times wrote:Some 57 per cent of those questioned in a poll this week believe that Mr Strauss-Kahn, a widely popular Socialist politician who was preparing to launch a campaign for the presidency next year, has been stitched up. The figure shoots up to 70 per cent among Socialist voters.(...)
“It highlights France’s denial . . . People do not want to believe it and it is interesting from the collective psychology point of view,” said Jérome Sainte-Marie, political director at polling group CSA, in an interview with 20 Minutes, the free daily for whom the survey was taken, along with BFMTV et RMC. The survey questioned 1,007 people on May 16.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

IMF chief's arrest stirs up anti-Americanism in France
Many French object to the handling of Dominique Strauss-Kahn's arrest on sexual assault charges. But their reaction may be based less on loathing and more on a vast cultural divide.

It was only a matter of time after the arrest in New York of Dominique Strauss-Kahn on sexual assault charges before the America-bashing would begin in France.

On day one, the scandal involving the International Monetary Fund chief and a hotel maid brought shock and stupefaction. Day two, shame and self-pity. By day three, France was looking for a messenger to shoot, someone to blame for the likely political loss of the Socialist Party leader many believed would be the next president.

And so the country launched itself into one of its predictable, periodic spasms of anti-Americanism.

How outrageous that New York police led Strauss-Kahn out of a Police Department facility in handcuffs, resulting in "grotesque" photographs, which nevertheless were widely published in France. What about the presumption of innocence? France wailed about headlines in U.S. tabloids, many of which were reproduced for French readers.

How could a judge throw Strauss-Kahn, DSK no less, into Rikers Island prison, which, readers of Le Figaro newspaper were informed, was noisy, overcrowded, dangerous and filled with prisoners carrying contagious diseases?

"There are numerous very heavy barred doors that make a noise each time they are opened or closed," French lawyer Gerald Lefcourt told the paper. Worse still, he said, "The food is terrible."

The American justice system has been deemed vastly inferior to France's system, which is based on the 1804 Napoleonic Code.

"In America only the wealthy can afford the best lawyers," one radio commentator lamented. Nobody pointed out that Strauss-Kahn is wealthy and can afford the best lawyers.

The reaction by many in France may be based less on loathing and more on a cultural divide wider, deeper and choppier than the Atlantic Ocean separating the two countries.

In sexual matters, the French consider themselves open-minded and liberal and dismiss Americans in particular — and Anglo-Saxons in general — as puritanical and uptight. It follows, therefore, that a French politician's sexual peccadilloes, extramarital affairs and indiscretions are nobody's business but his own.

It helps that much of the French news media, using privacy laws as a fig leaf, buys into this, creating an omerta around politicians and celebrities.

There is a sense in France of one rule for the elite and another for the rest of the population. It was brought into sharp focus Tuesday when French broadcast authorities warned news organizations that images of suspects in handcuffs, not unusual with noncelebrity suspects, contravened the law regarding the "dignity" of detainees.

French philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy told French radio he was outraged by the "grotesque" media lynching of his friend, who he said was being "thrown to the dogs."

"Do you think for a second we would be friends if I thought DSK was a compulsive rapist, a Neanderthal?" he said.

Strauss-Kahn's lawyer entered a not-guilty plea Monday on four felony counts, including sexual abuse and attempted rape, and three misdemeanors. Strauss-Kahn, who was denied bail, did not address the court.

While some viewed Strauss-Kahn and France as victims of the scandal, few spared a thought for the woman he is accused of attacking Saturday.

In truth, it takes very little for France to revert to its default position on the United States. Sniping about the invasion of McDonald's or Starbucks on the Grands Boulevards of Paris, niggling about Americans buying up real estate in the chic parts of town and country (the British are just as bad, but everyone thinks they're American), criticizing the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and trashing the cultural omnipresence of Walt Disney Co.

Today, thanks to Strauss-Kahn, the French who choose to criticize the U.S. have a fresh reason to shake their heads and point fingers at the country they love to hate.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Broomstick wrote:And... DSK has been granted bail, under the following terms:

- surrender of passport and other travel documents
- 24 home detention (house arrest) with electronic monitoring
- armed guard on duty at all times, paid for by Strauss-Kahn
- $1 million cash bail
- $5 million insurance bond

He has now been formally indited by a grand jury. I sincerely hope he gets a fair and speedy trial, and that he and the woman involved can then get on with their lives.
Yeah, looks like you were spot on: the US authorities are obviously afraid he'll scoot over to France.

So far, the case is being handled pretty reasonably. I mean, the judge could've set some ridiculous bail like 50 gazillion dollars if he really wanted to just stick it to the man.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Serafina wrote:Presumption of Innocence 101:
Treat the accused person like an innocent one until convicted by a judge, no matter how obvious the guilt.

Really, it's not that hard. You are NOT allowed to punish someone for a deed he has not been convicted off, and treating someone like a convicted criminal is certainly punishment.
You're absolutely correct. However, you must also acknowledge the difference in cultures. In the US, being handcuffed after being arrested or while in custody is absolutely normal. It is not punishment. It is policy, and it is that way for a reason.

However, I do agree that the media should not be allowed to post pictures of such things. I'd actually like to see a reform of US media and how it conducts business.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Edit : ninja'ed, post adressed at Zed's last post

I do not see how it contradict what I have said...

There IS concern that this might be a "coup monté" : after all, the arrest was annouced on twitter by one of the leader of the "Jeunesse Populaires" (an organization that regroup the young supporters of the UMP, Sarkozy's party) on his twitter account only twenty minutes after the facts. So this leaves a certain discomfort, a funny taste in the mouth : "And if ?...".

What people think is not : "This guy can't be guilty of THAT ! He's too white, too rich, too powerful ! You can't judged someone like that !".
No, the reactioninstead is : "Oh my, this is sooo convenient for Sarkozy right now ! I wonder still : Isn't it a bit too convenient ? And see how they are prompt to judge him ! And this random guy, there, announcing the arrest almost when it happened... Surely, there's something fishy there".

So, as I said, it doesn't contradict my previous statement.
Last edited by Rabid on 2011-05-19 05:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

The reference to Levy in the article is somewhat of a selective quote. His full article on the matter can be found here: http://www.bernard-henri-levy.com/defen ... 18909.html

My French isn't ideal, but his objections to the entire situation include: the paparazzi following him around during these events, the fact that the burden of proof is brought upon DSK to prove the woman is lying rather than on the woman to prove he's guilty, the press depicting DSK as a pervert without verifying it, with the French who're abusing the scandal, with the commentators who're immediately jumping to the political consequences of this, and with the woman who didn't talk for eight years and suddenly comes forward complaining about DSK as well.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

So, now, you understand why people here are expressing some concern that this affair might not be as straightforward as we'd like to think. After all, our Elites have a long tradition of trying to politically "assassinate" the concurrence with all sorts of dirty, dirty tricks. No blows are too low to inflict. :)

Edit :

Plus, if you want to already go in conspiracy theory territory, the US would themselves have an interest in ousting DSK from his post in the IMF, in order to propose instead their own pawn and further their own agenda.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Maybe a little OT but was he ever a serious contender for the presidency? From what I hear (though thats not much) he wasn't seen as a "real" socialist, anyways.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

If this hadn't happened, he was fairly certain to get the nomination, and if so, almost certain of the presidency.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

^ What Zed said.

But you are right in that he isn't a "real" socialist (as is the also the case for almost all of his colleagues in the Socialist Party). His economic policies could be described as being, at best, a bit on the left of the Center. In my opinion, it is more close to a light Center-right. But in no way is he a Leftist.

Note : the only real differences in France between political ideologies are Economic policies, Social ideologies, and recently "how exactly do we do to save the Planet ?", aka "Environmental Protection policies". Culture is always being financed, no matter the government. From left to right, we don't talk so much about cutting expense than about what taxes we should raise - even if the right is always agitating the red rag of the High Taxes during election times, even when they are the ones who instituted said taxes in the first time...
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I got the feeling it was a little conveniently timed, to be honest. Sarkozy is considered a strong ally of US interests at the moment, isn't he? I mean, generally, even if he diverges on individual issues. If the rest of the field isn't very strong Sarkozy has a much better chance of reelection. Perhaps he too will eliminate a great threat to the nation?
XXXI